Lesson 15. Space and Time.

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

prasanna

Post by prasanna » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:54 am

Namaskaar Vivekji,

From yesterday I am searching for the relevance of shasti thithi  to surya chhath puja. But I could not . Today I found the beautiful post of our Govardhanji regarding the manifestation of various deities., in vedic astrology forum.   Let me post the following here from that post. .

KARTIKEYA
Describing Kartikeya's manifestation and how his worship got associated with the auspicious day of shashthi,sage Mahatapa told king Prajapal-Once,a fierce battle was between the deities and demons in which the deities got defeated.The reason behind their defeat was the absence of an able commander who could lead them.The deities went to seek the help of lord Brahma.Being unable to solve their problem,lord Brahma took the deities to lord Shiva.
Lord Shiva invoked 'Shakti' present within his body and thus manifested lord Kartikeya.He was named after the six 'Kritikas' who had nurtured him by feeding their breast milk.Lord shiva then made Kartikeya the commander of the deities on the auspicious day of shashthi.Under his able leadership,the deities finally managed to defeat the demons.
A devotee who worships lord Kartikeya on shashthi enjoys prosperity and gets all his desire fulfilled. A childless couple must worship on this auspicious day to get blessed with a son.

LORD ADITYA
King Prajapal asked Mahatapa-"The thought of divine radiance taking the form of human radiance bewilders me.Please clear my doubts."
Sage Mahatapa replied -"When the almighty God willed to manifest himself in other tangible forms,an effulgence emanated from his being resulting into the creation of 'Surya'(The Sun).The whole world became illumined with Surya's radiance and all the deities dwelling within the body of Almighty God expressed their gratitude.Initially,unbearable heat emanated from 'Surya',causing great uncomfort to the deities but later on Almighty God reduced it to bearable limit at the request of the deities.Surya had manifested himself on the auspicious day of 'saptami' hence this particular day became deeply associated with the worship of Surya.

From this we can find out the importance of shasthi thithi and its association with lord Karthikeya. We all know in South India   we observe  Skanda shashti vrath  on the same day when  the Surya shashti  vrath is observed in North India especially in Bihar and UP. This surya chat is not only related to shashti , it is continued in the next day Sapthami thithi too. Evening Argya is done on sunset on shashti and Morning Argya is done by the people on Sapthami thithi, during sunrise. . As I stayed in Bihar( Patna)  for 3 years I happened to witness this festival for 3 continues  years. Moreover we all know Ratha sapthami is celebrated all over India  as Surya Jayanthi festival  during January or February every year. So I see the relevance of Sapthami  to Surya dev more than Shashti thithi. But still wondering why Surya shashti? Both this festivals, Skanda shashti and  Surya shashti falls on karthik maas , when karthik star and shashti thithi combines together every year. This is the time  we witness the onset of winter season.  More over the star Karthik is the star of Surya. So I feel, Surya shashti is related to karthik star which falls on the same day of shashti. So Lord Karthikeya and Surya are worshiped on the same day . This is my own assumption and I dont know whether Iam rite or not.

In your earlier post you have written, 'Kaal chakra is the base for all the remedial measures, specially those advised in the various Nadi granthas".    So , by worshiping the relevant deities on the auspicious thithi 's  and  Nakshthras  , we come to know ,  one can  get  blessings  of  different deities , who are all the inseparable form of Lord Hari or Vishnu. .

Regards,
prasanna

LEAD, KINDLY LIGHT. LOVE IS GOD, LOVE IS OCEAN, " Love Is Eternal. " LIVE TO LOVE TO LIVE.

mysbcrs

Post by mysbcrs » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:56 am

Namaskaar Vivekji,
My query was on the Tithi of worship. Likewise i think Lord Kartikeya is also worshipped on a Shasthi.
Sorry, forgot that Su entering last paad of Chitta may not happen on the shasti always. But as you pointed out, Ve opposite to Su lords over Shasti. May be (just a thought) the puja is for Su (invoking the strength of lord of the place where he will be in fall, of-course ultimately for our own good!) rather than praying to Su.

Also your remark on Karthikeya and Goverdhanji's post on various deities shows that the thithis and planets are not aligned to those principles as well. For e.g, shashti being auspicious for worshipping Karthikeya, I would have expected Mangal to be in place of Shukra.

CRS
CRS

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:25 pm

Namaskaar Prasanna ji,
Yes! as usual great knowledge from Govardhan ji.
We wont be going too much into the remedial aspect of Jyotish for this course because for the simple reason that one has to have the ability to predict or even postdict (if there is a better word, i am unaware) an event and the Graha/s giving the problem, before recommending any remedies.
SO we will save it for later.
For those in a hurry, there is always the Kaalachakra diagram to meditate on.
RishiRahul and vivek.

prasanna wrote:Namaskaar Vivekji,

From yesterday I am searching for the relevance of shasti thithi  to surya chhath puja. But I could not . Today I found the beautiful post of our Govardhanji regarding the manifestation of various deities., in vedic astrology forum.   Let me post the following here from that post. .

KARTIKEYA
Describing Kartikeya's manifestation and how his worship got associated with the auspicious day of shashthi,sage Mahatapa told king Prajapal-Once,a fierce battle was between the deities and demons in which the deities got defeated.The reason behind their defeat was the absence of an able commander who could lead them.The deities went to seek the help of lord Brahma.Being unable to solve their problem,lord Brahma took the deities to lord Shiva.
Lord Shiva invoked 'Shakti' present within his body and thus manifested lord Kartikeya.He was named after the six 'Kritikas' who had nurtured him by feeding their breast milk.Lord shiva then made Kartikeya the commander of the deities on the auspicious day of shashthi.Under his able leadership,the deities finally managed to defeat the demons.
A devotee who worships lord Kartikeya on shashthi enjoys prosperity and gets all his desire fulfilled. A childless couple must worship on this auspicious day to get blessed with a son.

LORD ADITYA
King Prajapal asked Mahatapa-"The thought of divine radiance taking the form of human radiance bewilders me.Please clear my doubts."
Sage Mahatapa replied -"When the almighty God willed to manifest himself in other tangible forms,an effulgence emanated from his being resulting into the creation of 'Surya'(The Sun).The whole world became illumined with Surya's radiance and all the deities dwelling within the body of Almighty God expressed their gratitude.Initially,unbearable heat emanated from 'Surya',causing great uncomfort to the deities but later on Almighty God reduced it to bearable limit at the request of the deities.Surya had manifested himself on the auspicious day of 'saptami' hence this particular day became deeply associated with the worship of Surya.

From this we can find out the importance of shasthi thithi and its association with lord Karthikeya. We all know in South India   we observe  Skanda shashti vrath  on the same day when  the Surya shashti  vrath is observed in North India especially in Bihar and UP. This surya chat is not only related to shashti , it is continued in the next day Sapthami thithi too. Evening Argya is done on sunset on shashti and Morning Argya is done by the people on Sapthami thithi, during sunrise. . As I stayed in Bihar( Patna)  for 3 years I happened to witness this festival for 3 continues  years. Moreover we all know Ratha sapthami is celebrated all over India  as Surya Jayanthi festival  during January or February every year. So I see the relevance of Sapthami  to Surya dev more than Shashti thithi. But still wondering why Surya shashti? Both this festivals, Skanda shashti and  Surya shashti falls on karthik maas , when karthik star and shashti thithi combines together every year. This is the time  we witness the onset of winter season.  More over the star Karthik is the star of Surya. So I feel, Surya shashti is related to karthik star which falls on the same day of shashti. So Lord Karthikeya and Surya are worshiped on the same day . This is my own assumption and I dont know whether Iam rite or not.

In your earlier post you have written, 'Kaal chakra is the base for all the remedial measures, specially those advised in the various Nadi granthas".    So , by worshiping the relevant deities on the auspicious thithi 's  and  Nakshthras  , we come to know ,  one can  get  blessings  of  different deities , who are all the inseparable form of Lord Hari or Vishnu. .

Regards,

vivekvshetty

Combine the Two Chakras.

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:21 am

Namaskaar all,
Now if we combine the two Chakras together, may be a few things will get more clearer.

The attachment is of an image by Sarajit Poddar, Another Jyotish Guru from SJC.

RishiRahul and vivek.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mysbcrs

Post by mysbcrs » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:12 pm

Namaskaar Vivekji,

Sorry for going back on this topic. I have a few doubts.
The Wheel of Time moves and the Axel does not move, the wheel is the territory of the Divine mother, this is her game field and we all are turned, twisted or tossed aside by here divine play.The upward direction of the axel are the Heavens or the upper Lokas ( Bhuvar, Swarga, Mahar, Janah, Tapah and Satya).
the Vertical downward direction of the Axel are the Tala (the nether world) we have to keep clear from this.

While the eight grahas rule elements of time, reference to upward and downward direction appear to be unrelated to time. They are of-course relevant for dik-chakra. Essentially, I could not understand what we mean by upward/downward wrt to time.

CRS
CRS

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:14 am

Namaskaar CRS ji,
The Kaalachakra is the concept of time. The upward and downward directions are the various Lokas described in the scriptures, there is either a progression upwards or falling downwards due to the karmas performed by a person. The time applies even to the other lokas but they may have other concepts of it.
Remember the story of a king going with his daughter to Brahma loka to ask Brahmaa ji for the best match for his daughter? They had to wait a few moments outside as Brahmaa ji was busy, by that time the Earth time had progressed by many yugas. Eventually he got her married to Lord Balaraama.
The upwards and downward direction is the Shiva linga with the petals of the Kaalachakra as the Yoni.

Rishirahul and vivek.
mysbcrs wrote:Namaskaar Vivekji,

Sorry for going back on this topic. I have a few doubts.
The Wheel of Time moves and the Axel does not move, the wheel is the territory of the Divine mother, this is her game field and we all are turned, twisted or tossed aside by here divine play.The upward direction of the axel are the Heavens or the upper Lokas ( Bhuvar, Swarga, Mahar, Janah, Tapah and Satya).
the Vertical downward direction of the Axel are the Tala (the nether world) we have to keep clear from this.

While the eight grahas rule elements of time, reference to upward and downward direction appear to be unrelated to time. They are of-course relevant for dik-chakra. Essentially, I could not understand what we mean by upward/downward wrt to time.

CRS

kandhan.t

Post by kandhan.t » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:35 am

Vivekji,

You generally use green coloured fonts at the start of each chapter(for a particular reason). But you made an exception for this lesson and also lesson 17.  Any particular reason?

"The kaala chakra is not all auspicious and there are some very negative energies associated with it. As Jyotish we should steer clear from all negative energies located in the Kaalachakra. In fact we are advised to not even name the energy levels (The negative ones) because naming them is invoking them. "

Are you referring to the nether worlds here?  Could you elaborate a bit more about staying clear of negative energies?

"One of the primary uses of this is that it shows us as to how to utilize the day. Divide the whole day of 24 hours into 8 parts, starting from 6 o'clock in the morning each 1\8 th part will be ruled as per the kaalachakra. the first 3 hours is ruled by the Surya, next is ruled by Mangal, followed by Guru, Bhudha, Shukra, Shani, Chandra and Raahu respectively. During the day the activity shown by the Graha ruling the Kaala for that part of the day is beneficial and will give good results. Many adepts adapted themselves according to the kaalachakra for their daily routine."

"The whole Day from 6 am to the next morning 6am is divided into eight parts. The first part is ruled by Surya (eastern direction). Hence the activity favored is going to the temple, praying etc. The second part is ruled by mangal (south east), A time for strenuous physical workout, energy level is maximum. Third part is ruled by Guru. Recite lord Vishnu's name/s. eat well. Fourth part is ruled by Budha. This is a time for play as well as for learning. fifth part is ruled by Shukra. A time for pleasures and to spend time with spouse. finish food by this time. Sixth part is ruled by shani. Time for rest and sleep.  
good time for Tapasyaa. Seventh is rued by chandra. It is a time to rest the mind, . yogis spend this time meditating for perfect mind control. The last part is ruled by Raahu. this is the time when theives are most active as most people are fast asleep and almost like dead. This is the time of Brahma Muhuratha, A wise person does japa during this time, trying to get out of the clutches of Raahu. Again the day dawns with Sun infusing life ith his golden rays. "

This concept is very similar to that of hora although the order seems fixed here and the activities are physical while in hora its the activities signified by the grahas and the order keeps changing according to the day.  Is this a general way to conduct activities during all days?  I would like your comments on this.

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:40 am

Namaskaar Kandhan ji,
Our replies below in Green!
kandhan.t wrote:Vivekji,

You generally use green coloured fonts at the start of each chapter(for a particular reason). But you made an exception for this lesson and also lesson 17.  Any particular reason?
Nothing particular, just plain laziness perhaps.
"The kaala chakra is not all auspicious and there are some very negative energies associated with it. As Jyotish we should steer clear from all negative energies located in the Kaalachakra. In fact we are advised to not even name the energy levels (The negative ones) because naming them is invoking them. "

Are you referring to the nether worlds here?  Could you elaborate a bit more about staying clear of negative energies?
Yes, we are referring to the Talaas. It is said that a Soul is sent to the tala to experience the punishment for deeds done against Dharma. naming the talas is invoking the negative energies and akin to inviting.

"One of the primary uses of this is that it shows us as to how to utilize the day. Divide the whole day of 24 hours into 8 parts, starting from 6 o'clock in the morning each 1\8 th part will be ruled as per the kaalachakra. the first 3 hours is ruled by the Surya, next is ruled by Mangal, followed by Guru, Bhudha, Shukra, Shani, Chandra and Raahu respectively. During the day the activity shown by the Graha ruling the Kaala for that part of the day is beneficial and will give good results. Many adepts adapted themselves according to the kaalachakra for their daily routine."

"The whole Day from 6 am to the next morning 6am is divided into eight parts. The first part is ruled by Surya (eastern direction). Hence the activity favored is going to the temple, praying etc. The second part is ruled by mangal (south east), A time for strenuous physical workout, energy level is maximum. Third part is ruled by Guru. Recite lord Vishnu's name/s. eat well. Fourth part is ruled by Budha. This is a time for play as well as for learning. fifth part is ruled by Shukra. A time for pleasures and to spend time with spouse. finish food by this time. Sixth part is ruled by shani. Time for rest and sleep.  
good time for Tapasyaa. Seventh is rued by chandra. It is a time to rest the mind, . yogis spend this time meditating for perfect mind control. The last part is ruled by Raahu. this is the time when theives are most active as most people are fast asleep and almost like dead. This is the time of Brahma Muhuratha, A wise person does japa during this time, trying to get out of the clutches of Raahu. Again the day dawns with Sun infusing life ith his golden rays. "

This concept is very similar to that of hora although the order seems fixed here and the activities are physical while in hora its the activities signified by the grahas and the order keeps changing according to the day.  Is this a general way to conduct activities during all days?  I would like your comments on this.
This is the fixed Kaalachakra motion and in the Satya Sanaatana this was used for allotting activities to each part ruled by the different grahas. This is the the routine followed by the Rishis.
Then there is a daily Kaalachakra starting from the Weekday lord Starting from the Sunrise. Which is why Raahu kaala timings change every weekday. Much like the Horaa.
In the Horaa chakra we are sure of the reason of allotting a particular order to the grahas. Shani, Guru, Mangal, Surya, Shukra, Budha and Chandra. This is the descending order of their average motions. Shani takes the longest to complete a revolution and chandra the shortest. here we can also see the reason for allotting the Raashi Lordships. Plus the wheel is continuous. not so the kaalachakra.

RishiRahul and vivek.

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”