8. What Does Science have to say?

Post your questions here. Have a healthy discussion, and learn to develop your psychic skills as a novice medium.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

spiritalk

8. What Does Science have to say?

Post by spiritalk » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:07 pm

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:54 am

Professor Candace Pert, Rutgers University: "As a scientist I believe we're going to understand everything one day, but this understanding will require bringing in a realm we don't understand at all yet. We're going to have to bring in the extra-energy realm, the realm of spirit and soul......."

As someone who has been well indoctrinated in the limitations of the scientific method, and who has examined the many times in the past where science's sheer arrogance in believing that ALL things will eventually be revealed if it only tries hard and long enough has lead to untold suffering for all concerned, I personally find the above statement to be highly offensive, even though it does allude to the possibility of other dimensions of existence, as well as and beyond this physical Universe.

I am afraid that I once again find myself in the unenviable position of being the devil's advocate, when many of the later quotes require much more thoughtful consideration.

Please do not get me wrong about this, as I do believe that science has an invaluable role to play in us gaining knowledge, but that some mysteries are beyond anything which our conscious minds could ever begin to cope with, no matter how much they might evolve. Some wisdom and mystery will forever remain solely in the mind of our Creator, to whom we will all one day as souls return?

eye_of_tiger Image

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:53 pm

Ahhh, ever the purist!  I enjoyed that quote from the point of view that scientists are actually admitting there is more in the universe than their methods and knowledge has yet to uncover.  Did it say we would know it all?  I don't think so.....

I think it was referring to the fact that science has a long way to go in finding methods that will help us all gain knowledge.  To have faith is wonderful!  To have knowledge is so much more satisfying.

sidewalk_bends

Post by sidewalk_bends » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:04 pm

I swear I read this earlier and that quote said something else, tho there are no edits.

Prof. Akers

Post by Prof. Akers » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:39 pm

Of course none this touches on the issue of dark matter (no, not a black magicians daydream).
There is not enough vivible matter in the universe to explain all the phenomina we can measure (gravity etc.) and the only only explaination so far is 'dark matter' i.e. matter we cannot see but is still there.
Now you know I'm a confirmed atheist but does this belief in dark matter (which you can't see or to great extent prove) sound similar to faith in beings you prove?
I have no answers, I'm merely shooting the bullets for the believers for once.

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:11 am

I am afraid that I once again find myself in the unenviable position of being the devil's advocate....

Devil's Advocate - [Meaning taken from UsingEnglish.com]

If someone plays Devil's advocate in an argument, they adopt a position they don't believe in just for the sake of the argument.

Apparently my strategy worked even better than I expected by me taking such an extreme position, as the purpose of doing so was to stimulate further debate and discussion on this subject, rather than to force my own opinions on anyone as being necessarily correct. There was absolutely no malicious intention behind my actions.

An excellent topic for thoughtful discussion and debate, in it's entirety. IMHO

EOT  :smt009

spiritalk

Post by spiritalk » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:52 pm

Ahhh - EOT:  discussion is good!

Return to “Mediumship - Questions and Answers”