Lesson 3. Introduction to Raashi (Rashi = Signs).

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

vivekvshetty

Re: Lesson 3. Introduction to Raashi (Rashi = Signs).

Post by vivekvshetty » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:57 pm

Namaskaar Krishnakumar ji,
Good answers and thank you for answering. Many have not bothered to answer.
The last question was expecting a more detailed answer and also some background study.

RishiRahul and vivek.
Krishnakumar M R wrote:Respected Guruji (s),

Please find my answers below :
vivekvshetty wrote:Introduction to Raashi.
Q1: What does the word Vishnu mean?

Protector... Undefeatable...

Q2: Which story in Hindu mythology depicts these three steps?

Sanaatan dharma or eternal righteousness - Rig Veda.

And also it reminds Vaamana Avtar of Sri Vishnu and the Great Mahabali Chakravarthi where in Vishnu kept his third feet on Mahabali chakravarthis head.

Q3: Is the day and night really equal on the day of equinox? Why is it so?

Yes. When the sun is exactly at the center of bot the north and south point, the day and night were equal length.
Krishna

Krishnakumar M R

Re: Lesson 3. Introduction to Raashi (Rashi = Signs).

Post by Krishnakumar M R » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:24 pm

vivekvshetty wrote:Namaskaar Krishnakumar ji,
Good answers and thank you for answering. Many have not bothered to answer.
The last question was expecting a more detailed answer and also some background study.

RishiRahul and vivek.

Please find my answers below :
vivekvshetty wrote:Introduction to Raashi.
Q1: What does the word Vishnu mean?

Protector... Undefeatable...

Q2: Which story in Hindu mythology depicts these three steps?

Sanaatan dharma or eternal righteousness - Rig Veda.

And also it reminds Vaamana Avtar of Sri Vishnu and the Great Mahabali Chakravarthi where in Vishnu kept his third feet on Mahabali chakravarthis head.

Q3: Is the day and night really equal on the day of equinox? Why is it so?

Yes. When the sun is exactly at the center of bot the north and south point, the day and night were equal length.
Krishna
Respected Guruji,

I have copied few points from different websites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equinox

An equinox occurs twice a year, when the tilt of the Earth's axis is inclined neither away from nor towards the Sun, the Sun being vertically above a point on the Equator. The term equinox can also be used in a broader sense, meaning the date when such a passage happens. The name "equinox" is derived from the Latin aequus (equal) and nox (night), because around the equinox, the night and day are approximately equally long. It may be better understood to mean that latitudes +L and -L north and south of the equator experience nights of equal length.

On a day of the equinox, the centre of the Sun spends a roughly equal amount of time above and below the horizon at every location on the Earth, night and day being of roughly the same length.

An equinox happens each year at two specific moments in time (rather than two whole days), when there is a location on the Earth's Equator where the centre of the Sun can be observed to be vertically overhead, occurring around March 20/21 and September 22/23 each year.

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wequinox.htm

Source: U.S. Naval Observatory

By Jack Williams, USATODAY.com

Each March at a particular instant, around the 20th, the sun is directly above the equator. This is the spring equinox. In September, around the 22nd, the sun is again above the equator at the fall equinox.

Often you hear that day and night are equal length on the spring and fall equinox, but that's not the case. In fact, day and night are equal length for a few days around the time of the equinoxes.

On the equinox, the sun's center sets 12 hours after it rose all over the world.

But, sunrise and sunset occur when the top of the sun, not its center, is on the horizon. This alone would make the time of sunrise and sunset a little more than 12 hours apart on these days.

In addition, as the graphic above shows, the earth's atmosphere refracts, or bends, light from the sun. As a result, the top of the sun appears to be above the horizon when it is actually below the horizon.

In calculating sunrise and sunset times, the U.S. Naval Observatory uses 34 minutes for the angle of refraction and 16 minutes for the semi diameter of the sun's disc. In other words, the center of the sun is actually 50 minutes of one degree below a regular and unobstructed horizon at the time of sun rise.

The following table shows sunrise and sunset times for Chicago around the time of the spring equinox. They are typical.

Date     Sunrise       Sunset         Daylight
March 17  6:00 a.m. 5:59 p.m. 11 hours, 59 min.
March 18  5:58 a.m. 6:00 p.m. 12 hours, 2 min.
March 19  5:56 a.m. 6:01 p.m. 12 hours, 5 min.
March 20  5:54 a.m. 6:02 p.m. 12 hours, 8 min.

Krishna
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Krishnakumar M R

Re: Colors of the Raashis

Post by Krishnakumar M R » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:04 pm

vivekvshetty wrote:Colors of the Raashis.

Why do you think all my Titles for the Lessons start with green?
Well you see my Guru is placed in Mithuna and i am teaching here (The graha Guru is the teacher in the planetary cabinet). Guru is also the lord of my Lagna (first house).

Such innumreable uses can be found and made use of.
Respected Guruji (s),

I am confussed...

As you have mentioned for Mithuna Raashi the colour is green. Your Guru is in Mithuna and the Lagna is also Mithuna. You have mentioned that because of this you are using all the topic in green.

I got confussed here only. As per my chart my lagna is dhanus/r and my guru is in vrishabha. So which colour I should use.

Secondly is this colour concept applicable to graha or raashi.

Third, for Mithuna, Rashi lord or graha is Budha. If so why the importance is given to guru rather than budha (as mentioned by you).

Please tollerate and explain me even though it is silly question.

Krishna

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:01 pm

Let us do this one step at a time, taking my chart as example.
Lagna is Dhanus, its lord is Guru.
This Guru is placed in Mithuna, Now to activate Guru i use the color of the Raashi it is placed in.
The color of Mithuna is Green. Hence i use green colored fonts.

question arises as to why Guru.
Well it is my Lagan Lord and hence Mithuna is my Paaka Lagna. This where i apply my intelligence. I want all our lesson to have the Blessings of the great Graha Guru.
So you see this is a remedy i use to see to it that the lessons turn out intelligent to the learner.

Same way other Grahas can be activated by using the colors of the raashi they are placed in. This is a cheaper alternative to wearing costly gemstones.
Rest of your questions are technical and we think we have amply demonstrated the use of this principle. Of course a color can be used in many different ways.

Rishirahul and vivek.
Krishnakumar M R wrote:
vivekvshetty wrote:Colors of the Raashis.

Why do you think all my Titles for the Lessons start with green?
Well you see my Guru is placed in Mithuna and i am teaching here (The graha Guru is the teacher in the planetary cabinet). Guru is also the lord of my Lagna (first house).

Such innumreable uses can be found and made use of.
Respected Guruji (s),

I am confussed...

As you have mentioned for Mithuna Raashi the colour is green. Your Guru is in Mithuna and the Lagna is also Mithuna. You have mentioned that because of this you are using all the topic in green.

I got confussed here only. As per my chart my lagna is dhanus/r and my guru is in vrishabha. So which colour I should use.

Secondly is this colour concept applicable to graha or raashi.

Third, for Mithuna, Rashi lord or graha is Budha. If so why the importance is given to guru rather than budha (as mentioned by you).

Please tollerate and explain me even though it is silly question.

Krishna

Krishnakumar M R

Post by Krishnakumar M R » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:00 am

Respected Guruji (s),

Namaste...

Thanks for clarification....  Still I have doubts Vivekji.  

First doubt     : In order to get sucess in examinations what color do you suggest for me ? (Lagna is in Dhanus & Guru is in Vrishabha - 6th Bhava).

Second doubt : In order to activate the graha which is not in good placement what clour is to be used ?

Pl. clarify my doubts...

Krishna
This Guru is placed in Mithuna, Now to activate Guru i use the color of the Raashi it is placed in.

Well it is my Lagan Lord and hence Mithuna is my Paaka Lagna. This where i apply my intelligence. I want all our lesson to have the Blessings of the great Graha Guru.
So you see this is a remedy i use to see to it that the lessons turn out intelligent to the learner.

Same way other Grahas can be activated by using the colors of the raashi they are placed in. This is a cheaper alternative to wearing costly gemstones.
Rest of your questions are technical and we think we have amply demonstrated the use of this principle. Of course a color can be used in many different ways.

Rishirahul and vivek.

gaonkarswapnil

Post by gaonkarswapnil » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:20 am

Dear Vivek ji

I would like to ask a doubt

Since you explained about why you use green as your guru is in mithuna (Guru natural karaka for teacher) so as a learner like me can use colour where mercury is placed in particular rashi since mercury is a karaka for a learner

Regards

Swapnil
Swapnil from mumbai looking for future

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:13 pm

Guru in the sixth as Lagna lord is a very great Yoga for success in competition, specially competitive exams as it is said to cause Dheemanta yoga. So wearing Vrishabha color is recommended.
Question is that can you use the color suitable as the ink in written exams?
It may not be allowed by the authorities. So what to do?

Why would one want to activate a Graha in Bad placements?
A Graha in bad placement is appeased.
RishiRahul and vivek.  

Namaste...

First doubt     : In order to get sucess in examinations what color do you suggest for me ? (Lagna is in Dhanus & Guru is in Vrishabha - 6th Bhava).

Second doubt : In order to activate the graha which is not in good placement what clour is to be used ?

Pl. clarify my doubts...

Krishna

Rishirahul and vivek.
Last edited by vivekvshetty on Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:25 pm

Namaskaar Swapnil ji,
Why did i use green color? is it only because it is the Raashi in which Gruru is placed or were there other factors also taken in account?
Budha is a learner no doubt but there are many factors involved. Sometimes everything aligns perfectly and sometime you have to make a compromise.
RishiRahul and vivek.
gaonkarswapnil wrote:Dear Vivek ji

I would like to ask a doubt

Since you explained about why you use green as your guru is in mithuna (Guru natural karaka for teacher) so as a learner like me can use colour where mercury is placed in particular rashi since mercury is a karaka for a learner

Regards

Swapnil

Krishnakumar M R

Post by Krishnakumar M R » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:29 pm

Guru in the sixth as Lagna lord is a very great Yoga for success in competition, specially competitive exams as it is said to cause Dheemanta yoga. So wearing Vrishabha color is recommended.
Question is that can you use the color suitable as the ink in written exams?
It may not be allowed by the authorities. So what to do?

Why would one want to activate a Graha in Bad placements?
A Graha in bad placement is appeased.
RishiRahul and vivek.  

Namaste...

Pl. clarify my doubts...

Krishna

Rishirahul and vivek.
Respected Guruji,

Namaste....

I am sorry... I have thought of something but missed in typing... Actually my question is ...

In order to activate the graha which is not in good placement but in a favourable way to us what clour is to be used ?

In otherwords, how to over come this sort ofplacement using the appropriate colour'.

I request your honour to explain this..

Krishna

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:44 pm

Namaskaar krishnakumar ji,
For judging a graha and trying to fathom the type of result it will give requires some experience.
First thing to see is if the Graha will give good or bad result.
Second is to see if it is strong or weak.
If it is promising good to the native but weak, then it needs to be strengthened. this can be done in various ways. wearing the clothes of the color of the Raashi it is placed is one of them.
If it is strong and at a particular point of time need the Graha to help us, then we have to activate it. this can also be done by using the color of the raashi it is placed in. This acts as a trigger.
If a Graha is bad then it need pacification and appeasement. You would not want to activate the Graha before this is done.

Also remember that a graha has many roles to play in the chart and it may be good for some activity and bad for other activities. This is were experience and knowledge of the Jyotish helps.
We hope things are much more clearer now.

One thing we want request is to please not use words in your post which we have highlighted in your post below(see the quote below). You are doing it in good faith but it causes us some embarreshment. Such terms a re used in the law court and this forum is hardly that.

RishiRahul and vivek.    
Krishnakumar M R wrote: Namaste....

I am sorry... I have thought of something but missed in typing... Actually my question is ...

In order to activate the graha which is not in good placement but in a favourable way to us what clour is to be used ?

In otherwords, how to over come this sort ofplacement using the appropriate colour'.

I request your honour to explain this..

Krishna

Krishnakumar M R

Post by Krishnakumar M R » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:16 pm

Dear Guruji,

Namaste...

Thank you so much for clarifying the doubts.

I will ensure that I will not use the words... and I feel really sorry...

Krishna

Krishnakumar M R

Re: More on Raashis.

Post by Krishnakumar M R » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:26 pm

Respected Guruji,

Namaste.

Kindly let us know what are all the male grahas falls under fire and air sign.

Krishna

vivekvshetty wrote:Odd and even Raashis
Raashis reckoned from Mesha onwards are alternately male and female, which shows the nature to be harsh or gentle respectively. They do not per see represent the sex.
Male & female is an inner attribute of being harsh and pushing or mild and passive. The rising Raashi (Lagna) leaves this imprint on the inner nature and attitude.
Count the signs from Mesha and the odd signs (visama Raashi) are said to be male in their inner nature and harsh in their behavior. They are go-getters and can be very pushing to achieve their objectives. These are Mesha, Mithuna, Simha, Tula, Dhanu, and Kumbha. These are the fire and air signs of which the fire signs can be more harsh and burning whereas the air signs can be slower to react but very harsh in their continued aggression (The elements of the Raashis will be given later).

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:35 pm

what do you thing will happen?
RishiRahul and vivek.
Krishnakumar M R wrote:Respected Guruji,

Namaste.

Krishna

Raashis reckoned from Mesha onwards are alternately male and female, which shows the nature to be harsh or gentle respectively. They do not per see represent the sex.
Male & female is an inner attribute of being harsh and pushing or mild and passive. The rising Raashi (Lagna) leaves this imprint on the inner nature and attitude.
Count the signs from Mesha and the odd signs (visama Raashi) are said to be male in their inner nature and harsh in their behavior. They are go-getters and can be very pushing to achieve their objectives. These are Mesha, Mithuna, Simha, Tula, Dhanu, and Kumbha. These are the fire and air signs of which the fire signs can be more harsh and burning whereas the air signs can be slower to react but very harsh in their continued aggression (The elements of the Raashis will be given later).

Krishnakumar M R

Post by Krishnakumar M R » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:58 pm

Respected Guruji,

I am sorry for not making my question clear....

Actually my question is From the Odd and even Raashis :

"The even numbered signs (sama Raashi) are female in their inner nature and are not harsh. They are passive in their attitudes and behavior. These are the water signs – Kark, Vrischika, Meena and the earth signs – Vrishabha, Kanya, Makara. The water signs are more passive than the earthy Raashis"

But in the case of visama Raashi, it has been mentioned as "Mesha, Mithuna, Simha, Tula, Dhanu, and Kumbha. These are the fire and air signs".  Out of which what are all the Raashi's belongs to Fire and Air.

Krishna
what do you thing will happen?
RishiRahul and vivek.

Namaste.

Krishna

[/b]

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:51 am

Read the subsequent posts, it is given there.

RishiRahul and vivek.

I am sorry for not making my question clear....

Actually my question is From the Odd and even Raashis :

"The even numbered signs (sama Raashi) are female in their inner nature and are not harsh. They are passive in their attitudes and behavior. These are the water signs – Kark, Vrischika, Meena and the earth signs – Vrishabha, Kanya, Makara. The water signs are more passive than the earthy Raashis"

But in the case of visama Raashi, it has been mentioned as "Mesha, Mithuna, Simha, Tula, Dhanu, and Kumbha. These are the fire and air signs".  Out of which what are all the Raashi's belongs to Fire and Air.

Krishna

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”