Lesson 3. Introduction to Raashi (Rashi = Signs).

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

kkbros

Sex of Raashis

Post by kkbros » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:56 am

Vivekji
In your explanation of the sex of Raashis you had mentioned "to see the sex of people", I 'm having difficulty understanding this.  It would be very benefitial if you could throw more light on this (my reading of this is "the sex of an offspring can be determined by the cooption of the Raashis and to do this the sex of the Raashis should be understood").

Regards
Bala
Bala

vivekvshetty

Re: Sex of Raashis

Post by vivekvshetty » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:03 pm

kkbros wrote:Vivekji
In your explanation of the sex of Raashis you had mentioned "to see the sex of people", I 'm having difficulty understanding this.  It would be very benefitial if you could throw more light on this (my reading of this is "the sex of an offspring can be determined by the cooption of the Raashis and to do this the sex of the Raashis should be understood").

Regards
Bala
Namaskaar Bala,
Your understanding is perfect.
The sex of the signs are used not only to judge childrens but also brothers and sisters, business partners, perhaps also the sex of the native (what is the sex of the person whose chart is being interpreted).

we will try to teach these things.

vivek.

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:45 pm

Dear Vivek ji and Rahul ji,
I have got bit laid back with the course but trying my best to cope up.
The material provided by you people is amazing and it does clear lots of
missing logics and i am really grateful to both of you for this. I have got few queries. Please do reply to them.

According to you:-
[color=green]Beneficial planets connected to the houses/signs indicate proper growth
and/or protection to the body part while malefic planets connected to
such houses/signs indicate improper growth and/or damage to the body part.
[b]In general, damage to body parts from external agents or sources is indicated
by the raashi (signs) of  the Kaalapurusha while damage or malfunctioning of
body parts caused by internal agents or sources is indicated by the houses
reckoned from the lagna.[/b] [/color]

1.This means if anyone has malefics in particular house without any good/strong benefic effect then that part will suffer malfunction and [b]ALSO[/b] he will have  problem with one more body part (depending upon zodiac and thus kaalpurusha chart) unless and until that person has got Aries as a lagna i.e. kaalpurusha lagna.. This means no one can have problem with one part at a time(if dasa consideration is not taken) and it should be followed by problem/damage with another part with same intensity. Hope I am making sense to you and I am not sounding some confused person to you.

For Eg. A person having Rahu + Saturn + Jupiter in Leo in 8th house will have problem with his Anus (like Piles) and stomach {like Ulcer(coz ulcer can be caused by external agents like cold drinks)}with same intensity. (Please don’t consider any other aspect and dasa consideration for this question.)

2.What do you exactly mean by External Agents. Will cause of cancer will be considered as a result of external agents and internal agents both. Please give some example of external and internal agents…

3.Will the karakas for body part be considered from the kaalpurusha chart or they r different? For example:- for finding  out about the heart problem of some person do we have to consider any particular planet also as a karaka other then 4th house and Cancer Raashi(thus moon).

4.Please explain this for consideration for a female.
Will Tula be used for only consideringVagina
And
Vrischika be used for Anus.

5.What is he use of Vishama pada and sama pada raashis in astrology

I haven’t gone thru gunas and tatwas properly,so will ask questions about them in my later mail ;-) .I hope I am not gona irritate you people.
Thanking You
Raman.

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:25 pm

Raman Deep Singh wrote:Dear Vivek ji and Rahul ji,
I have got bit laid back with the course but trying my best to cope up.
The material provided by you people is amazing and it does clear lots of
missing logics and i am really grateful to both of you for this. I have got few queries. Please do reply to them.

According to you:-
Beneficial planets connected to the houses/signs indicate proper growth
and/or protection to the body part while malefic planets connected to
such houses/signs indicate improper growth and/or damage to the body part.
In general, damage to body parts from external agents or sources is indicated
by the raashi (signs) of  the Kaalapurusha while damage or malfunctioning of
body parts caused by internal agents or sources is indicated by the houses
reckoned from the lagna.

1.This means if anyone has malefics in particular house without any good/strong benefic effect then that part will suffer malfunction and ALSO he will have  problem with one more body part (depending upon zodiac and thus kaalpurusha chart) unless and until that person has got Aries as a lagna i.e. kaalpurusha lagna.. This means no one can have problem with one part at a time(if dasa consideration is not taken) and it should be followed by problem/damage with another part with same intensity. Hope I am making sense to you and I am not sounding some confused person to you.

For Eg. A person having Rahu + Saturn + Jupiter in Leo in 8th house will have problem with his Anus (like Piles) and stomach {like Ulcer(coz ulcer can be caused by external agents like cold drinks)}with same intensity. (Please don’t consider any other aspect and dasa consideration for this question.)

2.What do you exactly mean by External Agents. Will cause of cancer will be considered as a result of external agents and internal agents both. Please give some example of external and internal agents…

3.Will the karakas for body part be considered from the kaalpurusha chart or they r different? For example:- for finding  out about the heart problem of some person do we have to consider any particular planet also as a karaka other then 4th house and Cancer Raashi(thus moon).

4.Please explain this for consideration for a female.
Will Tula be used for only consideringVagina
And
Vrischika be used for Anus.

5.What is he use of Vishama pada and sama pada raashis in astrology

I haven’t gone thru gunas and tatwas properly,so will ask questions about them in my later mail ;-) .I hope I am not gona irritate you people.
Thanking You
Raman.
Namaskaar Raman ji,
When seeing the Raashi Chart we judge the parts as per Raashi and this is external. the world knows about it.
From the Lagna the native only knows about it, it is internal. This is where lordships fo the Bhaavas come in. Then again there are other kaarakas as well as divisional charts.

In Raashi chart without taking the Lagna in account any Raashi afflicted by malefics show a tendency to get hurt on that limb. Example Vrishabha has many Papa Grahas (malefics), it shows a tendency to get hurt on the shoulder, face or the neck.
From the Lagna if any Bhaava is afflicted by Malefics and eighth and /or sixth lords or Bhaavas then the chances of affliction to that part as shown by the Bhaava is more internal. The interaction of the Bhaavas and their lords are a factor here to judge.
I did not mention agents at all, by internal and external we meant the body parts and organs. It is never very clear cut and the influences merge. Like Tula represents the Kidneys and affliction to it can mar them, but kidneys are internal organs.

For Female Seventh Bhaava is the reproductive organ, Eighth Bhaava are the excretory organs, just as for Male Jataks.

The use of Vimsha pada and Sampada Raashis will be clear as we deal with Dasas.

Rishsi Rahul and vivek.

rkirana

Post by rkirana » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:20 pm

Vivekji/Rahulji

For prediction purpose, we generally look at what houses signify.
What is the use of rasi significations when it is rarely used for predictions.

Can you teach us a sloka that we can memorize to remember what each rasi/graha/bhaava signifies?

Regards
Kiran
Kirana

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:52 pm

rkirana wrote:Vivekji/Rahulji

For prediction purpose, we generally look at what houses signify.
What is the use of rasi significations when it is rarely used for predictions.

Can you teach us a sloka that we can memorize to remember what each rasi/graha/bhaava signifies?

Regards
Kiran

Namashkaar Kiranji,

Whoever gave you the idea that  there is not much use of the rasi significations when it is  rarely used for predictions? Charateristics, nature of jobs, charateristics of relations etc besides many other thing like horary astrology, nature of results are determined from the nature of rasis.

Are you confident that there is an easy way out while learning astrology?

Sanskrit slokas are available in Brihat Parashara Hora Shastra which are concise, but you have to Anskrit before that.

I hope e have answered your questions.

vivek and RishiRahul

rajitha

Post by rajitha » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:33 pm

Vivekji & Rishiji,
    I want to first thank you for taking the pains in explaining the intricacies of rashi. I did not know that Rashis were reflections of the steps taken by Lord Vishnu.

1) My basic question (I don't know if I understood the concept properly) - I understand that the 3 steps were reflected to create rashis. But, why were there only  reflections to create only 12 rashis? A set of parallel mirrors produce infinite reflections. So, why did we stop after 12 rashis?

2) The images, for instance colours of rashi are not visible anymore. I don't know if the files were deleted.

Appreciate if you could help me understand the rashi formation.

rajitha

Post by rajitha » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:36 pm

Sorry, one more question.

When you say that bhavas and rashis associated with malefics will have impaired growth and problems, does that mean everyone has some problem or the other in them and no one has a perfect body.

Lets say for instance, Scorpio has Venus in it. Scorpio is lorded by Mars. So, Scorpio will have an external blemish to the part associated with it or will the same hold true only if a malefic is present in the rashi?

Appreciate if you could help me with an example.

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:14 pm

rajitha wrote:Vivekji & Rishiji,
    I want to first thank you for taking the pains in explaining the intricacies of rashi. I did not know that Rashis were reflections of the steps taken by Lord Vishnu.

1) My basic question (I don't know if I understood the concept properly) - I understand that the 3 steps were reflected to create rashis. But, why were there only  reflections to create only 12 rashis? A set of parallel mirrors produce infinite reflections. So, why did we stop after 12 rashis?

2) The images, for instance colours of rashi are not visible anymore. I don't know if the files were deleted.

Appreciate if you could help me understand the rashi formation.

Sorry, one more question.

When you say that bhavas and rashis associated with malefics will have impaired growth and problems, does that mean everyone has some problem or the other in them and no one has a perfect body.

Lets say for instance, Scorpio has Venus in it. Scorpio is lorded by Mars. So, Scorpio will have an external blemish to the part associated with it or will the same hold true only if a malefic is present in the rashi?

Appreciate if you could help me with an example.
Namaskaar Rajitha ji,
Infinity is symbolised as a serpant biting its own tail.
So basically it is a spiral.

The three steps of Lord Vishnu is a concept and its understanding is useful for us to understand the basis of not only the Raashis but also of many dasas (including the Kaalachakra), the various rekoning of Bhaavas (like the vriddha kaarika method of eighth Bhaava rekoning useful in judging longevity). Dont try to read more into it than necessary.

Coming to your second query,
The Raashis or Bhaavas having more malefic associations will have a tendency or weakness in them. They are more susceptible and in conjuntion with other factors like associatin with bad Bhaavas like the eighth or sixth they are reason to suspect some affliction to that part. We have to confirm this from other charts (Divisional chart come to our rescue here, though some think of them to be mere decorational value)                

RishiRahul and vivek.

rajitha

Post by rajitha » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:11 pm

Thanks Vivekji.

I am going to go over your lesson once again to understand the formation of rashis better.

jigyasu

Post by jigyasu » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:37 am

how come everyone has different colors for different rashis?

bphs and saravalli are similar for mesh vrishabh and mithun.. after that?
why ? on what basis is this color alloted?

and if  i want to increase the jupiter vibration as it is posited in dhanu.
are transits important in vedic astro? for this point..

jigyasu

Post by jigyasu » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:10 pm

also i read that

chara rashis = bramha (which is rajasic)
sthir            = shiva     ( tamasic )
dwishbhava = vishnu    (sattvic )

but karka is a chara rashi and is supposed to be sattvic same is the case with 5 simha which is sthir(shiva) and should be tamasic but is sattvic.

this

bramha     shiva      vishnu
---------    -------     --------
chara        sthir       dwishbhaav
rajasic      tamasic    sattvic
1               2             3                - is applicable in this line
4               5             6                - XXXX
7               8             9                - is again applicable here
10             11           12               - XXXX

please tell me what is this? why is it like this?
Last edited by jigyasu on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

jigyasu

Post by jigyasu » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:16 pm

please somebody reply i m stuck here.

also how is it that mercury is rajasic planet and the rashis it rules
(mithun, kanya) is tamsic?
mars being tamasic and mesh and scorpio being rajasic?

why is it that bramha, a rajasic significator rules sani a tamsic planet?

is it that they dont have any relation? or what?

please reply. i cant move further because of this. :smt017

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:17 pm

jigyasu wrote:how come everyone has different colors for different rashis?

bphs and saravalli are similar for mesh vrishabh and mithun.. after that?
why ? on what basis is this color alloted?

and if  i want to increase the jupiter vibration as it is posited in dhanu.
are transits important in vedic astro? for this point..
Namaskaar,
We have to follow Maharishi Paraashara and BPHS is taken to be the most authoritative. The colors given are from very old traditional sources. It would be great if you could post the colors as given in Saraavali. We dont know for now the bsis for alloting the colors to the Raashis.

To activate Guru in a chart advice the color of the Raashi In which Guru is posited at birth and not at transit (Gochar).
RishRahul and vivek.

jigyasu

Post by jigyasu » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:04 pm

vivekvshetty wrote: Namaskaar,
We have to follow Maharishi Paraashara and BPHS is taken to be the most authoritative. The colors given are from very old traditional sources. It would be great if you could post the colors as given in Saraavali. We dont know for now the bsis for alloting the colors to the Raashis.

To activate Guru in a chart advice the color of the Raashi In which Guru is posited at birth and not at transit (Gochar).
RishRahul and vivek.
kanya is variegated, vrishchika is reddish brown, makar is again variegated,
kumbh is deep-brown in BPHS

here in this section .. kanya is grey, vrshchika is yellow, makar is blue, kumbh is violet.

and saraavali says
"
40-4l. Colours of Rāśis. From Aries onwards the following 12 colours are allotted to the various Rāśis, respectively,
red, white, green, pink, brown, gray, variegated, black, golden, yellow, deep-brown and white. If an idol of the Lord of the Ascendant is made in the colour allotted and is worshipped, the native will destroy his enemies, just as Lord Indra destroyed the demons. "

makar, kumbh and meen are not shades of blue anywhere.

do i have a bad copy?

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”