LESSON 1.4 The Houses, part 4

This is a forum just for our teacher to post the learning material. Any post from students will be moved.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Youdah
Astrology Reader

LESSON 1.4 The Houses, part 4

Post by Youdah » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:14 pm

The chart can also be grouped or divided into "Triplicities" and "Quadruples."

As the name implies, the triplicities are divisions of the chart into groups of THREE.  These groups are those Houses and Sun Signs according to their element: water, earth, fire, and air.

If you would like more information about the Triplicities, please follow this

link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triplicities

Also as the name implies, the chart can also be divided into 4 groups, the quadruples.  These are groups that form a "square" in the Houses.  (See graphic).  There are two main groups of four, as below, and their brief definition:

Cardinal - Initiating, dynamic, enterprising
Fixed - Stability, permanent, unchanging
Mutable - adaptable, changing

And

Angular - Beginning (things at their beginnings)
Succedant -- Middle
Cadent - End

Just by knowing the element (triplicity), and the quads, you can know a lot about the characteristics of that House.

So, for example, the First House is Angular and Cardinal.  Any planet falling into this House would have the qualities of being enterprising and eager to make new beginnings, etc.  This might easily describe an Aries!

The lines on the graphic are just there to show that each of the elements (fire, earth, air, and water) form a triangle; and that the two different other groups of four form a square.  When all of the same group are connected by a line (as only the first set in each series is connected in the graphic), triangles and squares would be formed between each of the same thing.

So, why haven't I talked about the Sun Signs?  You're an Aries, for example, and you want to know what this "means."  If you understand the Houses, the triplicities, and the quads, you already have what the Sun Signs mean also!  

For example:  you now know that the first house means the "self."  You know that the First House is a fire element, it's angular, cardinal and ruled by Mars.  From those keywords, you can build a portrait of an Aries...and the same through all the other Sun Signs.

I was unable to make a graphic to show this easier, and MB doesn't allow a text file to be uploaded.  So I got a little space for a website, where I'll post other things of interest to the class.

To see a graph of what we've talked about so far, and a summary of Lesson One, please follow this link:

http://www.geocities.com/youdah2

If you have questions or want to discuss this, please post or ask before going on.

When you are ready, please go on to section 5

http://mysticboard.org/vi ... p?p=219304
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RoseRed

Post by RoseRed » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:16 am

By looking at your summary,

and taking this into account,
"The main 'feel' of the house is set by the house Lord: the planet who rules what sign is on the cusp.
Even if you have an empty house - don't worry - as each house will have a Lord" (this was written by another member on MB)

can I say that, so even if you don't know what the sign is of a particular house, eg) 4th house, 4th by nature usually indicates cancer?? and the planet is Moon??

ummmm not too sure :)
To Err, Human
To Forgive, Divine

RoseRed

more questions

Post by RoseRed » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:32 am

okay if you use Sun signs as a focal point then the summary you made is a great way of quickly knowing all you need to know about a particular sign.
Has all the characteristics of the sunsign there.

If you have Houses as the focal point then could you say that the 1st house's 'feel' vibe is like Aries?
But doesn't mean that the 1st house HAS to be aries, its more describing the vibe of the house???

So its a really quick and easy way to become familiar with the signs and the house energies??
To Err, Human
To Forgive, Divine

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:56 pm

RoseRed wrote:By looking at your summary,

and taking this into account,
"The main 'feel' of the house is set by the house Lord: the planet who rules what sign is on the cusp.
Even if you have an empty house - don't worry - as each house will have a Lord" (this was written by another member on MB)

can I say that, so even if you don't know what the sign is of a particular house, eg) 4th house, 4th by nature usually indicates cancer?? and the planet is Moon??

ummmm not too sure :)
Yes, you are right that the main "feel" of the House is determined by its "Lord" and by its actual House number (1st House, 4th House, etc.)

Many call the "ruling" sign or planet the "Lord."  I don't really like this term, but you can use it well and no one will misunderstand you.  I prefer "rulership" perhaps just because it takes the sexist connotation out of it...no one ever says that 'a "feminine" sign or planet is a "Lady" so why do they call them ALL "Lords?"  But, yes, you are right that the "Lord" or "ruling sign or planet" gives it the general "feel."

Yes, you are exactly right when you said, "so even if you don't know what the sign is of a particular house, eg) 4th house, 4th by nature usually indicates cancer?? and the planet is Moon??"

This is why I am grouping the "lessons" into things that are all of the same "feel," as you say.  Anytime that you see any one (or all) of that group, the general "feel" will be the same.  For example, every time you see the Sun anywhere in any chart, it will have the same meaning or "feel" to it no matter where it is located.  For example, the 8th House doesn't have the sunny, happy feeling of the SUN associated with it...but the SUN in that location would "lighten the mood" of that House just because the SUN is there!

In some of my posts in other forums I've even advocated ignoring some of the "rulerships" when it gets too muddy and complicated, since they don't always add too much to the reading.  For example, if Pluto was in the Fifth House, you already have the "feel" of the planet Pluto and the "feel" of the Fifth House.  If you also try to add in the "Sun" which is the "ruling planet" of the 5th House (even though it is somewhere else in the chart), and also try to bring in the 8th House "feel" just because Pluto is involved, then it becomes unnecessarily complicated when trying to "blend" different concepts to do a reading.  Some try to stretch this idea of "lord" or "rulership" so far that their reading becomes inaccurate, as my example with Pluto in the 5th.  This is all to say, just use the planet that is actually in the actual House for interpretation.

Did I answer your question?  I'm not always sure since I can go off on tangents and perhaps say more than is needed when a quick answer would have sufficed.

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Re: more questions

Post by Youdah » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:11 pm

RoseRed wrote:okay if you use Sun signs as a focal point then the summary you made is a great way of quickly knowing all you need to know about a particular sign.
Has all the characteristics of the sunsign there.

If you have Houses as the focal point then could you say that the 1st house's 'feel' vibe is like Aries?
But doesn't mean that the 1st house HAS to be aries, its more describing the vibe of the house???

So its a really quick and easy way to become familiar with the signs and the house energies??
Yes, that's it exactly.  We are learning astrology by the PLANETS first, and all that is associated with each Planet (including each Sun Sign and House).

I've seen other teachers start with trying to teach what each of the Houses mean.  Then, what each of the Sun Signs "mean."  Then, what each of the Planets "mean."  It is my opinion that this is too complicated, because that way, you have to learn what 34 DIFFERENT things mean.  But, when learning them by groups, you only have to remember about 10 different "vibes."  :)

Also, though, I would add-in the "vibes" or "feel" of the triplicities (the elements: earth, fire, water, air), and whether the House is suceedant, cardinal, etc.  Since these things give a slightly different "feel" or "vibe" to that House/planet/sun sign.

astrologer50

Post by astrologer50 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:44 pm

little analogy to explain the "Triplicities" is llike this

Any planet in Angular houses 1-7th and 4th -10th these planetary energies are easily recognisable by others, its like being in a shop window.

Next succeedent houses, 2-8th and 5-11th the planetary energies are in the shop, But stood behind the shop counter, there but not directly visual but easily accessible.

Next Cadent houses 3-9th and 6-12th these planetary energies are not in shop window or stood behind the counter they are in the back storeroom, like a manager and only come out when needed, or triggered by a passing transit........... :smt004

Return to “Western Astrology Class Lessons and Tutorials”