Lesson 10- Benefics and Malefics (Functional and Natural)

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

rkirana

Re: I am sorry but you did not answer my question

Post by rkirana » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:31 pm

Vivekji,

I have two questions to your reply

Q1: What if a planet is natural malefic (NM) but functional benefic (FB)? Does being FB override being NM?
What if we consider Cancer lagna. Mars is a functional benefic for the Cancer lagna but a natural malefic. In such a case, how does it work?
Will Mars give effect of benefic/malefic?

Q2: How to arrive at %age beneficity/maleficity?
One more thing: FOr a house signification we have to look at house lord, planets in the house and planets aspecting the house (SAY).
Now the house lord maybe well placed, there maybe malefics aspecting the house as well posited in the house.
In this case, how to say what %age of results will be benefic/malefic?

Thanks
Kiran

vivekvshetty wrote:Kiana Ji,
Are you sure you got it right?
A funtional malefic is a malefic for a particular chart because it is the lord of a malefic Bhaava.
This malefic influence is carried to the Bhaava it is placed in and aspects, to the Grahas it conjoins and aspects.
Suppose Mangal in the fourth Bhaava for a Kanyaa lagna Jaataka- it is a funtional malefic and also a natural Malefic. Its placement in the fourth will effect all the significations of the fourth (except the kaarakatwa of landed properties).
Its Drishti on the tenth Bhaava will vitiate the professional atmosphere for the native. Its Drishti on the seventh will influence the Marital aspect in a negative way.  

Kirana Ji keep asking till you are satisfied with the reply, we dont mind -instead welcome it.
But remember we are not here to spoon feed but to trigger your own understanding, so most of the time a query from you may be answered by a counter question.
the pace of the course is slow because we want a solid grounding in the basics. For this we want participation from as many learners as possible. This will spur us on and keep us on our toes as well as enrich the course contents. This is sadly not the case here and except for a few, most of the learners are silent or not interested.
We want to keep the atmosphere here as informal as possible and hence we are not making answering the Questions posed at the end of each lesson compulsary. May be that is making learners complacent.
RishiRahul and vivek
rkirana wrote:Oh yes, I got it now:

So significance of a house results from the position of its lord as one of the many factors. If the house is a malefic, then a strong position of the lord can result in malefic occurences and vice versa for benefic houses.

Now, a particular house significations would be affected by the lord of the house, by the lords of other houses that are present in it or occupying in it.
How do we arrive at a benefic/malefic result derivation for the house then.

Rishiji and Vivekji, Pls. let us know

vivekvshetty wrote:
rkirana wrote:Rishiji and Vivekji

Pls. respond
rkirana wrote:Rishiji and Vivekji,

I am sorry - but I have not got an answer to my question.

I want to isolate effects on house due to house lord alone.
If house lord of a house is functional benefic, does it mean good things to the house from the house lord. If this is true it is vice-versa when we have functional malefics.

So in this case, is it good if dustana lords are functional malefics (so that they mean negative to significations of the dustana)?

My question is simple:
GIven that one of the signifcators of what a house signifies is the lord of the house, if the lord of the house is benefic (considering effects due to house lord alone), does it mean good for the house significations and vice versa?
Namaskaar Kiran ji,
You have turned the lesson topsy turvy.
The bhaava dictates whether the Lord is a Functional benefic or malefic. You are asking if it is the other way round.
The lord of a beneficial bhaava is a benefic for that chart and lord of a malefic bhaava is a malefic for that chart.

RishiRahul and vivek
Kirana

rkirana

Derived Significations

Post by rkirana » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:43 pm

If 2H (Wealth) lord is in the 11th house (gain), we predict gain of wealth.
Similarly loss of wealth if 2H Lord is in the 12th house.
11 and 12 H are obviously sitters.

Question 1:
What if it is reverse? Say 12 H Lord is in the 7 H. Can I predict loss of marriage or is it a strictly one way relationship (7H Lord in 12th).
Are 7th Lord in 12th and 12th lord in 7th meaning the same thing or not?

Question 2:
Real test comes when 2H Lord is in 6th house (enemy, injury, diseases, mental tension). Do I predict wealth from enemies, injuries, diseases and mental tension which is absurd?

Take this: 10H lord is in 7H say. Can I say profession from marriage/business partner/wife which is again absurd?

How to make sense of all this?

Regards
Kiran
Kirana

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:48 pm

Namaskaar Kirana ji,
The Graha will give both the effect.
Natural Benefic/malefic is forever and does not change. A benefic in a Bhaaava is a good placement for the Bhaaava. A malefic (natural) in a Bhaava is bad for the Bhaava.
Temporal Benefic/malefic has more to do with the relationship between the two Bhaavas so linked.
Example: Mangal is a natural malefic and its placement in any Bhaava will tend to spoil the significations of the Bhaava as all the signification of Mangal (refer to the Graha Lesson) will have to be borne by that Bhaava. Some Bhaava will wilt under such intense energy of Mangal (7th bhaava is the best example for this), Some Bhaavas welcome this (6th hous is the fighting poweress and Mangal's placement in it will naturally give power to overcome the bad side of the sixth Bhaava).
It is a functional benefic for Karka and its placement in any Bhaava is good as it will bring the blessings of the Tenth and the fifth Bhaava on the Bhaava it is placed.
If it is an auspicious Bhaava the the Tenth and the Fifth are also benefitted.
If it is placed in an inauspicious Bhaava the there is an linkage or relationship formed between the Bhaavas and here the Bhaavas of which Mangaal is the lord will suffer the effects of this bad placement.

Now suppose Mangal for Kark lagna Kundali is placed in the seventh in Makara, what would you surmise?

RishiRahul and vivek.

rkirana wrote:Vivekji,

Q1: What if a planet is natural malefic (NM) but functional benefic (FB)? Does being FB override being NM?
What if we consider Cancer lagna. Mars is a functional benefic for the Cancer lagna but a natural malefic. In such a case, how does it work?

One more thing: FOr a house signification we have to look at house lord, planets in the house and planets aspecting the house (SAY).
Now the house lord maybe well placed, there maybe malefics aspecting the house as well posited in the house.

Thanks
Kiran

A funtional malefic is a malefic for a particular chart because it is the lord of a malefic Bhaava.
This malefic influence is carried to the Bhaava it is placed in and aspects, to the Grahas it conjoins and aspects.
Suppose Mangal in the fourth Bhaava for a Kanyaa lagna Jaataka- it is a funtional malefic and also a natural Malefic. Its placement in the fourth will effect all the significations of the fourth (except the kaarakatwa of landed properties).
Its Drishti on the tenth Bhaava will vitiate the professional atmosphere for the native. Its Drishti on the seventh will influence the Marital aspect in a negative way.  

Kirana Ji keep asking till you are satisfied with the reply, we dont mind -instead welcome it.
But remember we are not here to spoon feed but to trigger your own understanding, so most of the time a query from you may be answered by a counter question.
the pace of the course is slow because we want a solid grounding in the basics. For this we want participation from as many learners as possible. This will spur us on and keep us on our toes as well as enrich the course contents. This is sadly not the case here and except for a few, most of the learners are silent or not interested.
We want to keep the atmosphere here as informal as possible and hence we are not making answering the Questions posed at the end of each lesson compulsary. May be that is making learners complacent.
RishiRahul and vivek

So significance of a house results from the position of its lord as one of the many factors. If the house is a malefic, then a strong position of the lord can result in malefic occurences and vice versa for benefic houses.

Now, a particular house significations would be affected by the lord of the house, by the lords of other houses that are present in it or occupying in it.

vivekvshetty wrote:

Pls. respond

If house lord of a house is functional benefic, does it mean good things to the house from the house lord. If this is true it is vice-versa when we have functional malefics.

So in this case, is it good if dustana lords are functional malefics (so that they mean negative to significations of the dustana)?

My question is simple:
GIven that one of the signifcators of what a house signifies is the lord of the house, if the lord of the house is benefic (considering effects due to house lord alone), does it mean good for the house significations and vice versa?
Namaskaar Kiran ji,
The bhaava dictates whether the Lord is a Functional benefic or malefic. You are asking if it is the other way round.
The lord of a beneficial bhaava is a benefic for that chart and lord of a malefic bhaava is a malefic for that chart.

RishiRahul and vivek

rkirana

Re: Derived Significations

Post by rkirana » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:34 pm

Vivekji and Rishiji,

Sorry for my incessant questions....Please answer my question below?

I am trying to come up with a set of rules in jyotish so that anyone can predict easily - like in a science.

I need your help in this endeavour.

Regards
Kiran

rkirana wrote:If 2H (Wealth) lord is in the 11th house (gain), we predict gain of wealth.
Similarly loss of wealth if 2H Lord is in the 12th house.
11 and 12 H are obviously sitters.

Question 1:
What if it is reverse? Say 12 H Lord is in the 7 H. Can I predict loss of marriage or is it a strictly one way relationship (7H Lord in 12th).
Are 7th Lord in 12th and 12th lord in 7th meaning the same thing or not?

Question 2:
Real test comes when 2H Lord is in 6th house (enemy, injury, diseases, mental tension). Do I predict wealth from enemies, injuries, diseases and mental tension which is absurd?

Take this: 10H lord is in 7H say. Can I say profession from marriage/business partner/wife which is again absurd?

How to make sense of all this?

Regards
Kiran
Kirana

rkirana

Post by rkirana » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:42 pm

7H signifies marriage/spouse/business partner and Mangal in 7th house
* being a natural malefic should spoil the signification of the 7H resulting in stormy spouse, frequent quarrels in marriage and fights with business partners

* But Mangal as lord of the 5th and 10th house for Karka lagna will bring Good effects of 5H like intelligence, knowledge and good effects of 10H like good profession and career into 7 H

So in effect we can predict
* Frequent quarrels with spouse and stormy marriage (due to Mangal a malefic in 7H)
* Good effects owing to Karka's yogakaraka mangal like intelligent and knowledgeable wife and wife with a good career

Am I right Rishiji and Vivekji?
I am trying to predict at every step because astrology is of practical use only if we can predict something
vivekvshetty wrote:Namaskaar Kirana ji,
Natural Benefic/malefic is forever and does not change. A benefic in a Bhaaava is a good placement for the Bhaaava. A malefic (natural) in a Bhaava is bad for the Bhaava.
Temporal Benefic/malefic has more to do with the relationship between the two Bhaavas so linked.
Example: Mangal is a natural malefic and its placement in any Bhaava will tend to spoil the significations of the Bhaava as all the signification of Mangal (refer to the Graha Lesson) will have to be borne by that Bhaava. Some Bhaava will wilt under such intense energy of Mangal (7th bhaava is the best example for this), Some Bhaavas welcome this (6th hous is the fighting poweress and Mangal's placement in it will naturally give power to overcome the bad side of the sixth Bhaava).
It is a functional benefic for Karka and its placement in any Bhaava is good as it will bring the blessings of the Tenth and the fifth Bhaava on the Bhaava it is placed.
If it is placed in an inauspicious Bhaava the there is an linkage or relationship formed between the Bhaavas and here the Bhaavas of which Mangaal is the lord will suffer the effects of this bad placement.

Now suppose Mangal for Kark lagna Kundali is placed in the seventh in Makara, what would you surmise?

RishiRahul and vivek.

Thanks
Kiran

RishiRahul and vivek

vivekvshetty wrote:

Pls. respond

My question is simple:
Namaskaar Kiran ji,

RishiRahul and vivek
Kirana

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:30 pm

Namaskaar Kirana ji,
You have almost got to predicting, Keep at it and sooner than later we will have you replying in the Astrology reading request section, guiding people.
Seventh is the house of Partners or it is the doorway to the world. Mangal a Brahmachari doesnt fit in there and so will cause forced celibacy.
The aspects and conjunctions will be deciding to a great extent the damage it can cause to the marital aspect in a natives life.
Tenth lord in the 7th and exalted means rise a bit late, but with the help of business partners and subordinates.
The fifth house is of future planning and it shows partners playing an important role in shaping the future as well as fortunate children. Usually a connection between the fifth and the seventh does not favor an arranged marriage.
Mangals aspect on the tenth is good as it will always favor its own house but as a natural malefic and Taamasik Graha.
The tenth shows the Bhaava as far as work is concerned. Mangal is heat and this tends to make the work environment Hot for others (collegues) to bear and to keep up with the natives pace of work.  
other factors will modify the effects.

RishiRahul and vivek.
rkirana wrote:7H signifies marriage/spouse/business partner and Mangal in 7th house
* being a natural malefic should spoil the signification of the 7H resulting in stormy spouse, frequent quarrels in marriage and fights with business partners

* But Mangal as lord of the 5th and 10th house for Karka lagna will bring Good effects of 5H like intelligence, knowledge and good effects of 10H like good profession and career into 7 H

So in effect we can predict
* Frequent quarrels with spouse and stormy marriage (due to Mangal a malefic in 7H)
* Good effects owing to Karka's yogakaraka mangal like intelligent and knowledgeable wife and wife with a good career

Am I right Rishiji and Vivekji?
I am trying to predict at every step because astrology is of practical use only if we can predict something
vivekvshetty wrote:Namaskaar Kirana ji,

RishiRahul and vivek.

Thanks
Kiran

RishiRahul and vivek

vivekvshetty wrote:

Pls. respond

My question is simple:
Namaskaar Kiran ji,

RishiRahul and vivek

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:23 am

Namashkaar Kiranji,

An important trait  in Astrology is the cultivation of patience. Surely double postings of the same question are not necessary, as surely we always answer you.

vivek and RishiRahul.

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:05 am

Dear Vivek ji and Rahul ji,
This is a wrong topic to ask this question but since vivek ji made a statement under this topic i thought of asking my question under this topic only so that it becomes easier for Vivek and Rishirahul ji to see that statement.
Vivek ji just made a statement in his last reply in this topic "Mangal is Brahmachari ". All these r very inherent and important characteristics of planets and it makes easier to decode and understand their behaviour in the bhavas and in conjunctions etc, wont it be great if you ALSO mention these basic characteristics in "Lesson 5. The Grahas (Planets)".

Also as it is said that every planet has 3 basic characteristics :- Saatwil, taamsik and Raajsik, wont it be possible for you to take time out of your busy schedule to characterise them under these (though they also depend on our preception)alongwith their basic characteristics.I do understand that it is time costing but that will be great for fellow students IF it is possible for you.

Also,does the properties/indications of bhavas in "Lesson 4. The Bhaava (Houses)"cover all of properties? They do cover the basic properties but i thought of asking same thing as i asked about planets. Every bhava do cover positive and negative aspect of life lfor example 8th house is considered to be Dushtana sthan thus house of negativity, death etc but also (on positive side) it is considered for study of occult science, Research etc.
So wont it be possible to give a (GENERAL) idea of positive and negative aspects of house. Though i do agree that they r endless to mention as we also consider them from different houses for example :- 5th house-> stands for chlildren also,is 9th from 9th(bhavat bhavam)thus stand for paternal grand father, also 8th from 10th thus for job joining etc.
Thats y i asked that please IF POSSIBLE do mention GENERAL positive and negative aspect of bhavas.

Hope i am not troubling you too much:-)

Thanking you
Raman

asro

Post by asro » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:05 pm

Hi rishiji and vivekji !!

In this chapter you have mentioned as who are to be termed as Functional Benefics or Malefics.(correct me if I am wrong). This really helped me atleast separate the guys out. But how to handle the the functionality is  still a prob to me (my lack of understanding)... For eg. If a benefic planet (Jup, Ven), say owns either 6th, 8th or 12th house he is termed as functionally malefic. Now what confuses me is that,   his natural agenda is to do good but due to his position he has new  task to do bad ...  So such Benefic turned into functionally malefic , wont he ever  do good ?? how am i to interpret his maleficiance ?? could you explain with some eg ??plzzz

regards
Asro

rkirana

Rules for prediction to help the group and refine my understanding (Gurujis pls. help)

Post by rkirana » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:57 pm

For the benefit of students here as well as to get the learned opinion of Vivekji and RishiRahulji, I have come up with rules for prediction based on the lessons learned so far:

1. See the house which the query relates to
(e.g: See 7H For marriage/spouse, 10H for career/profession, 2H for wealth etc)
READ LESSON 4 ON BHAVAS FOR THIS

2. See in which house the house lord is? And check on his strength by way of
exaltation or own house or friend's house or weakness by way of debilitation or enemy house
READ LESSON 5 ON PLANETS FOR THIS

If the house lord is strongly positioned, then the significations of the house will be better

3. See which house the house lord is in and associate significance that way
e.g: 2H Lord (wealth) in 11 H (gain) may indicate gain of wealth

4. See the planets aspecting the house of interest to us (READ LESSON 9 ON DRISHTI for this) and also see the planets in the house. If they are benefics it is good for things signified by house and if malefic, bad for things signified by the house

5. Based on 2. and 3. arrive at a holistic picture

Learned Gurujis, Please give feedback on my analysis and help us in refining them.
I think real challenge is to join points 2. and 4. because when there are multiple effects like house lord in own house (strong) but aspected by a benefic and conjunct with malefic, how to take the percentage?

Thanks
Kiran
Kirana

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:09 pm

Namaskaar Raman ji,
When questions are raised and replies are given everyone gains.
All traits and Characteristics can be learnt like this. Giving a list is easy but also easy for the learner to overlook. Reading the Purranas can aid in learning the characteristics of Grahas, Raashis and nakshatras also. This is self study and cannot be given in the course.

The luminaries and Guru are Saatwik.
Budha and Shukra are Raajasik.
The rest are Taamasik.

A Jyotish has to deal mostly with Raajasik queries - Marriage (Shukra) and business or service (Budha).

Raman ji let the course progress an we will toghether with all learners cover most of the things.

to give the characteristics with the proper reference point from which it has to be studied will make it much easier to understand and assimilate.
Say for example Father-in-law, He being the spouses Father - the third house (Ninth from the seventh) will represent him. But third house from what reference? This is important to know. Only then will we be able to give predictions which come out correct.

We appreciate your valuable feedback and suggestions and we have seriously taken note of it.
Thank you for it, it means a lot to us.

RishiRahul and vivek.
Raman Deep Singh wrote:Dear Vivek ji and Rahul ji,
This is a wrong topic to ask this question but since vivek ji made a statement under this topic i thought of asking my question under this topic only so that it becomes easier for Vivek and Rishirahul ji to see that statement.
Vivek ji just made a statement in his last reply in this topic "Mangal is Brahmachari ". All these r very inherent and important characteristics of planets and it makes easier to decode and understand their behaviour in the bhavas and in conjunctions etc, wont it be great if you ALSO mention these basic characteristics in "Lesson 5. The Grahas (Planets)".

Also as it is said that every planet has 3 basic characteristics :- Saatwil, taamsik and Raajsik, wont it be possible for you to take time out of your busy schedule to characterise them under these (though they also depend on our preception)alongwith their basic characteristics.I do understand that it is time costing but that will be great for fellow students IF it is possible for you.

Also,does the properties/indications of bhavas in "Lesson 4. The Bhaava (Houses)"cover all of properties? They do cover the basic properties but i thought of asking same thing as i asked about planets. Every bhava do cover positive and negative aspect of life lfor example 8th house is considered to be Dushtana sthan thus house of negativity, death etc but also (on positive side) it is considered for study of occult science, Research etc.
So wont it be possible to give a (GENERAL) idea of positive and negative aspects of house. Though i do agree that they r endless to mention as we also consider them from different houses for example :- 5th house-> stands for chlildren also,is 9th from 9th(bhavat bhavam)thus stand for paternal grand father, also 8th from 10th thus for job joining etc.
Thats y i asked that please IF POSSIBLE do mention GENERAL positive and negative aspect of bhavas.

Hope i am not troubling you too much:-)

Thanking you
Raman

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:37 pm

Namaskaar Asro ji,
A natural benefic graha if it becomes a funtional malefic will give both the effects.
Suppose Guru is the lord of the sixth Bhaava and the third Bhaava and is placed in the ninth in Mithuna.
Due to the Natural beneficial effects of Guru the ninth Bhaava benefits.
Guru being the Lord of the malefic Bhaavas will bring the malefic effects of the Bhaavas on the ninth Bhaava.
Sixth is the Bhaava of enemies and ninth is Father or Guru or Dharma or Fortune. These factors are effected due to enemies or enimity. (we will deal with each Bhaava seperately and in great detail).

Again as an example let us take Mangal for a Kark Lagna Kundali. Mangal is a natural malefic and a funtional benefic.
Mangals placement in the ninth is bad because it is an Taamasik Graha and gives strife and unnecessary quarrels and run in with the law.
Its placement as the tenth lord will link the Bhaagya to the tenth (karma) wihich is very auspicious.
As the lord of the fifth it will give great fortune by giving breaks and promotions as well as proper guidance to plan the carreer graph. The person will be able to anticipate the superior's plans and adapt accordimgly, which in turn make the superior very supportive.

Keep doing exercises like this and read the Brihat Parashar Hora Shastra. Slowly but surely everything will fall in its proper place. All it takes is a little elbow grease and little of your time.

RishiRahul and vivek.
asro wrote:Hi rishiji and vivekji !!

In this chapter you have mentioned as who are to be termed as Functional Benefics or Malefics.(correct me if I am wrong). This really helped me atleast separate the guys out. But how to handle the the functionality is  still a prob to me (my lack of understanding)... For eg. If a benefic planet (Jup, Ven), say owns either 6th, 8th or 12th house he is termed as functionally malefic. Now what confuses me is that,   his natural agenda is to do good but due to his position he has new  task to do bad ...  So such Benefic turned into functionally malefic , wont he ever  do good ?? how am i to interpret his maleficiance ?? could you explain with some eg ??plzzz

regards
Asro

asro

Post by asro » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:03 pm

Hi vivekji

Thanx a millions for that patient reply. This for sure has cleared my doubts. And the lucid exaplantion with full devotion inspires me further to strive hard to learn it. I shall surely follow what u have suggested.

and a small request , please do not use the Ji form for me cos i am neither of the age or expereince to demand it , so i shall be pleased if u address  me just as Asro.

warm regards

Asro

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:44 pm

asro wrote:Hi vivekji

Thanx a millions for that patient reply. This for sure has cleared my doubts. And the lucid exaplantion with full devotion inspires me further to strive hard to learn it. I shall surely follow what u have suggested.

and a small request , please do not use the Ji form for me cos i am neither of the age or expereince to demand it , so i shall be pleased if u address  me just as Asro.

warm regards

Asro
Namaskaar asro ji,
The 'ji' is for 'Jagannath inside' so please dont mind it.

To see which of the two result will dominate apply this dictum - if the Graha is strong then the Beneficial result will dominate otherwise the malefic effect will be felt more.

RishiRahul and vivek.

jyotisha

Post by jyotisha » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:22 pm

RishiJi Vivekji

I have gone through the topics and they r excellent which have cleared a lot of my doubts
I gota doubt please help me understand.....

suppose the lagna is kanya then Guru becomes a malefic planet because of occupation of kendras. Now if the Guru is placed in the eighth house in aries then what happens??

Being a benefic planet  should it promote the positive side of the eigth house (research occult knowledge and longeivity)and being a FM will it aggravate the negative side of the eigth house(like shocks,tension,chronic diseases and violent death threats) and as it owns the 4th and the 7th house it should try to destroy(shocks/tension/violence to the ) the significations of the houses(sukha and yuvati bhava) it owns??.

please clarify

regards
ad

Jyotishaji,

You have to register to the course by opening the mystic academy and entering this site as you did to be able to partcipate in this course.

You canot open any new thread, but can participate in any existing thread, but only after registering as mentioned above.

vivek and RishiRahul

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”