Lesson 12: Panchaanga.

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:15 pm

Namaskaar priyesh ji,
Good question.
The Tatwa distribution we see for the Panchaanga is based on the Panchmahaabhutas, the Tanmaatraas and the Gyaanendriyaas.
See that the Dharma of the first bhaava is the ninth and this rules touch.
The 9th from the 2nd happens to be the 10th and this is sight. Sight is the Dharma of the eyes.
Same way extend this to other bhaavas.
The Grahas get Digbala only in the Kendras, as you know. The kendras are the support of the Horoscope.
They form the four Sandhyaas.
Midday corresponds to the 10th bhaava. It is the hottest  and the Agni Tatwa Grahas get Digbala there.
Midnight is the coolest and hence the two Jala tatwa grahas get Digbali therein.
The rest you may try to figure out for us.

RishiRahul and vivek.
priyesh wrote:Dear vivek ji and rahul ji,

As is said that the seats of panch tatvas are distributed from houses 1 to 5. But it is also said that
house 1 ( udaya lagna ) is prithvi tatva
House 4 (jala lagna ) is jala tatva
House 7 ( astha lagna ) is vayu tatva
House 10 (swarga lagna ) is agni tatva
and hence the planets get digbalas in these kendras. i.e; lagna is both vayu tatva and prithvi tatva....utterly confused.Please throw some light on this tatva of houses. actually where is jala tatva in 4th or in 5th, vayu in 1st or 7th etc ?

priyesh

priyesh

Post by priyesh » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:24 pm

Dear vivek ji and rahul ji,

Still didnt get the usage of tatvas.
You said that for panchanga the tatva distribution is based on the gyanendriyas i.e; 5th house shows Tongue . how  can this  be related to tithi ( a panchanga)
2.what is the relation between tithi (5th house ) and 9th from it ie; lagna (dharma of tithi)?
3.Do you mean that the study of jala tatva in a chart is done from 4th house and 5th house for different perspectives and this need to be confused, just like 9th house and also 10th house is studied for father?....ie; jala tatva in 4th shows life direction (moksha) and jala tatva in 5th shows relationship with spouse.
Namaskaar priyesh ji,
Good question.
The Tatwa distribution we see for the Panchaanga is based on the Panchmahaabhutas, the Tanmaatraas and the Gyaanendriyaas.
The 9th from the 2nd happens to be the 10th and this is sight. Sight is the Dharma of the eyes.
The Grahas get Digbala only in the Kendras, as you know. The kendras are the support of the Horoscope.
Midday corresponds to the 10th bhaava. It is the hottest  and the Agni Tatwa Grahas get Digbala there.
Midnight is the coolest and hence the two Jala tatwa grahas get Digbali therein.

RishiRahul and vivek.

priyesh wrote:

As is said that the seats of panch tatvas are distributed from houses 1 to 5. But it is also said that
and hence the planets get digbalas in these kendras. i.e; lagna is both vayu tatva and prithvi tatva....utterly confused.Please throw some light on this tatva of houses. actually where is jala tatva in 4th or in 5th, vayu in 1st or 7th etc ?

priyesh

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:55 am

Namaskaar Priyesh ji,
our reply below.
priyesh wrote:Dear vivek ji and rahul ji,

Still didnt get the usage of tatvas.
You said that for panchanga the tatva distribution is based on the gyanendriyas i.e; 5th house shows Tongue . how  can this  be related to tithi ( a panchanga)
Right now, we are not able to answer this question satisfactorily.
2.what is the relation between tithi (5th house ) and 9th from it ie; lagna (dharma of tithi)?
Same for this question.
3.Do you mean that the study of jala tatva in a chart is done from 4th house and 5th house for different perspectives and this need to be confused, just like 9th house and also 10th house is studied for father?....ie; jala tatva in 4th shows life direction (moksha) and jala tatva in 5th shows relationship with spouse.
Yes. See the Grahas getting digbala are the jala Tatva grahas. Chandra and Shukra. The basic direction given by them is Sukha (Happiness). Shukra gives luxury etc. Chandra gives sustenance and provides Nourishment as well as cure. So the life path of the Graha having Digbala in the chart shows success for the Native. Dig bala -Dig chakra - dig paala.
Namaskaar priyesh ji,
Good question.

RishiRahul and vivek.

priyesh wrote:

priyesh
RishiRahul and vivek.

sansunsan

Dhanayavad everyone

Post by sansunsan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:13 pm

Namashkar all,
    Sir i have been reading the learning lessons in this forum for sometime. I am very pleased about the discussions and the teaching part. Thanks Vivekji and Rahulji as teachers and the other great learnerss. Sorry sir i have not applied for the learning course and have not been participating in the discussions. Its because i don't get much time and the time i get i read the lessons here. Sir jyotish is not my proffesion but its my hobby and interest. Thus i am not able to fully devote in this but i do as much as i get time. Sir i am a doctor by proffesion but interested in jyotish (may be because of my exalted 12th lord).
    Thanks a lot Vivekji, Rahulji, Ramanji, Deepakji, Swapnilji and many other more.

mysbcrs

Post by mysbcrs » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:58 pm

Namaskaar Rishiji, Vivekji,

I was revising the lesson and have some doubts. Kindly clarify.

Based on the calculation method for determining the sign that signifies the purpose birth of the native, I gather that it is based on progression of the  the 12 signs through a tithi. While fixing the lagna we look at the vaara (sun rise to sun set) and take the sign rising in the east (point of sun rise) as lagna.

Similarly, to determine the progressed sign with respect to tithi why do we take the natural zodiac? For e.g, why not count from sign where Chandra is placed instead of from Mesha?

Also you mentioned that the best vaara for starting an activity relating to a bhava is the one lorded by Bhavesh. If we were to see from Chandra lagna should we take the tithi lorded by Bhavesh from Chandra lagna?

Thanks
CRS

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:17 pm

Namaskaa crs ji,
Our reply below.
mysbcrs wrote:Namaskaar Rishiji, Vivekji,

Based on the calculation method for determining the sign that signifies the purpose birth of the native, I gather that it is based on progression of the  the 12 signs through a tithi. While fixing the lagna we look at the vaara (sun rise to sun set) and take the sign rising in the east (point of sun rise) as lagna.
Can you explain this sentence to us more clearly.

Similarly, to determine the progressed sign with respect to tithi why do we take the natural zodiac? For e.g, why not count from sign where Chandra is placed instead of from Mesha?
No we dont take it starting from Chandra, start only from Mesha.

Also you mentioned that the best vaara for starting an activity relating to a bhava is the one lorded by Bhavesh. If we were to see from Chandra lagna should we take the tithi lorded by Bhavesh from Chandra lagna?
Many people treat Chandra lagna equivalent to Lagna. They may be successful in delineating the horoscope. We have been taught that the horoscope is judged from the Chandra lagna to see the support or otherwise of the society to the native.
Vaara is energy and hence the bhaava lords day (vaara) will give the activity initiated related to the bhaava the necessary energy for completion.
why do you feel that thithi and Chandra are related?

Thanks
vivek
To be a person is to be asleep.

mysbcrs

Post by mysbcrs » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:03 pm

Namaskaar Vivek ji,
My responses prefixed "crs-"
vivekvshetty wrote:Namaskaa crs ji,
Our reply below.
mysbcrs wrote:Namaskaar Rishiji, Vivekji,

Can you explain this sentence to us more clearly.

crs- My perspective (may be wrong) was as follows:
Start of a vaara (vedic week day) is a known point in the zodiac that varies through the year. Lagna is fixed relative to this point on the day of birth. (For e.g, today in India Kanya rises at sunrise. Hence a birth occurring approximately 8 hours later would be in Dhanu)
Start of a tithi, on the other hand is not a point in the zodiac. i.e, we do not have a longitude for the tithi start point. This being the case why should we count from Mesha always?

No we dont take it starting from Chandra, start only from Mesha.

crs- Same as above

Many people treat Chandra lagna equivalent to Lagna. They may be successful in delineating the horoscope. We have been taught that the horoscope is judged from the Chandra lagna to see the support or otherwise of the society to the native.
Vaara is energy and hence the bhaava lords day (vaara) will give the activity initiated related to the bhaava the necessary energy for completion.
why do you feel that thithi and Chandra are related?

crs- tithi being based on movement of Mo and phases of Mo, I was under the impression that Mo overlords tithi. Hence while vaara can relate to bhava from lagna tithi can relate to bhava from chandra lagna. For e.g, if 7th from lagna is Tula and 7th from Chandra lagna is Kanya, then a Sukravar falling on a Chaturthi or a Dwadashi would be the best option for marriage or partnership?

Thanks

vivek

anxious2711

Post by anxious2711 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:00 pm

Dear all,

I have finally caught up with all the reading. Superb! can't wait till Rishirahulji and Vivekji come back on the board and carry on with the lessons.

I know as of now they won't be coming back for some time, hence I am asking my fellow learners if they could help me get a better understanding. I have understood all the lessons, but I just need some clarifications regarding the panchanga lesson.

I understand that we are made of panch anga, and that Vaara, Tithi, Nakshatra, Yoga and Karana represent those angas for each individual charts. At the same time, the first house represents Vayu, the second agni, the third aakash, the fourth earth and the fifth jala.

Now in a practical application I have only seen a reading of the placement of the tithi lord with regards to the 5th house (jala tatwa), the reading was regarding marriage of the native (I think it was lesson 19).

So my question is do we look at the placement of the Vaara lord, the Tithi lord, the Nakshatra lord, the Yoga lord and the Karana lord with regards to the 2nd house, the 5th house 1st house, the 3rd house and the fourth house respectively? And what do each of these lord placement tell us and about what area? I mean why do we look at tithi and jala tatwa when we are judging marriage?

I would really appreciate if anyone would enlighten me on those matters.

Thank you,

anxious2711

Post by anxious2711 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:44 pm

Hey,

I found the answer to my question when surfing on the net. Am posting it here to help out anyone else who might have the same question:

Pachanga Lords: take lord of the Moon’s nakshatra and look at it in the rasi, how is it placed to see health, see tithi for relationship, vara for energy, yoga for social connections, karana for work.

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:51 pm

anxious2711 wrote:Hey,

I found the answer to my question when surfing on the net. Am posting it here to help out anyone else who might have the same question:

Pachanga Lords: take lord of the Moon’s nakshatra and look at it in the rasi, how is it placed to see health, see tithi for relationship, vara for energy, yoga for social connections, karana for work.
Namaskaar Anxious2711 ji,
You got it right, except for Nakshatra. Nakshatra lord is seen for longevity.

RishiRahul and vivek.
To be a person is to be asleep.

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”