Lesson 15. Space and Time.

This is the main Vedic Astrology Learning Forum. General Vedic Astrology lessons and questions and answers can be addressed here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, RishiRahul, vivekvshetty

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:13 pm

Namaskaar swapnil ji,
The meanings are one and the same. So now you know if someone says Dig Chakra and another says Dik chakra they are speaking of the same thing.

RishiRahul and vivek.
gaonkarswapnil wrote:Dear Vivek Ji

I tried to google the word meaning but the problem is when ever i search i find both mean one and the same can you pls give me link for sanskrit dictionary for now here is what i found from googling

dik — open space; SB 2.2.4
dik — the controller of directions; SB 2.5.30
dik — the directions; SB 4.5.10
dik — directions; SB 5.26.40

'Dig' meaning direction

Regards

Swapnil

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:31 am

Namaskaar All,
Most of us must have heard of Raahu kaala. Actually each Graha has a Kaala and it repeats in the night also.

The first Kaala of the day (Starting from Sunrise) is of the lord of the weekday. and the other kaala of the graha follows as per the kaalachakra.
From Sunset the first Kaala of the night is of the Graha which is opposite the weekday lord in Kaalachakra. It may also be found by counting the fifth from the weekday lord.
Some take it from local 6 am and divide the day equally into sixteen parts.

Let us take the example of Sunday.
Sunrise to sunset is divided into eight equal parts.
1.Surya
2.Mangal
3.Guru
4.Budha
5.Shukra
6.Shani
7.Chandra
8.Raahu
------------------ sunset
Sunset to the next day Sunrise is divided into eight equal parts.
1.Shukra
2.Shani
3.Chandra
4.Raahu
5.Surya
6.Mangal
7.Guru
8.Budha.

The above Kaalachakra table for Sunday. You will see that Raahu is the last 8th portion of the day and hence for a sunday the last one and half is the Raahu kaala.

We want learners to list out the Kaalachakra of the other weekdays.

RishiRahul and vivek.

prasanna

Post by prasanna » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:19 am

Dear All   Namaskaar.

I have  tried my level best to give the answers below.

Monday  Sunrise.

1. Chandra

2.  Rahu

3.  Surya

4.  Mangal

5. Guru

6. Budha

7. Sukra

8.  Shani

Sunset  

1.   Guru

2.  .Budha

3.  Shukra

4.  Shani

5.  Chandra

6.  Rahu

7.  Surya

8.  Mangal.

Tuesday  Sunrise

1.  Mangal

2.  Guru

3. Bhudha

4. Sukra

5. Shani

6. Chandra

7.  Rahu

8.  Surya.

Sunset

1. Shani

2.Chandra.

3. Rahu

4. Surya

5. Mangal

6. Guru

7. Budha

8. Shukra

Wednesday sunrise

1. Budha

2. Shukra

3. Shani

4. Chandra

5. Rahu

6. Surya

7. Mangal  

8. Guru.

Sunset.

1.. Rahu

2. Surya

3.. Mangal  

4.. Guru.

5. Budha

6. Shukra

7. Shani

8. Chandra

Thursday Sunrise.

1. Guru

2. Budha

3. Sukra

4. Shani

5. Chandra

6.  Rahu.

7. Surya..

8 .Mangal.

Sunset

1.. Chandra

2..  Rahu.

3.. Surya..

4. .Mangal.

5. Guru

6.  Bhudha

7. Shukra

8.  Shani

Friday Sunrise

1. Shukra

2. Shani

3. Chandra.

4  .Rahu

5. Surya

6. Mangal.

7.  Guru.

8.  Budha.

Sunset

1.  Surya

2.. Mangal.

3.  Guru.

4.  Budha.

5. Shukra

6.  Shani

7. Chandra

8.  Rahu

Saturday  Sunrise

1.    Shani.

2.   Chandra

3.   Rahu

4.  Surya

5.  Mangal

6.  Guru

7.   Bhudha

8.   Shukra.

Sunset.

1.    Mangal

2.   Guru.

3.  Budha.

4.   Shukra

5.   Shani.

6.  Chandra.

7.   Rahu

8 .  Surya.
prasanna

LEAD, KINDLY LIGHT. LOVE IS GOD, LOVE IS OCEAN, " Love Is Eternal. " LIVE TO LOVE TO LIVE.

vivekvshetty

Great effort.

Post by vivekvshetty » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:01 pm

Namaskaar Prasanna ji and all,
Great effort on your part in answering the exercise given.
Let me tell you that some people take the Kaala after sunrise as a repetition of the morning Kaala. This means that for them the first kaala after sunset on a Sunday is of Surya and the next of Mangal and so on.
It is always better to know another opinion as it may be for some other purpose.

Anyways, Raahu Kaala is seen only for the Daytime and not given much importance for night. It is very strictly followed in the southern regions of India and no auspicious occasions are scheduled during this Kaala.
In fact there is an easy way of remembering this amongst the Bangalore/ chennai residents. Does anybody know about it?

RishiRahul and vivek.

prasanna

Post by prasanna » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:41 pm

Namaskaar Vivekji,

We south Indians especially Tamils used to avoid Rahu Kaal ever for any auspicious  occasions. Mostly we avoid travels during  Rahu kaal. When ever we are forced to start by the time  of rahu kaal , elders say we must keep our traveling items into some other place before the starting period of rahu kaal. So we  used to go to  our neighbours house  or to some friends or relatives place  and keep our bags there. On few occasions I myself felt some hardships in travelling by ignoring the words of my elders  by starting at rahu kaal. Like wise we avoid  Gulika kaalam  or Emagandam too for auspicious occasions.    In our family we used to avoid travels on the next day of Amavasya too, means on Prathama Thithi.

The following  method  refers to the easy way of remembering Rahu Kalam. Once I read it some where and noted it.

MOTHER SAW FATHER WEARING THE TURBAN SUNDAY or slowly

Mo: Monday 7.30am - 9.00am

Sa: Sat: 9.00am- 10.30am

Fa: Friday: 10.30am-12.00pm

We: Wednesday: 12.00pm-1.30pm

Th: Thursday: 1.30pm-3.00pm

Tu: Tue: 3.00-4.30pm

Sun: Sunday: 4.30pm-6.00pm

If  we memorize the above sentence,  the first two letters denotes  the day and time works out in a clockwise and it  has been the easiest method.

My mother used to teach us the following method.

Thi , sha, ve, bu, vi, che, Naa.

Thi stands  for Thingal= Monday

Sha  stands  for Shani= Saturday

Ve   stands for Velli = Friday

bu  stands  for  Budhan  =  Wednes day

Vi  stands for  Viyalan  = Thursday

Che  stands for  Chevai =  Tuesday

Naa   stands for  Naayiru =  Sunday.

Hope this methods helps us to remember easily  of Rahu kaalam.

Regards,
prasanna

LEAD, KINDLY LIGHT. LOVE IS GOD, LOVE IS OCEAN, " Love Is Eternal. " LIVE TO LOVE TO LIVE.

vivekvshetty

Bingo!

Post by vivekvshetty » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:33 am

Namaskaar Prasanna ji,
great info. Thanks.
Can you write more on Gulika and also perhaps of Yamaghanta.

RishiRahul and vivek.

prasanna

Post by prasanna » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:39 am

Namaskaar Vivekji,

Let me add some  info regarding this  Yamagantha  Rahu kaal and   gulika kaalam.  

Yama Kantam : There are 90 minutes ( One and half hours ) devoted to  this and the connection here is to Kethu , the 9th of the Nava graham with inauspicous connotions again like Raahu . Yama Kantam on Monday is between 10.30 to 12.00 Noon . On Sunday , it is between 12.00 Noon to 1.30 PM .

GuLikan is devoted to Bhagavathi , whose worship is prominent in KeraLa. There are day GuLikans and Night GuLikans . It is also a time period of
90 minutes , which vary from day to day . For Monday , the Pahal(Day) GuLikan is between 1.30 to 3.00 PM and the night GuLikan is between 7.30 PM to 9 PM .Various Theyyam uthsavams at KeraLa Bhagavathy temples are elaborate affairs with colorful masks of Bhagavathy ,  a goddess of many moods .

Raahu Kaalam Calculation
Week day Example 1:
Sunrise 6:00 a.m.
Sunset 6:00 p.m.
1/8 of Day = 90 minutes

Example 2:
Sunrise 5:58 a.m.
Sunset 8:14 p.m.
1/8 of Day = 107 minutes

Example 3:
Sunrise 6:36 a.m.
Sunset 6:10 p.m.
1/8 of Day = 87 minutes

Sunday 4:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. 6:27 p.m. to 8:14 p.m. 4:43 p.m. to 6:10 p.m.
Monday 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. 7:45 a.m. to 9:32 a.m. 8:02 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
Tuesday 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. 4:40 to 6:27 p.m.        3:16 p.m. to 4:44 p.m.
Wednesda 12 noon to 1:30 p.m.        1:06 p.m. to 2:53 p.m. 12:23 p.m. to 1:50 p.m.
Thursday 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. 2:53 p.m. to 4:40 p.m. 1:49 p.m. to 3:17 p.m.
Friday 10:30 a.m. to 12 noon 11:19 a.m. to 1:06 p.m. 10:56 p.m. to 12:23 p.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. 9:32 a.m. to 11:19 a.m. 9:29 a.m. to 10:57 a.m.

Yamagandam

Like Rahukalam the following periods known as Yamagandam during which it is considered to be inauspicious to start any important work.

Like Rahukalam the following periods known as Yamagandam during which it is considered to be inauspicious to start any important work.

Monday                      10.00 Am to   12.00 PM

Tuesday                     09-00 AM  to  10.30 Am

Wednesday                 7.30 Am to 9.00 AM

Thursday                    6.00 AM to  7.30 PM

Friday                         3.00 Pm to  4.30 PM

Saturday                     1.30 PM to 3.00 PM

Sunday                       12.00 PM  to  1. 30 PM

prasanna

Post by prasanna » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:00 am

Dear Vivekji,  Namaste,

The following link provides us with free calculator  for calculating rahu kaal, gulika  etc.

http://www.astroccult.net/rahukalam_calculator.html

Let me share some more info regarding the worship of Maa Durga during rahu kaal.

During raghukalam worshipping Durga devi is good. I have seen  women litting  lemon  lamp  to Durga in the temples  in south India..

"Rahu Kaalam Durga Pooja" is very famous. They are done specially on Tuesdays 3-4:30pm or Fridays 10:30-12noon. Young people who perform this pooja will excel in studies while the unmarried will be able to find a good life partner, married ladies will have a happy married life and their families will proper, the childless will have children and have a happy and prosperous life.

The story behind this Raahu Kaalam Durgra Puja goes like this...

A couple is blessed with a child after their continuous prayers to Mother Durga. The child reached her puberty age and the parents decided to seek an astrologer to ask the fate of the child in future. The couple was shocked to know that their daughter has "Ragu Thosam" (very bad time – Ragu controlling her time ) and the ninth day from her birthday, a black serpent will bite her to death. Hearing this, the couple rushed to get the protection from Mother Durga. Parvathy takes a vow to save the child.

The time comes and as predicted before, Ragu/Rahu (the serpent-head) changes himself as a serpent and try his very best to kill the girl. Each of his attempt been blocked by Shakti and at last Shakti herself reincarnate as the girl and Ragu mistakenly bite Shakti thus made a sinful act. Ragu beg for forgiveness and as a reward he let go the girl. In forgiving his mistakes, Mother Durga tells him that Ragu dosh ,  Ragu`s influences will ease for those who are performing Pooja for her at Rahu Kaalam (a bad time ) and those who are conducting the pooja will be blessed by Mother Durga.

I heard many saying  that it is ideal to start anything auspicious during the last session of raahu kaalam and leads to good result.  But Iam not sure it is correct or not.

Regards,
prasanna

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:02 pm

Namaskaar Prasanna ji,
Thanks a lot for the additional knowledge. Indeed the Kaalachakra is the base for all the remedial measures, specially those advised in the various Naadi granthas. Indeed this chakra is called the basis of all worship in the Satya Sanaatana.
As for as Gulika and other Upagrahas (sub grahas), we will deal with their use and importance later.
Here i am not able to stop myself from attaching an image from Sanjay Prabhakaran's (A Guru in SJC) web site. I hope he doesnt mind as it is for learning purpose and purely non-commercial use. we want all the learners to study the diagram, in fact deep manana (meditation) is needed to study it. It is said that many a secrets are hidden and will be revealed to an earnest seeker.

RishiRahul and vivek.  
prasanna wrote:Dear Vivekji,  Namaste,

The following link provides us with free calculator  for calculating rahu kaal, gulika  etc.

http://www.astroccult.net/rahukalam_calculator.html

Let me share some more info regarding the worship of Maa Durga during rahu kaal.

During raghukalam worshipping Durga devi is good. I have seen  women litting  lemon  lamp  to Durga in the temples  in south India..

"Rahu Kaalam Durga Pooja" is very famous. They are done specially on Tuesdays 3-4:30pm or Fridays 10:30-12noon. Young people who perform this pooja will excel in studies while the unmarried will be able to find a good life partner, married ladies will have a happy married life and their families will proper, the childless will have children and have a happy and prosperous life.

The story behind this Raahu Kaalam Durgra Puja goes like this...

A couple is blessed with a child after their continuous prayers to Mother Durga. The child reached her puberty age and the parents decided to seek an astrologer to ask the fate of the child in future. The couple was shocked to know that their daughter has "Ragu Thosam" (very bad time – Ragu controlling her time ) and the ninth day from her birthday, a black serpent will bite her to death. Hearing this, the couple rushed to get the protection from Mother Durga. Parvathy takes a vow to save the child.

The time comes and as predicted before, Ragu/Rahu (the serpent-head) changes himself as a serpent and try his very best to kill the girl. Each of his attempt been blocked by Shakti and at last Shakti herself reincarnate as the girl and Ragu mistakenly bite Shakti thus made a sinful act. Ragu beg for forgiveness and as a reward he let go the girl. In forgiving his mistakes, Mother Durga tells him that Ragu dosh ,  Ragu`s influences will ease for those who are performing Pooja for her at Rahu Kaalam (a bad time ) and those who are conducting the pooja will be blessed by Mother Durga.

I heard many saying  that it is ideal to start anything auspicious during the last session of raahu kaalam and leads to good result.  But Iam not sure it is correct or not.

Regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mysbcrs

Post by mysbcrs » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:47 pm

Namaskaar Vivekji,

Thanks indeed for the beautiful pictorial depiction and thanks to SJC community.

But real heavy stuff to digest.

I have a few questions. Will be grateful if you can clarify.

1. If this pict is overlayed on the south Indian chart template, I notice that the quadrants (Mithuna, Kanya, Dhanu and Meena) are turned 90 deg anti-clockwise. Is there a logic or significance behind this?
2. You had explained about unfavouravle yuti from the perspective of Vaara. Is there anything comparable from the perspective of thithi? While yuti (or opposition) of some that are opposite in the pict (Su+Ve,Ma+Sa) are known to be unfavourable a few others (Ju+Mo) are treated as beneficial yogas.
3. Can we say that a graha well placed from the perspective of dik chakra and kaala chakra gives good results to the native? (For e.g, Shani in Meena in the 7th)
4. The numbers 1 to 28 marked against intersections - Are they Nakshtras (including Abhijit)?

Thanks in advance
CRS
CRS

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:03 pm

Namaskaar CRS ji,
1. Indeed it is not like any of the chakras we know. Not even the East Indian chart. Try to find out why.
2. The Yuti of the kendra Grahas is auspicious. Surya +Shukra and Guru+Chandra.
The Yuti of the Kona (corner) Grahas is not Auspicious. Raahu+Budha and Mangal+Shani.

Of these the most Auspicious is the GajaKesari (elephant and Lion).
Thisis the reason why the Swastika should be Drawn in perfect Cross and not using the konas like the Nazi's did.  
3. Not very sure on this. ofcourse the Digbala will be there.
4.Yes they are the Nakshatras. See Prashna Marga.
RishiRahul and vivek.
mysbcrs wrote:Namaskaar Vivekji,

Thanks indeed for the beautiful pictorial depiction and thanks to SJC community.

But real heavy stuff to digest.

I have a few questions. Will be grateful if you can clarify.

1. If this pict is overlayed on the south Indian chart template, I notice that the quadrants (Mithuna, Kanya, Dhanu and Meena) are turned 90 deg anti-clockwise. Is there a logic or significance behind this?
2. You had explained about unfavouravle yuti from the perspective of Vaara. Is there anything comparable from the perspective of thithi? While yuti (or opposition) of some that are opposite in the pict (Su+Ve,Ma+Sa) are known to be unfavourable a few others (Ju+Mo) are treated as beneficial yogas.
3. Can we say that a graha well placed from the perspective of dik chakra and kaala chakra gives good results to the native? (For e.g, Shani in Meena in the 7th)
4. The numbers 1 to 28 marked against intersections - Are they Nakshtras (including Abhijit)?

Thanks in advance
CRS

mysbcrs

Post by mysbcrs » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:11 am

Dhanyavaad Vivekji,
Indeed it is not like any of the chakras we know. Not even the East Indian chart. Try to find out why.
The placement of grahas and the alignment of tithis is as per kaalachakra, which Ramanji had uploaded as a picture earlier in this lesson. But I could not make out the logic/reason behind placement of rashis. E.g, Sun,Pratipad and Navami being associated with Mesh and Vrishabh.

I will try to get hold of prashna maarg as you suggested. Hopefully, I will find answer for this.

CRS
CRS

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:21 pm

Namaskaar CRS ji,
The mapping of the Raashis beats me too!
Anyway, coming to the Mapping of the Tithis, there is a post on Chat Pooja in the Vedic Astrology Forum and reading it set me thinking. Why worship Surya on the Sixth tithi?
Any thoughts?
RishiRahul and vivek
mysbcrs wrote:Dhanyavaad Vivekji,
Indeed it is not like any of the chakras we know. Not even the East Indian chart. Try to find out why.
The placement of grahas and the alignment of tithis is as per kaalachakra, which Ramanji had uploaded as a picture earlier in this lesson. But I could not make out the logic/reason behind placement of rashis. E.g, Sun,Pratipad and Navami being associated with Mesh and Vrishabh.

I will try to get hold of prashna maarg as you suggested. Hopefully, I will find answer for this.

CRS

mysbcrs

Post by mysbcrs » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:36 pm

Namaskaar Vivekji,
Anyway, coming to the Mapping of the Tithis, there is a post on Chat Pooja in the Vedic Astrology Forum and reading it set me thinking. Why worship Surya on the Sixth tithi?
Any thoughts?
Is it because Su enters the last paad of Chitta, the last leg of its pre-debilitation state?

CRS
CRS

vivekvshetty

Post by vivekvshetty » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:09 pm

Namaskaar CRS ji,
That it has something to do with the debility of Surya is certain. But it is also celebrated during March/April.
My query was on the Tithi of worship. Likewise i think Lord Kartikeya is also worshipped on a Shasthi.
This query is related to the Kaalachakra.
RishiRahul and vivek.
mysbcrs wrote:Namaskaar Vivekji,
Any thoughts?
Is it because Su enters the last paad of Chitta, the last leg of its pre-debilitation state?

CRS

Return to “Learn Vedic Astrology”