Lesson - 14. AMSHA KUNDALIS

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Lesson - 14. AMSHA KUNDALIS

Post by RishiRahul » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:16 am

Amsha Kundali – Divisional charts

Amsha kundali or the divisional charts is a speciality of Jyotish Shastra. These are charts where the Zodiac (Bhaa Chakra) is divided into more minute part. These charts are used to throw light on a particular facet of life of a native, unlike the Raashi Chakra which is much more broad based and general and shows the Jyotishi the outer aspect of life and the manifested details. It is called varga kundali or varga chakra (Varga means a class).

The Rashi chakra is also an Amsha kundali in that it divides the whole Bhaa Chakra into twelve parts. Same ways there are other charts which divided the whole Zodiac in many more parts (always in the multiples of twelve). So you must have got the meaning of the Sanskrit word Amsha. Amsha means a degree, a division or a part of the whole. Kundali means a coil or a spiral; it also means an ear ring.

There are Amsha kundalis which divde the whole Bhaa Chakra into Twenty four parts (Which is the same as dividing a whole Raashi into two), or there is one which divides the bhaa Chakra into 720 parts (60 x 12). There are many other higher divisions also mentioned in other classical texts as well as modern Jyotish literature and also in the Tradition (The Naadi division is one such famous Amsha), but these are beyond the scope and purview of this course.

Importance and use of Amsha Kundali

An Amsha kundali focuses particularly of a facet or part of life for which it is designated. Like there is one Amsha Kundali which we see specifically to know about the progenies of the native (Jaataka) in much more details than is possible with the Raashi Kundali. There is an Amsha Kundali to find about the parents of the Jaataka. There is other which can tell in great detail about the attainments or lack of it by the Jaataka in education.
Maharishi Paraashara in his book has delineated sixteen such divisional charts, other authors have added to the list. Then there are different ways of counting the Raashis in different Divisional charts given by different Authors. The Traditional Guru Shishya Parampara also has other secret reckonings of the different Amsha Kundalis.

Nomenclature

The Amsha Kundali is named mainly on the multiples of twelve that it is. Say for example there is a Amsha Kundli which divides the Zodiac nine times twelve (same as dividing the Raashi into nine parts) and therefore it is called Navaamsha (Nav means nine and Amsha means division). Sometimes an Amshaa Kundali is named according to the main focus of the Kundali (chart); say for example Navamsha is also called Dharmaamsha because the main focus of this divisional chart is to see the Dharma of the jaataka (native). Shri K N Rao developed a convenient way to name them, he simply calls them D-1, d-2, d-3 etc, d-1 means divisional chart one, d-2 means divisional chart in which a Raashi is divided into two parts and likewise for other divisional charts. The number of division of a raashi will show the Bhaava to be focused in the divisional chart; this means that in d-2 the bhaava of focus is the second bhaava. Likewise we can find the house to focus in other divisional charts.

See table below.

The sixteen Divisional charts taught by Maharishi Paraashara are: Raashi, Horaa, Dreshkaana, Turiyaamsha, Saptaamsha, Navaamsha, Dashaamsha, dwadashaamsha, Shodashaamsha, Vimshaamsha, Siddhaamsha, Nakshatraamsha, Trimshaamsha, Khavedaamsha, Akshavedaamsha and Shastyaamsha.

He has also given certain groups in which all divisional charts are not considered and tradition shows the use of each grouping for a particular purpose...........................to be posted in the next class

vivek and RishiRahul

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:07 pm

Dear Rishirahul ji,
Thank you for putting this lesson after long time.I was waiting for this one :-)
2 Quick questions
First of all since D-7 has got focus on 7th
house and D-5 on 5th.Thus it means placess where marriage is not actually a matter of Dharma(unlike india on general terms)there we shud consider D-5 MAINLY for childern unlike in india where D-7 is one of the main chart for kids(coz kids r related to mariage)after D-1. Also D-7 has to do more with marriage than D-9 outside india where traditions r not so strong or r not so much part of marriage(i dnt wanna sound offensive)

Secondly if D-24 has to do more with 12th house then why it is also considered for studying education of a native.Has it got more to do with education abroad(we can say  12th is 9th from 4th)

These r quick ones.Hope my questions r clear.

Thanking You
Raman

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Post by RishiRahul » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:17 am

Namashkaar Ramanji,

When the Rishis alloted meanings for divisional charts, they thought of everything.

Although 7th. house is Marriage, they alloted 9th. as they felt that Marriage and Dharma should be placed in a similar category, as Marriage is Dharma itself.

They placed D7 for children... it being the  'True' Fruit of Marriage.

D24 relates to formal and informal education.  12 house is important here because it stands for spirituality and meditation.
To attain proper education (formal and informal), we have to be 'devoted', for which proper/deep 'concentration' and 'meditation' is required.

Now we are going more into the'minds' of the 'Rishis'.

We hope we have been clear.

vivek and RishiRahul
RishiRahul.com
Astro-Palmist & Numerologist
Accurate timings & solutions to specific questions

vivekvshetty

If we may add

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:17 pm

Namaskaar raman ji,
As usual you are the only one who is participating the rest of the team is either absent or plainly not interested.
Anyways, if we may ask a counter question, why do you think D-12 has to do with Parents?The answer to this question will also provide you the answer to your question.

RishiRahul and vivek.

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:49 am

Thank you Vivek ji for as usual answering my question with your question :-) .I really appreciate u and rishirahul ji for giving answer this way i.e. by making questioner answer his question on his own.
I will try to answer this ASAP.

Regards,
Raman

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:39 pm

Namaskaar Raman ji,
We are glad that you understand, most would be put off by this way of approach. the reason for this is many like to be spoon fed and are happy not using the 'Dhi' for themselves.
but when the time for feild test comes many are found weak kneed and look for support when they should be the support of the person who has come to them for guidance.
There are so many things we planned initially at the start of this course, but such a poor participation puts us on our backfoot (some of the blame lies on us too for giving lessons after huge gaps! but this is unavoidable as we are also tied up with making a living and this is not by doing Jyotish btw). Like see this very important lesson and see how many people have veiwed it and the response it has got.

RishiRahul and vivek.
Raman Deep Singh wrote:Thank you Vivek ji for as usual answering my question with your question :-) .I really appreciate u and rishirahul ji for giving answer this way i.e. by making questioner answer his question on his own.
I will try to answer this ASAP.

Regards,
Raman

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:14 pm

Dear Vivek ji and Rishirahulji,
In Sikh we do sumthing which is called as "NITNEM"which is combination of 2 words:- NIT + NIYAM.Nit stands for regularly and Niyam stands for Discipline.Nitnem is combination of 5 paaths or prayers that u read,Same thing everyday regularly.The reason behind it(according to my little understanding and whatever i hav read till now)is that even if you manage to understand 1% of it at any point or time while reading it regularly,you will manage to understand a very small part of almighty.You actually get closer to understanding purpose of your life.

It is said by KN Rao that there r more than 20 million Shlokas written for astrology in india.If you manage to understand even 10% of it you play your part quite well.

Lord Vaman took just 3 steps to cover 3 lokas.That is less than 1/1000th of our steps per day.

IGNOU got much more students than IIT and IIM

What im trying to put here is that it is all about very small amount and percentage people try to cover.
Similarly even if small %age of your teaching gets across and makes us understand jyotish may be your purpose is solved :-)

Vivek ji as i always believe that everything and evreryone has got pros and cons.When you put lessons fast people say u r very fast.When u put lesons slow people say u r very slow.

When you dont put them people say you dont wanna share and when u put it people say u r showing off:-).I hav read this long time ago that best way of failure is to make everyone happy.Here I am not trying to be offensive towards anyone or criticise.

Moreover since people r not asking question please dont think that they r not understanding what u r talking about,may b they r satisfied with whatever view you r putting.
Look at the views your and rishirahul ji's lesons has got,lesson 5 has got around 9000 views and you can understand how important that leson is.thus u can c that people r readong and going thru your lessons but probably they r liking whatever both of you say and write.

I hope you realise that people do feel weired asking questions and get conscious before asking them.

Please do keep on writting.Everyone do wanna learn n understand this divine science.

Regards,
Raman

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:08 pm

Namaskaar Raman ji,
A huge Thank you for making us aware of the other side of the coin. We appreciate it. This will keep us going many steps.
BTW 'Nit' means eternal, we think and Niyam means limits we make or accept for over selves and do not cross.

RishiRahul and vivek.
Raman Deep Singh wrote:Dear Vivek ji and Rishirahulji,
In Sikh we do sumthing which is called as "NITNEM"which is combination of 2 words:- NIT + NIYAM.Nit stands for regularly and Niyam stands for Discipline.Nitnem is combination of 5 paaths or prayers that u read,Same thing everyday regularly.The reason behind it(according to my little understanding and whatever i hav read till now)is that even if you manage to understand 1% of it at any point or time while reading it regularly,you will manage to understand a very small part of almighty.You actually get closer to understanding purpose of your life.

It is said by KN Rao that there r more than 20 million Shlokas written for astrology in india.If you manage to understand even 10% of it you play your part quite well.

Lord Vaman took just 3 steps to cover 3 lokas.That is less than 1/1000th of our steps per day.

IGNOU got much more students than IIT and IIM

What im trying to put here is that it is all about very small amount and percentage people try to cover.
Similarly even if small %age of your teaching gets across and makes us understand jyotish may be your purpose is solved :-)

Vivek ji as i always believe that everything and evreryone has got pros and cons.When you put lessons fast people say u r very fast.When u put lesons slow people say u r very slow.

When you dont put them people say you dont wanna share and when u put it people say u r showing off:-).I hav read this long time ago that best way of failure is to make everyone happy.Here I am not trying to be offensive towards anyone or criticise.

Moreover since people r not asking question please dont think that they r not understanding what u r talking about,may b they r satisfied with whatever view you r putting.
Look at the views your and rishirahul ji's lesons has got,lesson 5 has got around 9000 views and you can understand how important that leson is.thus u can c that people r readong and going thru your lessons but probably they r liking whatever both of you say and write.

I hope you realise that people do feel weired asking questions and get conscious before asking them.

Please do keep on writting.Everyone do wanna learn n understand this divine science.

Regards,
Raman

RishiRahul
Astrology Reader

Lesson 14 on Amsha Kundali... continued..

Post by RishiRahul » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:47 pm

Certain groups in which all divisional charts are not considered and tradition shows the use of each grouping for a particular purpose

Varga or Amsha Schemes
1)Shadvarga (six varga scheme): This group consists of Raashi, Horaa, Drekkana, Navaamsha, Dwaadashaamsha andTrimshaamsha. This is used in Prashna or Horary Astrology.

2)Sapta varga (seven varga scheme): All the divisional charts of the Shadvarga scheme plus the Saptaamsha. This is used in Muhuratha (electional Astrology) and in mundane predictions (predictions about nations, world, rains, earthquakes etc.).

3)Dashavarga (ten varga scheme): in addition to the varga charts used in the Saptaamsha scheme Dashaamsha, Shodashaamsha and Shashtyaamsha charts are used. This is used in natal horoscopy or what is called the birth chart of living beings.

4)Shodashavarga Scheme: This contains all the sixteen divisional charts taught by Paraashara and was in the old days used only for Royalty but is today used for everyone.  

Some points to remember
1.Divisional charts show the internal aspect of a particular facet of life of the jaataka (native), whereas the Raashi chart (D-1) shows the external manifestation.

2.Divisional charts give depth to our understanding of the problems that are not visible externally. This helps us to have a multi dimensional understanding of the person and the problems. Thus we can go closer to the root of a problem and give much better advice.

3.Many a times the things shown in a divisional chart overrides the reading from a Raashi chart.

4.Each division of a Divisional chart has a particular deity and these are not only useful for remedial measures (The most important part of Jyotish, otherwise Jyotish becomes meaningless) but also help to understand the undercurrents of a Graha placed in a particular Amsha.

5.Divisional charts represent a very important concept of life – All life grows in spiral or everything in this universe has spiral motion (Ever tried to visualize Chandra’s motion around the Earths ecliptic?). That is why a Chart is called a Kundali in Jyotish.
Methodology of calculating a Divisional chart:
We have already seen how the Zodiac is divded into the multiples of 12 i.e. 360/ (12 x n). This is the same as dividing each Raashi by the same multiplier ‘n’. say for example D – 2 or Horaa chart is 12x 2 or 24 divisions of the Zodiac. This is the same as dividing a whole raashi of 30 degrees into two parts of 15 degrees each.
Another example: D-9 or Navaamsha or Dharmaamsha is 360 / (12 x 9), this is the same as dividing a whole Raashi by 9. Dividing 30 degrees by 9 we get 3 deg. 20 min. Each division is again a Raashi, thus there are Raashis within Raashis.
There are different methods of counting the Raashis in the divisions (each division is again a Raashi, thus there are Raashis within Raashis). The standard method is of sequential counting. There are other methods of allotting raashis which are irregular or mathematical.
As an example the Navaamshas in Mesha will start from Mesha and end in Dhanu, then Vrishabha will have Navaamsha  starting from Makara and end in Kanyaa. Say Shukra is in 10 deg. 46 min. of mesha so it is in the 4th Navaamsha in Mesha raashi. Counting four from Mesha we get Karka and so when drawing up a Navaamsha chart we put Shukra in Mesha. Thus other Grahas are also noted down in the Navamshaa Chakra.
If it sounds too complicated for now, don’t worry. We will be taking up the method of drawing each Amsha Kundali separately and given detailed explanations of the calculation involved with examples.

Drawback of reading an Amsha Kundali.
Many of the higher divisional charts are very sensitive to time changes so a very accurate birth time is desirable but hardly encountered. Which means that, if the time of birth is not accurate then (even a difference of a couple of minutes) it will change the whole complexion of the divisional chart. The Lagna will change very fast in Divisional charts and so the reading of a chart with a wrong Lagna will not match the actual events.

To be continued:

vivek and RishiRahul
Last edited by RishiRahul on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:30 am

Dear Vivek ji and Rishirahul ji,
Back to my question.
I think D-12 is mainly related to parents because  since we r talking about parents we shud  consider 4th house(mother) +9th house(father) = 12.Thus D-12 is given more importance to understand about parents or we can more about spiritual/deeper meaning of parents in our life rather than superficial or external level.

Also 1 reason which i can understand is that since 12th house is very much related to Moksha and in many places it is mentioned that serving parents(mom +  dad)is also the way to attain Moksha thus D-12 has got more to do with parents/Moksha.

This wat i have understood.Please rectify me and make me understand better.

Regards,
Raman

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:35 am

[quote="RishiRahul"]Namashkaar Ramanji,

When the Rishis alloted meanings for divisional charts, they thought of everything.

Although 7th. house is Marriage, they alloted 9th. as they felt that Marriage and Dharma should be placed in a similar category, as Marriage is Dharma itself.

They placed D7 for children... it being the  'True' Fruit of Marriage.

D24 relates to formal and informal education.  12 house is important here because it stands for spirituality and meditation.
To attain proper education (formal and informal), we have to be 'devoted', for which proper/deep 'concentration' and 'meditation' is required.

Now we are going more into the'minds' of the 'Rishis'.

We hope we have been clear.

vivek and RishiRahul[/quote]

Dear Rishirahul ji,
Thank you for replying.I do understand what u r saying here but i was asking bout conditions when we r dealing with sumone from place where u dnt need to have a mariage to have kids.
You dnt need to have a marriage to have a relationship.

Sex is not a criteria for havings kids(test tube babies).

So will we still consider D-9 for mariage and D-7 for kids there.

Regards,
Raman

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:45 am

Dear Vivek ji,
I forgot to reply to ur message.
May be you r right.My knowledge may not be as good as your and thus may b u r right about definition
of NITNEM.
Niyam i think u r definetely able to put its meaning in much better way than me coz thats wat i actually meant.
But i m not sure about definition of NIT.What i always thought of it was NIT means everyday or regularly...

I remember reading that "Hume NIT din subah uth ke bhagwan ka nam lena chahiya"(We shud take almighty's name EVERYDAY(nit) after waking up in morning).

But I may wrong.
Thanking you
Raman

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:39 pm

Namaskaar Raman ji,
the Bhaava which preceeds the Lagna is the !2th.

RishiRahul and vivek.

quote="Raman Deep Singh"]Dear Vivek ji and Rishirahul ji,
Back to my question.
I think D-12 is mainly related to parents because  since we r talking about parents we shud  consider 4th house(mother) +9th house(father) = 12.Thus D-12 is given more importance to understand about parents or we can more about spiritual/deeper meaning of parents in our life rather than superficial or external level.

Also 1 reason which i can understand is that since 12th house is very much related to Moksha and in many places it is mentioned that serving parents(mom +  dad)is also the way to attain Moksha thus D-12 has got more to do with parents/Moksha.

This wat i have understood.Please rectify me and make me understand better.

Regards,
Raman[/quote]

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:12 am

Dear Vivek ji,
Thank you for your reply..Can you be bit more elaborate about what you said.
But before you tell me to,let me write my understanding :-)
Because parents r the result of anyone's birth thus they r to be considered from D-12 i.ie just before creation of lagna(i.e.before trueself of a native)

In easier words they become reason for creation of a native(lagna)after distruction of body(12th house)of native in previous birth.

I did to reply yesterday but i think something is seriously wrong with Database of mysticboard
Regards,
Raman

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:57 pm

Namaskaar Raman ji,
An example will make it clearer as you are very close to the understanding. Suppose Meena is the Lagna then, just before it ascended, kumbha was the Lagna. Now when meena was rising kumbha went to the twelfth Bhaava. So we may say that the twelfth Bhaava represents the collective past from the moment just before the Jaatak's birth and for everyone of us the past associated with our parents is the most important. This has a very important effect on the person's life.
Now what about the D-24?

rishirahul and vivek.

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”