Lesson 4. The Bhaava (Houses).

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:41 pm

Namaskaar Swapnil ji,
You claim to have read this lesson. If you read it correctly then you missed out our reply on the same question to Raman ji. Please go through all the post in this lesson and you will find it.
RishiRahul and vivek.
gaonkarswapnil wrote:Dear Vivek ji

Please clear my doubt as i was going thru lessons on 9th and 10th house and cross reading our learning section i found that in Visti ji and rath ji books mentioning 9th house signifying father and you mentioning 10th signify father also BPHS article from scribd signify karma bhava for father

i would like to know which should be considered for our learning

Regards

Swapnil

gaonkarswapnil

Post by gaonkarswapnil » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:34 pm

Dear Vivek ji

Sorry I had read about it before but today when a doubt came in my mind i skipped it as there was a mention of 9th 10th exchange thinking it may be about dharmakarmadhipati yoga

Till now i understood as 4th is for mother then her spouse should be seen from 7th so it becomes 10th and with respect to a particular person 9th is considered as father

Does it mean that for a particular native if checking relation between mother and father 4th and 10th be applied and if for native and father lagna and 9th be applied

Regards

Swapnil
Swapnil from mumbai looking for future

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:37 pm

Namaskaar Swapnil ji,
This is where we can see the importance of the word Bhaava. When you think of Father, what is the Bhaava you have? is it a Bhaava of Partner to the mother or as one from whom you get your Dharma as also the lineage.
RishiRahul and vivek.  

Sorry I had read about it before but today when a doubt came in my mind i skipped it as there was a mention of 9th 10th exchange thinking it may be about dharmakarmadhipati yoga

Till now i understood as 4th is for mother then her spouse should be seen from 7th so it becomes 10th and with respect to a particular person 9th is considered as father

Does it mean that for a particular native if checking relation between mother and father 4th and 10th be applied and if for native and father lagna and 9th be applied

Regards

Swapnil

gaonkarswapnil

Post by gaonkarswapnil » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:12 pm

Dear Vivek ji

Now i understood why 9th is considered for father as per my thinking goes for a native mothers partner can change but the lineage he got from the father cannot change

Here a question comes to my mind as raman ji too pointed out does this type of concept apply to chart

For eg

As 7th to lagna is partner for native , 7th from 4th is partner of mother so will 7th from 3rd should be partner of coborn = 9th so will it be 11th be coborn of coborns partner and 7th from it 5th will be his partner

Regards

Swapnil

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:13 pm

Namaskaar Swapnil ji,
If you start reading the Raashi chart like that then the end result will be - Confusion.
Why do you think the Rishis devised the Amsha Kundalis?

RishiRahul and vivek.

Now i understood why 9th is considered for father as per my thinking goes for a native mothers partner can change but the lineage he got from the father cannot change

Here a question comes to my mind as raman ji too pointed out does this type of concept apply to chart

For eg

As 7th to lagna is partner for native , 7th from 4th is partner of mother so will 7th from 3rd should be partner of coborn = 9th so will it be 11th be coborn of coborns partner and 7th from it 5th will be his partner

Regards

Swapnil

gaonkarswapnil

Post by gaonkarswapnil » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:28 pm

Dear Vivek ji

Your are right i am already confused. As you asked why amsha kundalis? They used to take a indepth look for which amsha kundlais are meant for for eg to look matters related to co borns D3 should be used.

Here from my side the confusion as of now is that for concluding a thing related to any matter say for co borns

For Eg. A chart with Mesha lagna D1 and tula lagna in D3

So to look in for matters of coborns in D1 3rd house and lord of 3rd house should be 1st looked in and in D3 too 3rd should be looked in and 3rd from it means 5th should be looked in to chk next younger co born and 11th in D3 for elder and 9th for next elder to be lookked in

So here how to compile all the things from D1 and D3 and conclude the things related to coborns

Regards

Swapnil

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:26 pm

Your are right i am already confused. As you asked why amsha kundalis? They used to take a indepth look for which amsha kundlais are meant for for eg to look matters related to co borns D3 should be used.

Here from my side the confusion as of now is that for concluding a thing related to any matter say for co borns

So to look in for matters of coborns in D1 3rd house and lord of 3rd house should be 1st looked in and in D3 too 3rd should be looked in and 3rd from it means 5th should be looked in to chk next younger co born and 11th in D3 for elder and 9th for next elder to be lookked in

So here how to compile all the things from D1 and D3 and conclude the things related to coborns

Regards

Swapnil

Namashkaar Swapnilji,

A good question from your side.

But do share what your views are for sighting it, from your experience, research and understanding?

vivek & RishiRahul
RishiRahul.com
Astro-Palmist & Numerologist
Accurate timings & solutions to specific questions

gaonkarswapnil

Post by gaonkarswapnil » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:09 am

RishiRahul wrote:

Regards

Swapnil

Namashkaar Swapnilji,

A good question from your side.

But do share what your views are for sighting it, from your experience, research and understanding?

vivek & RishiRahul
Dear Rishi ji

I just try to match the planets or rashi or rashi lord by there sex for eg if there is guru in D3 3rd bhava i conclude the native may be having younger brother

Even thou few charts are matching with my way but i still think it is not the right way

Regards

Swapnil

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:54 pm

Namashkaar Gaonkarswapnilji,

We will come to D3 in more detail later.

Do understand that the 3rd. house of D1 stands for so many other things than co borns, like 'parakrama' or courage, neighbours, immediate environment, expression, co operation, etc. etc. etc.

The 3rd. house in D3 relates specifically to co borns.

Then there the naisargik and charaaraka of co borns, that we have to consider too.

vivek and RishiRahul
RishiRahul.com
Astro-Palmist & Numerologist
Accurate timings & solutions to specific questions

casualram

Please clarify my doubt

Post by casualram » Sat May 22, 2010 5:50 am

Hi Gurus,

I am starter in learning astrology. Sorry to ask too many silly questions. I went through this lesson and various discussions happened after the lesson. Based on that, i have queries. Can you please clarify?

The queries are based on given chart

1) Capricorn Lagna
2) Sun, Venus(R), Mercury(R) - 1st house (in lagna)
3) Rahu and Moon - 6th house
4) Saturn (R), Mars - 9th hose
5) Guru - 10th house
6) Ketu - 12th hose

My Understanding for the above chart are

1) Kendras are Capricon(1), Aries(4),Cancer(7), Libra(10)
2) Dharma Trikonas are Capricon(1), Taurus(5), Virgo(9)
3) Artha Trikonas are Aquarius(2), Gemini(6), Libra(10)
4) Kama Trikonas are Pisces(3),Cancer(7),Scorpio(11
5) Moksha Trikonas are Aries(4), Leo(8), Sagitarius(12)

Queries

1) Is my above understanding right or Dharma Trikonas (for example) are always fixed and they are Mesha, Simha, Dhanu as per the lesson.

2) This chart does not have any planets in Kama Trikonas - does it mean less interest in Personal/Business/Social interactions  ( in previous post , a person has asked the similar question and you have replied "My feeling is that the absence of planets make a person not much attracted to the extra sensory enjoyments of life and the serious side could develop depending on the other planets" ) I could not understand. Can you please once again sir..

3) Do we need to calculate Panaphara and ApoKlima for each Of 12 houseS or only for kendraS? Also to remember it easily, i guess "Current house + 4 houses" is future house and "Current house - 4 house" is the past? Is that current?

4) Similarly do we need to calculate Trika Sthanas (Troublesome houses) for all 12 houses or only kendras? If yes, i guess we need to add Current houses + 6,8,12 house to find out the house doing trouble to current house right?

5) Similarly do we need to calculate  Upachaya Sthanas for all 12 houses or only kendras? The upachya stanas are 3,6,10,11. Do i need to add 3/6/10/11 for each house to get its upachaya stanas. How come 6th house from current house can be both Trouble some house and Upachaya stana. I am not able to understand this. Please explain.

Please clarify above queries and based on clarification, i wll think again and ask some more queries.

Thanks
Ramya

brightblueskies

Re: Visible and invicible half of the Bhaa Chakra.

Post by brightblueskies » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:58 am

Namaskaar

I dont know if I have understood your question correctly. Based on what I think the question is, am attaching the answer. Hoping it does not turn out to be something totally stupid.

Looking fwd to your feedback.

Warm Regards
vivekvshetty wrote:Visible and invicible half of the Bhaa Chakra.

Observing the eastrn horizon at any time, we find the sign rising to be the Lagna.
some part of it is already risen and some part has still to rise (this part is below the horizon).
Just above tha rising Raashi we find the twelfth house raashi.
Above this the eleventh house Raashi.
Above this the tenth house Raashi directly overhead.
Below this but on the western part of the sky we find the ninth house        Raashi.
Below this on the westrn side of the sky we find the eighth house Raashi.
Below this on the western horizon we find the seventh house Raashi setting.

Depending on the degree of the sign rising on the Lagna to the degree on its seventh sign is the visible part of the Zodiac (Bhaa chakra).
Example:
Suppose a person was born when 27 degree of Dhanu (Sagittarius) was the lagna. Then the Zodiac from the 27 degree of Dhanu to the 27th degree of Mithuna (Gemini) will be the visible part of the Zodiac in this person's chart.
Therefore the remaining half of the Zodiac (from 27degree Mithuna to 27 degree of Dhanu) will be the invisible part of the Zodiac in the persons chart. They are below the horizon and still to rise.
The remaining potion of the Lagna Raashi, the second house, the third house, the fourth house, the fifth house, the sixth house and the already set (below the horizon) part of the seventh house form the invisible part of the Zodiac.

Now here is the fun part.
we will learn here the meaning of 'Ketu effect'

We have seen that the Raashis rise from the East to the West.
But the planets move from the West to the east.
Example: Suppose Dhanu is  rising now, but after two hour Dhanu will have moved towards the west and Makara will be the new Lagna.
But if Chandra were placed in the end of Vrischika then in few minutes it will move to Dhanu which is an eastwards motion.
The is called the Ketu effect.
It is said that due to the rotational motion of the Earth (Prithvi) from the west to the east we are caught in this spin and therefore lose our head and are not able to ditinguish the motion of the Graha is from West to East.
This is very useful in Jyotish as you will find later on in the course that whenever we encounter Ketu we reverse the count of the Raashis from the Zodiacal order to the reverse order.

Q1: Illustrate the two half of the Bhaa chakra in the north Indian Chakra.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Warm Regards

casualram

Calrification needed on this lesson 4 - Bhaava

Post by casualram » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:22 pm

i posted this query sometime back. Can someone clarify. Thanks.

------------------------

Hi Gurus,

I am starter in learning astrology. Sorry to ask too many silly questions. I went through this lesson and various discussions happened after the lesson. Based on that, i have queries. Can you please clarify?

1) Capricorn Lagna
5) Guru - 10th house
6) Ketu - 12th hose

Queries

1) Is my above understanding right or Dharma Trikonas (for example) are always fixed and they are Mesha, Simha, Dhanu as per the lesson.

2) This chart does not have any planets in Kama Trikonas - does it mean less interest in Personal/Business/Social interactions  ( in previous post , a person has asked the similar question and you have replied "My feeling is that the absence of planets make a person not much attracted to the extra sensory enjoyments of life and the serious side could develop depending on the other planets" ) I could not understand. Can you please once again sir..

3) Do we need to calculate Panaphara and ApoKlima for each Of 12 houseS or only for kendraS? Also to remember it easily, i guess "Current house + 4 houses" is future house and "Current house - 4 house" is the past? Is that current?

4) Similarly do we need to calculate Trika Sthanas (Troublesome houses) for all 12 houses or only kendras? If yes, i guess we need to add Current houses + 6,8,12 house to find out the house doing trouble to current house right?

5) Similarly do we need to calculate  Upachaya Sthanas for all 12 houses or only kendras? The upachya stanas are 3,6,10,11. Do i need to add 3/6/10/11 for each house to get its upachaya stanas. How come 6th house from current house can be both Trouble some house and Upachaya stana. I am not able to understand this. Please explain.

Please clarify above queries and based on clarification, i wll think again and ask some more queries.

Thanks
Ramya

Raman Deep Singh

Re: Calrification needed on this lesson 4 - Bhaava

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:14 pm

Hi Ramya,
Let me try to answer few of your queries...Will be helpful for you to move ahead..

casualram wrote:i posted this query sometime back. Can someone clarify. Thanks.

------------------------

Hi Gurus,

1) Capricorn Lagna
5) Guru - 10th house
6) Ketu - 12th hose

Queries

Yes you are right in mentioning about Dharma Trikonas

As per my understanding, Placement is not the only thing we look for in while judging the house. Ther are many other things also.. like Planetary aspect, Raashi Drishti, Placement of Lord in , paaka lagna and so on..So we cant judge in the mentioned manner as per me

We should start by applying all these type of houses from lagna.Houses like:- apokilma, Panapara, Trikona, Dharma and so on

Same as above

Same as Above

Thanks
Ramya
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.:-)

pranavg

Re: Lesson 4. The Bhaava (Houses).

Post by pranavg » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:29 pm

Hi Vivekji and RishiRahulji and others,

I know I am a late entrant and the lessons are currently suspended (happy that they are not called off), but appreciate your readiness that you showed in another thread to answer queries and consequently encourage learners like me to put questions forth.

You have here mentioned,
"There are house divisions also in Jyotish but it will be discussed later"
Do we refer to Bhava-chalit charts here?
If yes (or even otherwise :) ), could you please shed some light on this concept?
Also, let us know where is it that we should consider regular lagna kundali and where should it be BhavaChalit kundali?

We have seen many concepts in our lessons in this forum, I believe it would be helpful to know where this actually fits in...

Regards,
Pranav
RishiRahul wrote:The Bhaava
Bhaava means emotion, state of mind.
Bhaavanaa – Imagination.

From various dictionaries:
bhava = coming into existence , birth , production , origin , arising or produced from , being in , relating to ; becoming , turning into (comp.); being, state of being, existence, life; worldly existence, the world
Bhava i.e. Shiva and his wife.

Meanings of "bhava":1. (at the end of comp.) arising or produced from

1.being;2.birth;3.source;4.worldly existence;5.the world;6.well-being;7.excellence;8.name of Shiva;

Bhaava. Becoming, being, existing, occurring, appearance; turning or transition into.  
Meanings of "bhaava": 1.being; 2.becoming; 3.state; 4.manner; 5.rank; 6.true condition or state;
7. Innate property; 8.inclination or disposition of mind; 9.feeling; 10.love; 11.purport; 12.meaning;
13.resolution;14.the heart;15.existing thing;16.a being;17.abstract meditation;18.conduct;19.gesture;20.birth;21.the world;22.the womb;23.will;

This world is Bhava Sagar – (Ocean of Becoming), and hence the Mother Goddess Taaraa is called Bhavaani (A form of Paarvati, wife of lord Shiva) She who becomes everything and to save us from this world of becoming, she takes the form of Bhava Taarini (Takes us safely from this ocean of constant becoming). And hence the Bhaava is superimposed on Raashi.

In Western Astrology Bhaavas are called houses.
The first house is the house which rises on the Eastern Horizon you will see a particular Raashi (Assuming you know, how to identify the star constituting the Raashi) rising (Ascending or climbing)

Suppose the rising sign is Dhanu, it is - Lagnaa or Ascendant
Makara will be the – Second Bhaava
Kumbha will be the – Third Bhaava
Meena will be the – Forth Bhaava

And so on …
The houses are counted zodiacally.

Here if we take the Raashis to be Static aspect of the zodiac, the Bhaavas are the Dynamic aspects of the zodiac.

The first house is the Rising Raashi,
The forth house is the yet to Rise and is below the horizon. In fact it is right below the feet. (Represents midnight)
The Seventh House is the Raashi which is setting in the west, just going below the horizon. (Represents Sunset)
The Tenth House is the topmost (Represents noon)

The first house is akin to Mesha, the fourth akin to Karaka, the seventh house is akin to Tula and the tenth house is akin to Makara.

Now take the 5th to 9th from each of these houses like
1st – 5th – 9th
2nd – 6th – 10th
3rd – 7th – 11th
4th – 8th – 12th

These houses are in the harmony – firstly because they represents the same Tatwaa.
The 5th from any house is its future.
The 9th from any house is its past.
These are the Trikona (Trines)

The 1 – 4 – 7 – 10 houses from any house are the pillars of the sector. These are the Kendra (Squares)

For example, the first house represents the sense of being ness the “I AM” feeling in any horoscope for the native (Jataka). (The Native or Jataka means the person whose horoscope is being read by the Jyotisha.)

The 5th house will represent the future sense of “I”
And 9th house will represent the past sense of “I”

The first and the other two houses will represent the same tatwaas.
The 4th from the 1st belongs to the same motive force, Sthira, Chara or Dwijbhaava and hence co-operate with each other. Like the example given in the Raashi Lesson – where the cars were moving in their particular lane as per the speed limit.

The first house represents the self. Your characteristics, your nature etc. this represents your Dharmaa – That which you hold.

The fourth house is the lowest point where “I” sense will be at the lowest. Totally forgetting the “I” sense is Mokshaa or The Liberation.

The 7th house is the opposite of the 1st house representing your interactions with the outside world. (This house is the doorway to the world) in other words, it is intercourse with the world hence this is Kamaa. (Desires)

The 10th house is the topmost house (Directly over head). This represents, pinnacle of “I”. Feeling this is Arthaa.

The trines from each of these four houses form the Trikonaas (Trines) of the particular Purusharthaa.

The four Purusharthaas are Dharmaa, Arthaa, Kaama, and Mokshaa. And are called the Aayaanas or aims of life.

Dharmaa

This represents the person’s belief systems. Every person holds in him / her some belief system which is said to define him / her for the society.
A person is born into a belief system by birth in a family professing it (first Bhaava).
The person goes to a certain place for worship (ninth house).
The person holds some book or words as sacred (fifth house).

Arthaa

The person has to define to the world at large. This “Trying to define himself” to the world is done through speech, food (second house),
Work ethics, hard labor, and the ability to control the people (sixth house).
Earn money, work hard and achieve power (tenth house).

Kaama

Every person has legitimate or otherwise desires, which can be fulfilled as per the norms of the society. Personal interactions i.e. person to person (third house),
Business interactions i.e. buying - Selling, partnership, negotiations (seventh house)
Social interactions i.e. Friends etc (eleventh house).

Mokshaa

This is the end point of all human existence “Freedom”.

Freedom from the feeling “I”
As in the Mothers womb or Lap (fourth house).
As in sickness or death (eighth house)
As in sleep or Liberation (twelfth house)
As we have seen that there is a synchronicity (as in Raashis having same motive force) as well as empathy (as in Raashis having same elements) Therefore in traditional Jyotisha, the house is a full Raaashi.

I.e. suppose the degree of the sign rising on the horizon is 18 degrees, the whole Raashi of Tula will be treated as the first house. The second house will be Vrischika, the third will be Dhanu, the forth will be Makara, the fifth will be Kumbha and so on… unlike Western Astrology.
There are house divisions also in Jyotish but it will be discussed later.

The Lords of Raashis:
The Lords of these Raashis will be the Lords of these Bhaavas. Like Tula rising will be lagna and so the Lord of the 1st Bhaava or Lagnaadhipati will be Shukra. The Lord of the 2nd Bhaava will be Ketu / Mars because they are the Co _ Lords of the Vrishchika. The lord of the 3rd Bhaava will be Guru as he is the Lord of Dhanu, which falls in the 3rd house and so on.

So we have learnt that each bhaava has certain significations, each rules some compartment of life of an individual, each falls in a certain Raashi, each has a lord ruling it.
Each Bhaava also has a planet (Graha) who becomes its significator.
We will deal in detail with all these aspects in detail in the next posts in this lesson.

--------------------------------End of Bhavaas-------------------------------------

pranavg

Re: Lesson 4. The Bhaava (Houses).

Post by pranavg » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:29 pm

Hi Vivekji and RishiRahulji and others,

I know I am a late entrant and the lessons are currently suspended (happy that they are not called off), but appreciate your readiness that you showed in another thread to answer queries and consequently encourage learners like me to put questions forth.

You have here mentioned,
"There are house divisions also in Jyotish but it will be discussed later"
Do we refer to Bhava-chalit charts here?
If yes (or even otherwise :) ), could you please shed some light on this concept?
Also, let us know where is it that we should consider regular lagna kundali and where should it be BhavaChalit kundali?

We have seen many concepts in our lessons in this forum and we have been referring to 1st house, 2nd house etc., I believe it would be helpful to know in which of those concepts does this actually fit in...

Regards,
Pranav
RishiRahul wrote:The Bhaava
Bhaava means emotion, state of mind.
Bhaavanaa – Imagination.

From various dictionaries:
bhava = coming into existence , birth , production , origin , arising or produced from , being in , relating to ; becoming , turning into (comp.); being, state of being, existence, life; worldly existence, the world
Bhava i.e. Shiva and his wife.

Meanings of "bhava":1. (at the end of comp.) arising or produced from

1.being;2.birth;3.source;4.worldly existence;5.the world;6.well-being;7.excellence;8.name of Shiva;

Bhaava. Becoming, being, existing, occurring, appearance; turning or transition into.  
Meanings of "bhaava": 1.being; 2.becoming; 3.state; 4.manner; 5.rank; 6.true condition or state;
7. Innate property; 8.inclination or disposition of mind; 9.feeling; 10.love; 11.purport; 12.meaning;
13.resolution;14.the heart;15.existing thing;16.a being;17.abstract meditation;18.conduct;19.gesture;20.birth;21.the world;22.the womb;23.will;

This world is Bhava Sagar – (Ocean of Becoming), and hence the Mother Goddess Taaraa is called Bhavaani (A form of Paarvati, wife of lord Shiva) She who becomes everything and to save us from this world of becoming, she takes the form of Bhava Taarini (Takes us safely from this ocean of constant becoming). And hence the Bhaava is superimposed on Raashi.

In Western Astrology Bhaavas are called houses.
The first house is the house which rises on the Eastern Horizon you will see a particular Raashi (Assuming you know, how to identify the star constituting the Raashi) rising (Ascending or climbing)

Suppose the rising sign is Dhanu, it is - Lagnaa or Ascendant
Makara will be the – Second Bhaava
Kumbha will be the – Third Bhaava
Meena will be the – Forth Bhaava

And so on …
The houses are counted zodiacally.

Here if we take the Raashis to be Static aspect of the zodiac, the Bhaavas are the Dynamic aspects of the zodiac.

The first house is the Rising Raashi,
The forth house is the yet to Rise and is below the horizon. In fact it is right below the feet. (Represents midnight)
The Seventh House is the Raashi which is setting in the west, just going below the horizon. (Represents Sunset)
The Tenth House is the topmost (Represents noon)

The first house is akin to Mesha, the fourth akin to Karaka, the seventh house is akin to Tula and the tenth house is akin to Makara.

Now take the 5th to 9th from each of these houses like
1st – 5th – 9th
2nd – 6th – 10th
3rd – 7th – 11th
4th – 8th – 12th

These houses are in the harmony – firstly because they represents the same Tatwaa.
The 5th from any house is its future.
The 9th from any house is its past.
These are the Trikona (Trines)

The 1 – 4 – 7 – 10 houses from any house are the pillars of the sector. These are the Kendra (Squares)

For example, the first house represents the sense of being ness the “I AM” feeling in any horoscope for the native (Jataka). (The Native or Jataka means the person whose horoscope is being read by the Jyotisha.)

The 5th house will represent the future sense of “I”
And 9th house will represent the past sense of “I”

The first and the other two houses will represent the same tatwaas.
The 4th from the 1st belongs to the same motive force, Sthira, Chara or Dwijbhaava and hence co-operate with each other. Like the example given in the Raashi Lesson – where the cars were moving in their particular lane as per the speed limit.

The first house represents the self. Your characteristics, your nature etc. this represents your Dharmaa – That which you hold.

The fourth house is the lowest point where “I” sense will be at the lowest. Totally forgetting the “I” sense is Mokshaa or The Liberation.

The 7th house is the opposite of the 1st house representing your interactions with the outside world. (This house is the doorway to the world) in other words, it is intercourse with the world hence this is Kamaa. (Desires)

The 10th house is the topmost house (Directly over head). This represents, pinnacle of “I”. Feeling this is Arthaa.

The trines from each of these four houses form the Trikonaas (Trines) of the particular Purusharthaa.

The four Purusharthaas are Dharmaa, Arthaa, Kaama, and Mokshaa. And are called the Aayaanas or aims of life.

Dharmaa

This represents the person’s belief systems. Every person holds in him / her some belief system which is said to define him / her for the society.
A person is born into a belief system by birth in a family professing it (first Bhaava).
The person goes to a certain place for worship (ninth house).
The person holds some book or words as sacred (fifth house).

Arthaa

The person has to define to the world at large. This “Trying to define himself” to the world is done through speech, food (second house),
Work ethics, hard labor, and the ability to control the people (sixth house).
Earn money, work hard and achieve power (tenth house).

Kaama

Every person has legitimate or otherwise desires, which can be fulfilled as per the norms of the society. Personal interactions i.e. person to person (third house),
Business interactions i.e. buying - Selling, partnership, negotiations (seventh house)
Social interactions i.e. Friends etc (eleventh house).

Mokshaa

This is the end point of all human existence “Freedom”.

Freedom from the feeling “I”
As in the Mothers womb or Lap (fourth house).
As in sickness or death (eighth house)
As in sleep or Liberation (twelfth house)
As we have seen that there is a synchronicity (as in Raashis having same motive force) as well as empathy (as in Raashis having same elements) Therefore in traditional Jyotisha, the house is a full Raaashi.

I.e. suppose the degree of the sign rising on the horizon is 18 degrees, the whole Raashi of Tula will be treated as the first house. The second house will be Vrischika, the third will be Dhanu, the forth will be Makara, the fifth will be Kumbha and so on… unlike Western Astrology.
There are house divisions also in Jyotish but it will be discussed later.

The Lords of Raashis:
The Lords of these Raashis will be the Lords of these Bhaavas. Like Tula rising will be lagna and so the Lord of the 1st Bhaava or Lagnaadhipati will be Shukra. The Lord of the 2nd Bhaava will be Ketu / Mars because they are the Co _ Lords of the Vrishchika. The lord of the 3rd Bhaava will be Guru as he is the Lord of Dhanu, which falls in the 3rd house and so on.

So we have learnt that each bhaava has certain significations, each rules some compartment of life of an individual, each falls in a certain Raashi, each has a lord ruling it.
Each Bhaava also has a planet (Graha) who becomes its significator.
We will deal in detail with all these aspects in detail in the next posts in this lesson.

--------------------------------End of Bhavaas-------------------------------------

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”