Lesson 12: Panchaanga.

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

vivekvshetty

Re: Sankranti Dosha.

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:08 am

Namaskaar Deepak ji,
Technically speaking, Sankraanti was the previous day. If we take the Arc of 1 degree on each side to be the space of Sankraanti, then ofcourse it can be called a Sankraanti dosha. We think that Traditionally the day is the definition (Sunrise to Sunrise) of Sankraanti.
Keeping in mind that the Vaaresha is said to be afflicted, the defination of the Day (Sunrise to Sunrise) is more apt.
Hence the chart cannot be said to suffer from Sankraanti Dosha.
This is our thoughts only, which we feel is congruent with the traditional view.
RishiRahul and vivek.
deepakosho wrote:Om Guruve Namah

Dear Vivek ji / Rahul ji and All,

First of all, I am really sorry for being inactive as I have been occupied with work. Hopefully I will soon start contributing regularly.

So, I received this horoscope few months ago and I noticed that Sun is in Sagitarius within 1 degree. And hence sharing this with you all.

Birth Detail:
Male
December 16, 1952
7.35AM
Madurai, India

With my limited knowledge, let me try to share my views on the effects. As per scriptures, Sankranti birth makes the varesh and its related significances bad for the native.

The native was born on tuesday. Mars, the varesh is his 5th and 12th lord and is occupiying 2nd house.

Mars is siblings karaka: The native's coborns and the native are not in talking terms. They consider him as enemy.

Mars is karaka for litigations: The native has property related disputes and he has court cases running (I think the court case is between siblings).

Mars is exalted so the native has properties, but I beleive due to sankranti dosha the native is not able to enjoy them. (Mars is also aspecting 8th house, the house of litigation and court disputes)

Mars is 5th lord: The native's son is concerned about his father's well being. The native's son wants to help his father out (exalted 5th lord), but circumstances are not favouring him (due to effect of Sankrati Dosha?).

Should we recommend Sankranti Dosha (BPHS chapter 90) for this native? I believe, if we recommend this remedy then,

1) The native will win the court cases.
2) He will overcome enemity with his co-borns.
3) Deep down his Atma will be more peaceful (Mars is his atma karaka).
4) His son (5th lord mars aspecting 5 house) and family (Mars exalted in 2nd house) will be happy for him and viceversa.

Please share your views and thoughts.

Regards,
Deepak

vivekvshetty wrote: Namaskaar Deepak ji,
You are welcome to discuss the Horoscope.
RishiRahul and vivek

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:22 am

Namaskaar swapnil ji,
Try to search the online srimad Bhaagwata Puraana.
Remember that it is combustion of Chandra as well as eclipse of Surya. Budha was born out of an illicit relationship of Chandra and Taara (spouse of the Guru). This is said to be the greatest sin.
People born on Amaavasya are said to be generally unlucky in relationships. Generally it is said that they tend to be successful abroad. they also may gain from things below the soil. All these are general effects only and the Chart per see should support the indications.

RishiRahul and vivek.
gaonkarswapnil wrote:Dear Vivek ji

Recently I was listening pandit jis MP3 lecture where he was explaining chart of famous political leader there he mentioned about the krishna chaturdasi thiti which is said to be a cursed by lord shiva and also the curse from father from previous life

Can you please explain in detail as you too have mentioned about the chaturdasi and amavasya dosa in this topic it would also be helpful if you mention if it has puranic story

Also waiting for the reply on the previous post in this topic

Regards

Swapnil

mysbcrs

Post by mysbcrs » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:42 am

Dear all,

I came across this chart with Sankranthi Dosha of a native I know reasonably well. Thought of sharing with you all. I will share some events a little later in order not to preempt your opinions.

DOB:14Jan1923, 23:27, Bangalore, Female

She is currently going thru a very bad patch.

CRS
CRS

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:34 am

Namskaar CRS ji,
A data of someone 87 years old is rare.
There is sankraanti doshaa no doubt in this chart, but there are other more important yogas also and these will surely overshadow.
In fact Vaara lord is Surya and owns the 12th Bhaava, Grand parents!
vivek
mysbcrs wrote:Dear all,

I came across this chart with Sankranthi Dosha of a native I know reasonably well. Thought of sharing with you all. I will share some events a little later in order not to preempt your opinions.

DOB:14Jan1923, 23:27, Bangalore, Female

She is currently going thru a very bad patch.

CRS

mysbcrs

Post by mysbcrs » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:38 am

Namaskaar Vivekji,
A data of someone 87 years old is rare.
TOB may not be accurate. DOB and Nakshatra pada are certain. Based on events the time is slightly adjusted by an amateur(nor prizes for guessing who this amateur is :) )
There is sankraanti doshaa no doubt in this chart, but there are other more important yogas also and these will surely overshadow.
In fact Vaara lord is Surya and owns the 12th Bhaava, Grand parents!  
This native has undergone enormous pains and I cant recall any period in her life which could be called comfortable or happy. Based on your lessons, I see that the chart has two Panchaanga Dosha, viz., Sankranthi and Gandantha Birth (quotient 6, trouble to co-born).

I will list below some facts/events with specific details on 5th Bhava (where Ravi is there with dosha) and 3rd (co-born) purely for learning purposes:

1. Eldest with four siblings (Fem Jul24,Fem Mar28,Male Jun31,Male May37)
2. Marriage Feb 36, husband died in May 86
3. 3 Children (Male Nov 43, Fem Dec 47, Male Oct 60).
4. Low education, but intelligent and remarkable memory and very hard working.
5. Husband had family biz in printing line and lost most of it. Never financially comfortable.
6. Eldest son died of cancer in Apr 82. Was married, cheated by wife and divorced. Other two are fairly OK.
7. Had to depend on son-in-law after husband's death and now stays with youngest son. Trouble with Daughter-in-law over the last 7-10 years. Suffering from senility for the last 4/5 years.
8. Fragile health in general, anaemic, arthriitis, asthma
9. Father abandoned family in Feb 37 (apparently became a sadhoo - Parivraja yoga?) and had to depend on Grand Parents who were of high societal status
10. All siblings had trouble. 2nd and last died more than 10 years back. 1st sibling has overcome all troubles is comfortable now. 3 rd sibling is still going thru very trying times.
11. Health sinking last couple of weeks. Not sure how long she will survive.

CRS

gaonkarswapnil

Post by gaonkarswapnil » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:30 pm

Dear Vivek ji

Would like to know what is a significance of krishna chaturthi (sankasthi) as many people keep fast on that day also angaraki sankasthi which falls on tuesday

As per my knowledge it it is related to ganesha but when we see thithi lord of krishna chaturthi it is budha

I was reading mantra section of pandit ji site on krishna mantra but i could not understand properly

Will it be advisable for astro learners like me to keep fast on tuesdays or on sankasthi to gain astro knowledge

Regards

Swapnil
Swapnil from mumbai looking for future

prasanna

Post by prasanna » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:00 pm

Dear Swapnil,

Read the following information.

Sankashti Chaturthi or Ganesh Sankatahara Chaturthi

Sankashti Chaturthi, also known as Sankashti Chaturti or Ganesh Sankatahara Chaturthi, is an auspicious day dedicated to Lord Ganesh, which falls every month in a Hindu calendar. Sankata literally means “problems or worries” and Hara means “removing or eliminating”, therefore Sankata Hara Chadurthi or Sankatahara Chadurthi is a day to invoke the blessings of Lord Ganesh to remove all problems in life.

Chaturthi falls on the fourth day after new moon and fourth day after full moon in the Hindu calendar. Sankatahara Chaturthi is the fourth day of the waning lunar phase after the full moon. Sankashti means liberation during difficult times and therefore observing this fast is believed to reduce problems and seek the blessings of Lord Ganesh. If Sankashti Chaturthi falls on Tuesday, it is known as Angaraki Chaturthi or Angaraka Chaturthi. Angaraki is the other name of Mangal or Kuja or Chevaai or Bhauma (planet Mars). Angarak Ganesh Chaturthi is an auspicious day dedicated to Lord Ganesha in a traditional Hindu calendar. In 2010, there is an Angarak Ganesh Chaturthi on February 2 nd.

The importance of Sankashti Chaturthi Vrat was explained by Lord Krishna to Yudhishtira, the eldest of the Pandavas. It is also detailed in the Narasimha Purana and Bhavishaya Purana.

It is widely believed by Lord Ganesha devotees that observing Sankashti Chaturthi will bring material progress, happiness and fulfillment of desires.

There is a huge rush in temples dedicated to Lord Ganesh on Angarak Ganesh Chaturthi, especially in Maharashtra.

How to perform Sankashti Chaturthi Puja & Vrat?

Devotees observe fast for the whole day and conclude it after moonrise. After taking a bath in the evening, Lord Ganesh is worshipped with Durva (a variety of very fine grass). Aarti is taken and the Naivedyam is offered to Lord Ganesha. Then Lord Moon is worshipped and the fast is broken by offering meal to Brahmin. Reciting prayers of Lord Ganesh form an important part of the Sankashti fast. Ganesh Gayatri, Ganesh Ashtothram Shatanamavali (108 Names), and Ganesh Atharvashirsha Avartan are the main mantras recited while observing Ganesha Sankatahara Chaturthi Vrata. Observing this fast brings happiness and fulfills one’s desires.

Worshiping Lord Chandra on Sankashti Chaturthi

On Sankashta Chaturthi, worship of Lord Chandra (Moon God) is considered auspicious. If you are not able to view the moon in the sky, an image of the moon can be drawn as a symbol. The moon is offered with sandalwood paste and flowers. Naivedya is also performed.  

Source: http://www.hindudevotionalblog.com/2009 ... anesh.html
prasanna

LEAD, KINDLY LIGHT. LOVE IS GOD, LOVE IS OCEAN, " Love Is Eternal. " LIVE TO LOVE TO LIVE.

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:51 am

Namaskaar Swapnil ji,
This query can be answered only if we go into the remedial measures aspect of Jyotish. We do not propose to go into this area as far as this course is concerned but still we give you a link to pursue.

Code: Select all

http://srath.com/om/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=100&Itemid=145
Prasanna ji has already given the background info on this.

RishiRahul and vivek.

Would like to know what is a significance of krishna chaturthi (sankasthi) as many people keep fast on that day also angaraki sankasthi which falls on tuesday

As per my knowledge it it is related to ganesha but when we see thithi lord of krishna chaturthi it is budha

I was reading mantra section of pandit ji site on krishna mantra but i could not understand properly

Will it be advisable for astro learners like me to keep fast on tuesdays or on sankasthi to gain astro knowledge

Regards

Swapnil

gaonkarswapnil

Post by gaonkarswapnil » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:01 pm

Dear Vivek ji

I just wanted to know the importance just like as you said about importance of flag and kalash, to my curious mind i linked that fasting for ganesha on this days may give astrology knowledge

Also just a thought came in to my mind krishna soma and ganesha are gods then why a god cursing another god

Regards

Swapnil
Swapnil from mumbai looking for future

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:01 am

Namaskaar Swapnil ji,
There was no doubt of your intentions. It is just that dealing with your query would have taken us deep into the remedial measures territory and this we want to avoid, for this course.

Regards to your second query,
The stories of the puraanas are on one level, deeply symbolic and on another level they show us the Human side of the deities involved. It shows them to be powerful but still very human and this we find very beautiful. Lord Krishna took on the curse of Gandhaari willingly even though she was wrong in cursing him fro the loss of her sons. The epics and puraanas are full of these curses and blessing and it is said that some effects of curses given long back still has effects on our civilization even today. this should show us the importance of curses in charts, as Jyotishas.

Rishirahul and vivek.

I just wanted to know the importance just like as you said about importance of flag and kalash, to my curious mind i linked that fasting for ganesha on this days may give astrology knowledge

Also just a thought came in to my mind krishna soma and ganesha are gods then why a god cursing another god

Regards

Swapnil

priyesh

Post by priyesh » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:32 pm

Dear vivek ji and rahul ji,

As per the teachings following are the seats of panch tatvas in a horoscope:

Lagna : Vayu
2nd house : Agni
3rd house : Akash
4th house : Prithvi
5th house : Jala

when vaara lord is studied then its placement is seen from Lagna ( 1st house ),but seating of agni tatva is 2nd house and when tithi lord is studied it is done from 5th house(but house of relationship is 7th house from lagna). Here i note that in the first case the house combination is 12/2 and in second case it is 3/11.what does this mean?
my view is that the former refers to good/bad health and sustainence and latter refers to communication (3rd) / friendship(11th) for a better future(5th). Am i right or wrong? please clarify.

priyesh

priyesh

Vaara / vaaresha / vara chakra

Post by priyesh » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:03 pm

Dear vivek ji and rahul ji ,

1. You said that when the sun is in between 0 to 1 degree (sankranti dosha) the vaaresh becomes negative,which clearly indicates that the ability of vaaresh depends upon the position of sun in the chart. So..
a) what if the sun is in the last degree of a sign i.e; 29 - 30 degree. Is it a dosha?
b) Does it mean that vaaresha will be powerful when the sun is in the middle of the raashi  i.e; 15 degree ?
c) Will the power of vaaresh depend on the rashi in which sun is placed or it only depends on degrees ?
d) does malefic influences ( shrapa/curses ) on sun effect the vaaresh ?
e) So does it mean that before predicting the health of the native using vaaresh we need to thoroughly study the sun?
f) as you said that if the vaaresh is negative its anger will damage the bhavas it owns…..did you mean damage to health/organs corresponding to the bhavas ?

2. when we are talking about Vaara/vaara chakra , it is connected with  health / agni tatva . so the yuti of 6th planet ( enemical )and the yuti of 8th planet ( grahana ) does only mean some health issues the native will face ? or will it extend to other areas of life too ? if it is so , what will be the difference in health issues for a) enemical combination b) grahana combination?

3. when a planet and its protecter ( 5th planet in vaara chakra ) are in nodal axis can we predict health issues as signified by the planet? As an eg: when moon is with ketu (grahana combination)  and shukra ( protector of moon ) is with rahu can we predict health issues connected with mind ?

4.is there any special significance associated with the 2nd,3rd,4th,7th and 9th planets from any planet in vaara chakra ?

5.also you have said that “The weekday of the lord of any Bhaava is the best day for activity relating to the Bhaava. This is used to choose the best Vaara for initiating any activity.”  Is This initiation due to the agni tatva (creativity ). ?

priyesh

priyesh

Post by priyesh » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:39 pm

Dear vivek ji and rahul ji ,

While googling I got a small write up on tithi by Pt sanjay rath ji, which I am posting below:

Remember this carefully:" All beings are the products of the Union (Yoga) between Yogeswara Bhagavan(represented by the ninth house showing the Dharma or its father - the source of coming of the individual Atma) and Shakti (represented by the fourth house showing the Daya (mercy) of Bhoo Devi or the mother). That is why the father and mother represented by the Sun and the Moon are vital to creation. The Yogabetween them is called the TITHI and the Janma Tithi is the Yoga that has ledto Creation.Dharma is understood from the Astadala Padma. The various Tithi's have beenassociated with the different planets and this represents the Mood of theShakti leading to the creation or the form in which Bhoo Devi is having Yoga and Daya. Let us consider the case of one born in Amavasya. The tithi is ruledby Saturn and the Shakti is Kali the ferocious Ista Devi of Saturn. Thus such people will be unfortunate (Saturn) very strong willed and will be ferociousin battle. Being the children of Kali, they can remove ignorance of all kinds and can be great devotees and sanyasi's (renunciation is associated with Saturn). In this manner try to understand the shakti of creation.Another example : I was born in truteeya: thus my Ista Shakti is Bagalamukhi(Mars). Mars is associated with Agni and sight that are the important requisites for Jyotish. I can be very ferocious at war and yet be most calm at the time of complete turbulence. One of my bosses had remarked (after a firefighting episode when I had calmly reacted to the mews of a fire in one of the corridors, and had calmly given specific instruction to the individual assistants to call the fire brigade, police and had led others up the corridor to fight the fire!) that I was one cool chap!! I like Hanumanji, Rudra-Abhishek and War stories and so on..In this manner determine the Shakti from the Tithi and advise her worship to strengthen the inner bond of the Atma to the Body. (Dhoomavati is never worshipped for this Yoga as Ketu does not feature in the astadala Padma and causes the end of the Body.

priyesh

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:08 pm

Namaskaar Priyesh ji,
Our replies below.
priyesh wrote:Dear vivek ji and rahul ji,

As per the teachings following are the seats of panch tatvas in a horoscope:

Lagna : Vayu
2nd house : Agni
3rd house : Akash
4th house : Prithvi
5th house : Jala

when vaara lord is studied then its placement is seen from Lagna ( 1st house ),but seating of agni tatva is 2nd house and when tithi lord is studied it is done from 5th house(but house of relationship is 7th house from lagna). Here i note that in the first case the house combination is 12/2 and in second case it is 3/11.what does this mean?
my view is that the former refers to good/bad health and sustainence and latter refers to communication (3rd) / friendship(11th) for a better future(5th). Am i right or wrong? please clarify.
The lord of the Vaara is also judged from the second bhaava and also the first. Two different perspectives.
Again the lord of the Tithi is judged from the Seventh bhaava as well as the fifth. Again two different perspectives.
The underlined sentence of yours shows a very sharp Jyotish intellect.

priyesh
RishiRahul and vivek.

priyesh

Post by priyesh » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:50 pm

Dear vivek ji and rahul ji,

As is said that the seats of panch tatvas are distributed from houses 1 to 5. But it is also said that
house 1 ( udaya lagna ) is prithvi tatva
House 4 (jala lagna ) is jala tatva
House 7 ( astha lagna ) is vayu tatva
House 10 (swarga lagna ) is agni tatva
and hence the planets get digbalas in these kendras. i.e; lagna is both vayu tatva and prithvi tatva....utterly confused.Please throw some light on this tatva of houses. actually where is jala tatva in 4th or in 5th, vayu in 1st or 7th etc ?

priyesh

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”