Lesson 5. The Grahas (Planets).

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:10 pm

Dear rkirana,
I am sorry for interuppting in between and i hope vivek ji, rishi rahul ji and you wont mind it.
I think u r running much ahead,actually u r putting second step before putting first step and thus getting imbalanced.
The lessons r very clear till now if you try to go just by the notes given by our mentors then you wont get so confused.
You shud first try to understand what r different planets exhaltation , deb and mooltrikona raashis and try to memorize them.
The strength u r talking about is again a whole topic in itself and is part of chapter -N.

The topics you have discussed in your reply(VEDHA, SHDABALA,DEGREES etc) havent been taught in the forum and its obvious that if you havent read astrology before (and even if you have then applicable to others)then you may not understand it like other or most of the members.So i will request you to kindly go with the flow and what is been taught in the forum.I know J-hora is very exhaustive software and gives details of few things which may attract attention for example go to strength and click on other strengths TAB and you will see diferent yogas with fascinating or sometimes horrifying explanations which may trigger list of queries but till the time you wont study astrology you shudnt go by mere words.

I, in anhy way didnt wanna to discourage you from asking questions, I just wanna to express my feeling, i hope i havnt hurt anyones feeling.Hope to see more of you.
Thanking you
Raman

rkirana

Post by rkirana » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:48 am

Ramandeep Ji,

I agree. I will post this query on strength of planets under another topic on the Vedic astrology page.

I would appreciate a lot if someone tells me how to find out the strength of SHani, Surya and Shukra from my horoscope?

Jai Gurudev
Thanks
Kiran
Kirana

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:50 pm

rkirana wrote:Thanks Rishiji and Vivekji,

I am confused.
I wanted to see the strength of following in my horoscope:
Surya, Shani and Shukra

Shadbala is showing Shani as 111%, Surya as 118% and SHukra as 106%. What do these numbers mean?
Transits show Sun as Death, Shukra as achievement under vedha from Rahu and Shani as Parama mitra. What do these mean?

I want to find strength of Shani, Surya and Shukra from my horoscope based on the planets lessons that I learned on exaltation, debilitation, own house etc. How do I find this out?

Thanks again to the learned gurus.
Jai Gurudev!!
Namaskaar Kirana ji,
we are still to cover the Shadbala (six sources of strength), its calculations and uses.
from the lessons covered till now, if you read it carefully you will have a fair idea of the strength of a Graha.
Take for example shani in your chart.
Shani is placed in kanyaa in the third house.
It is close to its uccha Raashi so it has Uccha bala.
It is far away from its Digbala bhaava (the seventh Bhaava) so it has little digbala.
it is placed in a sign of Budha which in turn is placed in Makara (owned by shani) so we can take it to be fairly placed.
It is the lord of seventh and Eighth houses and placed in the third house, it is okay.
so on the whole Shani is of medium strength.
coming to Surya, it is placed in Dhanu Raashi which happens to be the sixth house and is the lord of the second house.
it is placed closer to its Neecha raashi and hence does not have much Uchha bala. it is also far from its digbala Bhaava (tenth bhaava) hence it lacks directional strength. it is placed in its friends Raashi and hence it is happy, but it does not like the sixth house though it is bad for your enemies, but it is also bad for other Kaarakatwa (significations) of Surya will suffer.
Coming to Shukra, it is the lord of the fourth and the eleventh Bhaava and placed in the sixth house. it is equidistant from its uchha Raashi and its Neecha Raashi, so it has middling uchha bala, it has Digbala in the fourth Bhaava and placed in the sixth it is fairly strong as far as dig bala is concerned. But shukra is not happy to be in the sixth house (we will come to the bad houses for each Grahas soon) so it cannot be said to be strong.

Given above is a rough idea to gain insight into the strength of Grahas in a Horoscope. There are other factors also and we still have to cover those in this course. But from the above discussion you will have a fair idea as to how we can judge the strengths of each Grahas.
If you wait till this course catches up with your query, you will have the full answer.

Thank you for your questions.

RishiRahul and Vivek.

rkirana

Post by rkirana » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:26 am

Dear Vivekji/RishiRahulji

Thanks a lot for the information.

The course has been wonderful with everything explained from the basics..........I am sure the course participants will have strong foundation in astrology after going through this course.

Looking forward to the future lessons.

Jai Gurudev!
THanks
Kiran
Kirana

I_seek_the _truth

Post by I_seek_the _truth » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:16 pm

though this may not be a question related to the topic entirely, I have some doubts on the nature of planets.

When we say a benefic aspecting a house in a particular chart, are we referring to the natural beneficity or maleficity of the planets...? or are we referring to the particular benefic or malefic planets for each lagna that is given in Parashara Hora...?

Im quite unable to understand in full the Parashara Hora statements on this subject. There is a lot that I think could be incomplete translation.

Respected gurus...  

Please put up a post detailing the answer to this doubt of mine.
also If you can please put up a post detailing the malefic or benefic nature of the planets for every lagna for the benefit of beginners like us.

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:12 pm

I_seek_the _truth wrote:though this may not be a question related to the topic entirely, I have some doubts on the nature of planets.

When we say a benefic aspecting a house in a particular chart, are we referring to the natural beneficity or maleficity of the planets...? or are we referring to the particular benefic or malefic planets for each lagna that is given in Parashara Hora...?

Im quite unable to understand in full the Parashara Hora statements on this subject. There is a lot that I think could be incomplete translation.

Respected gurus...  

Please put up a post detailing the answer to this doubt of mine.
also If you can please put up a post detailing the malefic or benefic nature of the planets for every lagna for the benefit of beginners like us.
Namskaar Seeker,
Very soon we hope to clear all doubts on the points raised by you.

RishiRahul &vivek.

I_seek_the _truth

Post by I_seek_the _truth » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:06 pm

Dear Vivekji...

My name is Jayanth.

I have gone through the articles that you and Mr. Sarajit Poddar have put up on SCRIBD.

I must say that they are some of the best articles that explain Vedic Astrology in detail. For persons like me with neither the time nor the opportunity to attend a formal Jyotish teaching structure like SJC, what you and other gurus are doing is amazing.

Please continue this good work for people like me.

thank you.

I_seek_the _truth

Post by I_seek_the _truth » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:03 pm

Dear gurus,

Apart from the classics, which are difficult to understand except through the teachings of people like you, which other books in vedic astrology are good for an exhaustive treatment of Jyotish in detail. I want books that are aimed at the Jyotish Intermediate student, and not the beginner.

Please suggest suitable books so that we students can learn more of this wonderful course.

So far I have read beginner's books like Light on Life, Astrology of the seers, and so on. I want a good book that will talk more advanced than these books. I have also gone through a little of the classics, however without some experienced person's explanation, its difficult to go through them alone by oneself.

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:08 am

Namashkaar I_seek_the _truth,

We wonder and welcome your spirit to learn!  You could make out a list of the books you have gone through.

But certainly it would be best to follow the classes for better, slow and very steady understanding, giving the stuedents time for sloow, but steady understanding.

vivek and RishiRahul

I_seek_the _truth

Post by I_seek_the _truth » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:52 pm

I will always follow the classes rishiji....

I also have no intention of rushing up things too soon.

I was only asking  for the books because right now my interest in Jyotish is at an all time high..! something to do with my "Ra Me Ju Ra" dasha I suppose...!

Light on life was one good book i read. I have gone through RRji's primer too. I have also read James Braha.

I have covered books like All these books have increased my appetite for Jyotish...!

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:40 am

Namashkaar I_seek_the _truth,

I personally feel that the best books to start learning from are the series of books written by Dr. B. V. Raman. Your basics will be more than firm.

RishiRahul

pansel

Post by pansel » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:38 pm

The benefic and malefic effects of planets are important thinks to be learnt from the lessons

pansel

Post by pansel » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:42 pm

It seems that finding out the strength of grahas is the finer art in astrology.

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:54 pm

pansel wrote:It seems that finding out the strength of grahas is the finer art in astrology.
Namaskaar,
You had asked somewhere as to what Mangal is called in Tamil.

Mangal
Mars
Kuja
Chevvai
Hope this helps.

RishiRahul and vivek

rajitha

Post by rajitha » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:11 pm

Another great lesson.

Vivekji, I just wanted to bring out some differences in the mythological stories.

1) I want to point out that the picture you should of the planets did not show Lord Shani with a vehicle of crow. Lord Shani's vehicle is the crow and I have seen many places with different versions but the correct answer there would be crow.

2) Secondly, coming to the story of Lord Ganesha, people in south were mainly told a story where Parvathi creates a statue of a boy from her body and requests Lord Brahma to grant life to it. She instructs the boy to guard when she is taking a bath. Lord Shiva without knowing the boy to be Parvathi's son beheads him. An elephant head is placed after Parvathi is unconsolable.

So, there are various versions to the stories.

But, thanks for bringing out the stories behind each deity/planet.
Another thing I want to ask is - why do gods being supreme beings show emotions similar to humans - Like Moon neglecting other wives and having affairs, etc.

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”