Lesson 7. Argalas- the planetary interventions.

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:19 pm

Dear Vivek and Rahul ji,
I would like to appreciate kumar69 for this question which was also going on in my mind for a while but i wasnt
able to put it clearly.

What r aspects of a house we have to consider to find out about exact effect of an argala.
Will we have to consider all properties of 2nd,4th and 11th house from house in question.

Which aspects of the 2nd,4t and 11th house we dont hav to consider for getting the full interpretation.

Like for example 5th house also stands for paternal gandfather(9th from 9th and also stand for job break 8th from 10th)
can we some how also relate these aspects also while considering 5th house from 7th house .Coz in this case 5th gona be labhaargala i.e. 11th from 7th.

In simple words how to pick up properties of the house to be considered during Argala consideration ;-)

Hope i havent confused you by my confusing way of explaning my question.

Regards,
Raman

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:24 pm

TheSaint wrote:Greetings,

Looking at the Argala and Virodha caused by the 2nd and 12th house (please refer to chart below), on the Lagna here. This is the dhaanaargala.

Currently the native (that is me), is running Jupiter Dasa, Saturn Antar. This is important as Argala, like rashi/graha drishti are most relevant during their dasa periods (please correct me if I am wrong).

Jupiter (not combust) in 2nd in his own house is a shubhaaargala and a benefic and should help the native's health by providing good food. Sun in 2nd house in dhanus is happy, and even though a natural malefic, does not act as a papargala, as it is the Karak for the first house and a friend of Lagna Lord Mars. So it rigorously defends the Lagna.

Now for the obstruction, Saturn exalted in Libra, 12th causes obstruction. Saturn is also the AtmaKarak, hence has a major say. Saturn being exalted, provides rich food, but not necessarily healthy, because of its inimical nature towards Scorpio (Mars' house). Moon causes mixed results as it is badly placed and beneficial to Mars.

Now to find out who wins.

1. Both Rasis have equal number of planets in them. Next step...
2. Between Dhanus and Libra, which receives more Rasi Drishti. Libra receives Rasi Drishti from 2 planets (Rahu & Venus). Dhanus receives none. So the obstruction wins. Suppose, there was a tie here too, we would have to check among the Lords of Sagittarius and Libra, the one occupying higher degrees is stronger.

Now, there could be an argument that both the rasis are equally strong. Its not ideal to see the argala provided by the Karaka of a house being obstructed by the AtmaKarak.  But, the bandhana yoga caused should not give harmful results to the extreme, because of the presence of natural benefics Jupiter and Moon. Bandhana Yoga caused only by malefics may give very harmful results.

Notice, that MokshaKarak Ketu is in Lagna. The Argala/Virodha on Ketu should be seen in the reverse. The argument for this is that Ketu is the only planet striving for Moksha.

Please confirm if these findings are on the right track.

I hope I have not annoyed anyone by showing an example using my own chart, I have done it only to try to show some unique combinations (AK, Karaka, Exalt., Own House, etc.,)

Karthikeyan
Namaskaar Karthikeyan ji,
Very good post, something that makes us very happy - not only for your contribution and participation but also for your lucid explanation.
Few points we would like to add.
Shani being exalted will surely dominate and the virodha argala is stronger.
Shani will obstruct the Dhanaargala and it is also a Bhandhana yoga as pointed out by you.
Will it not try to take the person away from the family?
Conjunction of the ninth and Badhak is also pointing to it.

Why would Shani give rich food? it will obstrut by preventing getting food on time.
Shani's being Aatmakaaraka has no bearing in judging the strength of the virodhaargala.

RishiRahul and vivek.

TheSaint

Post by TheSaint » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:34 am

Kumar ji and Raman ji:

To use Argala, Virodha, Aspects etc., I think that its best to first understand what you want to study and then see how Argala affects it. For instance, if you were interested in understanding the power a person will posses/enjoy, we would have to look at the Argala on Ghati Lagna (GL , not sure if this has been introduced yet) and its Karak Sun. Similarly for wealth, Hora Lagna and Karak Jupiter. For residence and property, 4th house. For children, 5th house, etc.,  This is how the concept was presented, atleast from what I have been reading everywhere. Hope it helps.

This would be better than just seeing how Argala affects the 1st, 2nd, 3rd... houses, and then trying to deduce what it means based on what the house signifies. Also, dasa and antar dasa need to be checked.

Karthikeyan

TheSaint

Post by TheSaint » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:46 am

Vivek ji:

I mentioned that Shani will contribute rich food because of it being in exaltation status. As you pointed out, it is a mistake because Shani should obstruct and delay while providing for food. However, I think its fair to say that if Shani is exalted or in friendly rasi in 2nd, it would provide food such that the native might over indulge and affect his health, rather than the food being impure.

Also, with respect to the separation from family, atleast this has not happened until now, however I could say that I am facing a stale mate caused by these opposition forces.

I understand now that the AK may have no bearing in strength for Argala, because if Saturn being AK was debilitated then the Argala could be considered stronger than the obstruction.

Thanks
Karthikeyan

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:17 pm

TheSaint wrote:Kumar ji and Raman ji:

To use Argala, Virodha, Aspects etc., I think that its best to first understand what you want to study and then see how Argala affects it. For instance, if you were interested in understanding the power a person will posses/enjoy, we would have to look at the Argala on Ghati Lagna (GL , not sure if this has been introduced yet) and its Karak Sun. Similarly for wealth, Hora Lagna and Karak Jupiter. For residence and property, 4th house. For children, 5th house, etc.,  This is how the concept was presented, atleast from what I have been reading everywhere. Hope it helps.

This would be better than just seeing how Argala affects the 1st, 2nd, 3rd... houses, and then trying to deduce what it means based on what the house signifies. Also, dasa and antar dasa need to be checked.

Karthikeyan
Namaskaar All,
We second that and kudos to Karthikeyan ji.
Some of the Things mentioned in the post have not been explored as of now and in due course we will study the various things mentioned by him.

RishiRahul and vivek.

balaji suresh

hi to rishi rahulji and vivekji

Post by balaji suresh » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:05 pm

under the  special argalas you have given nirbhaas argala.which means malefics more in number give argala if they are in third from a house in addition to virodhargala on 11th house from it.if that is the case then for example if 12th house has malefics(3)inaddition to a benefic then does that mean 10th house has nirbhaas argala on it.if that is the case does that mean that particular individual will have sucess after initial difficuties and hardships.correct me if i am wrong.

vivekvshetty

Re: hi to rishi rahulji and vivekji

Post by vivekvshetty » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:07 pm

Namaskaar Suresh ji,
How did you come to this conclusion?
The concept of Argalas is difficult to understand but once understanding dawns, the horoscope reveals a lot more than thought possible. Many dont apply this important tool maybe not comprehending its importance.  
Argalas are interventions by people, material or thing on the matters concerned to the Bhaava having Argala.
The third Argala is a special Argala and it is coming from the third  and hence also called paraakrama Argala. What is it about the 12th bhaava which can be said to give Paraakrama to the tenth?
in relation to professional issues the 12th Bhaava may show expenditure or long travels depending on the linkages of other factors in a Horoscope.
Think on these lines.
RishiRahul and vivek
balaji suresh wrote:under the  special argalas you have given nirbhaas argala.which means malefics more in number give argala if they are in third from a house in addition to virodhargala on 11th house from it.if that is the case then for example if 12th house has malefics(3)inaddition to a benefic then does that mean 10th house has nirbhaas argala on it.if that is the case does that mean that particular individual will have sucess after initial difficuties and hardships.correct me if i am wrong.

mysbcrs

Post by mysbcrs » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:53 pm

Dear Vivkeji/Rishiji,

Have just posted my request for registration. Apologies for this late human argala on your lesson on argala :)

After browsing thru the lesson, I have a few questions (though stated as my understanding which is but limited). Will be grateful if you could carify:

1. My understanding is that argala is an intervention to further/lock-in the effect of a bhava or a planet. Does this mean that  Shubha Argala on 6/8/12 and planets therein is bad for the native and paapa argala is beneficial (reversal of the effects on good houses)?

2. From the references to the number of grahas causing argala, it appears that argala is quantitative (more to do with numbers and strengths) and not qualitative. i.e, there is no difference between 4th house argala from Ju and Ve assuming they have equal shadbalas

3. When do they show their effect? Is it during the dasha/bhukti of the planet/ lord of Bhava who is subjected to argala or in the dasha/bhukti of planets/lord of bhavas causing argala?

4. Are argalas valid in divisional charts?

5. Is there any argala based on transit positions?

6. Does argala caused by 4th gets cancelled by virodargala from 12th, assuming there is no argala from 2nd and no vorodargala from 10th?

CRS
CRS

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:00 pm

Namaskaar CRS ji,
Our reply below in green
mysbcrs wrote:Dear Vivkeji/Rishiji,

Have just posted my request for registration. Apologies for this late human argala on your lesson on argala :)

After browsing thru the lesson, I have a few questions (though stated as my understanding which is but limited). Will be grateful if you could carify:

1. My understanding is that argala is an intervention to further/lock-in the effect of a bhava or a planet. Does this mean that  Shubha Argala on 6/8/12 and planets therein is bad for the native and paapa argala is beneficial (reversal of the effects on good houses)?
Argalas do not alter the result of a Bhaava, they just add the extraneous factor to it. Nothing in this life is fully independent. Different areas of life do influence other areas and are in turn affected by them. Seventh is marriage and sixth is service. A happy marital life will help the person work much better and give better performance on the job front. A good spouse will stand shoulder to shoulder in situations were enemies are bothering. thus Argalas have to be judged.

2. From the references to the number of grahas causing argala, it appears that argala is quantitative (more to do with numbers and strengths) and not qualitative. i.e, there is no difference between 4th house argala from Ju and Ve assuming they have equal shadbalas
Yes you are right but, there will be some difference due to the nature of the two Grahas.

3. When do they show their effect? Is it during the dasha/bhukti of the planet/ lord of Bhava who is subjected to argala or in the dasha/bhukti of planets/lord of bhavas causing argala?
This we will deal when we come to the Dashaa lessons.
4. Are argalas valid in divisional charts?
Yes we think they are.
5. Is there any argala based on transit positions?
we would not think so. It is a fresh approach and worth trying once we are fairly advanced in our Jyotish Knowledge and know what we are doing.

6. Does argala caused by 4th gets cancelled by virodargala from 12th, assuming there is no argala from 2nd and no vorodargala from 10th?
If you really understood the equidistance concept inherent in the Argalas and Virodhargalas you would not be asking this.
CRS
RishiRahul and vivek.

mysbcrs

Post by mysbcrs » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:03 am

Thanks Vivekji,

I think two of my questions were incorrectly stated by me. I have restated it. Request you to clarify:

1. Is argala on 6th helpful to the native or reinforce the effect of 6th? What is the difference in effect of shbhargala and papargala on 6th as against for e.g, 4th?

2. If there are no planets in 2nd but 12th has planets, is the virodargala has any effect?

Thanks
CRS
CRS

gaonkarswapnil

Post by gaonkarswapnil » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:25 pm

Namashkaar Vivek ji and Rishi ji

Would like to present my views on argala wrt to 8th house as the question was raised, with my limited understanding here below is my understanding :

8 th house is house of Debts it has argala of 9th dhana  11th sukha  and 6th laabha

As 9th is house of dharma it will reduce our debts if we follow the right path will give sukha in terms of gains ( May be as debts are reduced it will indirectly increase gains) and last the laabha argala will do the fact that it will help to over come enimies or will make jataka a dutiful service man

And if we consider the virodha argala 12th , 10th , 3rd

3rd is a special one (Parakrama argala)  so if we consider it wrt 8th it happens to be 10th which says that if our karma is right there will be no debts in life , Now 10th from 8th happens to be 5th which shows our next life can carry forward our debts and last 12th from 8th happens to be 7th which is maraka if debts are too much it can cause death.

If my approach is right in this case i will try to understand to figure out different aspects for each house like say 4th house as it shows house , mother , car & bikes etc.

Will also try to use seconday argalas later as i get basic understanding of primary ones.

Pardon me if i am wrong.

Regards

Swapnil
Swapnil from mumbai looking for future

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:42 am

Namaskaar Swapnil ji,
Great answers and your understanding of Argalas is on the right track.
Remember that virodhaargala gets activated only if there is Argala on the Bhaava. Example : If there are grahas in the second from any Bhaava then only a graha in the 12th from it will cause virodha.
Equal amount of Grhas in the Argala Causing Bhaava and the Virodhaargala causing bhaava, then it causes Bhandhana yoga (bondage). If both of these are malefics then it is bad.

RishiRahul and vivek.
gaonkarswapnil wrote:Namashkaar Vivek ji and Rishi ji

Would like to present my views on argala wrt to 8th house as the question was raised, with my limited understanding here below is my understanding :

8 th house is house of Debts it has argala of 9th dhana  11th sukha  and 6th laabha

As 9th is house of dharma it will reduce our debts if we follow the right path will give sukha in terms of gains ( May be as debts are reduced it will indirectly increase gains) and last the laabha argala will do the fact that it will help to over come enimies or will make jataka a dutiful service man

And if we consider the virodha argala 12th , 10th , 3rd

3rd is a special one (Parakrama argala)  so if we consider it wrt 8th it happens to be 10th which says that if our karma is right there will be no debts in life , Now 10th from 8th happens to be 5th which shows our next life can carry forward our debts and last 12th from 8th happens to be 7th which is maraka if debts are too much it can cause death.

If my approach is right in this case i will try to understand to figure out different aspects for each house like say 4th house as it shows house , mother , car & bikes etc.

Will also try to use seconday argalas later as i get basic understanding of primary ones.

Pardon me if i am wrong.

Regards

Swapnil

gaonkarswapnil

Post by gaonkarswapnil » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:38 am

Namshkaar Vivek ji and Rishi ji,

Would like to put my view about argala on 6th house if we consider it as house of service, it will have argala on 7, 9 and 4

7th - house of jataka approach will have impact on service if it is good sure planets there will help and vice versa

9th - In this case it will govern the boss as we all know if a person is serviceman he will have a boss

4th - Here it will decide the comforts gains from service

Virodha argala will be from 8, 3 and 5

8th - It will be parakrama argala it is also house of retirement as it is 11th from 10th extra efforts in work can make the person think to retire early.

5th - It governs juniors a bad junior is always bad for his senior

3rd - Please help me on this as i am not able to relate it with 6th.

Regards

Swapnil
Swapnil from mumbai looking for future

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”