Lesson 8--THE NAKSHATRAS

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

vivekvshetty

Re: Why is the Nakshatra occupied by Chandra Important?

Post by vivekvshetty » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:48 pm

Namaskaar Gemini ji,
It has been seven months since we posted this question. When we posted it we may have had a different answer to this, now we dont clearly recollect it. We are always learning and new understanding happens.
we have another answer to this and it is a one word answer
MIND.

RishiRahul and vivek.
gemini_gem wrote:
vivekvshetty wrote:The Nakshatra occupied by Chandra has a great say in Longevity, Marriage, Character and the mental makeup. Any ideas as to why?

RishiRahul and vivek.
Rishi Rahul ji and Vivek Shetty ji,
Looks like none of us learners has an idea about this. Would you please explain us why this is so.

Also, I have been thinking or the material reading I read has made me assume that there are 3 kinds of aproaches to jyotish - Moon Nakshatra based, Tithi based and Planetary positions based. Looks like that is not so and that each of those approaches have specific areas of application and also restricted in scope. Pls clear this to me.

Also, another question, but might not be related to this specific lesson - How to manually cast a raasi chart? Are there methods to manually cast amsa kundalis too?

Thanks,
Gemini.

vivekvshetty

Re: Why is the Nakshatra occupied by Chandra Important?

Post by vivekvshetty » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:14 pm

The answer to the other two questions.
Some may like to think of them as many different system but they are only part of a whole all these factor helps a Jyotish to read about different facets of the same thing called reality.
Let us give an example.
Seventh Bhaava in the raashi chart shows the Attitude of the native towards marriage or partnerships. The lord of the Bhaava shows how the intelligence works in these matters.
Shukra the kaaraka shows the way in which the native meets the spouse (the circumstances surrounding the same).
Tithi lord will show the main complain a spouse will have towards the native.
Upapada shows the giving that is required in the sacred bond.
Nakshatra shows the compatibility of the two so united in the sacred bond.
This is physical, mental, sexual, spiritual and Pranic.
Seventh Bhaava in Navaamsha shows the spouse.

So you see each aspect has specific usage and should be used only for knowing about the particular facet it shows.
Combining together all these gives us a composite picture and make us see a bit better in the darkness of the future.

As for the last part of your post all we can say is that few years back when computers were not there to help us calculate the horoscope we used to do it manually with the aid of a few books. the Ephemeris and a book of tables. The matter is beyond the scope of this course so please find a good book which teaches this.

The Divisional charts are derived from the Main Raashi chart. the method to derive the divisional charts will be given in the when they will be taught.

Hope this answer increases your appitite for more questions.

RishiRahul and vivek  

gemini_gem wrote: Rishi Rahul ji and Vivek Shetty ji,

Also, I have been thinking or the material reading I read has made me assume that there are 3 kinds of aproaches to jyotish - Moon Nakshatra based, Tithi based and Planetary positions based. Looks like that is not so and that each of those approaches have specific areas of application and also restricted in scope. Pls clear this to me.

Also, another question, but might not be related to this specific lesson - How to manually cast a raasi chart? Are there methods to manually cast amsa kundalis too?

Thanks,
Gemini.

vivekvshetty

A link!

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:46 am

Namaskaar Gemini ji,
A link to help you onwards.
http://www.archive.org/stream/manualofhinduast030716mbp

RishiRahul and vivek.

gemini_gem

Re: A link!

Post by gemini_gem » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:43 am

vivekvshetty wrote:Namaskaar Gemini ji,
A link to help you onwards.
http://www.archive.org/stream/manualofhinduast030716mbp

RishiRahul and vivek.
Namaskar Vivek ji and Rishi ji.
Thanks so much for the e-book. After reading your messages, I am feeling lot more encouraged having found teachers like you. I have gone through the contents of the and I feel the book will set me in proper direction.
vivekvshetty wrote:Some may like to think of them as many different system but they are only part of a whole all these factor helps a Jyotish to read about different facets of the same thing called reality.
Let us give an example.
Seventh Bhaava in the raashi chart shows the Attitude of the native towards marriage or partnerships. The lord of the Bhaava shows how the intelligence works in these matters.
Shukra the kaaraka shows the way in which the native meets the spouse (the circumstances surrounding the same).
Tithi lord will show the main complain a spouse will have towards the native.
Upapada shows the giving that is required in the sacred bond.
Nakshatra shows the compatibility of the two so united in the sacred bond.
This is physical, mental, sexual, spiritual and Pranic.
Seventh Bhaava in Navaamsha shows the spouse.

So you see each aspect has specific usage and should be used only for knowing about the particular facet it shows.
Combining together all these gives us a composite picture and make us see a bit better in the darkness of the future.
That was a nice example and gives good insight into what really is considered by a good astrologer in determining about a particular question from a horoscope. It also make me think that Astrology has answer to ALL the questions, if you really search for it.

I really liked the lessons about Planets, though I have just went briefly over the content. The way the so many number of properties attributed with a planet really makes me think the whole setup is running as person design and has answers for the seekers.

I should confess that, like a novice I estimated a 3 weeks of study of all the lessons to get a grasp. But after a first round of walk through of all the lessons, I feel 1-2years is optimal time to gain reasonable understanding on the subject. And the fact that the lessons have been running since 2 years confirms that.

Apologies if I have dumped too much. I was trying to convey what I felt....more like a feeling of excited novice.

That apart, if we can start a thread in this learning forum that deals with discussing things that cannot be classified into any of the lessons would be good.

I have accumalated some questions over last few months and I feel I will get them answered in this course or from the discussions that we have here.
1. Blood Groups is a very narrow classification of people. Does Astrology talk about this in some sense.
[Edited out a Q regarding ayanamsa]
3. Can Astrology tell whether two persons can meet by looking at their horoscopes?
4. I read medicinal Astrology is used in predicting problems to body organs, curing the ills etc. Similarly is there something known as Criminal Astrology? Can Astrology give more clues into investigating crimes?
5. Now, one Question like a critic. Hope its not taken in wrong sense. What purpose has Astrology served so far? And what is the true potential of Astrology in terms of its usefulness to mankind.

Thanks,
Gemini.

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:16 pm

Namaskaar Gemini ji,
Can you name the things which you feel cannot be classified into a lesson?
gemini_gem wrote: That apart, if we can start a thread in this learning forum that deals with discussing things that cannot be classified into any of the lessons would be good.
1.We know you are not asking if the kundali can show the blood group of the native. If you are then the answer is no. We dont know of any such research.
If you are asking if people can be classified into a few manageable categories, just for the sake of simplification and to make sense of this divine diversity, then the answer is yes.
there are many such classifications (Sun sign, Moon sign, Nakshatra, guna based and also as in aayurveda Dosha based.
But we feel the most basic classification are the Graha based. Nine grahas and nine types of categories people can be divided into. Even this classification is kept at the background while reading a chart and never explicitly used. Some times when it comes to deceiding which way a native will bend in a particular situation, this information becomes crucial.  
3.looking at two horoscopes we can tell the compatibility, the Runaanubhandha involved. Sometimes a Jyotish gets the feel (unexplainable, some call it intution we like to call it a feeling). If your question means taking two random horoscopes and predicting that they will/ will not meet. Then the answer should be a NO.
4.It may help and actually it should help. Specially the Prashna.
5.We want you to answer this first. You asked the question as a critic now answer as a student, You have enrolled in a Jyotish learning forum, why?

Rishirahul and vivek.
gemini_gem wrote:I have accumalated some questions over last few months and I feel I will get them answered in this course or from the discussions that we have here.
1. Blood Groups is a very narrow classification of people. Does Astrology talk about this in some sense.
[Edited out a Q regarding ayanamsa]
3. Can Astrology tell whether two persons can meet by looking at their horoscopes?
4. I read medicinal Astrology is used in predicting problems to body organs, curing the ills etc. Similarly is there something known as Criminal Astrology? Can Astrology give more clues into investigating crimes?
5. Now, one Question like a critic. Hope its not taken in wrong sense. What purpose has Astrology served so far? And what is the true potential of Astrology in terms of its usefulness to mankind.

Thanks,
Gemini.

gemini_gem

Post by gemini_gem » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:19 am

Like, this thread got hijacked by me, whereas it is actually Nakshatras lesson :)
Can you name the things which you feel cannot be classified into a lesson?
gemini_gem wrote: That apart, if we can start a thread in this learning forum that deals with discussing things that cannot be classified into any of the lessons would be good.
Yeah, it makes sense. The answer probably lies where medicine and astrology converge.
vivekvshetty wrote: 1.We know you are not asking if the kundali can show the blood group of the native. If you are then the answer is no. We dont know of any such research.
I was accidentally introduced to astrology (Kundali mismatch problem for my marriage, mine is mrigashira whereas my wife's is dhanishta). It created lot of troubles before my marriage. It was during that time that I went through a lot of material over the internet. During that course of time, I got attracted to Astrology, reading the debates on forums and reading some articles.
Moreover, at some point I was really convinced that the great rishis who developed this science cannot go wrong. Their power of intuition, the way they saw things and developed theories are unquestionable by people of our time. The only questionable part, though, would be how we interpret and apply them.
Somehow I started feeling I wan't to convince everybody that I know, that, Astrology is infact true. I somehow don't like it when Astrology illiterates rubbish this science.

The next thing is that my hobbies like chess, puzzle solving etc were replaced by Astrology study, which I realized later. This study gives me as much thrill as Chess and puzzle solving does to me.

Last, but not the least, I became more (compared to earlier) balanced person, in the sense that I started feeling that everything happens for a reason.  And also my belief in god has increased.

And the most important reason I registered to this forum is to learn more about myself...Where I come from, what I am doing and where I am going. And I believe Astrology has answers to it.
vivekvshetty wrote: 5.We want you to answer this first. You asked the question as a critic now answer as a student, You have enrolled in a Jyotish learning forum, why?

Thanks,
Gemini.

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:14 pm

Namaskaar Gemini ji,
Good reply and we dont think you have hijacked the topic of this thread but have instilled some Praana into it (A strong Shukra perhaps!).
But the question and an important one at that was asked by you and your reply did not try to address to it.
I quote:

Your reply was about you yourself whereas in the question you had asked of the usefulness of Jyotish or for that matter any divinatory science/art for the Mankind (really doubt if Man is a Kind creature).

RishiRahul and vivek.

gemini_gem

Post by gemini_gem » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:18 pm

Good reply and we dont think you have hijacked the topic of this thread but have instilled some Praana into it (A strong Shukra perhaps!).
But the question and an important one at that was asked by you and your reply did not try to address to it.
I quote:

Your reply was about you yourself whereas in the question you had asked of the usefulness of Jyotish or for that matter any divinatory science/art for the Mankind (really doubt if Man is a Kind creature).

RishiRahul and vivek.
Namaskar Vivek ji and Rahul ji,
I was actually answering the question as to why I registered into the forum and hence written all from my view.

Man is sure not a kind creature, more so these days. He is probably faring well not being kind (Kaliyuga tilts more towards not-so-kind ones perhaps).

And about my question, I am not really sure as to what the potential of Astrology is. It can answer things as simple as "When will I get married, "When will I go abroad" etc. But the seekers stop there. So it gives as much as the seeker seeks. So, one has to help himself and this divine Science is there to guide him. But again, how much one wants to get benefited by Astrology, is driven by situation one is in, when he refered to Astrology.

Overall, I feel Astrology gives a person hints about the situations he can be in, thereby giving him time to react. Only that much I can think about. And then I know prasna, medicinal Astrology, mundane Astrology can predict many things.

But in all the cases above, one is more willing to know the situation one can be in so that he/she can MANIPULATE himself, things around him/her to benefit him/her.

I am not able to see the connection about the ultimate use of Astrology. More like, when can one say that Astrology served its purpose (the bigger picture unlike when will I get married, am i destined abroad etc etc). Like if Medicine has cure to all ills, makes man immortal, Medicine has acheived its purpose. In a similar way, what its the ultimate potential/purpose of Astrology. If there is something like that, how much of it is acheived.

Thanks,
Gemini.

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:03 pm

Namaskaar Gemini ji,
Any Astrology is only as good as the Astrloger. many a people coming to the Jyotish come to her/ him as an individual. The jyotish is also seeing the Horoscope from an individualist view.
Its utility in this case is that it instils hope and lights a lamp in the heart of the querent and gives a very broad vision to the person. The very narrow vision is replaced by something more vast. This alone is a great service Jyotish can render in this world. Remember a jyotishi is an representative of The Sun and also is an advisor like Guru. This shift in perspective can change the picture seen by the querent of a particular situation bothering them. Then we can never forget the utility of remedial measures which makes Jyotish worthwile for the Jyotish and like a divine help for the querent.
Also remember that the world seen by the querent is hi/her world and changing the perspective of the world view is changing the world for him/her.  
Then there is the branch of Jyotish called Mundane Astrology. This is useful for the world if it is willing to take a note of it and try to find the true Jyotishas who are a master in this. For example there are still many Panchangas which give rainfall predictions for a particular region and which turns out much more accurate than the weather department. There are some Jyotishis who can predict rainfall to the day.
Vast Natural disasters are also predicted by Jyotishis and Govardan ji is  very good in this as all members of this forum are aware. Can this not be applied to save colossal loss of life?
What is the ultimate goal of Jyotish?
It is the same as the ultimate goal in every life.
It is to realize the TRUTH.
All start from the first bhaava and via the Sixth understand the seventh. and the return to the first via the Twelfth.
RishiRahul and vivek.
gemini_gem wrote: 5. Now, one Question like a critic. Hope its not taken in wrong sense. What purpose has Astrology served so far? And what is the true potential of Astrology in terms of its usefulness to mankind.

Namaskar Vivek ji and Rahul ji,
I was actually answering the question as to why I registered into the forum and hence written all from my view.

Man is sure not a kind creature, more so these days. He is probably faring well not being kind (Kaliyuga tilts more towards not-so-kind ones perhaps).

And about my question, I am not really sure as to what the potential of Astrology is. It can answer things as simple as "When will I get married, "When will I go abroad" etc. But the seekers stop there. So it gives as much as the seeker seeks. So, one has to help himself and this divine Science is there to guide him. But again, how much one wants to get benefited by Astrology, is driven by situation one is in, when he refered to Astrology.

Overall, I feel Astrology gives a person hints about the situations he can be in, thereby giving him time to react. Only that much I can think about. And then I know prasna, medicinal Astrology, mundane Astrology can predict many things.

But in all the cases above, one is more willing to know the situation one can be in so that he/she can MANIPULATE himself, things around him/her to benefit him/her.

I am not able to see the connection about the ultimate use of Astrology. More like, when can one say that Astrology served its purpose (the bigger picture unlike when will I get married, am i destined abroad etc etc). Like if Medicine has cure to all ills, makes man immortal, Medicine has acheived its purpose. In a similar way, what its the ultimate potential/purpose of Astrology. If there is something like that, how much of it is acheived.

Thanks,
Gemini.

prasanna

Post by prasanna » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:14 pm

Dear Geminij,=(quote) =Like if Medicine has cure to all ills, makes man immortal, Medicine has acheived its purpose. In a similar way, what its the ultimate potential/purpose of Astrology. If there is something like that, how much of it is acheived.

Can U  show   full  prof to ,  Medicine has cure to all ills, and makes man immortal , and medicine achieved its purpose? I dont  think so, sorry to argue with u , but I wont accept  your-views , still I  see  doctors   telling at a crucial  stage , only GOD  can save you, I think from this we can conclude , only our destiny plays a vital role, and we are predestined by GOD how long we are going to survive.  We all come with return tickets while at birth.  Let me continue after hearing from You.

Regards,
prasanna

LEAD, KINDLY LIGHT. LOVE IS GOD, LOVE IS OCEAN, " Love Is Eternal. " LIVE TO LOVE TO LIVE.

gemini_gem

Post by gemini_gem » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:39 pm

Namashkar Vivek ji and Rahul ji,
Your words perfectly answered my question. Guru lights the lamp for the Sishya and clears the Sishya's ignorance. Jyotish lights the lamp for the Querrent and shows the ray of hope giving broader picture of life. I am so stupid for forgetting this basic truth about Astrolgy, in spite of myself being a querrent till few months back.

I sure follow Govardhan ji's posts in the other forum and really appreciate his passion for the predictions he posts.

I would also like to remember Avam ji here who is super in his predictions regarding marriage. He makes sure that irrespective of what the charts say, he has good words for the Querrent.

Next, I would like to remember Astrobhaduria ji, who I feel has good knowledge of the subject and good intuition.

Last but not the least, I want to remember Rohini ji, for, he always makes sure the Jyotish's around here try and apply the subject to learn better instead of blindly believing or reproducing texts from various sources.

Finally, Thanks and My Best Regards to both of you for this discussion and also to Rhutobello ji for providing me this platform for interacting with you Teachers.

I'll move onto learning now with a confidence that I have a good guidance here and that I can become a good student in this Vidya.

Om Ganesaaya Namaha

Gemini.

gemini_gem

Post by gemini_gem » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:43 pm

prasanna wrote:Dear Geminij,=(quote) =Like if Medicine has cure to all ills, makes man immortal, Medicine has acheived its purpose. In a similar way, what its the ultimate potential/purpose of Astrology. If there is something like that, how much of it is acheived.

Can U  show   full  prof to ,  Medicine has cure to all ills, and makes man immortal , and medicine achieved its purpose? I dont  think so, sorry to argue with u , but I wont accept  your-views , still I  see  doctors   telling at a crucial  stage , only GOD  can save you, I think from this we can conclude , only our destiny plays a vital role, and we are predestined by GOD how long we are going to survive.  We all come with return tickets while at birth.  Let me continue after hearing from You.

Regards,
Dear Prasanna Ji,
You probably missed the IF. I meant / typed "IF Medicine has cure to all ills..."

Regards,
Gemini.

prasanna

Post by prasanna » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:53 pm

Dear Geminiji,

thanks for your reply,  I just  read   and  felt your   correct usage of your IF after posting my reply, sorry , now I understood and read your new post to our teachers. too. Yes we are all blessed  to be their students, and we have wonderful astrologers here as you have quoted  , Sri Govardhanji, Avamji, Rohiniji., Sandhuji, Rajeevji .Really now   I am feeling we are missing our  beloved Rohini Ranjandaji.  Let us learn more from them all.

Regards,
prasanna

LEAD, KINDLY LIGHT. LOVE IS GOD, LOVE IS OCEAN, " Love Is Eternal. " LIVE TO LOVE TO LIVE.

mysbcrs

Post by mysbcrs » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:40 pm

Dear Vivekji/Rishiji,

Sorry, as a late entrant, I have some questions. Hope you dont mind answering.

The characteristics of Nakshtras based on the stories narrated - Are they relevant only for Asc/Moon or also in respect of other planets. For e.g, if Ju is in Moola how do we use the story about Moola?

CRS
CRS

deepakosho

Post by deepakosho » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:25 pm

CRSji,

Nakshatra of Moon will have influence on mind

Nakshtra of Lagna will have influence on Dhi (Intelligence).

Nakshatra of other planets will have influence on the karakatava of the planet.

Om Tat Sat
Deepak
Last edited by deepakosho on Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”