Lesson - 14. AMSHA KUNDALIS

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:01 am

Namaskaar Raman ji,
You are correct, the lesson is far from over. It will take some time to bring it to conclusion. First we have to start with Raashi and only then think of the Amsha Kundalis.
Also we are not too sure as to the depth and the breadth of the topic we should cover. We will surely cover the Navaamsha, Dashaamsha and Sidhaamsha. May be if we get a good response, we will discuss the others.
The second question of yours will require a detailed post and as tyhe lesson progresses it will be more clear.
RishiRahul and vivek.
Raman Deep Singh wrote:Dear Vivek ji and Rishirahul ji,
Can you kindly mention how we suppose to relate
D-1 to divisional charts..I am feeling this chapter is still not fully complete...

Mainly matter is related to technical point of view and not much related to
relationship of Amsha chart to D-1 and how to understand them....

Can you help with this one too....:-)
I know i asked too many questions......but just using my time whenever
i get little free ;-) to go thru chapters..

Regards,
Raman

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:20 am

Namaskaar raman ji,
We will give an example of correlating the Raashi and the Amsha.
Take the Dashaamsha- For an odd sign the Amshaas are calculated from the raashi itself. For an even sign the count starts from the ninth from the raashi, correct?
Now the odd signs are called masculine signs and the even signs are called Feminine. The calculation of the Dashaamsha shows us that Masculine energy is self centered (we may also say selfish but self centered is more apt). Whereas the feminine energies are more Dharma based.
Now suppose a Graha is in Masculine Raashi in both Raashichart and Dashaamsha. This shows that the energy of the Graha is self centered.
Same way if a graha is placed in feminine raashi in both Raashi as well as Dashaamsha. this will make the graha give actions which are more dahrma based. Do you remember dharma is four fold. The highest is Vishwa Dharma, then Raashtra dharma, Jaati Dharma and lastly SwaDharma.
Thus we can Judge the inclination of a Graha w.r.t Karma (10th Bhaava effects) with the help of correlating both the Raashi as well as the Amshaa.
RishiRahul and vivek.

rajitha

Post by rajitha » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:26 pm

Vivekji & Rishiji,
  First of all, I am sorry for not keeping up with the lessons.
I promise to do so in future. Your great effort is surely appreciated.

Secondly, a word of praise for both of you. There are quite a few places online where astrology lessons are put but the way you have been encouraging us to think on it and giving the intricacies behind the rules makes your lessons stand apart.
This shows the great maturity and surely shows how intricate and complicated this science is.

Kudos and thanks.

While there is a lot of information I could not grasp in my first reading, I want to ask a simple question.

If in rashi, a planet is placed in a friendly sign and lets say Lagna and in Navamsa, it is debilated, lets say in second in an enemy's house, does it mean that the wealth gaining dream of the native is not going to be fulfilled.

Also, if a planet is debilated in Navamsa but if debilation is cancelled, does it equal exaltation?

P.S Thanks for letting us know the science and procedure to draw the different divisional charts.
Why do each divisional chart have a different method of constructing them?

Thanks.

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:26 pm

Namaskaar Rajitha ji,
Our response in Green.
rajitha wrote:Vivekji & Rishiji,
  First of all, I am sorry for not keeping up with the lessons.
I promise to do so in future. Your great effort is surely appreciated.

Secondly, a word of praise for both of you. There are quite a few places online where astrology lessons are put but the way you have been encouraging us to think on it and giving the intricacies behind the rules makes your lessons stand apart.
This shows the great maturity and surely shows how intricate and complicated this science is.
This is thanks to our teachers.

Kudos and thanks.

While there is a lot of information I could not grasp in my first reading, I want to ask a simple question.

If in rashi, a planet is placed in a friendly sign and lets say Lagna and in Navamsa, it is debilated, lets say in second in an enemy's house, does it mean that the wealth gaining dream of the native is not going to be fulfilled.
To answer this question, remember  an oft repeated dictum which says a Graha in Exaltation in Raashi but debilitated in Navaamsha suffers ucchabhanga (cancellation of exaltation), same way a Graha in debility in Raashi but Exalted in Navaamsha get Neechabhanga. This is due to the  Divine or God if we may say so.
This shows that Navaamsha is the Divisional chart to see GOD.
So if a Graha is in debility in Navaamsha then it is weakened. But in Navaamsha it is the tenth bhaava which has a great deal to do with money.
The second Bhaava here has to do with longevity of marriage.

Also, if a planet is debilated in Navamsa but if debilation is cancelled, does it equal exaltation?
Any where if there is neecha bhanga it does not mean it has become uccha. It just means that the bad luck is broken.
Neecha means to fall down. This falling down may be of fortune, luck or morals. it has the positive side of giving Humility.

P.S Thanks for letting us know the science and procedure to draw the different divisional charts.
Why do each divisional chart have a different method of constructing them?
We have explained this with an example of the D-10 chart.
Same way the way in which we calculate a divisional chart has a deep meaning behind it. This we have to decode.
Some divisional charts are calculated in multiple ways and each has a different meaning or flavor.

Thanks.
RishiRahul and vivek

Certain

Post by Certain » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:58 pm

I have a question here , I have read whole chapter but I cudnt find it ....if planet is functional melefic for both D1 and D9 chart (or any chart), and is vargottama too , how does it work ....very bad or wud it still very good being vargottama. or example if janam lagna and D9 both have Leo lagna and jupiter is in 7th house in both charts D1 as well as D9 in same aquarius rashi.So wud this vargottama status make it very good or very bad for chart as jupiter being panchamesh and ashtmesh.

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:10 am

Certain wrote:I have a question here , I have read whole chapter but I cudnt find it ....if planet is functional melefic for both D1 and D9 chart (or any chart), and is vargottama too , how does it work ....very bad or wud it still very good being vargottama. or example if janam lagna and D9 both have Leo lagna and jupiter is in 7th house in both charts D1 as well as D9 in same aquarius rashi.So wud this vargottama status make it very good or very bad for chart as jupiter being panchamesh and ashtmesh.

Namshakkar Certainji,

For Leo Lagna, Jupiter in the 7th. in D1 and D9 in Aquarius,would also mean that a natural benefic is in 'Vargottama' in the 7th.

Vargottama is a strength obtained by its relative position in D9, and is a confirmation of its positional strength and quality.

Jupiter, though a functional malefic, is also a natural benefic, owns a (strongly benefic house) 5th. house., is highlighting the 7th. house... coming to rescue a marriage/partnership faltering from an ego affected state.

Since benefic factors rule here, it acts more as a benefic here.

Hope we have been clear enough?

vivek and RishiRahul

gaonkarswapnil

Post by gaonkarswapnil » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:11 pm

Dear Rishi ji and Vivek ji

As far as i have read about vargottam it is said that the planets which occupy same rashi in D1 and D9 are termed vargottam

But can it be called vargottam if it is for other D charts , I read that as D9 is the most important after rashi chart and vargottam planet links native with god is it right

How it would be if in rashi chart vargottam planet is functional malefic and in D9 it is functional benific or vice versa or can say natural benific or malefic

For Eg: IF D1 leo lagna and D9 vrishab lagna and shani is vargottam what will be the case or vice versa

IF planet other than ketu is vargottam then it will also be a chara karaka then what will it signify if particular chara karaka is vargottam

How the placement of vargottam planet will effect native say In D1 it is in lagna and in D9 in 6th or say vice versa (Pls also explain if lagna is vargottam)

to be cont...

Regards

Swapnil
Swapnil from mumbai looking for future

Certain

Post by Certain » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:51 pm

RishiRahul wrote:
Namshakkar Certainji,

For Leo Lagna, Jupiter in the 7th. in D1 and D9 in Aquarius,would also mean that a natural benefic is in 'Vargottama' in the 7th.

Vargottama is a strength obtained by its relative position in D9, and is a confirmation of its positional strength and quality.

Jupiter, though a functional malefic, is also a natural benefic, owns a (strongly benefic house) 5th. house., is highlighting the 7th. house... coming to rescue a marriage/partnership faltering from an ego affected state.

vivek and RishiRahul
Sir,

Namaskar.

thanks a lot for clarifying it.

Regards.

Sg

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Certain wrote:
RishiRahul wrote:
Namshakkar Certainji,

vivek and RishiRahul
Sir,

Namaskar.

thanks a lot for clarifying it.

Regards.

Sg

Namashkaar Certainji,

The Learning forum in Mysticboard we try to keep it egoless.  The 'Sir' thing shows ego. Not yours, but for Learning.

Better respect than 'Sir' is 'Jee' or 'Ji', as the respect and the love recieved from it comes more easily; and also that our Learning from your questions, fires our thinking better for collective Learning.

vivek and RishiRahul

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:57 pm

As far as i have read about vargottam it is said that the planets which occupy same rashi in D1 and D9 are termed vargottam

But can it be called vargottam if it is for other D charts , I read that as D9 is the most important after rashi chart and vargottam planet links native with god is it right

How it would be if in rashi chart vargottam planet is functional malefic and in D9 it is functional benific or vice versa or can say natural benific or malefic

For Eg: IF D1 leo lagna and D9 vrishab lagna and shani is vargottam what will be the case or vice versa

IF planet other than ketu is vargottam then it will also be a chara karaka then what will it signify if particular chara karaka is vargottam

How the placement of vargottam planet will effect native say In D1 it is in lagna and in D9 in 6th or say vice versa (Pls also explain if lagna is vargottam)

to be cont...

Regards

Swapnil
Hi Swapnil ji,
:-) it is nice to se so many question from you.
I wont answer many of ur questions :-) but will try to reply to few of them

No vargottam is only for D-9 coz it means vargottam = VARGA+ UTTAM... i.e. means for most uttam varga (most important divisional chart) and as u have mentioned it is navamsa... so vargottam is for planet occupying common raashi in D-1 and D-9....

for other questions of urs why dont u try putting ur own understanding .. as Rishirahul ji and Vivek ji always want us to do before asking..

Regards,
Raman
Last edited by Raman Deep Singh on Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Certain

Post by Certain » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:09 pm

Rsihirahul ji, I know my endeavour gets misinterpreted for ego , i havent any actually, my living in west actually keeps confusing me here and there, Sometimes It doesnt occur to me whom I am talking to and what kind of address wud be apt (ill effect of multi tasking actually).I am sorry for any kind of off-track behaviour if I have ever shown unknowingly.
I am spiritually a down to earth person. And please pardon me for future too because i might land up doing it again though I wud try best not to do it again.Life changes a person attitude towards many things.Here in West we call name of a person without any form of respect but  deep inside heart we respect them a lot even when it doesnt show up with any kind of verbal phrase.In India, even after many superficial phrases of respect people inside heart dont respect elders.
I am exposed to many cultures here so somehow have started believing that eventualy what lies in heart matters , rest is conditioning, that is probably that is what lands up showing here and there.
Anyways I am sorry about anything i did ,landed up hurting anyone.

I have one more query , and that is what if this vargottam jupiter is retrograde in D1 , wud it alter or improve the status of Jupiter.

kumar69

Post by kumar69 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:24 pm

Dear Rishiji/Vivekji
     Namaskar

The D-9 chart is a magnified version of the D-1 chart with 9x zoom.Some astrologers have advised to look every thing from the D-9. You just mentioned about the 10th house in D-9 deals more with money. I had learnt some where about the abilities are more prominent in the D-9 than in any other chart.
   Pleaase explain more/all about the D-9

Regards

vivekvshetty

Vargottama.

Post by vivekvshetty » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:31 pm

Namaskaar all,
many have asked about the effect of Vargottama Graha.
First and foremost Vargottama is seen only in Navaamsha.
Suppose a graha is placed in Mesha in the Raashi chart and in the Navaamsha also it is placed in Mesha then that Graha is said to be Vargottama.
As Raman ji rightly pointed out it means the best placement in the varga.
For this we have to understand the calculation of Navaamsha.
For a chara Raashi the Navaamsha starts from own rashii and proceeds Zodiacal direction.
This means the first Navaamsha is the Vargottama Navaamsha for a Chara Raashi. This is like creation and is said to represent Brahmaa. Any Graha getting Vargottama there, is said to be a blessing of Brahmaa.
For Sthira Raashi the count of Navaamsha starts from the Ninth from it. Here the Vargottama is the fifth. This is the middle of the Navaamsha of a Raashi and is said to show sustanance and repreents Vishnu. A Graha getting Vargottama is said to have the blessings of Vishnu.
For Dwishbhaava raashi the count starts fro the fifth from it and the last or the ninth Navaamsha is the Vargottama Raashi. This is the end and hence said to represent Shiva. A Graha getting Vargottama in Dwishbhaava Raashi is said to be blessed by Shiva.
Because of the blessing of a Deity the characteristics of the Graha is marked in the Person. The person will be known for that particular trait. It is said to give fame.
Surya shows leadership.
Chandra shows sensitivity.
Mangal shows physical poweress.
Budha shows speech, communication.
Guru shows intellect.
Shukra shows beauty and will power.
Shani shows forbearance.
Raahu shows the ability to cross all boundaries.
Ketu shows insight and Maths.
Lagna shows Blessings of Longevity.

RishiRahul and vivek.

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:09 am

gaonkarswapnil wrote:Dear Rishi ji and Vivek ji

to be cont...

Regards

Swapnil

Namashkaar Swapnilji,

The term ‘Vargottama’ relates to a planet being in the same raashi in Lagna and Navamsha.

Please understand that Navamsha or Dharmamsha is the main pivot on which the basic chart rotates. So, obviously it cannot be called ‘Vargottama’ for other D charts.

'Vargottama' or 'Uttam varga' means 'very good vargas'.

The method of finding which planets are functional and natural benefics/malefics is the same for Lagna chart and Navamsha charts.
For the Lagna chart we see the lordships from the Lagna; likewise, for the Navamsha chart we also see such lordships from the Navamsha Lagna.

Though the sign position of a planet is the same for vargottama, the Navamsha Lagna can be different from the lagna of the basic chart.

Why don’t you attempt to answer your own question regarding Leo lagna now?

We hope you are not mixing up charakarakas. Why does another planet other than Ketu need to be ‘Vargottama’?     Ketu can also be ‘Vargottama’. Can it not?
Naturally, if a planet is ‘Vargottama’, its karak and other significations would be more strengthened.
Regarding your next query…… ‘How the placement of vargottam planet will effect native say In D1 it is in lagna and in D9 in 6th or say vice versa (Pls also explain if lagna is vargottam).     Why don’t you try to attempt the question?  Mistakes are stepping stones to better learning.

vivek and RishiRahul

gaonkarswapnil

Post by gaonkarswapnil » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:31 pm

Give me time i try to attempt abt leo lagna

I was trying to figure about chara karakas only, as there in ketu is not considered

Yes ketu can be vargottam, if not wrong if ketu / mars vargottam in scorpio for dhanu lagna which also happen to be vargottama then person will attend moksha

I think if vargottam planet also happens to be one of charakaraka native may have good blessing with respect to it eg if MK is vargottam he may get very good mother even if it is badly placed in rashi and D9

OR

May be that bhava or rashi must be blessed

Regards

Swapnil
Swapnil from mumbai looking for future

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”