Lesson 10- Benefics and Malefics (Functional and Natural)

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Lesson 10- Benefics and Malefics (Functional and Natural)

Post by RishiRahul » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:04 am

Natural and Functional - benefic and malefic.
Shubha and Paapa (Benefics and Malefics)
The Grahas are divided into two groups depending on the overall effect they produce for the good or bad.
There are two classifications
1) Naisargika : Natrural Classification. This is fixed and the same for all Horoscopes. The Grahas are classified as Subha/ Paapa depending on the beneficial effects they produce for the General good.
Naisargika Subha Grahas: Guru, Shukra are Natural benefics (Shubha). Budha* if is in the company of Benefics then it is a Shubha. Sukla paksha #Chandra (Moon of the bright fortnight) is a Subha.
Naisargika Paapa Grahas: Surya, Mangal, Shani, Raahu and Ketu are Malefics (Paapa) Grahas. Budha if in the company of Malefics then it becomes a Paapa Graha.
Krishna Paksha #Chandra (Moon of the Dark fortnight) is a Paapa.

*Budha is an impressionable child and the company he keeps will influence his behaviour.
# Shukla paksha means Chandra is placed within seven raashis from counted from Surya.
#Krishna paksha means Suryaa is placed within seven Raashis from counted from Chandra.
Surya is not a malefic (papa) in the strict sense of the word but is a Kroora (cruel) or harsh Graha. It is not a malefic in matters relating to childrens and marriage.
Ketu is also benefic for Marriage, children and of course for self realization.

2) Functional benefics or malefics:
In the horoscope we have seen that the Bhaavas represents various facets of life. There are some facets which everyone wants to avoid and some which everyone wants. This is the basis for the Functional beneficence / malfeasance.  
We all want to avoid enemies (6th house), diseases (8th house) losses and secret enemies (12th house). Grahas who lord these Bhaavas in the horoscopes become functional malefics even if they are natural benefics.

Maharishi Paraashar in BPHS chapter 35 (chaukhambha edition)
Sloka2-7. The Nature (functional) of the Grahas arising due to Lordships of Bhaavas:
1) A natural benefics, owning Kendras (1st, 4th, 7thand 10th), will not give benefic effects,
While natural malefics, owning Kendras, will not remain inauspicious.
This does not mean that the Graha if a natural benefic will become a malefic or vice versa. It just means some reduction in the beneficial effect of a natural benefic and reduction of malefic effect of a natural malefic. Their beneficence or malfeasance will depend on the Grahas lordship of the other Raashi it owns.  
2) The Lord of a Kona (trine) will give auspicious results.
The Lord of Lagna is especially auspicious, as Lagna is a Kendra, as well as a Kona.
Putra (5th) and Dharma (9th) Bhaava are especially good for wealth; While Yuvati (7th) and Karma (10th) Bhava are especially good for happiness.
3) Any Graha, owning Sahaj (3rd), Ari (6th), or Laabh (11th) Bhaava, will give evil effects.
These are the Trishdhaya houses, in the Raashi chakra these Raashis are the exaltation, Moolatrikona and the own house of Raahu.
4) The effects, due to the Lords of Vyaya (12th) and Randhr (8th) Bhaava, will depend on their association.
In each group the significance will be in the ascending order. Randhra Lord is not auspicious, as he owns the 12th from Dharma Bhaava. If the Lord of Randhra Bhaava simultaneously owns Sahaj (3rd), Ari (6th), or Laabha (11th) Bhaava, he will prove specifically harmful, while his simultaneous ownership of a Kona will bestow auspicious effects. The Graha, owning a predominant Bhaava, will stall the effects, due to another, owning a less significant Bhaava and will give his own results. Randhra lordship of Surya and Chandra is not evil.

Let us simplify this house wise:
1st bhaava: it is a beneficial house and so the Lord is also beneficial.
2nd Bhaava: it is a Maaraka (killer) house and hence it is not beneficial, but dependent on the other bhaava owned by the lord.
3rd Bhaava: it is a Trishadhaya and hence malefic.
4th Bhaava: it is a Kendra and hence a benefic.
Result of the lord depends on the natural benefic/ malefic nature. If it is a natural benefic then it suffers from Kendradhipatya dosha (a flaw arising out of owning a Kendra), it can be taken as a malefic only if it owns another malefic Bhaava (i.e. 3, 6, 8, 11, and 12). If it is a natural malefic then it has to own a Kona house to qualify as a full benefic.This applies to all Kendras.
But for now we will take it as benefic.
5th Bhaava: it is a Kona and hence its lord is a benefic.
6th bhaava: it is a Dustshaana (bad place) and also a trishadhaya and hence its lord is a malefic.
7th Bhaava: it is a Kendra sthana and hence a benefic, it is also a Maaraka sthana (killer place).
8th Bhaava: it is a Dusthaana and hence its lord is a malefic. Surya and Chandra do not become a functional malefic even if they own the eighth house.
9th Bhaava: it is a Kona and hence beneficial.
10th Bhaava: a Kendra and hence beneficial.
11th Bhaava: it is a Trishadhaya and so is a malefic.
12th bhaava: it is a dusthana and hence malefic.

We know that every Graha (except the luminaries) own two Raashis each and hence will become the lord of two Bhaavas.
This gives us three options:
a) It becomes the lord of both beneficial houses.
b) It becomes the lord of both malefic houses.
c) It becomes the lord of one beneficial and one malefic house.

The first two options are unambiguous; it is the third option which we have to be careful to judge whether the Graha will act as a malefic or a benefic. To help us in this Maharishi Paraashara has listed out the benefic and malefic planets for each Lagna Raashi. Refer to it and try to understand the Maharishis reasons for allotting the benefics and malefics for each of the twelve Raashis in Lagna.

This brings us to the difference between Natural and temporal effects of the Grahas.
The natural benefic and malefic are from the perspective of the whole (Macro viewpoint), you may call them as social and anti social elements of the society.
Functional benefic and malefic are from the perspective of the individual (micro viewpoint) - What I as a person find desirable and undesirable.  

vivek and RishiRahul

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:52 am

Dear Rishi Rahul and Vivek ji.
Thank you Rishi Rahul ji this is an excellent chapter, quite straight forward and easy to understand.I have gotta question. 8th sthan is also called as "Ayur(longevity) Sthan" thus it does explain y 7th house is also called as maaraka sthan,since it is 12th from 8th house thus harming age.
But if we consider 8th from different point of view ,since it is 12th from dharma sthan(9th house)thus bad (GENERALLY)and since 7th is 12th from 8th(thus bad for bad thing[i know my words may sound kiddish ;-)]) thus dont u consider it to be good.Coz  then 7th shud be good from all other point of view other than longevity point of view coz it harming a house which is bad fOR dharma house.

I hope im able to get my point clear.Please do elaborate.

Thanking You
Raman

rkirana

Basic Doubts: Effects of malefic house lord on the house

Post by rkirana » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:55 am

Please answer my doubts mentioned below:

* Question on what happens if lord of a house is functional malefic/benefic

Given that it is an accepted principle that:
"Significance of a house manifests through the lord of the house as
one of the factors", how does this change, when the lord is functional
benefic/malefic?

If lord of a house is a functional malefic does it signify bad for the
things specified by the house?
Given that functional benefic signifies good for things specified by
the house, can we say that:
1. Good if dustana lord is malefic
2. Good if other house lords are benefic

I understand that it depends on other factors like aspects, occupants etc...I want to know the effect of a malefic house lord on the sustana/dustana houses

* Question on houses signifying wrt other house.
6th house signifies enemies. Now 5th house is 12th (loss) from 6th:
Does this mean loss of enemies OR loss to enemies.
Which is right interpretation?
Similary 4th house is 11th (win) from 6th: Does this mean win of enemies or win over enemies.

Regards
Kiran
Kirana

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Re: Basic Doubts: Effects of malefic house lord on the house

Post by RishiRahul » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:53 am

rkirana wrote:Please answer my doubts mentioned below:

vivek and RishiRahul= Parashara has given characteristics for all lagnas. How? Is an answer to your question. For a Meena lagna let us take a natural nenefic which turns into a functional malefic: Venus.=3rd.+8th. lord
+ love/sex. Meaning that the meen natives should beware of handling the love and health and communications aspects well... or else there will be trouble to handle.
Mercury(natural benefic) is a badhak and possesses dosha. Meaning that the home and spouse/relating to others would be important to the native; but it would have impediments.
Mars a natural malefic is a functional benefic. Meaning that here is an avenue we can change/need to change to achieve productivity/obtain benefits/lucrative are to develop.
Moon, a natural and functional benefic. Meaning an area which will be an important area in life always= creativity + children. Such lagnas creativity will be related to their children directly and indirectly.
The natures of lagnas has been decided by these natural and functional factors, in SHORT.

benefic/malefic?

vivek and RishiRahul=Explained above. Further changes/ultimate results happen due to postion and aspects. Apply imagination/develop it...more advanced.

vivek and RishiRahul=explained above.

I understand that it depends on other factors like aspects, occupants etc...I want to know the effect of a malefic house lord on the sustana/dustana houses

vivek and RishiRahul=Explained above.

vivek and RishiRahul= 6th. house besides enemies stands for so many others things. When we think in terms of enemies and we it is the 7th. house and we. 5th. house is 11th. of 7th. meaning gain to enemies.
5th is the house of loss/undoing to the 6th. house= Undoing to upachaya(6th) is pleasure(5th) or loss to maternal uncle(6th).
Similary 4th house is 11th (win) from 6th: Does this mean win of enemies or win over enemies.

vivek and RishiRahul=Apply your imagination and give a reply. Let us sometimes answer through you.

Regards
Kiran

vivek and RishiRahul

rkirana

I am sorry but you did not answer my question

Post by rkirana » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:55 am

Rishiji and Vivekji,

I am sorry - but I have not got an answer to my question.

I want to isolate effects on house due to house lord alone.
If house lord of a house is functional benefic, does it mean good things to the house from the house lord. If this is true it is vice-versa when we have functional malefics.

So in this case, is it good if dustana lords are functional malefics (so that they mean negative to significations of the dustana)?

My question is simple:
GIven that one of the signifcators of what a house signifies is the lord of the house, if the lord of the house is benefic (considering effects due to house lord alone), does it mean good for the house significations and vice versa?
Kirana

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:24 am

Dear Rishirahul and Vivekji,
I think u missed on my query.

Regards
Raman

rkirana

Re: Basic Doubts: Effects of malefic house lord on the house

Post by rkirana » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:07 am

Rishi and vivekji,

I applied my imagination!!!
4th house is 11th from 6th - it is the house of win to the 6th.
So it is the house of "win to enemies"

Thanks
Kiran
RishiRahul wrote:
rkirana wrote:Please answer my doubts mentioned below:

vivek and RishiRahul= Parashara has given characteristics for all lagnas. How? Is an answer to your question. For a Meena lagna let us take a natural nenefic which turns into a functional malefic: Venus.=3rd.+8th. lord
+ love/sex. Meaning that the meen natives should beware of handling the love and health and communications aspects well... or else there will be trouble to handle.
Mercury(natural benefic) is a badhak and possesses dosha. Meaning that the home and spouse/relating to others would be important to the native; but it would have impediments.
Mars a natural malefic is a functional benefic. Meaning that here is an avenue we can change/need to change to achieve productivity/obtain benefits/lucrative are to develop.
Moon, a natural and functional benefic. Meaning an area which will be an important area in life always= creativity + children. Such lagnas creativity will be related to their children directly and indirectly.
The natures of lagnas has been decided by these natural and functional factors, in SHORT.

benefic/malefic?

vivek and RishiRahul=Explained above. Further changes/ultimate results happen due to postion and aspects. Apply imagination/develop it...more advanced.

vivek and RishiRahul=explained above.

vivek and RishiRahul=Explained above.

vivek and RishiRahul= 6th. house besides enemies stands for so many others things. When we think in terms of enemies and we it is the 7th. house and we. 5th. house is 11th. of 7th. meaning gain to enemies.
5th is the house of loss/undoing to the 6th. house= Undoing to upachaya(6th) is pleasure(5th) or loss to maternal uncle(6th).

vivek and RishiRahul=Apply your imagination and give a reply. Let us sometimes answer through you.

Regards
Kiran

vivek and RishiRahul
Kirana

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:59 am

Dear Rishirahul and Vivek ji,
In my point of view 4th shud be house for the benefit of the enemies(if we just consider 6th for enemies)
thus it will help enemies to win over us(if dont consider other facts)coz in this we r thinking from the point of view of enemy and 11th is laabh sthan thus if we r considering 4th wrt 6th then it shud help enemy gain win over us.

Please do rectify for my mistakes.
Regards
Raman

rkirana

Re: I am sorry but you did not answer my question

Post by rkirana » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:04 pm

Rishiji and Vivekji

Pls. respond
rkirana wrote:Rishiji and Vivekji,

If house lord of a house is functional benefic, does it mean good things to the house from the house lord. If this is true it is vice-versa when we have functional malefics.

So in this case, is it good if dustana lords are functional malefics (so that they mean negative to significations of the dustana)?

My question is simple:
GIven that one of the signifcators of what a house signifies is the lord of the house, if the lord of the house is benefic (considering effects due to house lord alone), does it mean good for the house significations and vice versa?
Kirana

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:37 pm

Raman Deep Singh wrote:Dear Rishi Rahul and Vivek ji.
Thank you Rishi Rahul ji this is an excellent chapter, quite straight forward and easy to understand.I have gotta question. 8th sthan is also called as "Ayur(longevity) Sthan" thus it does explain y 7th house is also called as maaraka sthan,since it is 12th from 8th house thus harming age.
But if we consider 8th from different point of view ,since it is 12th from dharma sthan(9th house)thus bad (GENERALLY)and since 7th is 12th from 8th(thus bad for bad thing[i know my words may sound kiddish ;-)]) thus dont u consider it to be good.Coz  then 7th shud be good from all other point of view other than longevity point of view coz it harming a house which is bad fOR dharma house.

Thanking You
Raman
Dear Rishirahul and Vivekji,
I think u missed on my query.

Regards
Raman[/quote]

Namashkaar Ramanji,

You are on the right track I think. It  is enlightening to know that young souls like you and Kiran is tryig to understand and question the very basics that many miss uot on.

We did not miss out on your query and had it in the mind to answer it this morning.

"Coz  then 7th shud be good from all other point of view other than longevity point of view coz it harming a house which is bad fOR dharma house".----------7th. house is no doubt a very important house being the house of partner/spouse/signifies powerful interpersonal relations/helps to decide whether we lose or win in battles. It is not doubt having many positive qualities. Its powerful bearing on sex/kama renders its not a house perfect in qualities though.......You are on the right track.

vivek and RishiRahul

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:10 pm

Raman Deep Singh wrote:Dear Rishi Rahul and Vivek ji.

Thanking You
Raman
Namaskaar Raman ji,
The lesson on Argala should be read and re read before posing queries like this.
The present lesson is on the beneficence / malfeasance of Grahas. Natural tendency of the Grahas is fairly easy to understand. But the effects of a Graha arising because of its owning (lordship) certain Bhaavas is what we have tried to dechiper in this lesson.
Add to this the fact that a majority of the Grahas own two Bhaavas and it becomes extremly important that we have a road map to arrive at the quantum of benefic or malefic result promised bt the graha.

RishiRahul and vivek

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:18 pm

Raman Deep Singh wrote:Dear Rishirahul and Vivek ji,
In my point of view 4th shud be house for the benefit of the enemies(if we just consider 6th for enemies)
thus it will help enemies to win over us(if dont consider other facts)coz in this we r thinking from the point of view of enemy and 11th is laabh sthan thus if we r considering 4th wrt 6th then it shud help enemy gain win over us.

Please do rectify for my mistakes.
Regards
Raman
Namaskaar Raman ji,
That means that the fourth bhaava is the Bhaava of Loss for us. Is that why Rishis called it Sukha Sthaana?
For the enemy to win should the native not lose?

is this query again related to the present lesson?
RishiRahul and vivek

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:23 pm

rkirana wrote:Rishiji and Vivekji

Pls. respond

My question is simple:
Namaskaar Kiran ji,
You have turned the lesson topsy turvy.
The bhaava dictates whether the Lord is a Functional benefic or malefic. You are asking if it is the other way round.
The lord of a beneficial bhaava is a benefic for that chart and lord of a malefic bhaava is a malefic for that chart.

RishiRahul and vivek

rkirana

Post by rkirana » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:01 am

Oh yes, I got it now:

So significance of a house results from the position of its lord as one of the many factors. If the house is a malefic, then a strong position of the lord can result in malefic occurences and vice versa for benefic houses.

Now, a particular house significations would be affected by the lord of the house, by the lords of other houses that are present in it or occupying in it.
How do we arrive at a benefic/malefic result derivation for the house then.

Rishiji and Vivekji, Pls. let us know

vivekvshetty wrote:

Pls. respond

My question is simple:
Namaskaar Kiran ji,
The bhaava dictates whether the Lord is a Functional benefic or malefic. You are asking if it is the other way round.
The lord of a beneficial bhaava is a benefic for that chart and lord of a malefic bhaava is a malefic for that chart.

RishiRahul and vivek
Kirana

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:33 pm

Kiana Ji,
Are you sure you got it right?
A funtional malefic is a malefic for a particular chart because it is the lord of a malefic Bhaava.
This malefic influence is carried to the Bhaava it is placed in and aspects, to the Grahas it conjoins and aspects.
Suppose Mangal in the fourth Bhaava for a Kanyaa lagna Jaataka- it is a funtional malefic and also a natural Malefic. Its placement in the fourth will effect all the significations of the fourth (except the kaarakatwa of landed properties).
Its Drishti on the tenth Bhaava will vitiate the professional atmosphere for the native. Its Drishti on the seventh will influence the Marital aspect in a negative way.  

Kirana Ji keep asking till you are satisfied with the reply, we dont mind -instead welcome it.
But remember we are not here to spoon feed but to trigger your own understanding, so most of the time a query from you may be answered by a counter question.
the pace of the course is slow because we want a solid grounding in the basics. For this we want participation from as many learners as possible. This will spur us on and keep us on our toes as well as enrich the course contents. This is sadly not the case here and except for a few, most of the learners are silent or not interested.
We want to keep the atmosphere here as informal as possible and hence we are not making answering the Questions posed at the end of each lesson compulsary. May be that is making learners complacent.
RishiRahul and vivek
rkirana wrote:Oh yes, I got it now:

So significance of a house results from the position of its lord as one of the many factors. If the house is a malefic, then a strong position of the lord can result in malefic occurences and vice versa for benefic houses.

Now, a particular house significations would be affected by the lord of the house, by the lords of other houses that are present in it or occupying in it.
How do we arrive at a benefic/malefic result derivation for the house then.

Rishiji and Vivekji, Pls. let us know

vivekvshetty wrote:

Pls. respond

My question is simple:
Namaskaar Kiran ji,

RishiRahul and vivek

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”