The cards

Clear your doubts and ask questions. Get answers to all your queries which will help you learn faster.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Naomiel

The cards

Post by Naomiel » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:06 pm

I just wanted to know when do we start using the 3 by 5 inch index cards and what are we meant to write on them?

Thanks

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:57 pm

You can start now!  :)

Use them to write the keywords about each of the sun signs, houses, and planets.  You can use some of the information that I've given for each of these things -- as in the graphics for the Lesson 2 on the 5th House, Leo and the Sun -- or write down things that others say about the Houses, sun signs, and planets during discussions or wherever you find things about them.  Things you want to remember, or characteristics of each thing.

The way to use them is when you are doing an interpretation, such as the one for Lesson 1, you can set the cards out in front of you, for the things that you are interpreting, so that you can keep each factor in your mind while you are doing the interpretation.  It is easier to have a method of keeping your thoughts organized.

As we go further, it will be more and more "complicated" to blend many factors together.  So, it becomes very helpful to be able to pull out of the stack, for example, the card for the 5th House, Pisces, and Mars, so you can do an interpretation.  You can also do this just with pages from the notebook...but cards are a little easier to work with, but they can't hold as much information.  

Was that as clear as mud?

Naomiel

Post by Naomiel » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:53 am

No that explained what I needed Thanks... How many cards shall I need?

When can I ask you what a Transit is? And why is it so significant? What kind of changes are meant to happen? Does ot mean that something bad will happen to me? Please help!

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:15 pm

How many cards varies by how much we cover in class.  But, if you continue to the end, it will run about 36-40.

A transit is when a planet that is orbiting the sun now makes a geometric angle with a planet in your natal chart.  There are two planets involved.  One that remains in the same location, which is your natal planet from your natal chart...and then another planet that is orbiting the sun now.  There are many different kinds of transits.  For example:  If a planet that is orbiting now arrives back to the same place in the sky that one of your natal planets was at the time of your birth, then it is called a "conjunction."  If that same planet were at a 90-degree angle to the place where a natal planet was when you were born, it would be called a "square" transit.  And so on.

Transits are not good or bad.  Sometimes they can bring "bad" things.  But, that would depend on how you've lived your life so far.  If you know that a transit is coming that has the potential to cause problems, you can avoid anything unfortunate from happening by changing your behavior before the transit gets there.  In the same way, you can optimize fortunate transits so that you get the best out of them, if you know that they are coming.

Transits are significant in astrology because they are the basis for predicting what events will happen to a person, place, or thing.  Being able to predict and foresee transits that can cause you a problem or an unfortunate time is one of the areas of astrology called "predictive" astrology.  Again, when you know that something unfortunate may happen, you can avoid it.  Timing events in your life so that you get the best out of fortunate transits is called "electional" astrology.

If someone is scaring you and telling you that something bad is going to happen to you, then you should tell them to take a hike...a long one.  It takes a qualified astrologer, in consultation with the person, to really be able to predict the coming of a bad time.  The entire chart must be taken into consideration, not just one or two transits.  An unfortunate transit can be minimized by fortunate transits that are happening at the same time, and so dilute the effects of the unfortunate transit...so, this is why the entire chart must be looked at, not just one transit.  And, most unfortunate times can be avoided entirely, if you know that it's coming far enough in advance to prepare for it.

When I say that an astrologer should be in consultation with the person, I mean that it takes both the astrologer and the person to do a really good prediction about what is coming in the future.  The reason why this is important is because any transit can affect a person in many different ways.  Some transits only cause brief emotional distress, but it is a relatively minor transit.  The same transit could causes someone else enormous problems.  For yet another, the same transit would pass without anything happening at all!  The reason that there is so much variance in how a transit affects different people is determined by how  that person lives, how the soul has progressed in this life with learning the life lessons they need to learn, and their current circumstances.  No one can reliably, 100% of the time, predict how a transit will affect someone unless they are sitting with you and talking so the astrologer can assess that person's life.  So, internet predictions of transits, and newspaper predictions, your "daily horoscope," are notoriously inaccurate.

If this didn't answer your question, please let me know.  Also, it would be helpful if you said in more detail what is actually bothering you, or what happened or what was said, that made you concerned about this.

Warm regards..

Naomiel

Post by Naomiel » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:31 am

I have found this astrologer via the web and they keep writing back to tell me that I will be soon entering a Transit.... Not that I understand exactly what that is .... even though I read what you wrote but it has me worried just incase its a bad transit.

I was actually hoping it might be something good like another child coming into my life.

If I could work out how to put it up on here I would but even after what hoosiergal had explained to me how , on my computer I havent had much luck..... When I used the whatwatch it does get confusing but after pressing Radix I see that it changes.... and hope its right even though the location of birth always comes up as some place in Germany!  I adjusted the time to my birth town.

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:20 pm

Please do not worry.  This is a common "hook" to get people to buy and subscribe (by paying money).  They try to scare you with the possibility of something bad coming, or give you hope that something good is coming...and only they can save/help you AFTER you give them money!

I certainly don't begrudge any astrologer making a living.  But using scare tactics, and giving false hope to get money is not "professional."  It is a violation of the Code of Ethics.

Any professional astrologer, especially those with membership in any of the astrology organizations, are barred from this kind of advertising and tactics.  ALL reputable astrologers are required to give the basis for their readings or predictions so that others can duplicate or understand the reading.  This makes astrology unique in the "metaphysics" because many of the other "readings" such as with psychics or tarot cards cannot be duplicated by anyone else.  But, with astrology, anyone with a knowledge of astrology could understand the reading and usually duplicate it.  Why and how someone arrived at the conclusions they did in a prediction is required!

So, if someone tells you that you have a "transit" coming, a reputable astrologer would be required to tell you WHAT transit, and explain clearly what that "transit" means.  Then, if you wanted a further reading, they could offer that.  Astrologers get their income from accuracy, honesty, and fair dealing...not by advertising hooks that frighten or cause false hopes to get your money.

I've seen this before.  When I've looked at the person's chart to see what all the fuss was about, I have always found that it was NOT something of great importance, or "once in a lifetime" transit, or anything extraordinary in the chart.  It was simply and only an advertising ploy.

Also, consider that if something really bad was coming, withholding that information until you gave someone money is obscene!  Any person with a drop of humanity in their veins would warn you immediately...and money would NOT be a part of it.

Any astrologer, or any other kind of reader, who causes unnecessary worry and concern in someone is sub-human, in my opinion!

Please just recognize it for what it is...an advertising ploy designed only to separate you from your money.  If you want to have an astrologer read your chart, then find one who isn't going to manipulate you into a reading, and someone who isn't going to prey upon your vulnerability!

The class will talk about ethics later in the course.  However, since this has come up, I am posting the American Federation of Astrologer's Code of Ethics:

http://www.astrologers.com/join/

AFA Code of Ethics

I, by indicating my agreement below, subscribe to the following Code of Ethics as a condition of membership in the AFA:

I recognize that a precise astrological opinion cannot honestly be rendered unless it is based on a horoscope cast for the year, month, day, time of day, and correct geographical location of the place of birth.

I agree not to render such an opinion without this detailed information, unless the horoscope of the individual has been rectified by accepted astrological methods, or unless I positively state to the interested party that such conclusions are reached by alternative methods.

I agree not to interpolate or introduce into any astrological deduction any interpretations that are irrelevant to the science of astrology without first stating that such deductions are neither based upon the chart nor identified with the science.

I agree to respect and hold inviolable all confidences placed in me by consultation except where they may involve an act of felony or treason.

I agree not to use my identification with the AFA in any unethical manner and will work to expose those who do.

And also, to display any competence in astrology, the AFA requires that the applicant astrologer comply with this requirement:

For all exams your delineation must demonstrate knowledge of the root principles of signs, houses and planets by illustrating your astrological premise with a written explanation. When answering questions be sure to include the astrological basis for your delineation in parentheses; for example, "The native is practical, stable and dependable (Sun in Taurus), but also far more free-spirited than is typical of this Sun sign (Sun conjunct Uranus)." In addition, the ability to quickly recognize aspects and orbs as stated in the exam is emphasized.

Return to “Western Astrology Class Questions and Answers”