Lesson 7. Argalas- the planetary interventions.

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

vivekvshetty

Lesson 7. Argalas- the planetary interventions.

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:29 pm

Argalas – the planetary interventions.
From Cologne Digital Sanskrit Lexicon:
argala: A wooden bolt or pin for fastening a door or the cover of a vessel, a bar , check , impediment ; a wave. Or Name of a hell in Padma Puraana.

Argala means a bolt or lock or an intervention. In Jyotish it means an intervention by a Raashi, the Bhaava in the Raashi and Grahas if any in that Raashi will intervene or influence another Raashi, the Bhaava in the Raashi and the Grahas if any in the Raashi. Again these interventions can be blocked by other Raashis (also the Bhaava in the Raashi and the grahas therein) these obstructions are called Virodhargala.

As a real life example:
Suppose I want to keep cash in my wallet, this is only possible when I withdraw it from my savings.
The cash in my wallet will be influenced by my savings, then again the amount of cash that I spend from it will decrease my cash. So my savings intervenes (Argala) in my day to day affairs and the saving in turn is influenced by my spending habit (Virodhargala).
Thus we see how each house influences and intervenes in the affairs of other houses, nothing works in isoloation in real life as well as in Jyotish.

Argalas are of two types benefic and malefic, called Subhargala and Paapargala.
Benefics planets (Subha Graha) cause Subhargala and Malefic Planets (Paapa Grahas) cause Paapargala.

There are three categories of Argalas:
1. Primary Argala.
2. Special Argala (Some call it Nirabhasa Argala other call this Vipareeta Argala).
3. Secondary Argala.
There are two kinds of Virodhargalas.
1. Primary virodhargala.
2. Secondary Virodhargala.
We will deal each one of them:
The Primary Argala and Primary Virodhargala.
Primary Argala are influences or supports that are instantly or grossly felt, Primary Virodhargala are obstructions that we are aware of instantly and grossly.
From a particular Bhaava, Raashi or Graha, the 4th, 2nd and 11th Raashi (with the Bhaava and Graha in it) cause of primary Argala .
These Argalas are obstructed by the 10th, 12th and the 3rd Raashi respectively.
This means that the Argala of the 4th Raashi is obstructed by the 10th Raashi from the Bhaaava, the Argala from the 2nd is obstructed by the 12th and from the 11th by the 3rd.
The fourth Bhaava Argala is technically called the Sukhargala. Sukh means happiness. So you can understand that this Argala intervenes in the Happiness of a particular Bhaava or Graha. The Sukha argala is obstructed by the 10th.
What this means is that the fourth from any house is the house of rest, the home and the tenth from any house is the place of work for that house, it is the place where rest is not the priority. Home and office oppose each other (except for the few lucky ones who work from home!)
The second Bhaava argala is called the Dhana argala, Dhana means Money or resources, so the second from any Bhaava or Graha intervenes either beneficially or otherwise by influencing the resources available for that Bhaava. The Dhana aargala is obstructed by the 12th Bhaava from the Bhaava under focus.
Well, we all know how much our savings are related to our expenses. The second from any Bhaava or Graha shows the amount of resources available to it and the twelfth form that particular Bhaava or Graha shows its expenses and losses.

The eleventh Bhaava or Graha Argala from a Particular Bhaava or Graha is called Laabh Argala. Laabh means Profit or gain and this is obstructed by the Bhaava or Graha in the Third.
Amongst other things the eleventh Bhaava from any particular Bhaava or Graha shows the gains or profit of that particular Bhaava. Whereas the third from the Particular Bhaava or Graha is the house of courage or daring (carried to the extreme it is recklessness) is required to profit. Remember no risk-no gain.
That is why the Third house from a particular Bhaava or Graha falls under a special category of Argala.

Special Argala:
Malefics in the Third from a particular bhaava or Graha cause Argala on their own in addition to obstructing the Argala of the eleventh from that particular bahaava or Graha. This argala is not obstructed by any bhaavas.
Remember only if the third from a particular Bhaava or Graha is occupied by malefics (some say more than two malefics) is this Argala caused, if there are benefics as well as malefics then the malefics should be more in number and strong.
It is called as Niraabhaasa Argala by some and Vipereeta Argala by others. This shows that initially the objective is obstructed but later it is achieved due to Paraakrama (extra effort or courage) on part of the Jaatak (native).
So even though it is a Paapargala it is still a positive thing as it shows that extra push and drives necessary to achieve the goal.
Special Argala is also caused by the planets/sign in the 7th house. This is obstructed by the planet/sign in the Lagna r first house.

Secondary Argala and Virodhargala:
The fifth from a particular Bhaava or Graha in the Horoscope cause Argala to that particular Bhaava or Graha.
This is obstructed by the ninth from that particular Bhaava or Graha.
This is a secondary influence and not easily felt or noticed and only with time are these noticed.
In a way we all know that the future (our projections and estimates) always subtly influence us to the extent of intervening on our present circumstances and the Future is always obstructed or otherwise by the past.  
Other even less secondary Argala is of the eight bhaava from a particular Bhaava or Graha and this is obstructed by the sixth Bhaava from the particular Bhaava or Graha.

Special rule for Ketu:

Maharishi Jaimini in Upadesa Sutra gives the dictum.
“Vipereetam Ketuh”
There is a special way of finding Argalas from Ketu. To see Argalas from Ketu we have to reverse the order.
The houses which cause Argalas to other Grahas or Bhaavas will cause Virodhargala to Ketu, i.e. the 2nd, 4th and the 11th cause virodhargala and the 12th, 10th and the 3rd cause Argala on it.
In addition the 11th house causes special Argala if occupied by malefics.
So also the secondary Argalas be reversed.

We will illustrate this concept with a Horoscope in the next post on this topic. Till then try to soak it in.
RishiRahul and vivek.

rkirana

Post by rkirana » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:24 pm

Dear Guruji,

How do we rank Argala in strength wrt to our prior learnings on planetary strength (own house/exaltation/friend's house)?

Suppose there is papaargala of Shani on Guru on his own house/exaltation/friend's house? (just a wild example)
Which is stronger?

Also how is argala when compared to graha drishti and rasi drishti.

Thanks for another excellent lesson -
Jai Gurudev
Thanks
Kiran

rkirana

Application of Argala: a query

Post by rkirana » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:18 pm

Tried the argala exercise on my own horoscope that I have attached.

Consider the 3rd house Kanya having Jupiter and Saturn.

Rashis having argala on 3rd house are rashis Thula, Dhanus, Makara and Karka being the 2nd, 4th, 5th and 11th respectively.

Now: by functional nature, the argala on Jupiter/Saturn in Kanya can be classified as:

1) Paapargala by Sun (who is natural malefic and functional neutral)
2) Paapargala by Venus (who is functional malefic)
3) Subhaargala by Mars (who is natural malefic and functional benefic)
4) Paapargala by Mercury (Who is functional malefic)
5) Paapargala by Rahu and Ketu

Who has the strongest argala on Jupiter and Saturn here?
Will the shubaargala by Mars (3 above win) or will Paapargala by Sun (king of solar system win)

Looking forward to your help.
Pls. correct my mistake if I am wrong.
Jai Gurudev
Thanks
Kiran
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:21 pm

rkirana wrote:Dear Guruji,

How do we rank Argala in strength wrt to our prior learnings on planetary strength (own house/exaltation/friend's house)?

Suppose there is papaargala of Shani on Guru on his own house/exaltation/friend's house? (just a wild example)
Which is stronger?

Also how is argala when compared to graha drishti and rasi drishti.

Thanks for another excellent lesson -
Jai Gurudev
Thanks
Kiran
Namaskaar Kiran ji,
Please refrain from calling us Guruji, this is a heartfelt request as we don’t want to mislead any of our co-learners here. We are, as we stated right at the beginning of this course only learners, all of us. So let us not start an incorrect precedent for others to follow. We hope you understand our feelings. Gurus there are many, Learners there are few.  

Coming to your very pertinent query,
Each Argala has to be judged w.r.t it’s Virodhargala, which means we have to judge whether the Argala is stronger or the Virodhargala is stronger. This shows us which will prevail.
To judge this we see
A) Which Raashi has more Grahas.
B) If there are equal numbers of planets, then we judge as per which Raashis have Grahas which are stronger, by virtue of being placed in exaltation, Moolatrikona, own sign etc.  
C) If we find the strength to be still equal then we take the stronger to be the one with Grahas progressed more in the Raashi in their longitudes.

So we see that the strength of the Argala is judged with reference to its Virodhargala place and the Graha/ Bhaava on which the Argala is formed has nothing to do with it. What this means is that, even if guru is Uccha (exalted), if there is Argala of Shani on it then the Argala will show its result.

Also how is argala when compared to graha drishti and rasi drishti.?
The concept of Argalas and Dristhi (Aspects) are two different things altoghether.
To get a clearer idea of this let me give you an illustration.
Take the first house for example.
Even if there are no planets in the second Bhaava from it still the bhaava will intervene in the affairs of the Lagna, Just as we have to eat to keep our body (Lagna) intact. Since there are no Grahas in the Bhaava therefore the Raashi in the second Bhaava becomes more important. If it is a Raashi owned by Malefic Graha then it is a paapargala and your food habits get affected, or you may not get proper nutrition.
Suppose in the above situation there is a graha in the 12th Bhaava.
If it is a subha (benefic) Graha then it will obstruct this Paapargala and try to give ample rest to the body.
If there is a papa (malefic) Graha then it will also not give proper rest.

Another point to be noted is that when there are Argala and Virodhargala equal in strength then it may cause Bandhana yoga (combination for imprisonment, isolation or bondage).
Also if the Grahas causing the Argala and Virodhargala are of opposite nature then the intervention is not at all good and will cause problems.

Hope this makes this difficult and one of the most basic, important and the most overlooked concept of Jyotish into a clearer focus.

RishiRahul and vivek.

vivekvshetty

Re: Application of Argala: a query

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:15 pm

rkirana wrote:Tried the argala exercise on my own horoscope that I have attached.

Consider the 3rd house Kanya having Jupiter and Saturn.

Rashis having argala on 3rd house are rashis Thula, Dhanus, Makara and Karka being the 2nd, 4th, 5th and 11th respectively.

Now: by functional nature, the argala on Jupiter/Saturn in Kanya can be classified as:

1) Paapargala by Sun (who is natural malefic and functional neutral)
2) Paapargala by Venus (who is functional malefic)
3) Subhaargala by Mars (who is natural malefic and functional benefic)
4) Paapargala by Mercury (Who is functional malefic)
5) Paapargala by Rahu and Ketu

Who has the strongest argala on Jupiter and Saturn here?
Will the shubaargala by Mars (3 above win) or will Paapargala by Sun (king of solar system win)

Looking forward to your help.
Pls. correct my mistake if I am wrong.
Jai Gurudev
Thanks
Kiran
Namaskaar Kiran ji,
First let us inform you of the double post which was deleted by us, hope you understand.
Secondly we were in a dilemma as to which chart to present as an illustration for the concept of Argalas. Thanks to you and your initiative the problem resolved itself.
First take the third house into account.
The third is the house of commuting, short distance travel (amongst the many other kaarakatwa of the fourth) as it is the 12th from the 4th Bhaava (the base or your home). The argalas will show up on this matter.
The fourth bhaava being the second from the 3rd represents the resources for this, we all know that the fourth Bhaava signifies Vehicle (if we did not know then we know now). This is a beneficial raashi, unoccupied and so it shows good resources like for example owning a car. The Virodh argala to this comes from the 2nd house, which has the regal Simha and unoccupied by Grahas. So your resources fro travels (short distance) can be hampered by government policies etc.
The fourth from the third is the sixth house, this is the Sukhargala place for the 3rd Bhaava, and from the prespective we are judging it means driver or other such utilities. The benefic Dhanu with Surya and Shukra cause Argala, the two planets are Malefic and Benefic respectively (Natural benefic/malefic), Shukra is not happy in the sixth house and Surya is giving Paapaargala, the Virodh argala to this is caused by Mithuna which is unoccupied and hence the Argala is stronger than the virodh argala.
The Laabh Argala is formed by raahu in the Lagna and we all know that daily travelling can be beneficial for our body (as going for a walk or jog or a pleasure drive) or can take a toll on our body, like commuting in public transport. Raahu there causes Paapa Argala so this is not a good intervention. This is unobstructed by the Third from the third (the fifth Bhaava) which shows co travellers.
There is no special argala because the Fifth (Third from the third is unoccupied).

RishiRahul and vivek.

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:52 am

Dear Vivek and Rahu ji,
One question for you.
While considering  short journey using ARGALA..

We will consider 3rd house(for short travel) then we will take 4th,6th and 1st house taking 2,4,11 house from 3rd house.
4th house will intervene by being a mean of vehicle(im going to look using very short perceptions as per my limited knowledge)
Then 6th house will be person driving the vehicle i.e. driver. What will be use of 1st house in taking short journety will it effect by being means of our fame or wealth or health during our journey. I think it shud be more of a catalyst for travelling this i have read in one of Sanjay Rath ji's article and it suits also coz 1st is 11th from 3rd thus shud give further reasons for travel...

I hope i am able to put my question in right manner.In short i mean what wil be use of 1st being 11th from 3rd in terms of short journey in D-1 using Argala.

Thanking You
Raman

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:45 pm

Raman Deep Singh wrote:Dear Vivek and Rahu ji,
One question for you.
While considering  short journey using ARGALA..

We will consider 3rd house(for short travel) then we will take 4th,6th and 1st house taking 2,4,11 house from 3rd house.
4th house will intervene by being a mean of vehicle(im going to look using very short perceptions as per my limited knowledge)
Then 6th house will be person driving the vehicle i.e. driver. What will be use of 1st house in taking short journety will it effect by being means of our fame or wealth or health during our journey. I think it shud be more of a catalyst for travelling this i have read in one of Sanjay Rath ji's article and it suits also coz 1st is 11th from 3rd thus shud give further reasons for travel...

I hope i am able to put my question in right manner.In short i mean what wil be use of 1st being 11th from 3rd in terms of short journey in D-1 using Argala.

Thanking You
Raman
Namaskaar Raman ji,
You are on the right track.
the eleventh Argala is called Laabhaargala, so the first house either gains in terms of health, fame andother matters related to the first Bhaava if it is a Subhaargala. Like for example going for a joy ride or even a morning jog.
If it is a Paapaargala then the native may suffer in terms of having to commute daily for work and this may take its toll on the health.
Argala is a very deep subject and something very difficult to understand. But once you get the hang of it, the chart starts revealing things which otherwise we would have missed. Argala show the interlink and the interdepent nature of all the Bhaavas. We start to understand that no event takes place in isolation but take place because of many factors contributing to it.
MAny have voiced in this forum or some where else that Argalas are an unnecessary interpolations. This is far from the actual truth and having an understanding of Argalas makes for more detailed predictions.

Rishi Rahul and vivek.

rajitha

Post by rajitha » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:06 pm

Vivekji,
  That was a great article on Argalas. Really informative but at the same time tough to understand the concept.

In Argalas, when there is a rashi with malefic ownership, for instance Aries, does that account to papargala?
Also, lets say, in Aries, Venus is posited.
What kind of an Argala is formed - bad (because of Aries) or good 'cos of Venus or mixed?

Also, if you could give us another example maybe taking your own chart of Kiran's chart, it would be greatly appreciated as this is a tough concept.

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:49 pm

rajitha wrote:Vivekji,
  That was a great article on Argalas. Really informative but at the same time tough to understand the concept.

In Argalas, when there is a rashi with malefic ownership, for instance Aries, does that account to papargala?
Also, lets say, in Aries, Venus is posited.
What kind of an Argala is formed - bad (because of Aries) or good 'cos of Venus or mixed?

Also, if you could give us another example maybe taking your own chart of Kiran's chart, it would be greatly appreciated as this is a tough concept.
Namaskaar Rajitha ji,
Argalas are indeed a tough nut to crack, but the kernel you get to savour afterwards is worth the effort.
The great doyen and commentator of the Jaimini upadesa sutra, Shri Iranganti Rangacharya ji has given many Raaja yogas on the basis of Argalas in his commentary.

When a Bhaava or Raashi is unoccupied then its intrinsic nature will decide whether it is a benefic intervention or a malefic one. If it is occupied then the Gragha/s wiil be the deciding factor.
A few examples will be given soon. Till the time why dont all of us try it on some charts here.

RishiRahul and vivek.

rajitha

Post by rajitha » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:27 pm

Thanks Vivekji.
It is indeed an interesting concept.

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:26 pm

Dear Vivek and Rahul ji,
I a making one more try to understand Argala better.
This time from point of view of marriage thus 7th house.

8th,10th and 5th houses are 2,4 and 11 from 7th house respectively.
Thus they will effect marriage happening or life as :-
(Again leme mention i am gonna use properties as per limited knowledge of mine)

1.5th house:- This is will act as a catayst for marriage hapening thus will motivate romantic feeling or feeling to have kids(thus maternal/paternal feelings)inside native and thus will motivate him to get maried.

2.10th house :- This will set natives's marriage into motion or in other words
will try to get person into mood to get marry thus being 10th house the native may get his/her spouse at work place or if paapargala then person may get frustrate in his professional life and thus force him to get marry .Also since this is house of action thus shubhargala may make person take an extra initiative to get marry and other way round in case of paapargala. Please do tell me what can be other effect of subhaargala on marriage from 10th house.

3.8th house :- This will be one of the basic reason for getting marry. Since 8th house also means opening. I feel this will mean an opportunities to get marry. Thus offers which may come for marriage in case of subhaargala.Or multiple travelling can obstruct marriage incase of paapargala.

I hope i havent gone very wrong in my understanding.Please do guide me in case of getting wrong or superfluous in my understanding.

Thanking You
Raman

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:16 pm

Raman Deep Singh wrote:Dear Vivek and Rahul ji,
I a making one more try to understand Argala better.
This time from point of view of marriage thus 7th house.

8th,10th and 5th houses are 2,4 and 11 from 7th house respectively.
Thus they will effect marriage happening or life as :-
(Again leme mention i am gonna use properties as per limited knowledge of mine)

1.5th house:- This is will act as a catayst for marriage hapening thus will motivate romantic feeling or feeling to have kids(thus maternal/paternal feelings)inside native and thus will motivate him to get maried.

2.10th house :- This will set natives's marriage into motion or in other words
will try to get person into mood to get marry thus being 10th house the native may get his/her spouse at work place or if paapargala then person may get frustrate in his professional life and thus force him to get marry .Also since this is house of action thus shubhargala may make person take an extra initiative to get marry and other way round in case of paapargala. Please do tell me what can be other effect of subhaargala on marriage from 10th house.

3.8th house :- This will be one of the basic reason for getting marry. Since 8th house also means opening. I feel this will mean an opportunities to get marry. Thus offers which may come for marriage in case of subhaargala.Or multiple travelling can obstruct marriage incase of paapargala.

I hope i havent gone very wrong in my understanding.Please do guide me in case of getting wrong or superfluous in my understanding.

Thanking You
Raman
Namaskaar Raman ji,
THe basic confusion is because we dont used the nomenclature of each Argala when applying them.
Secondly the Bhaava in focus is influenced by the Argalas on it and not the other way round.
Seventh Bhaava gets
Laabhaargala from the fifth Bhaava,  Childrens are the Gain from Marriage or relationship.
Eighth is Dhanaargala and hence Longevity is a great resource in married life and for a long and happy married life you have to have a healthy long life.
tenth is the Sukhaargala on the seventh Bhaava and the professional life is a strong factor in success of marriage, no one wishes to marry an unemployed person.

This we feel is the right way to apply Argalas.

Why dont you apply Argalas to the eighth Bhaava and post it in your reply?

RishiRahul and vivek.

TheSaint

Post by TheSaint » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:43 am

Greetings,

Looking at the Argala and Virodha caused by the 2nd and 12th house (please refer to chart below), on the Lagna here. This is the dhaanaargala.

Currently the native (that is me), is running Jupiter Dasa, Saturn Antar. This is important as Argala, like rashi/graha drishti are most relevant during their dasa periods (please correct me if I am wrong).

Jupiter (not combust) in 2nd in his own house is a shubhaaargala and a benefic and should help the native's health by providing good food. Sun in 2nd house in dhanus is happy, and even though a natural malefic, does not act as a papargala, as it is the Karak for the first house and a friend of Lagna Lord Mars. So it rigorously defends the Lagna.

Now for the obstruction, Saturn exalted in Libra, 12th causes obstruction. Saturn is also the AtmaKarak, hence has a major say. Saturn being exalted, provides rich food, but not necessarily healthy, because of its inimical nature towards Scorpio (Mars' house). Moon causes mixed results as it is badly placed and beneficial to Mars.

Now to find out who wins.

1. Both Rasis have equal number of planets in them. Next step...
2. Between Dhanus and Libra, which receives more Rasi Drishti. Libra receives Rasi Drishti from 2 planets (Rahu & Venus). Dhanus receives none. So the obstruction wins. Suppose, there was a tie here too, we would have to check among the Lords of Sagittarius and Libra, the one occupying higher degrees is stronger.

Now, there could be an argument that both the rasis are equally strong. Its not ideal to see the argala provided by the Karaka of a house being obstructed by the AtmaKarak.  But, the bandhana yoga caused should not give harmful results to the extreme, because of the presence of natural benefics Jupiter and Moon. Bandhana Yoga caused only by malefics may give very harmful results.

Notice, that MokshaKarak Ketu is in Lagna. The Argala/Virodha on Ketu should be seen in the reverse. The argument for this is that Ketu is the only planet striving for Moksha.

Please confirm if these findings are on the right track.

I hope I have not annoyed anyone by showing an example using my own chart, I have done it only to try to show some unique combinations (AK, Karaka, Exalt., Own House, etc.,)

Karthikeyan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:01 pm

Dear Vivek and Rahul ji,
Thank you for your nice and well explained reply.Surely i will try to explain Argala from 8th house point of view.I am really
grateful to you for your explanation about different names of argala houses to make work easier for me and much more logical also.

Thanking You
Raman

kumar69

Post by kumar69 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:32 pm

Rishiji, vivekji

Namaskar

Please clarify my doubts on the following

The bhava signifies many things in ones life. For example the fifth house will show future,children,fame,power etc.
Till now I have understood that the argala or the planetary intervention has a say in each of the matters. Planets according to their position in the 2nd,3rd(malefic),4th,5th,11th votes for the event to fructify and planets in 12th,3rd,4th,9th oppose to fructify the event.

1. Is the algala going to affect all the significations that the house shows. In case of the 5th house if one is having problem due to children will he also have problem due to power,fame and other things which the house signifies.
2. What is the difference between planets exerting papaargala and opposition.

regards

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”