Lesson 15. Space and Time.

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

Raman Deep Singh

Post by Raman Deep Singh » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:48 pm

Ya Vivek ji but in his chart only 2 planets jup and Sun r  getting max dig bala.
but if you explain their part in his life that also would be great...Defenetely as chapter progresses...:-)

Regards,
Raman

vivekvshetty

Re: The Deities assosiated.

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:53 am

Namaskaar all,
One correction to the lesson.
The deity lording the Easten direction is Indra the King of the Devaas (Lit Shinning ones) or the ruler of Swarga (Heaven ?)

RishiRahul and vivek.
vivekvshetty wrote:The Guardians of the Directions - Dikpaala (दिक्पाल) are the deities who rule the specific directions of space according to Satya Sanaatana . When with eight deities, they're called Aṣṭa-Dikpaala अष्ट-दिक्पाल, literally meaning guardians of eight directions. They are often augmented with two extra deities for the ten directions (the two extra directions being zenith and nadir, when they are known as the Dasa-dikpaala. (from wikipedia).

The deities are:
East (Poorva or Praachi, Praak) is Surya.

South East (Aagneya or Agni Kona) is Agni the God of fire or Energy, transformation and creation.

South (Dakshina or Avaachi) is Yama the god of death.

South West (Nairrtya) is Nairritti the Demon.

West (Paschima,Pratīchi or Apara) is Varuuna the God of Water, purity and cleanliness.

North West (Vaayavya) is Vaayu the wind god showing movement and strength.

North (Uttara, Udīchi) is Kubera the God of wealth.

North East (eeshaanya) is Eesha or Shiva the Aadi Guru (First Guru of almost all traditions of Yoga and Tantra)

Vertical upwards (oordhva) is Annanta or Vishnu.

Vertical downwards (Atha) is Brahma.

RishiRahul and vivek.

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:22 am

Namaskaar Raman ji,
Very true, Have not both the Grahas given him the direction of His Life? But amonst both which is the Stronger? Both are exalted, so how to judge? one way is to find which is the strongest Bhaava, 1st or the 10th? second what was the direction of life He followed and how true he was to it.

waiting for inputs not only from Raman ji.
RishiRahul and vivek.
Raman Deep Singh wrote:Ya Vivek ji but in his chart only 2 planets jup and Sun r  getting max dig bala.
but if you explain their part in his life that also would be great...Defenetely as chapter progresses...:-)

Regards,
Raman

vivekvshetty

The Dig Paalas and Directions.

Post by vivekvshetty » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:35 pm

Namaskaar All,
For a quick recapitulation.
We have seen that there are ten directions for a person to follow or shall we say direct her/his life towards.
These are the Physical directions as well as the mental ones.
We have seen the Grahas associated with each of the directions as well as the Deities of the Directions.
It would be better for those new to the names of the deities to do some search and self study to find out the details and stories depicting them. The spouses of each and the weapons used by them as also their vehicle.
We will be not listing them here.

Now we come to what these mental directions mean. remember a Graha having Dig bala from the Lagna will show success in the mental direction indicated by it and we as Jyotish can help in guiding the person to the favorable directions.  

So what are these mental direction?

East- Surya - Indra.
This is the direction of leadership, Ruler ship and Politics.

South East - Shukra - Agni.
This is the direction of creativity and transformation. All things connected to Arts, engineering etc.

South - Mangal - Yama.
This is the direction of the fighter, soldier.

South West - Raahu - Nairritti.
This is the direction of crossing boundaries, finding new ways of doing things.

West - Shani - Varuna.
This is the direction of cleaning andpurifying.

North West - Chandra - vaayu.
This is the direction of healing and strength.  

North - Budha - Kubera.
This is the direction of commerce and business of making money.

North East - Guru - Ishaana (Eeshaana).
This is the direction of True Knowledge and teaching.

RishiRahul and vivek.

vivekvshetty

The opposite.

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:08 am

Namaskaar All,
We have seen the Dig bala Bhaava of various Grahas.
What if the Graha is placed in the opposite Bhaava? If so placed then the graha is said to be weak dig bala or no Dig bala.
Like Surya in 4th is said to have no digbala, Chandra will have no Dig bala if Placed in the 10th. Like wise for other Grahas.
Normally Natives having Grahas with no Dig bala in their chart will not like the mental direction of that Graha.
Remember mental direction means the direction of the intelligence.

A native with Surya in the fourth will hate politics and politicians. Likewise read for other Grahas.
RishiRahul and vivek.

vivekvshetty

Physical directions.

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:01 pm

Namaskaar All,
First let us introduce to you a new concept. It is called the Aaroodha Lagna (some spell it as Arudha). This is a special reference point in a horoscope just like the Lagna. It has special meaning and uses. Bhaavas are also reckoned from this reference Raashi just as the bhaavas are reckoned from Lagna. In Jagannath Hora this is denoted as AL (Short for Aaroodha lagna).
Soon we will cover this very important part of Jyotish Study. Till then just find the Al from Jhora (it calculates for you).

Grahas having Dig bala from Aaroodha Lagna show the physical direction suitable for the Native. Travel or residence in that direction is profitable.
As an Example Say  a chart has Guru in the first in Aaroodha Lagna then the native should try to travel North-East from his birth place to achieve success.  The reason for this is the Digbala of Guru in the Aaroodha Lagna.
Another example is , suppose Shani is in the seventh from Aaroodha Lagna then travel or residence towards West would be good.

RishiRahul and vivek.

JaiDixit

Re: The opposite.

Post by JaiDixit » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:11 am

vivekvshetty wrote:Namaskaar All,
We have seen the Dig bala Bhaava of various Grahas.
What if the Graha is placed in the opposite Bhaava? If so placed then the graha is said to be weak dig bala or no Dig bala.
Like Surya in 4th is said to have no digbala, Chandra will have no Dig bala if Placed in the 10th. Like wise for other Grahas.
Normally Natives having Grahas with no Dig bala in their chart will not like the mental direction of that Graha.
Remember mental direction means the direction of the intelligence.

A native with Surya in the fourth will hate politics and politicians. Likewise read for other Grahas.
RishiRahul and vivek.
Dear RishiRahulji and Vivekji,
1) Is Dig bala measurable in terms of the house a planet occupies ?
2) Does planetary conjunctions matter when Dig bala is computed ?
3) What if the planet is a Killer planet for a particular lagna and has Dig bala ? An example would be for Dhanu lagna Saturn (a killer planet) placed in 7th house from Lagna. How do we intrepret the situation since Saturn gains directional strength here ?

Sorry if this is going to be covered as the lesson unfolds.

Thanks,
Jai

vivekvshetty

Re: The opposite.

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:25 pm

JaiDixit wrote: Dear RishiRahulji and Vivekji,
1) Is Dig bala measurable in terms of the house a planet occupies ?
2) Does planetary conjunctions matter when Dig bala is computed ?
3) What if the planet is a Killer planet for a particular lagna and has Dig bala ? An example would be for Dhanu lagna Saturn (a killer planet) placed in 7th house from Lagna. How do we intrepret the situation since Saturn gains directional strength here ?

Sorry if this is going to be covered as the lesson unfolds.

Thanks,
Jai
Namaskaar Jai ji,
There is a mathematical measure of Dig bala given in Sripathi Paddhathi, i think. We are not going to the maths involved at least for the present.
A Graha placed in the Bhaava it gains Digbala is taken to be Digbali and we do not see the Actual degrees from the Mid point of the Bhaava. This is the practice actually.

Dig bala is not concerned with conjunctions as they are two different aspects of Jyotish and used for different purposes. Try not to mix the two initially. Read them separately at least for the present level.  

The same goes for Maaraka Graha if it has Dig bala. It may have a special connotation for which, we have to combine the two. To do this we have to be very clear as to the meaning and usage of both the terms. We have to know the hows and the whys and the whens.
Regarding the Digbala, we know the Grahas get Digbala because of their Tatvas vibrate with the Bhaavas. For example Budha and Guru get Dig bala in the first bhaava. What is the first Bhaava? It is the Easern Horizon and the Rising point, It is a revelation, The point where the Earth and the Sky meet. Budha is Prithvi (earth element) and Guru is Aakaasha (Space or Sky element).
Mangal and Surya get Digbali in the Tenth. Both are Agni (Fire element) and Tenth Bhaava is directly overhead and represents Afternoon, the hottest part of the day.
We now know the How and why, what remains is the When part.
When a Graha gets Digbali it gives us Directions of the things signified by it. The mind readily follows that direction, it comes naturally. A person with Surya in the Tenth Bhaava will be a natural leader and a person with Mangal in the Tenth will be a natural soldier.

Then there was a question asked by Raman ji. He had asked , if there were many Grahas Dig bali in a chart which one will dominate?
The twelve bhaavas have natural strengths. Amonst them the Kendras are the strongest and amongst the Kendras The Tenth is the Strongest followed by the seventh then Fourth and the first brings up the rear.
Two or more Grahas if have Digbala in a chart the Kendra which dominates will surely have more weight age and hence the Graha placed in it and having Dig bala will dominate.
If two or more Grahas are in Digbala in the same Bhaava, then look for the Status ( Exalted, Moolatrikona, own sign, friends sign neutral sign or enemies sign).
The deities associated with the Dig tell us a lot of the Direction. Learn more on them.

One more thing we could not help noticing - You asked question in the latest lesson, does it mean you have no questions on any previous lessons or is it that you have not gone through it?  

RishiRahul and vivek.

JaiDixit

Post by JaiDixit » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:24 pm

Thank you RishiRahulji and Vivekji

As a neophyte, I do have a lot of questions on other topics as well. I wasn't sure if the students need to confine their questions on the lessons in progress or not.If I may be permitted, I shall post my questions on the relavant lessons.

Regards,
Jai

PS: I feel a little uncomfortable when I'm addressed with ji as I'm junior both in age and knowledge.

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:33 pm

JaiDixit wrote:Thank you RishiRahulji and Vivekji

As a neophyte, I do have a lot of questions on other topics as well. I wasn't sure if the students need to confine their questions on the lessons in progress or not.If I may be permitted, I shall post my questions on the relavant lessons.

Regards,
Jai

PS: I feel a little uncomfortable when I'm addressed with ji as I'm junior both in age and knowledge.
Namaskaar Jai ji,
First of all let us clarify about the 'ji'
'ji' means Jagannath inside you and does not refer to you. Can anyone deny it?

The course is not iron clad and there is total flexibility for the learner.
Many, or we may say all the lessons are incomplete and many more things have to be added. This will be done when the time is ripe for it. Post questions on any lessons in the thread of the lesson, this is for future learners also. So in a way your question will teach something to other learners and by default you also are a teacher of this course.

RishiRahul and vivek.

prasanna

Post by prasanna » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:24 pm

Dear RIshiji and VIvekji, Namashkar,

I have posted a query regarding Utcha bhanga  in previous lesson.U have posted it as separate  topic in Vedic astrology forum.I have not yet received any explanations to that till date. I thank u both for posting it as new topic.But I wish atleast YOu both should carry forward that useful topic, so that we learners can know more about that.  Thanks a lot for doing that .

More over one day I asked u Rishiji what is Arudha pada and Arudha lagna,?  the word meaning, now I got answer from Vivekji's document. Arudha Denotes MOUNT.Thanks Vivekji. I trust we can know more about  this calculations in this lesson.

Regards,
prasanna

LEAD, KINDLY LIGHT. LOVE IS GOD, LOVE IS OCEAN, " Love Is Eternal. " LIVE TO LOVE TO LIVE.

prasanna

Post by prasanna » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:56 am

Dear Vivekji and Rishiji ,

Grahas having Dig bala from Aaroodha Lagna show the physical direction suitable for the Native. Travel or residence in that direction is profitable.
As an Example Say  a chart has Guru in the first in Aaroodha Lagna then the native should try to travel North-East from his birth place to achieve success.  The reason for this is the Digbala of Guru in the Aaroodha Lagna.
Another example is , suppose Shani is in the seventh from Aaroodha Lagna then travel or residence towards West would be good.

RishiRahul and vivek.

Reading the above lines I got one doubt. I read about " Astro carto graphy " or in other words, "Locational Astrology ". Is this Arudha Lagna and this  Astro carto graphic pointers are similar ? I feel that Locational astrology is western concept . My doubt here is , Is there some similarity between these two? Shall we study the advantages of locations as the same way  in that locational Astro here?   If i am wrong , Please ignore this doubt.  My doubt may not suit this concept too. If so , sorry for asking my doubt here.

Pranams,
prasanna

LEAD, KINDLY LIGHT. LOVE IS GOD, LOVE IS OCEAN, " Love Is Eternal. " LIVE TO LOVE TO LIVE.

vivekvshetty

oming soon!

Post by vivekvshetty » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:25 pm

Namaskaar Prasanna ji,
Lessons on both Aaroodha and Neechabhanga/ ucchabahnga in the pipeline and coming soon.
We will try tro share all we know on these topics.

RishiRahul and vivek.
prasanna wrote:Dear RIshiji and VIvekji, Namashkar,

I have posted a query regarding Utcha bhanga  in previous lesson.U have posted it as separate  topic in Vedic astrology forum.I have not yet received any explanations to that till date. I thank u both for posting it as new topic.But I wish atleast YOu both should carry forward that useful topic, so that we learners can know more about that.  Thanks a lot for doing that .

More over one day I asked u Rishiji what is Arudha pada and Arudha lagna,?  the word meaning, now I got answer from Vivekji's document. Arudha Denotes MOUNT.Thanks Vivekji. I trust we can know more about  this calculations in this lesson.

Regards,

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:01 pm

Namaskaar Prasanna ji,
There is little or no similarity between the two.
In Astrocartography the longitude and latitude of a place is taken and the chart is recast (we really know very little about this system).
Whereas a graha having Digbala from the Aaroodha Lagna shows the direction only.
For example see Shri Raama's Kundali given previously. The Aaroodha Lagna is Mesha and two grahas get dig bala. Mangal and Shani. Shani is the western direction and Mangal is South.

RishiRahul and vivek.

prasanna wrote:Dear Vivekji and Rishiji ,
                          Reading the above lines I got one doubt. I read about " Astro carto graphy " or in other words, "Locational Astrology ". Is this Arudha Lagna and this  Astro carto graphic pointers are similar ? I feel that Locational astrology is western concept . My doubt here is , Is there some similarity between these two? Shall we study the advantages of locations as the same way  in that locational Astro here?   If i am wrong , Please ignore this doubt.  My doubt may not suit this concept too. If so , sorry for asking my doubt here.

Pranams,

prasanna

Post by prasanna » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:59 am

Dear Vivekji and Rishiji, Pranams,

Thanks for the above two answers. I will wait to   know  more about the above points in coming lessons.  Thanks once again for  letting me  know the difference between AL and Locational Astrology. ie  AL  VS LA.

Warm Regards,
prasanna

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”