Intercepted Signs and Different House Systems

Clear your doubts and ask questions. Get answers to all your queries which will help you learn faster.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Intercepted Signs and Different House Systems

Post by Youdah » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:22 am

Some questions have been asked about how to calculate the different House systems, and about intercepted signs.  I have found this article that talks about these things in more depth.  I have posted it at my webspace.  It is in pdf format.  (This information is from Astro Computing Services.  Although it talks about ordering charts, please disregard the "commercial" aspect of the handout.  Otherwise, the information is very good.)

geocities.com/youdah2/intercepted.pdf

Also, I am repeating what I said in one of the threads, to get all the information about intercepted signs together into one thread.

-------------

How to read an "intercepted" sign in a house depends on the kind of reading that you're doing.  But, we can get into that later.  For now, we're doing natal chart readings, so, think of it as a difference in "growth and maturity."  The first sign. going counter-clockwise, will apply more to earlier years of life, but maturity will bring on the qualities of the next sign in the House.  

Just as a side note: you can determine when -- at what age -- this transformation will occur by counting the number of degrees in that house before the next sign begins.  Remember that each "sign" has 30 degrees, but each house has a variable number of degrees.  So, if the 8th degree of Aquarius was on the 5th house cusp, about age 22 you would begin to show the qualities of the next sign, Pisces.

You can also read an intercepted House in a natal chart as an "experience" or "growth" in that House.  Suppose the "native" ("native" being the person whose natal chart you are looking at, including if it is yourself) is doing a painting.  At first, you might approach your creation like the qualities of Aquarius (earth, yin, angular).  But, as your project continued, you would change your approach to more Piscean qualities (water, yin, cadent).  Another example of how "experience" and "growth" evolves with an intercepted sign might be that when you first had children (5th house), you would think in abstract terms about your children, a part of humanity and an expression of your philosophies of life, hoping to mold them into mini-YOU's (aquarius qualities).  But, as your children got older, you become less cold and detached, more emotionally attached to them, more nurturing (Pisces).  

Another thing that can happen is that the native isn't ever really settled in that House....things of one sign are always being "at war" with the next Sign within the psyche or with others in the environment, and this battle continues until the native can successfully integrate the qualities of the next sign.

Intercepted signs are used in karmic astrology -- just to give you an idea of another application -- would show that the native is evolving spiritually into the next sign...that growing into the next sign is that person's goal in this life, having incomplete growth from another lifetime, represented by the first sign in that house.

Something else to consider is just what you already thought...when a sign is intercepted very early into the House -- say in the first few degrees -- you would have "more" of the second sign qualities in that House than the sign that is about to leave.

--------------

If you have more information, or have questions, about intercepted signs, or how to calculate different house systems, please post!  :)

soulsearch

Post by soulsearch » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:43 am

Just as a side note: you can determine when -- at what age -- this transformation will occur by counting the number of degrees in that house before the next sign begins.  Remember that each "sign" has 30 degrees, but each house has a variable number of degrees.  So, if the 8th degree of Aquarius was on the 5th house cusp, about age 22 you would begin to show the qualities of the next sign, Pisces.
2 Questions !

1) I have seen the unequal houses. Like Rosered's chart she has a large 5th house and small 8th /9th houses.
Does it mean big houses have a major role to play in a persons life and those issues will be important ( irrespective of positive or negative)

In most charts we have ASC line dividing the pie from 1-6 and 7-12 equally.But in many charts MC line is horizontal skewing the chart more towards either the first three house or the 4-6 houses.How does this help in interpretation.

2) You talk about transformation age. But since they are calculated by subtracting from 30 ..so most of the transformation happens before 30 years?? :smt017

Also transformation regarding what areas would be determined by the houses.

Eg: Rosereds' chart her 5th house is between Aq 23 and  Pisces 29. I presume her creativity/children/pleasure/romance would have more Piscean nature around the age _________ ??

( Do excuse my math...numbers scare me :) )

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:59 pm

soulsearch wrote: 2 Questions !

1) I have seen the unequal houses. Like Rosered's chart she has a large 5th house and small 8th /9th houses.
Does it mean big houses have a major role to play in a persons life and those issues will be important ( irrespective of positive or negative)
Yes.  There is a lot of energy involved in wide houses.  Although, it does not always indicate a "major role."  As with all things astrology, the entire chart must be taken into consideration.  There may be other stronger things in the chart that would cause energy to go into another direction (or House).  Later, we will go into how to determine the weight or strength of different things in the chart so when two things seem to contradict each other, how to determine which will be the most likely to happen.

soulsearch wrote: In most charts we have ASC line dividing the pie from 1-6 and 7-12 equally.But in many charts MC line is horizontal skewing the chart more towards either the first three house or the 4-6 houses.How does this help in interpretation.
Neither the ASC or the MH is always horizontal and vertical on a piece of paper.  Some charts look like they've been rolled over so that none of the "lines" are straight up/down or side-to-side.  This can happen depending on the latitude/longitude of the chart, and also by the software that draws the chart this way.  In general, most try to keep at least the ASC horizontal, but it doesn't always happen this way.  The important thing is just to be able to locate the Ascendant and Midheaven lines no matter how the chart was drawn.
soulsearch wrote: 2) You talk about transformation age. But since they are calculated by subtracting from 30 ..so most of the transformation happens before 30 years?? :smt017

Also transformation regarding what areas would be determined by the houses.

Eg: Rosereds' chart her 5th house is between Aq 23 and  Pisces 29. I presume her creativity/children/pleasure/romance would have more Piscean nature around the age _________ ??

( Do excuse my math...numbers scare me :) )
LOL!  Well, we could hope that all transformations would occur while young, before age 30, but growth doesn't stop there!  The growth continues into the next sign always (even if the next sign continues into the next house!)  So, in RoseRed's chart, after Pisces 29-degrees, the 5th House growth would continue into the 6th House, so would also begin to take on the qualities of the 6th House as well!  Although we haven't gotten there yet, the 6th House can represent more methodical "work."  Isn't it true that as we age, we have a more "mature" approach to art, creativity, perhaps giving more dedication and structure to those areas that we, as children, only "played at?"

These kinds of transformations fall under the "progressions" kinds of charts, and these are more "advanced" astrology.  In general, learning and interpreting the basics is the most important, with different kinds of charts for later work.  Yet, it's fun to see these things now, and how different things in the chart can "chart" a person's growth beyond the personality that someone was born with.

Return to “Western Astrology Class Questions and Answers”