Lesson 4. The Bhaava (Houses).

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:05 pm

Namaskaar Asro ji,
The directions denoted by the Bhaavas is the Aayaana, or the movement of the native towards a particular goal. There are four aayaanas or as they are called the Purushaarthas. The Bhaavas are grouped into the four Purushaarthas and the Grahas placed in a Bhaava will follow the Bhaavas Purushaartha.

The Grahas also have directions. These directions are given in the Digh chakra.

RishiRahul and vivek.
asro wrote:Hi Rishiji And Vivekji

In  start of this chapter you have mentioned about the directions the house indicate and if i am not wrong the raashis also indicate the directions.

so my question is how are we to use these directions ??  What do these directions indicate on ones chart (apart from plotting of the charts)?? For eg the lagna shows the east , so the 7H shall indicates  West .So is it right to say (astronomically) that the planets that  occupy the 7th H , were in west at the time of natives birth ?? Or a Planet in 11th H shows he was in Southeast ?? . So now what is  the correlation of these planets to the house  (they occupy) and the native (w.r.t to direction of house)… In short how are we to use the  directions indicated by the various houses ??

Regards

Asro

asro

Post by asro » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:07 pm

hi Vivekji

If this topic (realted to directions) does not fall in advanced section or  does not belong to some other chapter , Vivekji could you explain my querry with some example.

warm regards
Asro

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:22 pm

asro wrote:hi Vivekji

If this topic (realted to directions) does not fall in advanced section or  does not belong to some other chapter , Vivekji could you explain my querry with some example.

warm regards
Asro
Namaskaar asro ji,
It is not advanced topic and has been already discussed.
The four Kendra Bhaavas show the Four Aayaanas - Directions or goals of life for total fulfilment in life.
They are- Dharma (1st, 5th and 9th).
Dharma is the belief system a person holds and tries to regulate his/her life.
9th Bhaava: This is acquired from birth by being born in a particular family professing a particular faith and going to a particular Church, Temple etc.
The first Bhaava is your Dharma or your innate nature.
fifth is the direction these acquired and inherent beleifs take shape.

Artha (2nd, 6th, 10th).
the second is the resources available to the person in form of a good family, Saved money etc.
6th is the hardwork and competition with other people in order to increase the person competence.
10th is the power a person enjoys because of the resource at his/her command.

Kaama: (3rd, 7th and 11th)
3rd is the Bhaava where you dare to explore to go beyond yourself. It is the Bhaava of courage and intercourse.
7th is the interaction with the not you (as opposed to the Me), this completes the polarity and makes 'you' whole.
11th is the gain from the interaction in form of a true friend.

Moksha: (4th, 8th and 12th)
Here the focus is on losing the individuality and dissolving the 'i' as well as the 'not i'.
Fourth is your mind where you confront your demons, 8th is where you try to exorcise them and 12th is where you are totally satisfied (Samaadhi) or otherwise with the way life has shaped.

These directions are very important in life and gives a completion and meaning to life. Any lopsided developement in a particular direction at the cost of other goals doesn't make for a balanced life.
Planets placed in particular Bhaava will lead you to that direction and either help you acheive fullness in it or frustrate the person in acheiving it.
Examples will be discussed at a later stage, as to understand the dynamics of a Chart requires many more factors and any real life chart will challenge our knowledge. To acheive success you need underastanding of more than one factor in a chart.

The Bhaavas also show the horizontal and the vertical directions.

RishiRahul and vivek

asro

Post by asro » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:04 pm

Hi Vivekji

they say any information is knowledge, and that my case here . I did know abt the Dharma; Arth ,Kama and Moksha trikon , but today u have given to me a compeltely different prespective. Albeit my question reagrding  the direction was to learn that how may one decide (or how does one decide) for eg. that one might get a job offer from west , or like one may get a wife from east etc .. I was actually linking the directions to these superficial facts rather than what u explained.     Do these also indicate what i have mentioned ??

warm regards
Asro

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:59 pm

asro wrote:Hi Vivekji

they say any information is knowledge, and that my case here . I did know abt the Dharma; Arth ,Kama and Moksha trikon , but today u have given to me a compeltely different prespective. Albeit my question reagrding  the direction was to learn that how may one decide (or how does one decide) for eg. that one might get a job offer from west , or like one may get a wife from east etc .. I was actually linking the directions to these superficial facts rather than what u explained.     Do these also indicate what i have mentioned ??

warm regards
Asro
Namaskaar asro ji,
The directions you speak of are better indicated by the Grahas and Raashis.

RishiRahul and vivek.

rajitha

Post by rajitha » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:13 pm

Vivekji & Rahulji,
   A couple of questions from my side -

1) When you talk about kendras, succedent and cadent houses and what they represent, does the absence of planets or overabundance of planets in one or more mean something ?
For ex, I have no planets in succedent houses. Does that mean that I don't have firmness and stability as a person? How do we interpret this?

2) On the same lines, if we look at the planet distribution in the DAKM houses, I have 2 planets each in Dharma, A, K & 3 in Moksha.
Does this mean I am a balanced person. If a person has more in a particular category, can we assume that the person's main aim is towards that particular aspect in life?

Also, u said that a planet in a particular house will lead the native towards it or frustrate the native in that aspect (DAKM)
Can we say that if the planet is well placed, it assists, else it frustrates.

Thanks.

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:55 am

Namashkaar Rajitha,

Succedent is not a Jyotish term, but presumably you are speaking of the 2nd, 5th, 8, 11 house. May I learn about your understanding about this type of house combinations.

My feeling is that the absence of planets make a person not much attracted to the extra sensory enjoyments of life and the serious side could develop depending on the other planets.

Since we are not dealing with personal charts, it would be very incorrect to speak of personal leanings, without an actual look of individual charts, which is not within the purview of this thread.

Regarding your question..'Does that mean that I don't have firmness and stability as a person?'....... is not supported.

Regarding planets in Dharma, Artha, Kama, Moksha spheres, less, more, absent planets in such spheres simply show the extent of activity in those areas in the present life.

Regarding your question...'Also, u said that a planet in a particular house will lead the native towards it or frustrate the native in that aspect (DAKM)
Can we say that if the planet is well placed, it assists, else it frustrates.'.............. Answer is Yes. Again sometimes through frustation also we develop. The functional qualities of the planets should be judged.

vivek and RishiRahul

rajitha

Post by rajitha » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:08 pm

Rishiji,
  Thank you.
The term I used succedent is from the lesson you have posted referring to the houses mentioned by you.

Secondly, I am using my chart as an example. It does not matter if you can explain the concept using some other chart also.

My main question is - Can we understand the inclination or orientation of a person by the distribution of planets in the DAKM houses?
To delve deeper, can we analyze something more by the kind of planets in those houses. For instance, Ketu being a natural moksha karaka might feel comfortable in Moksha houses, etc.

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:43 pm

Namashkaar Rajitha,

The inclination or orientation of the person should be understood from the DAKM houses.

Ketu being mokshakaraka is to feel comfortable in Moksha houses, but there the effect of it being in a friends/ enemies house should be taken including the malefic affects of Ketu being a natural malefic.

To the best we could evaluate that out of the 4 (dakm) houses which is heavier and in which way.

You could give an example with your chart with an analysis.

Vivek and RishiRahul

kumar69

ascendant in boarder

Post by kumar69 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:05 pm

Rishi ji & Vivek Ji

Namaskar

May be this is a silly question but please clarify.

What if the ascendant is in the boarder of a sign.?
If the ascendant is 0 degree vrischik - then the ascendant is weak . what does this weak means - the person will be weak in bodyily health, weak personality,weak or no job etc.

If the 1st bhava has a strength of > 7 rupas will the significations of the 1st bhava be ruined

Please clarify

kumar69

boarder of sign

Post by kumar69 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:00 pm

Rishi ji & Vivek Ji

Namaskar

If the ascendant is 0 degree vrischik - then the ascendant is weak . what does this weak means - the person will be weak in bodyily health, weak personality,weak or no job etc.

regards

i had posted this query but didnt got a reply

vivekvshetty

Re: boarder of sign

Post by vivekvshetty » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:07 pm

kumar69 wrote:Rishi ji & Vivek Ji

Namaskar

regards

i had posted this query but didnt got a reply
Namaskaar Kumar ji,
Our suggestion would be not to look into these charts for now.
It requires great expertise to find the correct birth time as no recorded birth time is accurate.
For a beginner it is better to avoid looking at such charts.

We still have to see a Chart with the Lagna at exact zero degrees.

RishiRahul and vivek.

JaiDixit

Re: Special nomenclature.

Post by JaiDixit » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:41 pm

vivekvshetty wrote:Types Of Houses: The Bhaavas are grouped into teams depending on their common properties
1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th =Kendras (called Angles in Western Astrology)
Planets placed in the 1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th houses can become very powerful as these houses give strength and influence the capacity for the reaping of good results to the horoscope. These are the pillars of the Kundali (Horoscope). They are the Vishnu Sthanas (the dwelling place of Lord Vishnu - thePreserver of the universe).
2nd, 5th, 8th, and 11th = Panaphara (called Succedent Houses)
The 2nd, 5th, 8th, and 11th houses give firmness, stability, and security to the horoscope. They are the houses representing the future.
3rd, 6th, 9th, and 12th = Apoklima (Cadent Houses).
The 3rd, 6th, 9th, and 12th houses provide communication, consideration, and assessment to the horoscope. They represent the past
1st, 5th, and 9th = Trikona (the Trine Houses).
The 1st, 5th, and 9th houses provde luck, grace, fortune, and blessings. They are called the Laxmi Sthanas (The Place Where the Goddess of wealth dwells).
6th, 8th, and 12th = Trika Sthanas (Troublesome Houses).
The 6th, 8th, and 12th houses indicate the need for change by forcing difficulties upon the native. They are the Malefic houses. Remeber the sixth Bhaava represents the Enemies, The eighth represents diseases and the twelfth again secret enimies and losses.
Houses of Increase: 3rd, 6th, 10th, and 11th = Upachaya Sthanas.
The 3rd, 6th, 10th, and 11th houses give their effects in increasing measures throughout the native's life. the reason for this grouping is already given in some other post in this course.
RishiRahul and vivek.

Consider the 2 verses

1.The 2nd, 5th, 8th, and 11th houses give firmness, stability, and security to the horoscope. They are the houses representing the future.

2.6th, 8th, and 12th = Trika Sthanas (Troublesome Houses).
The 6th, 8th, and 12th houses indicate the need for change by forcing difficulties upon the native. They are the Malefic houses. Remeber the sixth Bhaava represents the Enemies, The eighth represents diseases and the twelfth again secret enimies and losses.

Now from verse (1)  8th house is a part of good houses as it gives firmness,stability and security but its also a part of a troublesome house
as its state 6th, 8th, and 12th = Trika Sthanas (Troublesome Houses).

Likewise 12th house is studied for secret enemies,losses and at the same time its also studied for Moksha

I find it contradicting and confusing the way the houses are grouped.

I'm sure there are valid reasons behind the grouping, but I'm just trying to comprehend.

Thanks,
Jai

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:16 pm

JaiDixit wrote: Consider the 2 verses

1.The 2nd, 5th, 8th, and 11th houses give firmness, stability, and security to the horoscope. They are the houses representing the future.

2.6th, 8th, and 12th = Trika Sthanas (Troublesome Houses).

Now from verse (1)  8th house is a part of good houses as it gives firmness,stability and security but its also a part of a troublesome house
as its state 6th, 8th, and 12th = Trika Sthanas (Troublesome Houses).

Likewise 12th house is studied for secret enemies,losses and at the same time its also studied for Moksha

I find it contradicting and confusing the way the houses are grouped.

I'm sure there are valid reasons behind the grouping, but I'm just trying to comprehend.

Thanks,
Jai
Namaskaar Jai ji,
It is from two different perspectives that the two sentences were written.
The 6th , 8th and 12th are bad houses from the perspective of Lagna or from a Bhaava. lke from the 2nd bhaava the seventh ninth and the first become the 6th, 8th, 12th and are not conducive to the second bhaava.

The Phanaphara bahaavas are the houses of the future from a kendra,
like the 5th is the future of the 1st, the 8th is the future of the 4th, the 11th is the future of the 7th and 2nd is the future of the 10th.

coming to the 8th Bhaava - it is the future of the 4th or it directs the 4th or we may say it leads the 4th.
A clear stomach first thing in the morning helps to keep the mind clear the whole day! or else the whole day may be spoiled.

See the connection?
Some points for you to ponder.
The four Kendras are the four forms of Dhi Sakthi. 4th is Suddhi (purity) and also the root Bhaava of health.
4th and 8th are also a part of the Moksha trikona along with the 12th.

RishiRahul and vivek.

deepakosho

Post by deepakosho » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:55 pm

vivekvshetty wrote:
Namaskaar Jai ji,
It is from two different perspectives that the two sentences were written.
The 6th , 8th and 12th are bad houses from the perspective of Lagna or from a Bhaava. lke from the 2nd bhaava the seventh ninth and the first become the 6th, 8th, 12th and are not conducive to the second bhaava.

The Phanaphara bahaavas are the houses of the future from a kendra,
like the 5th is the future of the 1st, the 8th is the future of the 4th, the 11th is the future of the 7th and 2nd is the future of the 10th.

coming to the 8th Bhaava - it is the future of the 4th or it directs the 4th or we may say it leads the 4th.
A clear stomach first thing in the morning helps to keep the mind clear the whole day! or else the whole day may be spoiled.

See the connection?
Some points for you to ponder.
The four Kendras are the four forms of Dhi Sakthi. 4th is Suddhi (purity) and also the root Bhaava of health.
4th and 8th are also a part of the Moksha trikona along with the 12th.

RishiRahul and vivek.
Hi RishiRahul and Vivek,

My namaste to you.

On this same note can I draw the following understanding ?

9 (father) is the past of 1 (I)
12 (sleep) is the past of 4 (happiness)
3 (initiative) is the past of 7 (desire)
6 (hardwork) is the past of 2 (money)

the only confusion here is in case of 3 and 7 (should not it be the other way, desire makes us to initiate activity)?

- Deepak

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”