Guides in dreams

Similar to the material in the Mediumship - Questions and Answers forum, but at a more advanced level.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Barbarian

Guides in dreams

Post by Barbarian » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Sometimes im lucid enough to ask for one of my guides to appear in a dream, and then a guide will appear, sometimes the advise im given or the things they say are hard for me to understand  as if their words are code for somthing else. I guess I'm asking if the things my guides say to me in dreams should be taken literally or taken as a parable for something else? Any ideas or advise is appreciated:)

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Literally, as well as symbolically

Post by eye_of_tiger » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:44 am

Barbarian,

I do realize that your posting is over four months old, but I also thought that it deserved a response. Better late than never?

Things that guides say to us in our dreams can be both taken literally or alternately be presented to us in the form of symbols, which represent something completely different in our outer world or life.

A picture can often communicate much more information to us than a thousand words are capable of doing. Just because a guide is speaking to you in your dream does not automatically mean that the usual meaningful or meaningless symbols found in any type of dream must necessarily be absent.

The words themselves will provide you with some of the puzzle pieces, while the symbols which your guide shows you will fill in more of the remaining empty spaces.

My advice would be for you to keep a regular and carefully dated dream journal or diary and a couple of reliable writing instruments handy on your bedside table so that you can record both the words as well as the symbols your guide gives you during your dreams, before you step out of bed, and the fragile memories of what you have been told and shown by him or her rapidly fade away and then disappear into a mental black hole.

Then when you have a series of these dreams during a one month period, use your journal to to work out where each of the literal or symbolic pieces will fit, in order to reveal even deeper truths that you may not have understood properly if they had only been told to you, without the added use of symbols or parables (teaching stories) to help you to assemble the bigger picture.

EoT  :smt015

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:51 pm

Dream language is symbolic.  All things represent the symbols.  It is just not the best place to be conscious and connect with spirit guides.
God bless, J

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Symbols and words

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:09 am

It is just not the best place to be conscious and connect with spirit guides.
Hi J,

With great respect for your knowledge and personal expertise and experience in the area of mediumship and communication with guides.

I could not agree more with that statement but often guides first contact us through our dreams (there are reasons for this), so I feel that we need to help members use and integrate their initial experiences with their guides in a positive, relaxed manner.

To see communicating with them in their dreams as a preparation for communicating with them while they are almost wide awake (altered state of consciousness).

I also agree with you that a large proportion of the contents of our dreams are symbolic or representative, but some of them have no deeper spiritual meaning, and can be taken quite literally.

Dreaming that you are looking for a toilet often means that you are really busting to go, and your bladder is about to explode. It does not represent something deeper than that.

It is telling it exactly like it is.

The problem as you have correctly identified is that it is frequently extremely difficult to sort out what is literal, from what is purely symbolic (discernment).

Dreams are definitely not the best place to communicate with our guides, but it is a common place to start doing so, and we must therefore not throw out the baby with the bathwater by implanting in a beginner's mind that communications from guides in our dreams have no value whatsoever, presumably because the symbols being used cannot be easily interpreted after we regain consciousness.

Guides often use symbols significant or unique only to us as a form of shorthand, so just as we are often the best possible interpreter of the meanings of our dreams, we are also often the best possible interpreter of the personal meaning of the symbols which our guides present us with.

For example while I am not consciously communicating with any of my guides, whenever I see a healing pouch as worn around the neck of an American Indian medicine man in my dreams or visions, it either means that I need a healing myself, or that somebody else whom I know or am helping does.

First comes the symbol: followed by the detailed instructions. First comes the symbols or pictures: then comes the words. Symbols and words both have a complementary role to play in more effectively communicating the complete message to me.

From a relative beginner in the area of guides and mediumship EoT   Image

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:04 am

Dreams need interpretation.  Symbols are representative of other things, people, places.  Dream interpretation is just not the same as the symbols in psychic/mediumship work.  So, no dreams are not the best place to connect to spirit guides.  

We can consciously go into meditation and prepare to meet spirit guides.  Yes there is an altered state of consciousness (alpha) which is not as deep as the REM deep sleep state.  And thereby we are in a more conscious level to think and work with the interaction of communication.  It is a dialogue after all, not a monologue.
God bless, J

Return to “Mediumship Understanding and Development”