Lesson 12: Panchaanga.

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

deepakosho

Re: Iconography of Lord Dakshinamoorti.

Post by deepakosho » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:28 pm

vivekvshetty wrote:Look at the image attached. It is an Icon of Lord Dakshinamoorti.
This is the form of Shiva as a Guru.
The two Luminaries (Prakaash Grahas) Surya and Chandra is adorning his crown.
Can we identify the Panchaangas in this Image?
First of all, thank you for making me research on Dakshinamurthy. I was delighted as I explored details about him.

Coming to the post I am attempting to answer this, Please correct me in case of mistakes.

Vara (agni tatwa) is agni in his hand.

Thithi (jala tatwa) is sun and chandra in his head.

Karana (phrithvi tatwa) is the book he is holding - why i thought so? Mercury represents pure knowledge.

Nakshatra (vayu tatwa) is represented by damru (music instrument) - why i thought so? sound needs air as the medium to travel. forgive me if it sounds foolish.

Yoga (akasha tatwa) is represented by Jnana Mudra (connecting index finger and thumb finger which is binding of jeeva aathma and param aathma)

Apart from that,

He controls Rahu (ignorance) under his feet
4 sons of brahma (Sanaka, Sananda, Sanatana and Sanatkumara) are getting knowledge from him.

I also read that he sits facing south (Dakshina murthy) to control mars who rules south direction (ruler of cremation grounds and death). Is this correct? So can we suggest praying Dakshina murthy to increase longevity (along with Mrithyanjaya mantra)?

Hi All,

Read the following link, its beautiful http://sagribow.sulekha.com/blog/post/2 ... arishi.htm

Om Tat Sat,
Deepak

vivekvshetty

Re: The best day.

Post by vivekvshetty » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:49 pm

Namaaskaar Deepak ji,
The lord of the Bhaava is duty bound to protect the Bhaava and hence this dictum.
So the Answer should be yes. We are not aware of any exceptions.
In Muhuratha principles some weekdays are not recommended for marriages. But the weekday lord of the seventh or the ninth or maybe even the third can be chosen.
RishiRahul and vivek.
deepakosho wrote:
vivekvshetty wrote:The weekday of the lord of any Bhaava is the best day for activity relating to the Bhaava.
This is used to choose the best Vaara for initiating any activity.

RishiRahul and vivek
But what if the bhavesh is badly disposed in the chart?

For e.g.) lets say the 7th bhava is either taurus or libra and venus is in 6th, 8th or 12th bhava? Would you still recommend marriage on friday?

Om Tat Sat,
Deepak

deepakosho

Post by deepakosho » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:33 pm

Vivek / Rahul ji,

I am eager to validate the panchangas represented by Dakshinamurthy . Are they right?
deepakosho wrote:
vivekvshetty wrote:Look at the image attached. It is an Icon of Lord Dakshinamoorti.
This is the form of Shiva as a Guru.
The two Luminaries (Prakaash Grahas) Surya and Chandra is adorning his crown.
Can we identify the Panchaangas in this Image?
Vara (agni tatwa) is agni in his hand.

Karana (phrithvi tatwa) is the book he is holding - why i thought so? Mercury represents pure knowledge.

Nakshatra (vayu tatwa) is represented by damru (music instrument) - why i thought so? sound needs air as the medium to travel. forgive me if it sounds foolish.

Yoga (akasha tatwa) is represented by Jnana Mudra (connecting index finger and thumb finger which is binding of jeeva aathma and param aathma)

Apart from that,

4 sons of brahma (Sanaka, Sananda, Sanatana and Sanatkumara) are getting knowledge from him.

I also read that he sits facing south (Dakshina murthy) to control mars who rules south direction (ruler of cremation grounds and death). Is this correct? So can we suggest praying Dakshina murthy to increase longevity (along with Mrithyanjaya mantra)?

Hi All,

Read the following link, its beautiful http://sagribow.sulekha.com/blog/post/2 ... arishi.htm

Om Tat Sat,
Deepak

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:08 am

Namaskaar Deepak ji,
The Surya and Chandra are the Luminaries and dont rule any Panchaanga limb, hence the luminaries adorning the lords forehead cannot rule any tatwa.
So that leaves us with jala tatwa to account for.
also remember that putting a feet on someone's head is equivalent to giving Deekshaa (initiation) or at-least taking over some karmic debt of the person on whose head the feet is put.
Superimpose the Kaala chakra on the Dig Chakra and you will understand why Guru can overcome Mangal.
The form of Shiva as Dakshinaamoorty is specifically worshipped for overcoming eclipse effect of Raahu on Surya (Raahu Grasta Diwaakaro) as the Dakshinaamoorty stotra hints.
RishiRahul and vivek.
deepakosho wrote:Vivek / Rahul ji,

I am eager to validate the panchangas represented by Dakshinamurthy . Are they right?
deepakosho wrote: Vara (agni tatwa) is agni in his hand.

Apart from that,

Hi All,

Om Tat Sat,
Deepak

prasanna

Post by prasanna » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:11 am

Dear Deepkji,

Thanks a lot for the beautiful  link On Dakshinamoorthy stothra explanations by Sri Ramana Maharshi. Iam a devotee of Bhagwan Sri Ramana. I enjoyed reading the divine incident.  I am able to iunderstand many things in these lessons through Your valubale questions to our Guru"s  and from them  on  the subject matters. My sincere thanks to U for asking those   questions. Do ask more,  so that we all co learners  also can benefit.

Regards,
prasanna

LEAD, KINDLY LIGHT. LOVE IS GOD, LOVE IS OCEAN, " Love Is Eternal. " LIVE TO LOVE TO LIVE.

deepakosho

Post by deepakosho » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:21 pm

vivekvshetty wrote:So that leaves us with jala tatwa to account for.
so is it Ganga (on the head) representing thithi (jala tatwa)?

Om Tat Sat.
Deepak

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:25 pm

Where are the other learners?
deepakosho wrote:

Om Tat Sat.
Deepak

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Fri May 01, 2009 12:35 pm

Hello Vivek ji,
We are around only :-) Didnt visit here coz of other matters of astrology going on in my mind.
I hope u can see that in Vedic forum :-) I m trying to unravel and understand few things :-)

And also coz i was waiting for addition of parts in Arudha chapter.
Coz i feel lot of things gona get unravel after this chapter.I personally feel so.....
We are all around for you to further explain this concept.

Regards,
Raman

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Tue May 05, 2009 2:45 pm

Namaskaar Deepak ji,
We would like to think of the book as Jala Tatwa.
if so, then that again leaves us with Prithvi Tatwa to account for.
RishiRahul and vivek.
deepakosho wrote:

Om Tat Sat.
Deepak

deepakosho

Post by deepakosho » Tue May 05, 2009 2:57 pm

vivekvshetty wrote:We would like to think of the book as Jala Tatwa.
Vivekji,

I am having difficulty relating book to Jala Tatwa. Could you kindly shed some light on that?

Om Tat Sat.

Deepak

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Wed May 06, 2009 3:30 pm

Namaskaar Deepak ji,
Knowledge is Power (Shakti) and always Shakti sits on the left lap in Vedic iconography. this is poured into the learner by the Guru  by Shaktipaata. It flows into the learner by the Grace (Gurukripaa).
RishiRahul and vivek.

gaonkarswapnil

Post by gaonkarswapnil » Thu May 07, 2009 6:50 pm

Dear Vivek ji

I was reading about panchanga initially i did not understood and still not able to understand the concept. Initially i would like to know does the placement of varesh in chart solely depends on health or say digestion power of native

You mentioned person born on thrusday friday are lucky with health then what if there varesh is placed in 6 8 12 position

What should be done by the natives whoes varesh is badly placed

I also recall you mentioning that native partner will have complains regarding the bhava in which thithi lord is placed , why this is so as as i only knw thithi is jala tatwa pls explain reason for this too

Reagrds

Swapnil
Swapnil from mumbai looking for future

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun May 10, 2009 2:47 am

Namaskaar Swapnil ji,
This material world is made up of five states (elements) of matter. These are also the very elements which create our body. The Elements also effect the mind as mind and body are interlinked.
The Panchaangas are qualities of time and shows the rise of each element for a particular moment. The time a person is born in carries the qualities of the elements that were ruling at that time.
these five elements are worshipped in Satya Sanaatana as the five primary deities. The Panchaayatana Puja. Every Puja has a specific deity as focus but all other among the five) are also worshipped.
The deities are
Ganesh
Shiva
Surya
Vishnu
Devi.
Other comments below in green.
gaonkarswapnil wrote:Dear Vivek ji

I was reading about panchanga initially i did not understood and still not able to understand the concept. Initially i would like to know does the placement of varesh in chart solely depends on health or say digestion power of native
It is the other way round, On the placement of the Vaaresha will depend the health.

You mentioned person born on thrusday friday are lucky with health then what if there varesh is placed in 6 8 12 position
If the person was born on a Thursday or Friday and if the Graha is placed in the bad houses then of course there will be health problems but still some form of protection is always available.

What should be done by the natives whoes varesh is badly placed
Improve digestive power, Take care of the food one eats (check the eighth Bhaava for this). In Rig Veda the first Richa is for Agni!

I also recall you mentioning that native partner will have complains regarding the bhava in which thithi lord is placed , why this is so as as i only knw thithi is jala tatwa pls explain reason for this too.
Tithi shows the interaction of the two polar principles (Male and Female). Thus tithi become important to judge the marital relationship.

Reagrds

Swapnil
The Panchaanga factor was the first thing a Traditional jyotish Sees when a Chart (especially of a new born) is presented to him.

rishiRahul and vivek.

mysbcrs

Post by mysbcrs » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:50 pm

Namaskaar Vivekji,

Have some questions on the lesson. Forgive me for rising some of these a bit late. Hope you dont mind.
Any Graha placed with a Graha which falls in the sixth from itself in the Vaara Chakra will act inimically (as an enemy) to the Bhaava this combination falls.

For example a Horoscope having a Yuti of Shani and Mangal. Mangal is the sixth Graha when counted from Shani in the Vaara Chakra hence it is a vey negative yuti and the Bhaava where this Yuti happens suffers.
My understanding of the above is that in the pair it is the first graha that is affected ( and in turn affects the bhava where the yuti happens). The sixth graha wil give its own "normal" results.

In the example given shani-mangal yuti affects Makara/Kumbha/Tula/Vrishabh lagnas more adversely than say Mesh/Vrishika/Simha/Katak lagnas. Please correct me if I am worng.
Any grahas conjunction with a Graha eighth from it in the Vaara Chakra suffers from a Eclipse effect (Grahana).
Say for example Surya is with Raahu in a Horoscope then Surya suffers eclipse effect due to Raahu because, Raahu is the eighth Graha counted from Surya in the Vaara Chakra.
The Graha under Grahana forgets its inherent nature and acts inimically.
Here my understanding again is that the 1st graha is affected (limiting to this particular effect) and not 8th. If we take Guru-Shani yuti Shani gets affected and Guru is unaffected. Shani being malefic does this enhance its maleficience (act more inimically) or partly forget its inherent nature?
Tithi is Jala Tatva and hence shows emotions. The fifth house is
also a Jala Bhaava and hence we should see the Tithi lord w.r.t the fifth Bhaava
I could not understand how 5th Bhava is related to Jala tatwa. I thought 4/8/12 are the Jala tatwa rashis and the corresponding bhavas would inherit these.

CRS
CRS

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:41 pm

Namaskaar CRS ji,
As usual, our reply in green below.
mysbcrs wrote:Namaskaar Vivekji,

Have some questions on the lesson. Forgive me for rising some of these a bit late. Hope you dont mind.
Any Graha placed with a Graha which falls in the sixth from itself in the Vaara Chakra will act inimically (as an enemy) to the Bhaava this combination falls.

For example a Horoscope having a Yuti of Shani and Mangal. Mangal is the sixth Graha when counted from Shani in the Vaara Chakra hence it is a vey negative yuti and the Bhaava where this Yuti happens suffers.
My understanding of the above is that in the pair it is the first graha that is affected ( and in turn affects the bhava where the yuti happens). The sixth graha wil give its own "normal" results.

In the example given shani-mangal yuti affects Makara/Kumbha/Tula/Vrishabh lagnas more adversely than say Mesh/Vrishika/Simha/Katak lagnas. Please correct me if I am worng.
First and foremost the Bhaava where this yuti is formed, suffers. That Bhaava causes some problem and this helps the Jyotish to focus more on the matter related to the Bhaava.
Any grahas conjunction with a Graha eighth from it in the Vaara Chakra suffers from a Eclipse effect (Grahana).
Say for example Surya is with Raahu in a Horoscope then Surya suffers eclipse effect due to Raahu because, Raahu is the eighth Graha counted from Surya in the Vaara Chakra.
The Graha under Grahana forgets its inherent nature and acts inimically.
Here my understanding again is that the 1st graha is affected (limiting to this particular effect) and not 8th. If we take Guru-Shani yuti Shani gets affected and Guru is unaffected. Shani being malefic does this enhance its maleficience (act more inimically) or partly forget its inherent nature?

Here the Bhaava as well as the eclipsed Graha is affected. Shani's eclipse by Guru to a certain extent does change the nature of Shani. In fact it is said to form the 'Rishi yoga' and is a very auspicious combination. But still the bhaava where this is formed suffers.
Tithi is Jala Tatva and hence shows emotions. The fifth house is
also a Jala Bhaava and hence we should see the Tithi lord w.r.t the fifth Bhaava
I could not understand how 5th Bhava is related to Jala tatwa. I thought 4/8/12 are the Jala tatwa rashis and the corresponding bhavas would inherit these.
We are glad you raised this. It seems others missed this. We will reply to this in our next post as it forms a different subject matter by itself.

CRS
RishiRahul and vivek.

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”