Lesson 5. The Grahas (Planets).

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

prakrit03

Post by prakrit03 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:30 pm

Dear RishiRahulji,
sorry for posting on wrong forum I am a new member and I find this is a great forum. I have a little bit knowledge/ primary about astrology, gained through reading magazines only but I want to know and learn more and I want to join the learning forum.
Thanking you

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:09 pm

sowjanya wrote:Namastey Rahul ji,

here r the answers that i could write for the exercises in lesson 5 . i could not make out whether they r correct or not.

1. Using your own chart identify the sign each planet is in, state if the planet is in its own sign, exaltation, detriment or moolatrikona. List the sign and degree placements of each planet.

my dob is 22 may 1977 at afternoon 12.12 in prodattur (cuddapah) district in andhra pradesh , india.

mercury in mesha
sun and ju in vrishabha
mo in mithuna
sat in karka
ascending sign is simha
ra in kanya
ke, ve, ma in meena

no planet is in its own sign

venus is in its exlation sign meena

coming to the moolatrikona sign i could not understand
but after referring moolatrikona sign on internet  got some information and no sign in its moolatrikona

List the sign and degree placements of each planet , how to list i could not make out . from the online horoscope i got the chart and details
sun 07 tau 32
mo 23 gem 5
me 13 ari 49
ve 24 pis 33
ma 25 pis 19
ju 17 taur 4
sat 17 taur 53
ra 0 vir 9
ke 0 lib 9

as per ur mb free astrology rashi chart i got rahu in virgo
but as per another chart i got rahu in tula
why such a difference will it affect readings.

thanking u ,
sowjanya.
Namaskaar Sowjanya.
The difference may be due to one or many factors in the software you have used.
1)The aayanamsha may be different for both the softwares.
we use the Lahari or as it is also called 'chitra paksha' aayanamsha.
2)was there an option to use the mean longitude for the nodes (Raahu and Ketu are the nodes of Moon) of Chandra?
I use only the mean longitude for the nodes and not the true longitude.

Yes the difference wiil totally change the reading and interpretation of the chart, as you will realise as the course progresses further.

To all the co-leaners on this course i request them to bear with us for a few days. The pace of the course has slowed down due to time constraints on both of us.

vivek.

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:29 pm

prakrit03 wrote:Dear RishiRahulji,
sorry for posting on wrong forum I am a new member and I find this is a great forum. I have a little bit knowledge/ primary about astrology, gained through reading magazines only but I want to know and learn more and I want to join the learning forum.
Thanking you
Namaskaar Prakrit,
The luminaries (Surya & Chandra) are never retrograde.
The nodes of Chandra are always retrograde (i am talking of the mean nodes and not the true nodes)
The other five planets some times are direct (Maargi) and some times retrograde (Vakri).
which means they some times follow the Luminaries and some times follow the nodes.

There are other indications also for retrograde planets but for that you will have to wait for the lesson dealing with the motions of planets.

This subject of retrogression reminds me also of shri Chandulal Patel who  expired on the 14th of this month at the age of 92, his book on retrogression remains incomplete.
He had kindly given some pointers in the annual SJC conference held at Mumbai in the year 2005, He was the guest of Honour there on the opening day of the conference. It is a great loss to his Students and us Learners.

vivek.

vivekvshetty

Images of the Grahas.

Post by vivekvshetty » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:43 pm

This is an image of a painting of the Grahas.
This is to reinforce in the minds of us learners that the grahas are not the planets seen in the sky but much more in Vedic thought.
They are deities having divine as well as human traits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:29 pm

vivekvshetty wrote:
sowjanya wrote:Namastey Rahul ji,

here r the answers that i could write for the exercises in lesson 5 . i could not make out whether they r correct or not.

1. Using your own chart identify the sign each planet is in, state if the planet is in its own sign, exaltation, detriment or moolatrikona. List the sign and degree placements of each planet.

my dob is 22 may 1977 at afternoon 12.12 in prodattur (cuddapah) district in andhra pradesh , india.

mercury in mesha
sun and ju in vrishabha
mo in mithuna
sat in karka
ascending sign is simha
ra in kanya
ke, ve, ma in meena

no planet is in its own sign

venus is in its exlation sign meena

coming to the moolatrikona sign i could not understand
but after referring moolatrikona sign on internet  got some information and no sign in its moolatrikona

List the sign and degree placements of each planet , how to list i could not make out . from the online horoscope i got the chart and details
sun 07 tau 32
mo 23 gem 5
me 13 ari 49
ve 24 pis 33
ma 25 pis 19
ju 17 taur 4
sat 17 taur 53
ra 0 vir 9
ke 0 lib 9

as per ur mb free astrology rashi chart i got rahu in virgo
but as per another chart i got rahu in tula
why such a difference will it affect readings.

thanking u ,
sowjanya.
Namaskaar Sowjanya.
The difference may be due to one or many factors in the software you have used.
1)The aayanamsha may be different for both the softwares.
we use the Lahari or as it is also called 'chitra paksha' aayanamsha.
2)was there an option to use the mean longitude for the nodes (Raahu and Ketu are the nodes of Moon) of Chandra?
I use only the mean longitude for the nodes and not the true longitude.

Yes the difference wiil totally change the reading and interpretation of the chart, as you will realise as the course progresses further.

To all the co-leaners on this course i request them to bear with us for a few days. The pace of the course has slowed down due to time constraints on both of us.

vivek.

Hello Sowjanya,

THE AYANAMSA is an astonomical value. Different values of it are used by different astrologers and it is a debatable subject.

For the present we will stick to the ayanamsa mentioned by Vivekji. The default ayansa in the link I sent you in my previous post. It is called 'Jhora' or Jagannath hora 7.02' version. It is the best software ( the most accurate and free. I rate it even better than the costliest Vedic astrology software available). Use the default values while using it.

The MB software you used does not have a true or mean Rahu/Ketu option. So do not let it confuse you too. We follow the 'Mean'value which is 'default' in therecommended software.

You are requested not to get hung up on the terms for the present.
It would do good to learn to cast a chart manually too.

'Moolatrikona' is also known as 'Anandasthanas', where the planet is blissfully happy. A planet there is considered to be strong and positive, in office,and in a better position than if it were in its own sign. This placement, however, is not as powerful as exaltation.
You have Rahu and Ketu in moolatrikona sthanas. Ketu in Pisces and Rahu in Virgo.

RishiRahul

prakrit03

Post by prakrit03 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:40 pm

Thank you verymuch Vivekji for answering. As this is a lesson of Grahas I want to know if the grah well placed but in nich rashi or balyavastha or mrityuavastha how does in predicted if  say Guru in 4th house (which is best placement) but in nich rashi makar and for example Chandra in 8 th house(bad placement) but in Uchcha say Vrishabh. How can we predict the power of grahas . i.e. Placement is more important or by house or by rashi.

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:37 pm

Wonder if you have registered in the Vedic astrology course? I f you did not, please do so.

Secondly, the avasthas of planets are not yet covered yet in the course. Therefore it is beyond the present perview of the course.

It seems you did not even read the grahas chapter yet.

But your question is still a good one.

Follow the course.

In short, we haven't yet come to come to the power of grahas factor.

The avasthas are a quality, the powers being different.

Regarding placement we should wait for the chapter to arrive. We would not like to confuse you and others by jumping chapters.

Best of luck.

Patience! Learn better with the help of patience.

RishiRahul

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:59 pm

prakrit03 wrote:Thank you verymuch Vivekji for answering. As this is a lesson of Grahas I want to know if the grah well placed but in nich rashi or balyavastha or mrityuavastha how does in predicted if  say Guru in 4th house (which is best placement) but in nich rashi makar and for example Chandra in 8 th house(bad placement) but in Uchcha say Vrishabh. How can we predict the power of grahas . i.e. Placement is more important or by house or by rashi.
Namaskaar Prakrit,

Please join the course by sending an mail to the registration post of this forum,
This is because we are thinking of restricting this forum only to the registered members in the near future.

Any way, you have asked some questions and other learners may learn in the process of our answering them.
Raashi is the back drop or background and the Bhaava is particular area of life (and the emotion attached to that area). two different things alltoghether.
Have you thought as to why a particular Graha is exalted in a particular Raashi?
Take for example Chandra is exalted in vrishabha. Why is it so happy in Vrishabha?
Due you know that exaltation means the Grah is enjoying to the utmost in that Raashi, like we enjoy when we go for a picnic or vacation.
A Graha in its Moolatrikona Raashi is like it is in its office or work place. In the office it has responsibilities and respect of other collegues and junior. In a way it is enjoying there but not to the extent of exaltation.
A Graha in its own raashi is like it is in its home. and you know Home is where the heart is. But it is not that you are enjoying. It is just that at home you live life the way you want.
In exaltations the Nakshatras play a very important role.
Chandra is exalted in Rohini and do you know the story of Chandra and Rohini?  
Coming to your question,Now suppose you are enjoying yourself in a picnic but you are also constantly worried of your bad stomach will the picnic be fully enjoyable?
This is a very crude way of putting it but something that we all will remember always.
Here the setting is good but your thoughts and emotions dont match the setting (they are not congruent) and hence the picnic is spoiled.
Now in this case Chandra is also the lord of the tenth house.
it shows how you like to work. will this area also not suffer?
or will it?

Tell us.

vivek & RishiRahul.
Last edited by vivekvshetty on Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prakrit03

Post by prakrit03 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:34 am

Namaste Vivekji and RishiRahulji,
First of all thanks a lot for awesome and logical explanation of my question. Now I know how minor things affect the prediction. This is great and unimaginable. I want to learn and know more and more things about vedic astrology.
Forgive me if I jumped in the discussion without registration but the info on this website is so great and I couldnot resist myself from postings. I think I send a mail to registration form and Now I have joined this learning sessions. actually I was confused how to register for joing for the class which is running for so long.

rkirana

Re: PDF of the Lesson

Post by rkirana » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:52 am

vivekvshetty wrote:Since the lesson is quiet Comprehensive i am attaching a pdf file of the same for learner to access it ofline by downloading it and unrar it.
Can you re-upload the pdf?

Thanks
Kiran
Kirana

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:40 am

prakrit03 wrote:Namaste Vivekji and RishiRahulji,
First of all thanks a lot for awesome and logical explanation of my question. Now I know how minor things affect the prediction. This is great and unimaginable. I want to learn and know more and more things about vedic astrology.
Forgive me if I jumped in the discussion without registration but the info on this website is so great and I couldnot resist myself from postings. I think I send a mail to registration form and Now I have joined this learning sessions. actually I was confused how to register for joing for the class which is running for so long.

Welcome to the learning forum Prakrit. Now an answer of the question posed by us about 10th moon exalted in the 8th. house to start with will be greaWe are going slow on the sudy material as we feel that you all aught to be strong in fundamentals and it should become ABC.

Vivek and RishiRahul

vivekvshetty

Re: PDF of the Lesson

Post by vivekvshetty » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:33 pm

rkirana wrote:
vivekvshetty wrote:Since the lesson is quiet Comprehensive i am attaching a pdf file of the same for learner to access it ofline by downloading it and unrar it.
Can you re-upload the pdf?

Thanks
Kiran
Namaskaar Kiran,
Since you are interested in learning Jyotish why dont you register to the course by sending a request post to this link.
http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=28361

Then you may ask queries and clarifications.
coming to the Pdf file, it is not deleted, just click on download.
Or  click on this link:
http://mysticboard.org/do ... hp?id=1552

this should hopefully download the file.

The file is in to be unrared (use winrar or maybe even winzip) as it is zipped in .rar format.

Rishirahul and vivek.

rkirana

Answers to exercise and queries. Pls. check

Post by rkirana » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:32 am

My date of birth: 09-Jan-1981
Time of birth: 18:47
Place of birth: PUttur, Karnataka
Latitude/Longitude: 12.45 N, 75.1 E

Identification of Sign that each planet is in:
-----------------------------------------------
lagna in karka
rahu in karka
shani and guru are in kanya
shukra and ravi are in dhanus
Ketu, Bhudha, Kuja are in Makara
Chandra is in Kumbha

Is planet in its own sign
No planet is in its own sign

Is planet in moolatrikona
No planet is in moolatrikona sign

Is planet in exaltation sign
Kuja is in makara (exaltation sign)

Is planet in debilitation sign
No planet is in debilitation sign

Sign and degree placement of each planet
I used the Jaganatha Hora software and got the following
Lagna 2Cn48'
Sun 25Sg37
Moon 5Aq36
Mars 13Cp58
Mercury 1Cp14
Jupiter 16Vi26
Venus 4Sg125
Saturn 16Vi07
Rahu 18Cn28
Ketu 18Cp28

I have attached my horoscope as per the Jagannatha Hora software

I have a few questions:

1) Lord of 7th house (Makara) is SHani. How do I find if he is strong?

2) Venus (Shukra) is with Surya in Dhanus. How do I find if he is strong?

3) Surya is in 6th house with Shukra. How do I find if he is strong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kirana

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:21 am

Namashkar rkirana,

Good to know that you have uploaded the sjc software.

The are several methods of measuring planetary strength.

At the top left hand corner there is written:=- file - edit - modes - view etc etc.
Go below this top line, and you will come to=chakras - basics- strengths.

Go to 'strengths' to find the strengths of planets. There are many methods of measuring strengths.
'Shadbala' is the best method of finding overall strength of planets.

Different methods of measuring strengths are used for different purposes.

What did you get as the degree of lagna?

Hope this satisfies you? Do ask if you could not follow.

Vivek and RishiRahul

rkirana

Post by rkirana » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:46 pm

Thanks Rishiji and Vivekji,

I am confused.
I wanted to see the strength of following in my horoscope:
Surya, Shani and Shukra

Shadbala is showing Shani as 111%, Surya as 118% and SHukra as 106%. What do these numbers mean?
Transits show Sun as Death, Shukra as achievement under vedha from Rahu and Shani as Parama mitra. What do these mean?

I want to find strength of Shani, Surya and Shukra from my horoscope based on the planets lessons that I learned on exaltation, debilitation, own house etc. How do I find this out?

Thanks again to the learned gurus.
Jai Gurudev!!
Kirana

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”