LESSON 3.1 Moon, Cancer, 4th House, Part 1

This is a forum just for our teacher to post the learning material. Any post from students will be moved.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Youdah
Astrology Reader

LESSON 3.1 Moon, Cancer, 4th House, Part 1

Post by Youdah » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:48 am

I hope that everyone has understood the idea of "blending" different things in an astrology chart.  If you have not been able to do this, without looking at someone else's interpretation, then please go back and read all previous lessons and threads before going on.  

The ability to reason out, use critical thinking, and think through, these basic "blending" ideas in astrology is very important.  When you can blend the basics together, without help and without someone else's spin on them, then you can successfully start to blend more complex topics in astrology.  Being able to blend the basics yourself is the foundation upon which everything else is built.

The Basics
The Triplicities (The Four Elements)
Angular, Suceedant, Cadent
Cardinal, Fixed, Mutable
And the individual Houses, Planets, and Sun Signs

---------------

We are now going to move from the 5th House, Sun, and Leo into the Moon, Cancer, and 4th House.

Please see the graphic.

Just like the previous lesson about the 5th house, Leo, and Sun...the 4th House, Moon, and Cancer all have similar meanings.  

I am also posting a graphic for the 4th House.  You can print this out for your notebook, or for your index cards.  You will notice that this time, I haven't given you a lot of keywords or information about the 4th House.

**So, I am asking YOU to post information about the 4th House to begin this Lesson.  What does the 4th House mean?  Can you give some examples of activities and things that are represented by the 4th House?  (Just the 4th House, please.  We will talk about Cancer and the Moon in the next sections).  

If you quote someone else's description about the 4th House, always give a link to the website or credit to them in your post.

It would be easy to just give you another list of things about the 4th House.  But, I find that the more you participate, the more I learn, too!  So we all benefit from the things you find, the questions you ask, and the information you post!  It also helps me know "where you are" in your understanding so I can tailor the class to the needs of everyone.  So, please participate!  

There is yet another reason for you to look-up and post information about the 4th House!  Those who study how people "learn" have found that simply reading something is a poor way to retain the knowledge and information!  But, when you actively seek out information, and the very ACT of writing it with typing causes that information to be "stored" more strongly in memory because it uses many different parts of your brain to do the seeking and writing = strong storage in memory and easier retrieval of those things learned later.

This is a time to help everyone find more keywords and information for your notebooks and index cards.  Like the previous lesson, we will soon start to do interpretations on the things we learn about this astrology 4th house!

I will post the next section after there has been participation with this one!   :smt007
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

soulsearch

Post by soulsearch » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:07 am

Fourth house ( Home)

Home is where the heart is. A strong fourth house would represent home, peace, unconditional love, satisfaction , learning, personality development ,instincts, emotions, parents ( father and mother),security, warmth, true *real* relationships, happiness,roots, traditions, religions, bonds, connection and feelings.

A child who knows that he can walk in to his home anytime is the one who is the happiest irrespective of the degrees he acquires .A husband who knows that after gruelling working hours his wife waits for him is the most satisfied irrespective of the job pressures. A woman who works late hours and knows that her children are safe in the house with their father is the one who is satisfied.An aging parent who puts his head on his mother lap is the one who is at peace.

Fourth house  is an angular house and talks about beginings. Beginings at happy homes are one of the best ones and strongest ones and are a blessing.Home is the true place of worship.

SO fourth house even if it is based in the nadir is the root of our total personality and areas that need to be addressed first.

Okay I will go googling now and will update if I find something interesting.

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:28 pm

I understand the philosophy behind your post.  The home being a sanctuary from the world, and a place of many activities and feelings.  However, I am going to correct the things you've attributed to the 4th House.  The reason it is important to have the correct "rulership" of Houses is because when doing detailed charts, like horary or progressions, believing that a House "means" something that it does not, would give an inaccurate reading.  That is why I'm going to "nit-pick" here.  :)

Please do not be discouraged or affronted by these corrections.  Because of this, you have allowed me to illustrate an important thing about the 4th House!  So, I thank you for your effort and willingness to participate!  :smt008   We are just beginning, so do not worry if everything isn't exactly right...that's what I'm here for...and you're here for!  :)

soulsearch wrote:Fourth house ( Home)

Home is where the heart is. A strong fourth house would represent home, peace, unconditional love, satisfaction , learning, personality development ,instincts, emotions, parents ( father and mother),security, warmth, true *real* relationships, happiness, roots, traditions, religions, bonds, connection and feelings.
Peace is not of the 4th House.  It is of the 7th House.  Peace at home would be found by transits and aspects between planets in the 4th and 7th House and their rulerships.  Alernatively, an unpeaceful home would be indicated in the same way.

Unconditional love is not of the 4th House.  It is of the 12th House.

Learning is not of the 4th House.  If pre-college, it is of the 3rd House.  If higher education, it is of the 9th House.

Security is a 4th House subject, as long as it is one's personal security (as opposed to national security or other kinds of security).

True real relationships might be misunderstood.  The 4th House could indicate relationships with mother and father, in general.  Yet, other Houses would rule whether the father of a female child and another House would rule if a male child.  Also with relationships, the 4th House would not indicate relationships with siblings, friends, spouses, etc.

Warmth is of the Sun, or the 5th House.  Feelings of warmth, caring, would be indicated by planets in the 4th and 5th Houses and their rulerships.  Happiness would be indicated by the same as "warmth."

Religions is not of the 4th House.  In general, religion is of the 9th House.

Bonds would only be of the 4th House with a general "roots" of home.  "Bonds" of investment or money matters would be 2nd House.

It is clear that you have good feelings for the idea of "home."  When someone is sentimental about their home, the "sentimentality" is of the 4th House!  :)  But, you must remember that not all people feel the same way about "home."  Some have had a miserable existence at "home" whether their home as an adult, or their memories of home as a child.  So, the 4th House does not give the kind of feelings about home, but only the feelings in general without saying what those feelings may be, "good" or "bad" ones.  The 4th House "rules" feelings and emotions in general only.
soulsearch wrote:A child who knows that he can walk in to his home anytime is the one who is the happiest irrespective of the degrees he acquires .A husband who knows that after gruelling working hours his wife waits for him is the most satisfied irrespective of the job pressures. A woman who works late hours and knows that her children are safe in the house with their father is the one who is satisfied.An aging parent who puts his head on his mother lap is the one who is at peace.
Again, please do not confuse the kind or actual feeling with feelings in general.  A "feeling" can be happiness or sadness.  The 4th House encompasses both kinds of feelings.  I agree that your description is something to be yearned for in a home, but please don't forget that the 4th House represents "feelings" and "emotions" of all kinds.
soulsearch wrote:SO fourth house even if it is based in the nadir is the root of our total personality and areas that need to be addressed first.
Something we haven't talked about in very much detail yet is the sequence of different Angular, Suceedant, and Cadent Houses.  The 4th House is the second Angular House.  The first Angular house is the 1st House.  Since it is the second in the series of Angular houses, it is not the true beginning, but only the beginning of the second cycle of beginnings.  (I hope that doesn't sound too confusing!)  So, the 4th House is not the first personality of personality development.  The first personality development is represented by the 1st House, realizing the "I am" concept, the sense of self.  Then, the personality develops by learning his relationship within the home...the 4th House, etc.

Again, thank you soulsearch!  Does anyone else have 4th House subjects?  Please do not worry about being wrong, or appearing foolish (I mention this because that's how I feel sometimes when I make a mistake or mis-state something.)  This is excellent information that soulsearch's post brought out for the class!  Thank you!

Naomiel

Post by Naomiel » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:31 pm

House of mother, parent or nurturer
Family, history, traditions, heritage
old age, endings, final resting place

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:22 pm

Naomiel wrote:House of mother, parent or nurturer
Family, history, traditions, heritage
old age, endings, final resting place
Yes, and isn't it interesting that "final resting place" and "old age" are included in the 4th House!  

In general, one wouldn't group together "home of childhood" and "home as an adult" and a "final resting place!"  Yet, in astrology, they are all ruled by the 4th House.  Does anyone have an idea why this should be so?  Any relationships between these "homes," so to speak?  Could the relationship between all these places be where we spend our time, where our body is "housed" during the respective periods of life?  :smt002

soulsearch

Post by soulsearch » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:15 am

I understand the philosophy behind your post.

I hope its because I have Saggitarius in my fourth house :)

Home is where the heart is.
Isint the heart connected to the fourth house? I read that somewhere.
Peace is not of the 4th House.  It is of the 7th House.  Peace at home would be found by transits and aspects between planets in the 4th and 7th House and their rulerships.  Alernatively, an unpeaceful home would be indicated in the same way.
Why do we attribute peace to the 7th house? Is it because it is the 12th to the 8th?? and 7th becomes the fourth from the 4th ???
Unconditional love is not of the 4th House.  It is of the 12th House.Learning is not of the 4th House.  If pre-college, it is of the 3rd House.  If higher education, it is of the 9th House.
My thinking was because parents are our first teachers they shape our personality and Home is where our basic learning takes place...and somehow however good/bad/strained our relationship is with our parents we do love them unconditionally. I understand in the earthy realities it might not be so and everyone has had a different experience with the home.

So why is unconditional love related to the 12th?
Pre college and higher education makes sense :)
True real relationships might be misunderstood.  The 4th House could indicate relationships with mother and father, in general
I understand that I could have expressed it incorrectly.Our relationship with our parent and children are the most truest one.
Yet, other Houses would rule whether the father of a female child and another House would rule if a male child.  Also with relationships, the 4th House would not indicate relationships with siblings, friends, spouses, etc.
I agree.
Warmth is of the Sun, or the 5th House.  Feelings of warmth, caring, would be indicated by planets in the 4th and 5th Houses and their rulerships.  Happiness would be indicated by the same as "warmth."
4th and 5th...will remember that.
Religions is not of the 4th House.  In general, religion is of the 9th House.
What I meant was religion that has passed on from a home.Most of the religion is learnt at home.But I have read about religion/father/higher is of the 9th House.
Bonds would only be of the 4th House with a general "roots" of home.  "Bonds" of investment or money matters would be 2nd House.
Agreed.
It is clear that you have good feelings for the idea of "home."  When someone is sentimental about their home, the "sentimentality" is of the 4th House!  :)  But, you must remember that not all people feel the same way about "home."  Some have had a miserable existence at "home" whether their home as an adult, or their memories of home as a child.  So, the 4th House does not give the kind of feelings about home, but only the feelings in general without saying what those feelings may be, "good" or "bad" ones.  The 4th House "rules" feelings and emotions in general only.
I do know that and since I have seen most of the reading requests revolving arounds making home ( 4) a better place...parent and child issues, marital issues, siblings irrespective of the houses they belong or where one finds home. I guess I did overlap things because a person who makes his profession his home would be more inclined towards 10th house.
Again, please do not confuse the kind or actual feeling with feelings in general.  A "feeling" can be happiness or sadness.  The 4th House encompasses both kinds of feelings.  I agree that your description is something to be yearned for in a home, but please don't forget that the 4th House represents "feelings" and "emotions" of all kinds.
I guess emotions and feelings are one characteristic of the Moon,,natural owner of the fourth house :) and since I do have a Moon rising I could be thinking like that LOL.
Something we haven't talked about in very much detail yet is the sequence of different Angular, Suceedant, and Cadent Houses.  The 4th House is the second Angular House.  The first Angular house is the 1st House.  Since it is the second in the series of Angular houses, it is not the true beginning, but only the beginning of the second cycle of beginnings.  (I hope that doesn't sound too confusing!)  So, the 4th House is not the first personality of personality development.  The first personality development is represented by the 1st House, realizing the "I am" concept, the sense of self.  Then, the personality develops by learning his relationship within the home...the 4th House, etc.
No its not confusing...yes I agree with personality being indicated by the first but wouldnt 'development' be indicated by the fourth.

...and please do nit pick...how will I learn?I hope you do not mind the questions..it just helps to make the concepts clearer.

Reg

soulsearch

Post by soulsearch » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:09 am

Youdah wrote: Yes, and isn't it interesting that "final resting place" and "old age" are included in the 4th House!  

In general, one wouldn't group together "home of childhood" and "home as an adult" and a "final resting place!"  Yet, in astrology, they are all ruled by the 4th House.  Does anyone have an idea why this should be so?  Any relationships between these "homes," so to speak?  Could the relationship between all these places be where we spend our time, where our body is "housed" during the respective periods of life?

I have read about this all over the net but couldnt connect at all...maybe my inability to view the same.

Would appreciate your point of view.[/quote]

Naomiel

Post by Naomiel » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:19 am

The 'housing of all bodies' in our family....and the security of them too??... interesting!

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:40 am

soulsearch wrote: Home is where the heart is.
Isint the heart connected to the fourth house? I read that somewhere.
The "heart" would be a 4th House subject as it relates to emotions!  But, as the physical heart, that thing pumping in  the chest, it is ruled by the 5th.
soulsearch wrote: Why do we attribute peace to the 7th house? Is it because it is the 12th to the 8th?? and 7th becomes the fourth from the 4th ???
You are referring to the derivative house systems "7th becomes fourth from the 4th," and etc.  But, that's not why the 7th rules "peace." Although a person can feel peaceful (4th H.) by  him/herself, to have peace with another -- whether it be an individual or country -- you have to have someone else, at least one other person (or country, or whatever).  In that sense, it is a kind of "partnership," a metaphorical "dance," so to speak.  A "partner" doesn't have to be a formalized "partnership" such as in a contract or marriage (although those are also ruled by 7th), any kind of a relationship where another is involved in some act, goal, relationship (except siblings, friends, neighbors, etc.) would always be 7th H.  Peacefulness (the verb) is ruled by the 4th House, but peace, the noun, is ruled by the 7th house.

Interestingly, "open war" and "open enemies" are also represented by the 7th H.  Within the same house, partnerships of peace, and open warfare with that partner are both indicated there....as well as marriage and divorce.  (But, we'll get to the 7th House more later).  I mention it now, so you can see why "peace" is not 4th House.
soulsearch wrote:My thinking was because parents are our first teachers they shape our personality and Home is where our basic learning takes place...and somehow however good/bad/strained our relationship is with our parents we do love them unconditionally. I understand in the earthy realities it might not be so and everyone has had a different experience with the home.
Perhaps it would be easier to differentiate father and mother as purely a biological function?  Someone can "father" or "mother" a child, but have no roles in the child's life as you describe here.  Although mothering and "fathering" are part of the 4th House, you're getting stuck on the "ideal" of loving parents unconditionally, or loving children unconditionally.  The "ideal" of unconditional love is represented in the 12th H., where the reality of what the person actually experienced is going to be seen in the 4th H.  That doesn't mean that there is never unconditional love in the 4th H., but that would be seen by planets and transits, not by the 4th House by itself.

soulsearch wrote: So why is unconditional love related to the 12th?
In western astrology, there are some cultural correspondences.  The 12th House has been likened to the love of Christ and God who loves His children unconditionally.  Without cultural biases, the same idea remains in the 12th H.  It is a kind of love that is almost unworldly, perfect, and unconditional.  A parent may "love" their children, but that isn't necessarily the 4th House, only the emotion of "love" would be 4th, along with every other emotion.  The actual relationship between that parent and the child is seen by other Houses, transits, and planets in both natal charts.  The 4th H. is going to be more the physical structure, the building with walls, roof, and floor...and the emotions there can be anything from love to hate, and anything in between, including disinterest or apathy.  

The idea of "home" in the philosophical sense, and I think this is where you are not seeing the difference, or rather the additional meanings of the 4th house, would be determined by other Houses, planets, aspects, and transits, not just the 4th H.
soulsearch wrote: What I meant was religion that has passed on from a home.Most of the religion is learnt at home.But I have read about religion/father/higher is of the 9th House.
I understand.  Yet, consider that not all people are taught religion in the home...  Separate the "ideal" and the "philosophical" home from the actual and the reality of it.  The reality of it is going to be the 4th H.  The "home" that is ruled by the 4th House can be a thing or place, as well as the "ideal."  I think you are only seeing the "ideal" of home, not all of the possibilities of what "home" can mean...structures, places, things, places of abuse, in addition to the "ideal."
soulsearch wrote:No its not confusing...yes I agree with personality being indicated by the first but wouldnt 'development' be indicated by the fourth.
Of course.  Development can be indicated in the 4th.  Yet, in your original post, you said it was the first place of development, and that isn't accurate.

Please keep asking, if I haven't been able to express myself clearly.  :)
Last edited by Youdah on Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:09 am

soulsearch wrote:
Youdah wrote: Yes, and isn't it interesting that "final resting place" and "old age" are included in the 4th House!  

In general, one wouldn't group together "home of childhood" and "home as an adult" and a "final resting place!"  Yet, in astrology, they are all ruled by the 4th House.  Does anyone have an idea why this should be so?  Any relationships between these "homes," so to speak?  Could the relationship between all these places be where we spend our time, where our body is "housed" during the respective periods of life?

I have read about this all over the net but couldnt connect at all...maybe my inability to view the same.

Would appreciate your point of view.
[/quote]

I believe it goes back to the idea of "home" being a place.  Real estate, even vacant land, is ruled by the 4th House.  The building that is the "house" is ruled by the 4th House, as well as it being a "home."  The grave that "houses" the body, even when dead, is real estate and the body is kept within it, even as the living body is "housed" in a building that we call, interchangeably, home or house.

The nearest I can think to explain it is just the relationship I've already stated.  The 4th House will rule any structure that houses the body as a place of "rest" or "peacefullness."  ("Peace" being the verb, not a noun, is 4th House).

The 4th House will rule things and places of home, houses, real estate (not just the "idea" or "ideal" of a "home.")

soulsearch

Post by soulsearch » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:22 am

Thank you so much for your response.I guess I need to work on my communication :)

The 4th House will rule things and places of home, houses, real estate (not just the "idea" or "ideal" of a "home.")

All makes complete sense and I will remember that :). However I couldnt understand *peace the noun* and that too for the 7th house when it indicates open enemies. But I will wait for the future lessons.

Reg

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:06 pm

soulsearch wrote:Thank you so much for your response.I guess I need to work on my communication :)

All makes complete sense and I will remember that :). However I couldnt understand *peace the noun* and that too for the 7th house when it indicates open enemies. But I will wait for the future lessons.

Reg
I've had to try to think of another way to explain why "peace" is 7th House.  I think I've finally figured out how to explain it.

Peace within yourself, is 4th House.

Peace with others, is 7th House.

Does that help?

soulsearch

Post by soulsearch » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:19 am

I did read your message earlier but was trying to figure it out.

Peace with others....7th house talks about partners/partnerships ....so yes it makes sense :). But funny how the same house indicates open enemies !But then that would depend on the planets placed...???

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:36 am

Yes, it can also be the planets, or the aspects.  Or, nothing at all.  The message of Libra/7th House is to balance.  While attempting to balance, the pendulum can swing to all extremes, or to its opposite.  Open enemies/divorce or partnership/marriage, peacefulness or warfare.  It is the negotiation and compromise, the "balancing" with another that is necessary to find in the 7th...or the more unpleasant of its effects will be seen.

It's easy to find balance/peacefulness with yourself...you simply please only yourself (4th House).  To find that same balance and peacefulness with another requires compromise, communication (that began in the 3rd house), but most particularly the ability to integrate another's needs/wants/viewpoint into your own sphere of activity and importance.  Everything below the horizon is "me" centered and "me" focused.  Above the horizon, things/people/activities outside the self, or "us" focused.

soulsearch

Post by soulsearch » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:58 am

Yes..I think I got that when going through the Venus 2 and 7th house.

Return to “Western Astrology Class Lessons and Tutorials”