Lesson 3. Introduction to Raashi (Rashi = Signs).

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

Krishnakumar M R

Post by Krishnakumar M R » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:32 am

Dear Guruji,

Namaste...

Thanks.. I have read the subsequent post and got the anwers.

But still I have doubt :

As per the below mentioned topic:

Male signs are fire and air signs &
Female sings are water and earth.

But in the other topic it is mentioned as :

All odd signs except Mithuna and Kumbha are Male Raashis. Mithuna and Kumbha are Female Raashis.
All even signs except Kark and Meena are Female Raashis. Kark and Meena are male signs.

If it is so, Mithuna & Kumbha should fall under either water or earth and Kark & Meena should falls under either fire or air signs... But it is not so.... Is there any inner concept behind that... Kindly explain....

Krishna
vivekvshetty wrote:Odd and even Raashis
Count the signs from Mesha and the odd signs (visama Raashi) are said to be male in their ‘inner nature’ and harsh in their behavior. They are go-getters and can be very pushing to achieve their objectives. These are Mesha, Mithuna, Simha, Tula, Dhanu, and Kumbha. These are the fire and air signs of which the fire signs can be more harsh and ‘burning’ whereas the air signs can be slower to react but very harsh in their continued aggression (The elements of the Raashis will be given later).
The even numbered signs (sama Raashi) are female in their inner nature and are not harsh. They are passive in their attitudes and behavior. These are the water signs – Kark, Vrischika, Meena and the earth signs – Vrishabha, Kanya, Makara. The water signs are more passive than the earthy Raashis.

Sex of the Raashis.
To see the sex of people (children, siblings, business partners etc) the Raashis are classified as follows.
All odd signs except Mithuna and Kumbha are Male Raashis. Mithuna and Kumbha are Female Raashis.
All even signs except Kark and Meena are Female Raashis. Kark and Meena are male signs.

Krishnakumar M R

Post by Krishnakumar M R » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:33 am

Respected Guruji,

Please find the answers below:

Krishna
vivekvshetty wrote: Q1: List out the twenty four tattvas of Sankhya Philosophy.

Twenty Four Tattvas are -

1) Prakriti
 2) Mahat
 3) Ahamkara
 4) Manas
 5) One of Panch Jnana Indriyas - Eyes
 6) One of Panch Jnana Indriyas - Nose
 7) One of Panch Jnana Indriyas - Mouth
 8) One of Panch Jnana Indriyas - Ear
 9) One of Panch Jnana Indriyas - Skin
10) One of Tanmatras - Sight
11) One of Tanmatras - Smell
12) One of Tanmatras - Taste
13) One of Tanmatras - Touch
14) One of Tanmatras - Hearing
15) One of Panch Karma Indriyas - Hands
16) One of Panch Karma Indriyas - Legs
17) One of Panch Karma Indriyas - Vocal Apparatus
18) One of Panch Karma Indriyas - Urino-Genetial Organ
19) One of Panch Karma Indriyas - Anus
20) One of Panch Mahahuta - Ether / Space
21) One of Panch Mahahuta - Air
22) One of Panch Mahahuta - Fire
23) One of Panch Mahahuta - Water &
24) One of Panch Mahahuta - Earth

Q2: The three gunas correspond to the three main deities of the Hindu pantheon, list them and find who corresponds to which guna.

Sattva Guna correspond to Lord Vishnu
Rajas Guna correspond to Lord Brahma &
Tamas Guna corresond to Lord Shiva

Q3: After how many Raashis do the Gunas repeat?

Two.

Explanation

Twelve signs from Mesha are successively Chara, Sthira & Dwishbhaava in nature and this is repeated again cyclically for other remaining Raashis.

Q4: After how many Raashis do the Tattvas repeat?

Three.

Explanation:

From the below, it can be noticed that Agni, Prithvi, Vaayu and Jala are getting repeated after 3.

1 Mesha Agni / Fire
2 Vrsihabha Prithvi / Earth
3 Mithuna Vaayu / Air
4 Kark Jala / Water
5 Simha Agni / Fire
6 Kanya Prithvi / Earth
7 Tula Vaayu / Air
8 Vrischika Jala / Water
9 Dhanus Agni / Fire
10 Makara Prithvi / Earth
11 Kumbha Vaayu / Air
12 Meena Jala / Water
Last edited by Krishnakumar M R on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Krishnakumar M R

Re: Colors of the Raashis

Post by Krishnakumar M R » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:33 am

Respected Guruji,

Namaste...

I am keep on posting so many (silly) questions... Please bear with me...

1) Do we have a separate topic/lesson for "Grahas and their placement in a paricular bhava whether good or malefic".

Example : Surya 1st Bhava - Good, Surya & Chandra in second bhava - malefic etc...

2) In order to consider a Graha whether it is placed in good position or malefic position, do we need to consider the Raashi or Lagna as base ?

Krishna
vivekvshetty wrote:Namaskaar krishnakumar ji,
For judging a graha and trying to fathom the type of result it will give requires some experience.
First thing to see is if the Graha will give good or bad result.
Second is to see if it is strong or weak.
If it is promising good to the native but weak, then it needs to be strengthened. this can be done in various ways. wearing the clothes of the color of the Raashi it is placed is one of them.
If it is strong and at a particular point of time need the Graha to help us, then we have to activate it. this can also be done by using the color of the raashi it is placed in. This acts as a trigger.
If a Graha is bad then it need pacification and appeasement. You would not want to activate the Graha before this is done.

RishiRahul and vivek.    

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:59 pm

Namaskaar Krishnakumar ji,
The list is given only to see the sex of a sibling/ child or partner (business) it may be expanded intelligently to other relationship.
Yes! it differs from the Odd/ even Raashi list.
We are not very sure of the reason but we have seen it working.
RishiRahul and vivek.
Krishnakumar M R wrote:Dear Guruji,

Namaste...

Thanks.. I have read the subsequent post and got the anwers.

But still I have doubt :

As per the below mentioned topic:

Male signs are fire and air signs &
Female sings are water and earth.

But in the other topic it is mentioned as :

If it is so, Mithuna & Kumbha should fall under either water or earth and Kark & Meena should falls under either fire or air signs... But it is not so.... Is there any inner concept behind that... Kindly explain....

Krishna
vivekvshetty wrote:Odd and even Raashis
Count the signs from Mesha and the odd signs (visama Raashi) are said to be male in their ‘inner nature’ and harsh in their behavior. They are go-getters and can be very pushing to achieve their objectives. These are Mesha, Mithuna, Simha, Tula, Dhanu, and Kumbha. These are the fire and air signs of which the fire signs can be more harsh and ‘burning’ whereas the air signs can be slower to react but very harsh in their continued aggression (The elements of the Raashis will be given later).
The even numbered signs (sama Raashi) are female in their inner nature and are not harsh. They are passive in their attitudes and behavior. These are the water signs – Kark, Vrischika, Meena and the earth signs – Vrishabha, Kanya, Makara. The water signs are more passive than the earthy Raashis.

Sex of the Raashis.
To see the sex of people (children, siblings, business partners etc) the Raashis are classified as follows.

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:14 pm

Thank you for attempting the questions.
Just check the answers highlighted and underlined.

RishiRahul and vivek.
Krishnakumar M R wrote:Respected Guruji,

Krishna

1) Prakriti
 2) Mahat
 3) Ahamkara
 4) Manas

Q2: The three gunas correspond to the three main deities of the Hindu pantheon, list them and find who corresponds to which guna.

Two.

Explanation

Twelve signs from Mesha are successively Chara, Sthira & Dwishbhaava in nature and this is repeated again cyclically for other remaining Raashis.

Three.

Explanation:

From the below, it can be noticed that Agni, Prithvi, Vaayu and Jala are getting repeated after 3.

1 Mesha Agni / Fire
3 Mithuna Vaayu / Air
4 Kark Jala / Water
5 Simha Agni / Fire
6 Kanya Prithvi / Earth
7 Tula Vaayu / Air
8 Vrischika Jala / Water
9 Dhanus Agni / Fire
11 Kumbha Vaayu / Air
12 Meena Jala / Water

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:27 pm

Namasakaar Krishnakumar ji,
Please keep asking these seemingly silly queries. You are doing a great service to all those who keep silent.
As regards to the various results of Grahas w.r.t their placement in Raashi and Bhaava, we suggest that you start a new post and try to give the results given in the classical text or also the modern text books on this. Other Learners (including us) will try to add to it.

RishiRahul and vivek.

Namaste...

1) Do we have a separate topic/lesson for "Grahas and their placement in a paricular bhava whether good or malefic".

Example : Surya 1st Bhava - Good, Surya & Chandra in second bhava - malefic etc...

2) In order to consider a Graha whether it is placed in good position or malefic position, do we need to consider the Raashi or Lagna as base ?

Krishna
For judging a graha and trying to fathom the type of result it will give requires some experience.
If it is promising good to the native but weak, then it needs to be strengthened. this can be done in various ways. wearing the clothes of the color of the Raashi it is placed is one of them.
If it is strong and at a particular point of time need the Graha to help us, then we have to activate it. this can also be done by using the color of the raashi it is placed in. This acts as a trigger.
If a Graha is bad then it need pacification and appeasement. You would not want to activate the Graha before this is done.

RishiRahul and vivek.    

Krishnakumar M R

Post by Krishnakumar M R » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:47 pm

Respected Guruji,

I think my answers are right...

Two.

Explanation

Mesha is Chara (Rajas Guna)
Vrishabha is Sthira (Tamas Guna)
Mithuna is Dwishbhaava (Saatva Guna)
Kark is Chara (Rajas Guna)

After two Raashis again Chara is getting repeated.... The same concept is applicable to Sthira & Dwishbhaavas...

Three.

Explanation:

1 Mesha Agni / Fire
3 Mithuna Vaayu / Air
4 Kark Jala / Water
5 Simha Agni / Fire
6 Kanya Prithvi / Earth
7 Tula Vaayu / Air
8 Vrischika Jala / Water
9 Dhanus Agni / Fire
11 Kumbha Vaayu / Air
12 Meena Jala / Water

Based on the above after three Raashi, Agni is getting repeated... And is applicable to Earth, Air & Water...

Kindly correct me if I am wrong... Also kindly correct me if I misunderstood the question also....

Krishna
vivekvshetty wrote:Namaskaar Krishnakumar ji,
Thank you for attempting the questions.
Just check the answers highlighted and underlined.

RishiRahul and vivek.

Krishna

1) Prakriti
 2) Mahat
 3) Ahamkara
 4) Manas

Two.

Explanation

Three.

Explanation:

1 Mesha Agni / Fire
3 Mithuna Vaayu / Air
4 Kark Jala / Water
5 Simha Agni / Fire
6 Kanya Prithvi / Earth
7 Tula Vaayu / Air
8 Vrischika Jala / Water
9 Dhanus Agni / Fire
11 Kumbha Vaayu / Air
12 Meena Jala / Water

Krishnakumar M R

Post by Krishnakumar M R » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:32 pm

Respected Guruji,

I am really happy with the way you motivate your students/sishyas. Infact we all are gifted to have such a wonderful Guruji (s) (both Vivekji and Rishiji).

With the help of God and blessings of Guruji(s) and elders and also with the help of other loving brothers and sisters 'll initiate the process of posting the topic in question.

In the meanwhile, request you to reply for the 2nd question please.

Krishna
vivekvshetty wrote:Namasakaar Krishnakumar ji,
Please keep asking these seemingly silly queries. You are doing a great service to all those who keep silent.
As regards to the various results of Grahas w.r.t their placement in Raashi and Bhaava, we suggest that you start a new post and try to give the results given in the classical text or also the modern text books on this. Other Learners (including us) will try to add to it.

RishiRahul and vivek.

Namaste...

Krishna

RishiRahul and vivek.    

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:20 pm

First understand what is the meaning of Lagna. Lagna means the sense of beingness or the sense of being present (The 'Here and now' feeling). This is a constant feeling throughout the whole of life, something which cannot be denied. Lagan is the 'I' feeling, this is the first thought and from this thought all other thought arises. The constant 'I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I' without which functioning is not possible.
All world revolves around this 'I' and the world is seen from the perspective of this 'I'. This is the fulcrum around which the whole universe revolves.
So what do you think should be used for judging a graha?
Strength or weakness of a Graha is another matter and in this the Raashi plays an important part.
Rishirahul and vivek.

Krishna

Krishnakumar M R

Post by Krishnakumar M R » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:37 pm

Respected Guruji,

Namaste...

1) Lagna is required to be considered for prediction....  
2) In order to identify the general character, nature of job, characteristics of relations etc... Raashi plays an important role...
3) In order to identify the Strength & Weekness of the grahas, the Raashi in which it is placed in a particular bhava is considered to be important from the Lagna....

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong...

Krishna
vivekvshetty wrote:Namaskaar Krishnakumar ji,
First understand what is the meaning of Lagna. Lagna means the sense of beingness or the sense of being present (The 'Here and now' feeling). This is a constant feeling throughout the whole of life, something which cannot be denied. Lagan is the 'I' feeling, this is the first thought and from this thought all other thought arises. The constant 'I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I,I' without which functioning is not possible.
All world revolves around this 'I' and the world is seen from the perspective of this 'I'. This is the fulcrum around which the whole universe revolves.

So what do you think should be used for judging a graha?
Strength or weakness of a Graha is another matter and in this the Raashi plays an important part.
Rishirahul and vivek.

Krishna

kush

Colours of Rashis

Post by kush » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:51 pm

Respected RishiRahulji and Vivekji,

You mentioned that you were using green since Guru was in Mithuna in your chart.

however, what if there are more than one planets of opposing natures- one having a positive and the other a negative effect (or more planets)- in a rashi?
more specifically, were a person to say wear clothes of that colour (corresponding to the rashi), wouldn't it activate both the planets ; in effect having no beneficial effect, possibly even worsening the situation?

PS: i have sent a request to be included in the class of people learning vedic astrology on this site. perhaps you haven't had the time to look at it because of your busy schedules. and i know you don't reply to questions asked by people who are not your students, i am hoping you will not overlook this one. thanks

vivekvshetty

Re: Colours of Rashis

Post by vivekvshetty » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:34 pm

Namaskaar Kush ji,
Sorry for the delay in reply.
Guru is the Kaaraka for Dhi, it is also the Lagna lord in our charts. So it represents dhi doubly.  Now in my chart it is placed in Mithuna. I want to activate my Dhi whenever i type something for this forum and hence i use the color of Mithuna.
Now coming to your query, If two grahas are conjunct in a Raashi and are giving opposite result to a native then it is better it is not activated by colors. This is my personal viewpoint.
RishiRahul and vivek.
kush wrote:Respected RishiRahulji and Vivekji,

You mentioned that you were using green since Guru was in Mithuna in your chart.

however, what if there are more than one planets of opposing natures- one having a positive and the other a negative effect (or more planets)- in a rashi?
more specifically, were a person to say wear clothes of that colour (corresponding to the rashi), wouldn't it activate both the planets ; in effect having no beneficial effect, possibly even worsening the situation?

PS: i have sent a request to be included in the class of people learning vedic astrology on this site. perhaps you haven't had the time to look at it because of your busy schedules. and i know you don't reply to questions asked by people who are not your students, i am hoping you will not overlook this one. thanks

kandhan.t

Post by kandhan.t » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:07 am

Vivekji, what is Dhi, is it vidya?  u have mentioned a simple method for energising/activating a benefic graha. Any simple method for appeasing malefic graha(other than charity of gemstones/grains etc connected with the graha or upasana)?

kandhan.t

Post by kandhan.t » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:49 am

Sorry, I got the answer in lesson 5.

iamlearning

Post by iamlearning » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:22 pm

Lot of times in agiven house no graha is present. To arrive at the prediction related to that bhava should we llok at the lord of the rashi present in that bhava.

For instance,
7th bhava is in kumbh rashi (no graha is present in the 7th house)
will the native's married life will be predicted as if saturn(rules kumbh) is in the 7th house ?

- Will there be a delay in marriage bcoz saturn's rashi is in 7th house ?
- Learning is fun

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”