Lesson 1 Discussion and Interpretation -- The Houses

Clear your doubts and ask questions. Get answers to all your queries which will help you learn faster.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Lesson 1 Discussion and Interpretation -- The Houses

Post by Youdah » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:32 pm

DOES EVERYONE HAVE THEIR NATAL CHART?

Look at your own chart and locate the Fifth House.  

What "Sign" is on the "cusp" of your First House?  The "cusp" is just the line that is drawn to show the beginning of that House.

In my natal chart, Taurus is on the cusp of the Fifth House.

Using the graph table at http://www.geocities.com/youdah2 locate the 5th House.

From the table, we know that the 5th House is about Pleasures, Children, Creativity, Romance.  It is a Fire element, masculine, Succedent, and fixed.

BUT...

In my chart, Taurus is also included because it is on my 5th House cusp.  So, we will also have to blend in the characteristics of Taurus.

So, again, using the table at http://www.geocities.com/youdah2 locate Taurus from the "Associated Signs" column.

From this, we know that Taurus is associated with money and possessions.  It's also an Earth element, Feminine, Succedant, Fixed, and "ruled by" Venus.

Now we have the keywords to "read" and interpret my 5th House.

By blending all these things together, how would you expect to see me behave towards Fifth House subjects of love, creativity, children or romance?  (Use Taurus information, since that is the Sun Sign on my Fifth House cusp).

Without saying all the keywords, someone would just say, "5th House Taurus."  From that, you can do an interpretation using the things we have talked about so far.

To get you started...
I'll use Mundane astrology (ordinary things of life) on my own 5th House Taurus.

I tend to spend a lot of money (taurus) on my children and creative pursuits/entertainment (5th House).  Since the 5th House and Taurus are "fixed," I would not be very open to someone telling me how to use my free time...but use it as I please.  If someone tried to tell me how to spend my free time (5th House), I could get down-right offended and stubborn about NOT doing it -- even if it was something I might want to do (fixed).  Since both the 5th House and Taurus are suceedant (middle of the cycle), I have learned that spending too much money on these things without consideration of budget causes me problems...but I haven't quite stopped myself (the end) from spending too much money on children and entertainment.  The Fire and Earth elements would cause me to make sudden decisions (impulse buying = fire sign) on luxury items (Taurus), but I buy things that are good quality and of good value (earth).

If I just lost you, don't worry.  It will become clearer and easier as we go along.  Don't worry about being "wrong."  Remember, you can't be wrong, because it comes from "you."

***Please post your own Fifth House cusp Sign, and each person give an interpretation or "reading" of someone else's Fifth House -- PLUS your own -- using what we have talked about so far.  Remember "beginning, middle, end" factors, and "fixed, mutable, cardinal" factors and the "elements."

After someone has given you an interpretation of your 5th House, please let us know if it sounds like "you" or not!

Hoosiergal

Question - no sign in fifth house

Post by Hoosiergal » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:13 pm

What if there is no sign in your fifth house?

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Re: Question - no sign in fifth house

Post by Youdah » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:22 am

Hoosiergal wrote:What if there is no sign in your fifth house?
It's probably just a problem with how the chart is made to look, so it's difficult to see the sign.  It's a lot easier to figure out what's happening if I can see the chart.  Can you post it?

Hoosiergal

My Chart

Post by Hoosiergal » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:38 am

Posted this in the wrong place the first time
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RoseRed

My chart

Post by RoseRed » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:14 am

Hey well this is my birthchart!
Thought I'd post it so that others can maybe use it or do interpretations, or just be able to see a different version, and for me so I can figure out what I'm doing  :smt002 etc.

RR
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Hoosiergal, 5th House

Post by Youdah » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Hi!  The What Watch software doesn't label the houses for you.  That makes it hard for those new to astrology to figure things out.  Please look at the graphic from Lesson 1, part 1 http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=56339  And also, look at the graphic of astrology symbols from the beginning of class here http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=56115  (sorry to give you links, but it's easier for me than typing it!)

The difficult part here is that Capricorn is made a little differently than the symbols I gave you, so it doesn't look a lot like the symbols for Capricorn from my "astrological symbols" page.  But, that squiggly line is actually Capricorn.

So, you have a 5th House Capricorn.

Did that clear the mud, or did I confuse you more?  :)

Youdah
Astrology Reader

RoseRed

Post by Youdah » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:31 pm

Your chart has labeled the Houses with roman numerals in the center of the chart with only a small line to show where the Houses begin.  In this chart, it shows that you have a 5th House Aquarius.  

In this chart, Pisces is also part of the 5th House since Pisces begins half-way through the house.  This is called an "intercepted sign" because a new "sun sign" is "intercepted" part-way through the house.

Youdah
Astrology Reader

General, for everyone

Post by Youdah » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:35 pm

I have worried that I jumped too many steps and made this exercise very difficult and hard to understand.  If you are having problems, let me know, so I can back-up and go slower, or say it clearer.

Please remember that if you don't understand something, it is NOT your problem, but only that I haven't been clear enough.  So, if you don't tell me that you're lost, I will never know that I need to do something, or say something, differently, or be clearer.  OK?

Sometimes it's hard for someone to teach because it's easy to assume that you know more than you do!  The good part is that I can answer your questions, so that you aren't just given something to read and then expected to be an astrologer!  LOL!  So, let me know if something isn't easy to understand.  OK?

Hoosiergal

Youdah

Post by Hoosiergal » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:28 pm

I see what you are saying now. I thought there was to be a symbol inside the house, but it's actually the sign on the outside.
Thanks for clearing that up!

So Capricorn in my 5th house was why I got crazy when I asked my kids to pick up or clean up and it wasn't done until half an hour later? I used to tell them "if I'd wanted it done 30 minutes-I would have asked in 30 minutes."
And also, I always felt if they didn't do it the way I did it, it wasn't done right.

RoseRed

Questions before I start

Post by RoseRed » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:27 am

Okay with the houses, is it exactly the point of intersection or the whole 30degree area?

I'm going to do 3 examples of my chart to see if I'm on the 'correct' track.
(1 to 2) House 1: Scorpio and Sagittarius (more scorpio than sagi)
(2 to 3) House 2: Sagittarius and Capricorn (tiny bit of capricorn)
(3 to 4) House 3: Capricorn.

etc etc

Thats why I have:
(5 to 6) House 5: Aquarius and Pisces (more pisces than aquarius)
Next Question:
Because I have the two signs within my house and the one covers more area than the next. Do I then have more pisces qualities when it comes to the 5th house than aquarius qualities, or does the line of intersection mean than even though I have pisces in my 5th house, aquarius is the dominant sign (cause of the line of intersection).

Oh and I wanted to ask, is the horizontal line always horizontal?

(if I look in the little circle in the middle of the whole graphic i can see my horizontal line is perfectly horizontal but my vertical line has gone a bit squif)

RoseRed

Step 1: Getting all the info

Post by RoseRed » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:58 am

okay Hoosiergal, youre going to be my guinea pig! heehee!
Here goes:
5th house: pleasures, children, creativity, romance
Fire: Fire represents one's desires and creative energies. The Fire signs are associated with action, passion, energy, and heat, and people with a lot of fire in their make up are confident, bright, warm, exciting, and easily take the initiative. In combination with the other elements, fire feels that earth will smother it, water will douse it, but air will fan and enliven it. It is the element of focus and prosperity.
Masculine/ Yang: It's associated with light, activity, movement, rigidity, strength and masculine energy.
More active energy. Some yang qualities are heat, dryness, movement, and an upward direction.
Succedent (middle): Succedent houses, as a whole, have a stable, unchanging, fixed quality, deriving from their central position in each quadrant of the chart.
Fixed: are associated with focus, powerful concentration, individuality and determination. A person with a lot of Fixed qualities in their make up will be stable, penetrating, conservative, solid, purposeful, persevering, loyal and a little inflexible in their outlook. Fixed Signs are associated with stamina, perseverance and strength and said to be, by nature, inert. However, they are also associated with inflexibility.
determined, powerful, natural leaders, purposeful, reliable, loyal and self-confident but also occasionally stubborn and immovable, with a tendency to get stuck in ruts. They supposedly pursue their goals with dogged persistence and have a great power of concentration. According to astrologers, Fixed Signs tend to direct their energies inward rather than outward.
Planet: Sun
Astrologically the sun is usually thought to represent the conscious ego, the self and its expression, personal power, pride and authority; leadership qualities; and the principles of creativity, spontaneity, health and vitality; the life force. The sun also involves creative enterprises that are a projection of the person, from art and business to having children and parenthood (especially fatherhood). It also rules the fun side of life from sport and recreation to holidays and social events. In short, any occasion that 'allows us to shine'.
Personal strength, vitality and achievement, leadership qualities, power and authority; the need to express oneself; creativity, parenthood, (especially fatherhood), the need for recognition, esteem and personal pride. Ruler of the zodiac sign Leo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is a list of all the facts of the 5th House.
I still need to ‘blend’ it all together to come up with a summary of all the different aspects.
Fire + Yang + Succedant + Fixed + Sun = 5th House
BLEND 1: The 5th House
Capricorn
Earth: Earth signs are traditionally associated with stability, solidarity, and practicality. According to astrological theory, they are realistic, cautious, hard-working, and dependable people with the ability to rise steadily to positions of power and control. However, at their worst, they are said to be highly materialistic, limited in outlook, and inhibited. They are seen as negative, introverted, and not very sociable, owing to their focus on their own work and goals that tend to move them away from an active social life with others.On a more positive note, earth signs are the most down-to-earth and reasonable out of all of the signs. They are not easily upset, and are good at using emotional self-control. They are calm, cool and sane- which at times can make them very likeable among others.

Feminine/ Yin: Yin is associated with the feminine, nourishment, dark, moist, coolness, substantial, and being rooted or grounded. In a word, yin is calm.
It's associated with darkness, stillness, flexibility, weakness and feminine energy.
More passive energy. Some yin qualities are coldness, wetness, stillness and sinking down.

Angular (begin): They are the most influential, important, prominent and powerful houses of the chart.

Cardinal:
are associated with initiation and creativity. A person with a lot of Cardinal qualities in their make up will be spontaneous, restless, good at organizing and a natural leader. These signs are considered forceful and dynamic, initiating action and providing leadership. However, on the other hand, cardinal signs can be inconsiderate, controlling, stubborn, selfish and demanding, as they feel their way is the best and what others should follow.

Planet: Saturn

Astrologically Saturn is associated with the principles of limitation, restrictions, boundaries, practicality and reality, crystallizing and structures. Saturn governs ambition, career, authority and hierarchy, and conforming social structures. It concerns a person's sense of duty, discipline and responsibility, and their physical and emotional endurance during hardships. Saturn is also considered to represent the part of a person concerned with long-term planning.
Saturn symbolised processes and things which were dry and extremely cold, and was therefore inimical to life. It governed the melancholic humour.
This is all the facts of Capricorn.
Earth + Yin + Angular + Cardinal + Saturn = Sign (Cap)
BLEND 2: Capricorn
Once I can get a summary of all the elements into one AKA Blend 2, then I can relate and compare it to the blend of the 5th House AKA Blend 1, and then I will be able to see how Hoosiergal will deal with 5th houses subjects of pleasures, children, creativity, romance.
Last edited by RoseRed on Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

RoseRed

Step 2: Combining all the info - The Interpretation

Post by RoseRed » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:41 am

Facts of Cap:
Earth: stability, solidarity, practicality, patient, realistic, cautious, hard-working, dependable, down to Earth, sane, calm, emotionally stable, reasonable.
Materialistic, close-minded, inhibited, pessimistic, introverted, anti-social.
Yin: feminine, passive, nourishment, dark, moist, calm, stillness, flexibility, weakness, coolness, grounded.
Angular(begin): important, powerful, influential, prominent
Cardinal: creativity, initiation, spontaneous, restless, leader, organiser, forceful, dynamic, inconsiderate, controlling, stubborn, selfish, demanding, their way or the high way.
Saturn: limitations, structure, boundaries, restrictions, responsibility, ambition, career, authority, hierarchy, serious thought, self-discipline, hard-worker, tenacity, trustworthiness, a coper (physically & emotionally), practicality, reality, long-term planning, melancholic humour.

How Hoosiergal will deal with 5th houses subjects of pleasures, children, creativity, romance.

Pleasures: Likes to go on holiday and wine and dine is wonderful elegant restaurants, going to see a show etc. But can be quite prudent and conservative so the partner will have to just do these things. Always keeps a strong check on the finances so doesn't like splurge but actually really does love to. Think a mix of cultural and purely fun holidays. Needs the depth but also the light heartedness. I think that maybe once this person matures into wife and mother they may rather want to just go on calm and not too far holidays, like maybe just a weekend by the beach or in the country.

Children:
Really great while setting the correct boundaries and schedule for the children when they are young, as they need strict rules and restrictions, can cause a little bit of a wave when the children grow up and start wanting to take the reins, start expressing their own views and wants etc.
Maybe has the ability to be friends with their children but also an adult when its needed, being a really good solid base for their kids - brings in the reality of the situation. Children might misperceive this as that the parent is always shooting down all their thoughts and ideas but in actual fact they are just trying to let their kids understand the true reality of the situation, how difficult it might be, how much work they (the children) need to put in in order for it to be a success.
Any problems that the children have will be understood complete and advice may be administered. Yet there could be an element of coldness. So cut throat, black and white, BUT in actually fact the parent is able to adapt and learn from new situations, so even if they may have gotten it 'wrong' the first time, their responses, they will learn and adapt being rather unpredictable. The possibilities are endless, as love is involved.
Might not be so pro their kids doing 'arty' things, want their children to have a nice solid god job. At first, but will warm to the idea in time.

Romance: "long-term planning" stuck out at me.
So I would not say 'free-love' :) Once in a relationship, its full on and there is full commitment. Does not take relationships very lightly. Brings in a wonderful nurturing and feminine qualities, and really takes care of their partner. Trustworthy and a good source for advice to their partner, able to cope with anything that happens in the relationship as family is THE thing, and will keep things under a tight ship. Also the ruler of the house hold. Is the one that keeps the family together as a solid unit.
Will be quite creative and spontaneous about things to do, places to go, things to experience - when feeling the burn of love. Always has ideas of things to do with their partner. Maybe in time this will 'die' out, become more rigid and set in their ways - but the spontaneity is in them!
Likes being showered with gifts! maybe when younger what is was counted but with time, just getting a gift with thought put into it brings a sparkle in their eye! When in a fight wit their partner can be very stubborn and unwilling to see it from the partners perspective. Will get better with maturity.

Thank you very much Hoosiergal for being my victim!
Hope its not all gobblewash! heehee

RR

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Hoosiergal!

Post by Youdah » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:13 pm

How did you get your natal chart from What Watch into a .gif file?  I've been trying to figure out how you did it, but finally gave up and decided it would be easier just to ask you!  :)

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Re: Step 1: Getting all the info

Post by Youdah » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:38 pm

Just a few comments as I'm reading your interpretations!  :)
RoseRed wrote: Succedent (middle): Succedent houses, as a whole, have a stable, unchanging, fixed quality, deriving from their central position in each quadrant of the chart.
I associate the "stable, unchanging, fixed" description more with the Cadent Houses (end of the cycles).  The Suceedant Houses are in the "middle" of the cycle, so are still open to change, but the fixed qualities are emerging and being developed.  Kinda half mutable and half fixed quality.
RoseRed wrote: Fixed: are associated with ....(snip)...loyal and a little inflexible in their outlook.
A fixed sign is not just "a little" inflexible.  These people can be stubborn to a fault, clawing to keep their viewpoint even with overwhelming evidence that proves them wrong, especially if there are more "fixed" positions in their chart.  You say this farther into your description.
RoseRed wrote:...snip..Fixed signs...
According to astrologers, Fixed Signs tend to direct their energies inward rather than outward.
I don't think I agree with this entirely.  If you think about a Leo, this is someone who definitely puts his/her energies outward.  Taurus, another fixed sign is less dramatic, but energies are outward in the collecting of money/possessions.  Scorpio, another fixed sign, directs energies outward, also, but in subtle ways.  Aquarius, the last fixed sign of the Zodiac, directs energies outward toward humanity and grand philosophies. But, we're getting a little ahead of ourselves here.  :)

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Re: Step 2: Combining all the info - The Interpretation

Post by Youdah » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:49 pm

RoseRed wrote: How Hoosiergal will deal with 5th houses subjects of pleasures, children, creativity, romance.[/b] (snip)
Thank you very much Hoosiergal for being my victim!
Hope its not all gobblewash! heehee
RR
Ok, Hoosiergal, did RoseRed's interpretation "fit" you?  Don't be shy to say yes or no.  This is learning time!  So, if RoseRed said something that didn't fit you, please speak up, so we can look at it!  :)  For the things that are right-on, then RoseRed needs the feedback to know that, too!  :)

Return to “Western Astrology Class Questions and Answers”