Lesson 6. Kaaraka (Significator).

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:44 pm

Raman Deep Singh wrote:Dear Vivek and Rahul ji,
Thank you for replying and giving such a beautiful explanation.Though i have gone thru it but i think im gona need some more time to digest it fully .
;-) I am sorry for ambiguity of my second question.Actually what i meant was that:-
Do u think it is important to know the calculation or mathematic part for the assignment of partcular karaka to a planet in a
horoscope.You have only mentioned about assignment of Aatamakaraka to a planet i.e.the planet with highest degree is given status of Ak.
How to do it for about other karakas? I hope i have made myself clear.

Thanking You
Raman
Namaskaar Raman ji,
It is absolutly essential to be aware of the mathematics involved in Jyotish, we propose to deal with it seperately, but it may not be possible also, Jagannath alone knows.
We were thinking of giving the calculation of the Charakaaraka in a seperate lesson, but since everyone seems to be interested more in them we give the calculations below, in a nutshell.
The Graha with the highest Longitude in a sign (how far it has progressed in a sign) is the Aatmakaaraka,
the one with the second highest longitude will be the Amaatya Kaaraka,
Then comes the Bhraatru kaaraka, Maatru Kaaraka, Pitru Kaaraka, Putra kaaraka, Gnyaati Kaaraka and the Graha with the least longitude (Amsha) is the Daara kaaraka.
For Raahu the longitude will have to be counted in the reverse.

for example take the following longitudes in a birth chart:

Surya - PiK         12 Simh 14' 01.05"  
Chandra - BK        21 Meen 59' 37.86"
Mangala - PK         6 Tula 16' 20.36"  
Budha - MK          14 Simh 41' 59.21"
Guru - AmK          23 Simh 51' 27.03"
Sukra - AK          26 Mith 29' 21.57"  
Sani - DK            3 Kanya 33' 36.66"
Rahu - GK           25 Kark 32' 57.16"

Shukra is the Aatma Kaaraka because it has the highest longitude amongst the Grahas in any Raashi.
Same way for other chara kaarakas.
Raahu is placed in 25 degrees in Kark but if counted from the reverse (because He is always retrograde) it has travelled only 30 degrees minus 25 degrees = 5 degrees and hence has the Graha with the second least degrees in the Raashi and so he becomes the Chara Gnaati kaaraka.
we would advice becoming familiar with the Naisargika Kaarakatwa of the Grahas before going to learn Chara Kaarakatwa.
The list of the natural significations of the Grahas are endless and the more we get to know about it the more easy it is to read a Kundali.

RishiRahul and vivek.

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:13 am

Dear Vivek ji,
Thank you for replying and using a typical chart for an explanation ;-). I have asked this question twice but it got deleted on its own from the forum....
i m not sure how.But it is nice to see its reply from you.One more question ;-)as far as i remember Amaatya means motherless(or soemthng like this) doesnt it ??If yes, has it got any particular role to play in its naming or its significance.If No... then im sorry for this idiotic question. :-)

Thanking you
Raman

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:51 pm

Raman Deep Singh wrote:Dear Vivek ji,
Thank you for replying and using a typical chart for an explanation ;-). I have asked this question twice but it got deleted on its own from the forum....
i m not sure how.But it is nice to see its reply from you.One more question ;-)as far as i remember Amaatya means motherless(or soemthng like this) doesnt it ??If yes, has it got any particular role to play in its naming or its significance.If No... then im sorry for this idiotic question. :-)

Thanking you
Raman
Namaskaar Raman ji,
Amaatya means an Advisor or in olden times the cheif minister to the king. He is the second in command (the Aatma kaaraka is the King).
This shows the importance of the Amaatya Kaaraka in a horoscope, this also shows the importance of brushing up your Sanskrit.
RishiRahul and vivek.

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:57 pm

Namashkaar Ramanji,

Amaatya means "ministers, counsellors of a king, inmate of the same house, belonging to the same house or family, a companion (of a king) "', minister.

An explanation:Amatyakaraka
The graha obtaining the second highest longitude is called Amatyakaraka. It signifies the mind. Its role is that of a Minister who guides the king, the Atma. It is the Amatyakaraka who guides the destiny of the person towards attainment of the desires of the atma. It is the protector of the soul.

Where did you find the'motherless' expression?

In astrology means career.

No question during learning is idiotic. It is a learning process; unless it is intentionally made.

Vivek and RishiRahul
Last edited by RishiRahul on Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:43 pm

Dear Rishirahul and Vivek ji,
Thank you for replying to my question.And Rishi rahul ji it is nice to see you back to the academy.
Actually i have never learned Sanskrit :( never got chance to do so.Though i recently was thinking
to learn it though i have not got any major purpose to do with it but i just felt like that i should give it a go
if god and time permits.
Vivek ji and Rahul ji,I have read that meaning of word "Amaatya" from a book (or an e-Book) a while ago.
I dont remember the actual source but it was mentioned there that Amaataya means motherless or not from
the same mother(something like this only)But anyway thank you for guiding me.

Once again thank you.

Regards
Raman

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:01 pm

Namashkaar Ramanji,

I was always at the forum with Vivekji, and we are there together.

Thank you for being with us participating.

Vivek and RishiRahul

RajeevSharma

Post by RajeevSharma » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:38 pm

RishiRahul wrote:Namashkaar Ramanji,

I was always at the forum with Vivekji, and we are there together.

Thank you for being with us participating.

Vivek and RishiRahul
no doubt u guys are doing a great job, but rahul ji do u remember ur promise to me when i was very new to this forum... the promise of including me among ur first students whenever u start teaching ur personal methods of prediction.

regards

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:57 am

Namashkaar Rajeevji,

Since we have follow some rules in this forum to become a student, you could go to the learn Vedic Astrology forum; and then to sign up link.  Then sign up.

Follow the classes already taken place.... in the past, present and future, asking relevant questions whenver needed.

However the link to it is given below:

http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=28361

Good luck,
Vivek and RishiRahul

kumar69

Sa as AK

Post by kumar69 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:34 am

Vivekji Rishirahulji

I understand thar AK is an important planet in the horoscope and any thing related to soul should be seen from this. It also plays an important role in the longterm directions and goals in ones life and how it is aligned with the supreme intelligence and his agenda.(pl correct me)
  In a chart the AK is saturn placed in Pisces (Asc - Scorpio - D-1) in Aquarius navamsa(D-9)(Sa is strong).(Sa is in the 8th house in the D-9)
  What is its(Sa as AKs) agenda? Which direction is the soul moving or where is it intended to move.
  What feelings does the native expect in the material plane??- Suffering as the AK will direct the soul towards cleanising the karma.??
  Pl clear my confusion.

regards

vivekvshetty

Re: Sa as AK

Post by vivekvshetty » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:24 pm

kumar69 wrote:Vivekji Rishirahulji

I understand thar AK is an important planet in the horoscope and any thing related to soul should be seen from this. It also plays an important role in the longterm directions and goals in ones life and how it is aligned with the supreme intelligence and his agenda.(pl correct me)
  In a chart the AK is saturn placed in Pisces (Asc - Scorpio - D-1) in Aquarius navamsa(D-9)(Sa is strong).(Sa is in the 8th house in the D-9)
  What is its(Sa as AKs) agenda? Which direction is the soul moving or where is it intended to move.
  What feelings does the native expect in the material plane??- Suffering as the AK will direct the soul towards cleanising the karma.??
  Pl clear my confusion.

regards
Namaskaar Kumar ji,
We still have to go into the details of interpreting the Aatmakaaraka (AK) or for that matter any chara kaaraka. We want to deal with the basics first and the Charakaaraka we feel is very much advanced Jyotish. We will come to it in the normal course of things, as per the plan of this series of lessons.
Till then let it suffice to say that the placement of the Lagna in D-9 from the AK and the graha which is the AK will tell us a great deal.

RishiRahul and vivek.

kumar69

karaka bava nasaya

Post by kumar69 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:20 pm

Dear Vivekji Rishirahulji

Will u please elaborate the dictum karaka bava nasaya and the corollary which states about the enhancement of the karakatwa if placed in the 12th from the asc.Suppose Ma the karaka for accidents and confinement for the 12th bhava if placed in the 12th bhava - what is the interpretation?

regards

vivekvshetty

Re: karaka bava nasaya

Post by vivekvshetty » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:02 pm

kumar69 wrote:Dear Vivekji Rishirahulji

Will u please elaborate the dictum karaka bava nasaya and the corollary which states about the enhancement of the karakatwa if placed in the 12th from the asc.Suppose Ma the karaka for accidents and confinement for the 12th bhava if placed in the 12th bhava - what is the interpretation?

regards
Namaskaar Kumar ji,
Thwe topic will be discussed at the proper time. Thank you for the suggestions. Right now if we take this up then the Beginners will be confused.
RishiRahul and vivek

deepakosho

Re: Fundamentals of Karaka.

Post by deepakosho » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:51 pm

Hello Vivek ji, Rahul ji and All,

May I request your permission to apply this analogy on Sri Rama's chart, Please forgive me for mistakes and help me correct them.

Marriage Life of Sri Rama:
--------------------------
vivekvshetty wrote: Bhaava from Lagna shows how you approach those various activities in life.
Exalted Mars in his seventh house. Even though Mars is an aggressive planet he is sitting in a happy state (exaltation). Plus Mars is a Yoga Karaka and functional benefic for Cancer Lagna Mars in 7th. The functional benefic nature should have reduced the natural malefic nature of Mars.

Hence Sri Rama is very protective (due to Mars being functional benefic instead of aggressive nature) and also very happy with his relations and spouse.
vivekvshetty wrote: Bhaava from Karaka shows how we experience various activities in life.
Venus, the Marriage Karaka is in the 9th house. From karaka the bhava falls as 11th. The marriage bhava becomes Karaka's 11th (Labha bhava). Venus is disposed in an exalted condition and the marriage creates a great friendship between Sri Rama and Sita.
vivekvshetty wrote: Bhaavesh from Kaaraka show how we experience various people in our life.
Here the bhaavesh falls in 8th from Karaka. The bhavesh is exalted and hence the spouse is also very happy with the marriage.
However since bhaavesh falls in the 8th the marriage had to suffer in terms of seperation (8th) between Rama and Sita.
vivekvshetty wrote: The Karaka-bhava, i.e. for Guru: ninth house/lord from Jupiter, or for relationships: seventh house/lord from Venus, show how that specific person is brought to your Mana/mind.
7th house from Karaka is Virgo. 7th lord from Karaka is Mercury.
I couldn't understand this point. Can you please shed some light on this?
vivekvshetty wrote: Finally Karaka itself shows the overall nature of ones experiences related to that karaka.
Karaka is exalted, Need I say more? :)

If this makes sense and is correct I would like to use the same analogy for Sri Rama's Dharma and Karma.

Om Tat Sat
Deepak

vivekvshetty

Re: Fundamentals of Karaka.

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:18 am

Namaskaar Deepak ji,
A very good attempt and also so accurate.
Our comments in Green.
deepakosho wrote:Hello Vivek ji, Rahul ji and All,

May I request your permission to apply this analogy on Sri Rama's chart, Please forgive me for mistakes and help me correct them.

Marriage Life of Sri Rama:
--------------------------
vivekvshetty wrote: Bhaava from Lagna shows how you approach those various activities in life.
Exalted Mars in his seventh house. Even though Mars is an aggressive planet he is sitting in a happy state (exaltation). Plus Mars is a Yoga Karaka and functional benefic for Cancer Lagna Mars in 7th. The functional benefic nature should have reduced the natural malefic nature of Mars.

Hence Sri Rama is very protective (due to Mars being functional benefic instead of aggressive nature) and also very happy with his relations and spouse.

Mangal in the seventh is Marana kAaraka Sthaana and hence we see Shri Raama's life lacking Physical felicity in Marriage (separation). The drishti of Guru is the saving feature. This Mangal shows fighting a War and Guru shows the victory with the help of Hanumaan (exalted mangal).
vivekvshetty wrote: Bhaava from Karaka shows how we experience various activities in life.
Venus, the Marriage Karaka is in the 9th house. From karaka the bhava falls as 11th. The marriage bhava becomes Karaka's 11th (Labha bhava). Venus is disposed in an exalted condition and the marriage creates a great friendship between Sri Rama and Sita.

Correct. But remember that eleventh also has many other significations.
vivekvshetty wrote: Bhaavesh from Kaaraka show how we experience various people in our life.
Here the bhaavesh falls in 8th from Karaka. The bhavesh is exalted and hence the spouse is also very happy with the marriage.
However since bhaavesh falls in the 8th the marriage had to suffer in terms of seperation (8th) between Rama and Sita.
See, Shani is the cause of Banishment from the kingdom and from Shukra it is in the eighth, this shows poverty. They had to live alife as Hremits during this time.
vivekvshetty wrote: The Karaka-bhava, i.e. for Guru: ninth house/lord from Jupiter, or for relationships: seventh house/lord from Venus, show how that specific person is brought to your Mana/mind.
7th house from Karaka is Virgo. 7th lord from Karaka is Mercury.
I couldn't understand this point. Can you please shed some light on this?

This shows the circumstances of meeting the spouse. Shri Raama is said to have won a competition and won it to be able to marry Siitaa maataa. Does this chart show this?
vivekvshetty wrote: Finally Karaka itself shows the overall nature of ones experiences related to that karaka.
Karaka is exalted, Need I say more? :)

Shukra is exalted in Meena in the ninth Bhaava (dharma). Raahu and Ketu cause Argala and virodha Argala respectively both are strong and so it is a tie. Does this cause bhandana yogaa?

If this makes sense and is correct I would like to use the same analogy for Sri Rama's Dharma and Karma.
We Await your post on this eagerly
Om Tat Sat
Deepak
RishiRahul and vivek

deepakosho

Post by deepakosho » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:10 pm

Vivekji and Rahulji,

Thanks for the reply. Going to the post,
vivekvshetty wrote:This shows the circumstances of meeting the spouse. Shri Raama is said to have won a competition and won it to be able to marry Siitaa maataa. Does this chart show this?
I knew that Mercury signifies sports and competition. And the event makes sense. But what ensured Sri Rama's success (Is it due to exalted Venus)?
vivekvshetty wrote:Shukra is exalted in Meena in the ninth Bhaava (dharma). Raahu and Ketu cause Argala and virodha Argala respectively both are strong and so it is a tie. Does this cause bhandana yogaa?
Wow.. this explains why Sri Rama's marriage went on and off. Looks like Ketu finally won.

I would like to dive into Sri Rama Dharma
------------------------------------------

Dharma Karaka: Jupiter

Exalted Jupiter in the Tanu Bhava:
Dharma is the prime motive in his life.

Exalted Venus in Dharma bhava:
a) He executed his dharma very happily (even when he had to undergo physical suffering of vanvas and mental suffering of Sita seperation). His exalted dharma bhavesh should have helped him keep his focus on dharma.
b) He created a new marriage dharma (eka patni vratha). ( I read this point from one of the astrology articles.)

Dharma bhavesh:
His Dharma bhavesh is also the dharma Karaka and Jupiter is exalted. He is very very happy executing his dharma.

Dharma is where his body is (bhavesh in lagna), Dharma is where his mind is (Jupiter with moon).

Dhristis
--------

Mars's 7th dhristi on Jupiter --> This should have given his desire on Veer Dharma.
Saturn's 10th dhristi on Jupiter -->

Saturn being Sorrow inflictor, Inflicts lot of sorrow on Rama's Dharma in terms of seperation from kingdom, seperation from wife.
Saturn (Sri Rama's wife - being his Marriage bhavesh) also has desire on Sri Rama's Dharma. And being exalted state, she is very happy on helping with his Dharma (even when seperated).

Question: Can I relate the bhavesh with the person? For e.g.) For Cancer Lagna - Saturn becomes the bhavesh, For Virgo - Jupiter becomes bhavesh, etc. In this regard can I call Sri Rama's wife Saturn? Please forgive me if this assumption is foolish.

Argala
-------

I didn't continue because I had a big doubt on Argala (I will go to the argala post and read it) but can you briefly tell me if the following points makes sense,
We can look at argala on dharma bhava (which will indicate the influence on his dharma)
We can look at argala on dharma bhavesh (which will indicate his physical experience with dharma)
We can look at argala on dharma Karaka (which will indicate his Mental experience with dharma)

I read somewhere that argala is only physical, so should I look at argala only on bhavesh? Please enlighten.

I will attempt Sri Rama's Karma in the next Post.

Om Tat Sat
Deepak

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”