Getting charts for the class!

Clear your doubts and ask questions. Get answers to all your queries which will help you learn faster.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Getting charts for the class!

Post by Youdah » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:23 am

I believe that everyone wants to get to the fun part -- readings and interpretation -- as quickly as possible.  Theory is great, and necessary, but applying that knowledge is the entire point of it!  So, we are going to start doing interpretations from the very first class.  By the second or third class, depending on participation and the charts you have, we will start doing readings.

So, you need a chart for class!  I recommend that you begin by using your own natal chart.  This way, you can figure out quickly if the interpretations and readings are accurate...you know yourself, so you'll know!

Searching the internet for "free astrology charts" or "free natal charts" will give you many different websites to generate a natal chart for you.  Many of these places give generic interpretations along with the chart.  You can read through these, but we are going to learn a different method that is more accurate and specific than these computer-generated "interpretations."

If you know of a website that you like for generating charts, please post the link for everyone.  (No commercial or "for pay" websites, please!)

CAUTION:  NEVER EVER put your full name and your birth data anywhere on the internet at the same time, at the same place.  This just gives someone the opportunity to steal this information and use it for identity theft or other bad purposes.  Be careful of this if you use a website (instead of your own software) to generate a natal chart for yourself or anyone else.  Use a make-up name, or a pseudonym, or your handle that you use for this website.  

In the old days, before you could ever begin to learn astrology, the first thing you had to do was learn all the mathematical formulas for the sidereal time, houses, planetary positions, declinations, etc.  We aren't going to go into the math in this class.  However, knowing how to make a chart manually is a good thing to know...if you continue with astrology and want to do it professionally.  If there is enough interest in becoming a professional astrologer, we can hold a separate class for just the mathematics after this class is finished.

Now that there are computers, there are many software programs that you can download to generate your own charts, so you don't need to know all the math.  The best software program that I've seen, at any price, is free.  It's called "What Watch."  
We won't have a lot of time for questions on how to use this software, or any other software program, so if you want to generate your own charts, and use your own software, please become familiar with your software before class.

If you are having any problems with getting your own natal chart in any of the ways I've mentioned, please post or PM me!  If all else fails, I'll email you a chart to use.
Last edited by Youdah on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RoseRed

Post by RoseRed » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:50 pm

Last edited by RoseRed on Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:53 pm

Thanks, RoseRed!  I haven't had time to find any websites, so the links are GREAT!  :)

RoseRed

Post by RoseRed » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:55 pm

To Err, Human
To Forgive, Divine

RoseRed

Post by RoseRed » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:58 pm

oops can someone fix!
no prob Youdah! so excited! :)
To Err, Human
To Forgive, Divine

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:27 pm

RoseRed wrote:oops can someone fix!
no prob Youdah! so excited! :)
I'm not sure what you wanted me to fix?

You can edit your own posts.  Look for a little tab in the upper right hand corner of the post.  If you click on the tab that says "edit" it will take you to a new page with all the post there, so you can change whatever you want.

I'm excited, too.  I'm busy writing the lessons, and it is fun for me!  I can hardly wait for the first class!

soulsearch

Post by soulsearch » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:14 am

Thank you for the links.Managed to download the software What watch.

Trying to understand the chart style since I am so accustomed to looking at it in vedic astrology style.THe houses and midpoints are slightly confusing but I will wait for the lessons to unfold.

Thanks and looking forward :)

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:15 am

We'll talk about what the chart means, the pie chart style.  Perhaps when we get to discussions, you can point out the differences between Vedic and Western, soulsearch!  I think some are interested in the differences.  We'll try to keep this about Western Astrology, but for those, like you, who have a Vedic background, it will help to see how Vedic can be transferred to Western style!

soulsearch

Post by soulsearch » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:43 am

Honestly I am really a beginner and I would like to learn about Western Astrology too. I had reached a lot of roadblocks in Jyotish too..hopefully new learning here can help me to look at possiblities and options to approach and de-layer a chart especially when it is going to be interactive.

Thank you for creating this opportunity.

Regards
SS

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:24 am

I believe in the K.I.S.S. principle.  (Keep It Simple, Stupid!)  I try to get everything down to its "essence" so it isn't so overwhelming.  You can always add to your knowledge, and everyone does for the entire lifetime, so just understanding how to start is all that anyone really needs!

RoseRed

Post by RoseRed » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:27 am

Youdah wrote:I believe in the K.I.S.S. principle.  (Keep It Simple, Stupid!)
HAHAHAHA!!! I LOVE that!! hehe  :smt005

Oh I was just saying about the double post...but it doesn't matter! Was just thinking for 'cleanliness' purposes :)
To Err, Human
To Forgive, Divine

Naomiel

Post by Naomiel » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:14 pm

I've just downloaded the software.... I must admit it is really overwhelming looking at all that stuff and not knowing a thing.... I hope I have the brain power to do your course!  :)

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:44 pm

Naomiel wrote:I've just downloaded the software.... I must admit it is really overwhelming looking at all that stuff and not knowing a thing.... I hope I have the brain power to do your course!  :)
When I first looked at Vedic charts, I had the same feeling.  How will I ever learn all this stuff!?!  So I understand the feeling very well.  :)  But, we are going to go as slow as we need to go...or as fast as the class wants...we'll KISS it (Keep it simple)...and I'll give extra help to anyone who needs it.  

The biggest thing I'd like students to remember is this:  I'll try to explain things in a clear and simple way.  But, that doesn't mean I'll always do a good job of it.  So, if you don't understand something, ASK.  It won't mean that you're a dummie, it will only mean that I didn't explain it very well.  OK?

Castitatis Lilium

Post by Castitatis Lilium » Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:47 pm

KISS IT! The new motto :)

Well, I have read some books about it, but it was a bit a overwhelming. :) But I do know something.

RoseRed

Post by RoseRed » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:53 pm

Another GREAT one!
Love the last page...
moonology.myastrologystore.com/free_birthchart.asp

We don't like when links goes to stores or to other sites that is in competition with this one.

For a link to be "valued" then it shall go on a topic and give it further information....the one here is the same as you will find on top of our site....just use all >200 different reading styles :)

Rhutobello
Site admin

Return to “Western Astrology Class Questions and Answers”