Lesson 5. The Grahas (Planets).

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:19 pm

rajitha wrote:Another great lesson.

Vivekji, I just wanted to bring out some differences in the mythological stories.

1) I want to point out that the picture you should of the planets did not show Lord Shani with a vehicle of crow. Lord Shani's vehicle is the crow and I have seen many places with different versions but the correct answer there would be crow.

2) Secondly, coming to the story of Lord Ganesha, people in south were mainly told a story where Parvathi creates a statue of a boy from her body and requests Lord Brahma to grant life to it. She instructs the boy to guard when she is taking a bath. Lord Shiva without knowing the boy to be Parvathi's son beheads him. An elephant head is placed after Parvathi is unconsolable.

So, there are various versions to the stories.

But, thanks for bringing out the stories behind each deity/planet.
Another thing I want to ask is - why do gods being supreme beings show emotions similar to humans - Like Moon neglecting other wives and having affairs, etc.
Namaskaar Rajitha ji,
As you have pointed out the Vaahana for Shani is the Crow, but there is something common between a Crow and a Vulture, What is it?

The Story of Lord Ganesha's appearence are many (may be Mudgal puraana or Ganesh Puraana is a good source for this).
The story which you have given has a very deep meaning behind it, in fact any good story, specially in the scriptures have seven or more layers of meaning in them they say.
Creation taking place without Shiva Principle is not perfect or natural and hence has to be destroyed by the destroyer.
Ganesh is the Patron Deity of us Jyotishas and also the most loved Deity in India if we may say so. Ganesha and his form, his birth, vehicle, spouses etc have a very deep meaning. Try to unravel them from the stories with deep insight and you will marvel at the Rishis and how they couched each deep secrets in seemingly human stories.
Dive deep and dont just stand there on the bank. Great treasures await you.

RishiRahul and vivek

rajitha

Post by rajitha » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:25 pm

Thanks Vivekji.

I cannot think any similarity between the two birds. Appreciate if you could tell me.

Regarding the stories, I understand that there is more to it than meets the eye but stories are known to everyone. But, only a few can think deep and understand the real meaning. It may lead to misunderstanding in general people.

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:58 pm

rajitha wrote:Thanks Vivekji.

I cannot think any similarity between the two birds. Appreciate if you could tell me.

Regarding the stories, I understand that there is more to it than meets the eye but stories are known to everyone. But, only a few can think deep and understand the real meaning. It may lead to misunderstanding in general people.
Namaskaar Rajitha ji,
Are not both birds scavengers?

Regarding the stories, we are not the general people but budding Jyotishas.

RishiRahul and vivek.

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:01 pm

Dear Vivek ji and RishiRahul ji,

Actually i was going through course lookig for right place to put this question but cudnt find it so putting it here only,
Please do move it if you think if it is at wrong place Or please do let me know if i am asking ahead of course bcoz i dont remember that you have mentioned this question in course yet and i may or may not b wrong.

In graha maitri Venus and jupiter score 0(and otherwise also they considered to enemy of each other) but pisces(which is owned by jupiter) is exaltation place of Venus. I do understand that this may be among those few things which we have to accept from BPHS(without arguing about it coz may be our understanding is too small to understand all what has been thought by Sage Parashara) but if there is some logic behind it then please do let us know.
For Venus Jupiter is Neutral and For Jupiter Venus is Enemy.

Please do reply.

Thanking you
Raman

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:10 pm

Dear Vivek ji and RishiRahul ji,
Just a request or Suggestion. I was going through Course details in this forum and found that course is getting more elaborate then what has been mentioned in the course details, like there is not a mention of Argala in the course details.

So dont u think wont it would be good idea to change the details coz it will make going thru whole course details at a glance much more easy and also to do topic search easy.

Its just a suggestion.

Thanking You
Raman

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:14 pm

Raman Deep Singh wrote:Dear Vivek ji and RishiRahul ji,

Actually i was going through course lookig for right place to put this question but cudnt find it so putting it here only,
Please do move it if you think if it is at wrong place Or please do let me know if i am asking ahead of course bcoz i dont remember that you have mentioned this question in course yet and i may or may not b wrong.

In graha maitri Venus and jupiter score 0(and otherwise also they considered to enemy of each other) but pisces(which is owned by jupiter) is exaltation place of Venus. I do understand that this may be among those few things which we have to accept from BPHS(without arguing about it coz may be our understanding is too small to understand all what has been thought by Sage Parashara) but if there is some logic behind it then please do let us know.
For Venus Jupiter is Neutral and For Jupiter Venus is Enemy.

Please do reply.

Thanking you
Raman
Namaskaar Raman ji,
A Graha in uccha (Exalation) is said to be in its happiest place, like it is enjoying the most there.
It is like we take a break from home and office and go for some outing, perhaps a vaction, may be for some Disneyland, Wildlife sanctuary, meditation retreat. The hectic schedule and deadlines dont bother us and we become like kids throughly enjoying ourselves.
In the above context try to see the exaltations of Grahas.
What is it about Meena that makes Shukra so happy?
RishiRahul and vivek.

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:20 am

Dear Vivek ji and Rishirahul ji.

I cudnt understand many reasons for exhaltations of venus being happy in Jupiter's raashi i.e. meena.
Meena's lord is jupiter which is known for his knowledge & wisdom, and since Venus is also brahmin and wise like jupiter
thus their shud be an effect of knowledge on venus(being in pisces) making him happy being in his own element i.e. knowledge but that is same with saggitarious(jup. lordship) but thats not the place of venus being exhalted.

Pisces are known for their social nature and venus is (i think)kaaraka for friendship and social behaviour, thus it shud be happy in Pisces. Other properties of Meena arent so strong for giving us a reason to place venus is meena for exhaltation.

I am not able to think many reasons for Venus being exhalted in Pisces.Please guide.

Thanking You
Raman

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:22 pm

Namashkar Ramanji,

Venus and Jupiter both are Brahmins and Guru's of a different sort as you are aware. Sometimes a Guru can learn from another. So a Guru can find another Guru's proper presence where he/she can blossom.

Venus in Pisces gets the depth(water+Pisces) of feeling, strong affection, which need to be stimulated. The powerful desires of Venus are never satisfied, giving some or more isolation factor(12th. house, Pisces again). Venus, therefore, in the sign of spiritualism and self sacrifice exalts there... or feels exalted as tender feelings are also received.

vivek and RishiRahul

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:16 pm

Dear Rishirahul ji and Vivek ji,
Thank you for the explanation about exhaltation of Venus but can you be bit more descriptive and can explain further.
Y Venus is not exhalted in its own house and y not in Saggitarious. Is depth is the only reason but  more depth can be achieved(i think) if it gets exhalted in Cancer which not even is having water element but its lord moon is itself gives you more depth of thinking and thus emotional understanding.It wont let you get satisfied also and desire to learn,will live longer.

I hope i am not confusing others.

Regards,
Raman

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:07 pm

Raman Deep Singh wrote:Dear Rishirahul ji and Vivek ji,
Thank you for the explanation about exhaltation of Venus but can you be bit more descriptive and can explain further.
Y Venus is not exhalted in its own house and y not in Saggitarious. Is depth is the only reason but  more depth can be achieved(i think) if it gets exhalted in Cancer which not even is having water element but its lord moon is itself gives you more depth of thinking and thus emotional understanding.It wont let you get satisfied also and desire to learn,will live longer.

I hope i am not confusing others.

Regards,
Raman
Namaskaar Raman ji,
To give a Puraanic allegory.
Lord Vishnu is Reclining on Shessa in Vaikuntta in Yoga nidra and Laxmi devi is devotedly massaging Bhagwaans feet. Laxmi is happiest doing this.

Meena is the ocean and also the mahapralaya. Karka is a river and Vrischika is a well or pond, maybe even a gutter.

Shukra is the selfish side of us which wants to enjoy even at the cost of others. The most selfish thing that can be done is to become unselfish or loose the self.

Just a few thoughts to help you onwards. It would be great if the exercise is repeated for other Grahas too.

RishiRahul and vivek.

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:15 am

Dear Vivek ji and Rishirahul ji,
I just wonder dont u people get tired of questions(sometimes stupid questions from people like me)and still encourage us(esp. me)to still keep on asking :) .
Thank you for your effort.
I will try to get as better and learn as much as possible.

Thanking You
Raman

TheSaint

Post by TheSaint » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:13 am

Hi,

As the Raashis start from Aries, notice that Venus the Lord of 2nd and 7th, becomes exalted in 12th.  12th which represents Moksha and Losses/Wastage.

If Venus is the Lord of 7th, representing spouse, partners, union with spouse, etc., will be very pleased in 12th where there is an excess loss of the vital fluid. i.e., Venus in 12th can usually lead to multiple partners in life etc., Venus in 12th can also be very auspicious, for instance for Aries Lagan.

Think about how Venus will respond for Scorpio Lagan, if placed in Libra.

Also from Aries, have a look at where all planets are exalted, Lording which house, and what it signifies.

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:32 pm

TheSaint wrote:Hi,

As the Raashis start from Aries, notice that Venus the Lord of 2nd and 7th, becomes exalted in 12th.  12th which represents Moksha and Losses/Wastage.

If Venus is the Lord of 7th, representing spouse, partners, union with spouse, etc., will be very pleased in 12th where there is an excess loss of the vital fluid. i.e., Venus in 12th can usually lead to multiple partners in life etc., Venus in 12th can also be very auspicious, for instance for Aries Lagan.

Think about how Venus will respond for Scorpio Lagan, if placed in Libra.

Also from Aries, have a look at where all planets are exalted, Lording which house, and what it signifies.
Namaskaar Karthikeyan ji,
Would it be possible for you to expand on this a bit more. It sounds interesting.
RishiRahul and vivek.

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:59 pm

Raman Deep Singh wrote:Dear Vivek ji and Rishirahul ji,
I just wonder dont u people get tired of questions(sometimes stupid questions from people like me)and still encourage us(esp. me)to still keep on asking :) .
Thank you for your effort.
I will try to get as better and learn as much as possible.

Thanking You
Raman
"You are asking questions to which you already have the answers. If you did not have the answer, you could not have the question.”
- U G krishnamurti

TheSaint

Exaltation

Post by TheSaint » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:32 am

Hi,

Ill try to give some intuitive understanding of why planets are exalted in their respective places.

We see from Aries, as it is the first house of the Zodiac.

SUN - Being the Lord of the 5th house, should be happy at 1,4,5,7,9,10.  Sun has directional strength at 10, but this is owned by Saturn. Sun represents Soul, and Soul represents the first house, so Sun is exalted in 1st house, which is Mars house and is also a Fiery sign.

SATURN - Being the Lord of 10 and 11.  Saturn has directional strength in 7th, Libra, also the house of Venus and an Airy Sign. Note that Saturn owns an Airy Sign. Also Saturn would like to do the opposite of what Sun does. So the exaltation is opposite. Lets look at other possible options. 1st house (No, Sun is exalted and also owned by Mars), 3 (possible) ,4 (No owned by Moon), 5( No owned by Sun), 6 (possible),  9 (No owned by Jup), 10 (possible, own sign), 11 (possible, own sign). I included all the Kendra, Konas and the Upachaya houses as Saturn owns a Kendra and Upachaya.

JUPITER - Owns 9 and 12, the houses of religious duty and Moksha. Possible options, 1,4,5,9,10. Directional Strength in 1st house, but Sun is exalted there. 9 is own house. 10 owned by Saturn. Strong candidates are 4 and 5, owned by Moon and Sun. Note that Capricorn represents cremation and Guru is everything but that. So, the exact opposite Cancer is reasonable for Jupiter.

VENUS - Owns 2 and 7, Maraka houses, 12th Lord can be considered as a Maraka planet. It fits well that Venus is exalted in 12th. I already mentioned about the 7/12 combination in a previous post. 7th Lord in 12th makes a person oversexed, and Venus strongly represents that matter. However for an Aries and Scorpio native, this not  be true, as Venus is exalted or in own house for these natives when placed in 12th. It could greatly help in spirituality.

MARS - Owns 1 and 8.  Directional Strength in 10th. Possible choices for exaltation 1,4,5,7,8,9,10,12. Mars, owns a mysterious house Scorpio, which is hidden and deals with underground layers. Nothing represents hidden better than Capricorn which stands for cremation. Mars would also like 12th, a hidden house and owned by friend Jupiter. But Pisces is too spiritual for his liking.

MERCURY - Owns 3 and 6. Possible choices, 3,6,8,10,11,12. I think that Aquarius would have been the ideal position for exaltation. Being an airy sign, owned by friend Saturn. Also being 11th an Upachaya house. However, 6th own house is been taken as the house of exaltation, which I am not sure why.

MOON - Owns 4. Possible choices, 1,4,5,7,9,10. 1(No, represents Mind and not the Soul), 4 (possible, own house), 5 (yes, owned by Sun), 9 (very favourable, Jupiter's house), 10 (No, Saturn owned).  However, Moon is exalted in 2nd. This seems driven more by its point of debility. Moon would not like to be hidden, i.e., 3, 6, 8, 12, Scorpio, Capricorn. 8th which deals with hidden matters, planets in 8th are considered being hidden, also 8th here is Scorpio. So it appears that Moon is weakest here, making the opposite Taurus its exaltation. I think 9th (Sagittarius) would have been a better option for exaltation.

NODES- It is considered that Rahu is exalted in Taurus and Gemini, and Ketu in Scorpio and Sagittarius. As Ketu owns Scorpio and Pisces, I think it is more appropriate that Ketu should be exalted in 9th house which is Jupiter's house, as Ketu is the most spiritual planet, this would make Rahu exalted in Mercury.

All the comments above, are just a general understanding and you need not agree with everything or anything mentioned above.

Karthikeyan

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”