Lesson 3 Discussion and Interpretation

Clear your doubts and ask questions. Get answers to all your queries which will help you learn faster.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Lesson 3 Discussion and Interpretation

Post by Youdah » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:53 pm

Whew!  We have covered a lot of material in Lesson 3!  

We have talked about the Moon, the Sun Sign Cancer, and the 4th House.

We have talked about aspects, orbs, "good and bad" aspects, void course of moon, and via combusta!

Now, we are going to start using all the information we have learned until now!

1.  Please locate the Sun, 5th House, and Leo in your natal chart.  (Just look at your chart and be sure you can locate these things).

2.  Please locate the Moon, 4th House, and Cancer in your natal chart.  (Just look at your chart and be sure you can locate these things).

3.  When you have located the Sun and Moon in your charts, notice what degree the sun and moon are located.  For example, Hoosiergal's Sun is located a 4 degrees Taurus.
(from http://mysticboard.org/vi ... 45&start=0)

4.  After you know the degree that your sun and moon are located, look to see if there are any aspects with other planets or energy points such as the Ascendant and Midheaven.  Please post the aspects with the Sun and Moon in your own natal chart.  Many softwares does this for you, and shows you the aspects with all other factors in the chart.  It is helpful, though, to know how to do it yourself, especially if the software (like What Watch) doesn't tell you if the aspect is a separating or approaching aspect.

If you think this is hard to figure out the aspects, consider that in the "good old days" we didn't have computers to do anything!  So, everything had to be done by-hand, doing all the math and calculations!   

An easy way to figure the aspects is simply to look down the column (if using What Watch, this is in the upper right-hand corner of the screen) to see if anything else is near the same degree of the sun and the moon.  In Hoosiergal's chart, the Sun is at 4 degrees Taurus, and the Moon is as 5 degree Pisces.  So, this would indicate that there might be an aspect here.

Next, simply count in 30-degree increments...4 degree Taurus to 4 degrees Aries (1 X 30 degrees or 30-degrees away from the Sun) , to 5 degrees Pisces = 60 degrees.  So, Hoosiergal has a Sun sextile Moon.  Remember that a sun Sign will always be 30-degrees, but a House can have a variable number of degrees (unless using the Equal House system).  To count toward the number of degrees, count toward the shortest distance between two planets.  For example, I counted clockwise from the Sun to the Moon in Hossiergal's chart, because the Moon was closer to the sun clockwise than it is when counting counter-clockwise.  You will know if you counted in the wrong direction, because the number of degrees will total more than 180.

We haven't done this before, so if you are lost, please ask, so I can walk you through it.

After everyone has posted any aspects they find with the Sun and Moon, and with other planets, in their natal charts, we will go on.

If these seems difficult, please know that we are getting the tough part over with first.  It gets a lot easier the farther we go into this!  :)

Last edited by Youdah on Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:23 am

To give an example of what I'm asking you to do, I'll check for aspects in my own natal chart using only the Sun and Moon.  The point is for you to be able to get some practice to determine what aspects you have in your own chart.  I have used a maximum of a 6-degree orb.  Here's mine:

Sun       Conjunct  Venus  
Sun       Square    Mars  
Sun       Trine     Saturn
Moon      Square    Uranus
Moon      Conjunct  Neptune
Moon      Sextile   Pluto  
Moon      Sextile   Ascendant

Now, it's your turn!  :)  :)

soulsearch

Post by soulsearch » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:46 am

One question:

You talk about the closest distance between two planets. So actually we are working on a 180 degree range irrespective of it being clockwise or anticlockwise???? SInce I wanted to avoid using the calculation by software..just wanted to ask?

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:47 am

When figuring out the aspects, it is the closest distance between two planets, and that can take you clockwise or counter-clockwise.  Suppose your sun was at 15-degrees Aries, and your Jupiter was at 15-degrees Pisces.  You'd calculate the aspect from Aries to Pisces (30-degrees), instead of 330 degrees going the other direction.  That's an extreme example, but it will help you understand why you always use the shortest distance to calculate aspects.  :)  If I haven't been clear, let me know, and I'll post a graphic (one picture worth a thousand words...they say).

soulsearch

Post by soulsearch » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:28 am

Okay am working on the Moon with paper and pencil :)wrt to the Major aspects. Let me know if correct ??

Moon Square True Node ( north)
Moon Square True Node ( south)
Moon Opposition Sun ( full moon)

If I take a 9 degree Orb
Then
Moon square Neptune
Moon square Saturn

? :)
SS

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:48 am

soulsearch, using the chart you posted for Lesson 1, that looks about right.  You can double-check yourself, too, by clicking on the moon, and 'what watch' will show you all the aspects with that planet (or energy point) that you clicked on.  If you check the little box with an "M" it will also include all minor planets/asteroids.  Looks good!  It's good to know how to do this "by hand" because there will be times when you'll want to check to see if something is "in aspect" without running an entire chart to find out.  Thanks!

soulsearch

Post by soulsearch » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:18 am

More questions

Moon is 18 Virgo

Moon ( 18Vi) squares True Node North ( 24 Sa) ( 6 degree Orb)

Now since True nodes are retreogrades this aspect would be approaching?

Moon ( 18 Vi) Opposition Sun ( 17 Pi) ( nearly 2 Orb)

Would appreciate if you could explain the approaching and seperating wrt to the above.

As per analysis. Moon and the nodes are squares ( need to read the other lesson). .

But these are the areas where the energies are created/power generated.

Moon inconjunct Chiron ( 18 Aries)( exact)
are the areas where the energies will easily flow :)

and so  I see how the next chapter becomes important to read LOL :)

But do answer questions.:)

soulsearch

Post by soulsearch » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:29 am

Okay I did the aspect thing in What Watch ( WW) with Moon.

The red line is the hard aspect. The Blue and Orange would be soft aspect.The green would be soft aspect.The thickness of line shows the orb strength.

Or are the colours related to the elements??

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:11 am

soulsearch wrote:More questions

Moon is 18 Virgo

Moon ( 18Vi) squares True Node North ( 24 Sa) ( 6 degree Orb)

Now since True nodes are retreogrades this aspect would be approaching?
Yes, approaching!  Excellent that you saw that!
soulsearch wrote: Moon ( 18 Vi) Opposition Sun ( 17 Pi) ( nearly 2 Orb)

Would appreciate if you could explain the approaching and seperating wrt to the above.

As per analysis. Moon and the nodes are squares ( need to read the other lesson). .
It has already gone past the aspect.  At time of birth, it was 24, but moving backwards, back towards 18 degrees, so it's approaching...it's backing up, so moving closer.
soulsearch wrote:
But these are the areas where the energies are created/power generated.

Moon inconjunct Chiron ( 18 Aries)( exact)
are the areas where the energies will easily flow :)

and so  I see how the next chapter becomes important to read LOL :)

But do answer questions.:)
Yes, it's nice to read the lessons.  LOL!  As far as lessons go, I'm moving pretty fast through them.  So, missing something will really affect things later on.

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:32 am

soulsearch wrote:Okay I did the aspect thing in What Watch ( WW) with Moon.

The red line is the hard aspect. The Blue and Orange would be soft aspect.The green would be soft aspect.The thickness of line shows the orb strength.

Or are the colours related to the elements??
Colors are by kinds of aspects.  Red=square/oppositions, green=trines, yellow=semi-squares/semi-sextiles, blue=inconjuncts/sextiles

We haven't talked about the semi-squares/semi-sextiles.  They are read just like the "full" aspects (squares/sextiles), but without as much punch, more or less.  We'll talk more about what different kinds of aspects "mean" very soon...because I want to get into readings/interpretations of full charts as quickly as we can...after we get through the basics.  No one ever really learns astrology until you start doing it, and it doesn't get fun until you can start doing readings!  :)

Yes, darker lines will show the relative strength (or more exact) aspects.

In What Watch under "tutorial" and then "Aspects," there's some good explanations of what the graphics mean.  Also, under "FAQs2 Planets" from the tutorial, there's a brief explanation of all the planets, and so also the "Houses" by rulership.

We ought to start a thread just about What Watch, because questions seem necessary to understand what you're even looking at, or how to make it do something.  Maybe when I'm feeling ambitious, I'll try to collect all the posts about WW and get them all into one thread.

Return to “Western Astrology Class Questions and Answers”