LESSON 3.4 ASPECTS, Degrees

This is a forum just for our teacher to post the learning material. Any post from students will be moved.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Youdah
Astrology Reader

LESSON 3.4 ASPECTS, Degrees

Post by Youdah » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:00 pm

In western astrology, there are three things that have more weight in defining the personality.  They are the Sun Sign, the Moon, and the Ascendant.  (We will talk about the Ascendant in a later class).  We have already talked about the Sun and the Moon.

When we talk about a "Sun Sign," this is the sign where the sun was located at the time of birth.  Be careful that you don't confuse the planet Sun with the Zodiac sun sign!  The "Sun Sign" will be the "blending" of the planet Sun with the Zodiac sign (Leo, Cancer, etc.).  Sun in Leo, and Sun in Cancer we have already talked about.

The same thing happens with the Moon.  The planet Moon is located in the Zodiac "sign" at the time of birth.  From the signs we have already discussed, the Moon can be in Leo, the Moon can be in Cancer.  This is the "blending" of the planet Moon with the Zodiac sign.

-----------

We are now going to add another layer to the idea of blending different astrological things together.  

Different planets that are orbiting the sun (as well as other planetary bodies producing an influence, such as asteroids and energy points), can have an "ASPECT" with other planets.  

Here is some information about ASPECTS.  We will talk about "orbs" later.  

This is from "http://www.astrology.com/aboutastrology ... tsandorbs/"

Aspects and Orbs

Aspects

Along with the Signs and Houses of the Zodiac, the Aspects are key to our interpretation of a chart. Aspects address the angular relationship between planets and points in the Zodiac. To keep it simple, assume that the circle of the Zodiac is divided into twelve equal pie-shaped slices (which it is, in fact, for the Signs). Since a circle is 360 degrees, each slice of pie (or Sign) is 30 degrees. Using the Earth as the center of the horoscope, we can make the following statement: If Jupiter is at 1 degree Aries, and Mars is at 1 degree Cancer, these planets are 90 degrees apart. Therefore, the planets make a mathematical square angle to one another -- we call this a square for our purposes. Taking this a step further, if Mercury is at 1 degree Libra in the above horoscope, it will find itself 180 degrees away from Jupiter, or in a direct opposition Aspect to that Planet.

The major Aspects are conjunctions (at 0 degrees, or planets which are right next to each other), sextiles (60 degrees apart), squares (a 90 degree separation), trines (120 degrees in distance) and oppositions (180 degrees apart). Squares and oppositions are also known as hard Aspects. The energy from these Aspects generally represents challenges to be overcome or a balance that needs to be found. Sextiles and trines are considered soft Aspects. Their energy is generally harmonious and beneficial. The energy resulting from a conjunction can be either positive or negative, depending on the planets involved and other Aspects and factors in the horoscope.

A Stellium is not an Aspect, per se; however, it is made up of Aspects -- Conjunctions -- and is therefore integrally related to the general study of Aspects. Minor Aspects that are often considered when viewing a horoscope are semi-sextiles (a 30 degree separation between planets) and quincunxes (a 150 degree distance). Other minor Aspects are addressed only if their angle is very precise.

Speaking of precision, Aspects between planets are usually not at the exact angular distances listed above. In order to calculate Aspects, Astrologers adhere to an orb of influence, or a set number of degrees within which a specific aspect is effective. For example, two planets which are 86 degrees apart may well form a square to each other, even though they are not at a precise 90 degree square angle. It's safe to say, however, that the closer the planets are to each other, the stronger the aspect's energy. Most Astrologers are comfortable using an orb of 8 degrees for major Aspects, or 8 degrees on either side of the angle (Aspects) being referenced (again, for a square, this would mean an orb beginning at 82 degrees and ending at 98 degrees). For minor Aspects, an orb of between 1 and 3 degrees is considered reasonable.

Aspects and orbs are both subject to interpretation as to their energy and distance, respectively. Astrologers are quick to use the entire horoscope as an aid in gleaning the message of the various Aspects.

I am also posting a graphic to show the different geometric angles that are used in aspects.

If you have any questions about how aspects are formed, please post.

When you are ready, please continue to the next section about "orbs."

http://mysticboard.org/vi ... p?p=221017

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Youdah on Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

soulsearch

Post by soulsearch » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:04 pm

This was interesting.I think I will try looking at the software and learn these new words.

Thank you.

ETA:Squares and oppositions are also known as hard Aspects. Would these mean negative?

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:13 pm

In What Watch, the aspects are in the "Aspectarian."

Youdah
Astrology Reader

Post by Youdah » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:10 am

soulsearch wrote:
ETA:Squares and oppositions are also known as hard Aspects. Would these mean negative?
Since I knew that I was going to be talking about this very soon in a section, I waited until that section was posted, so I could just direct you to it (instead of typing the answer twice!).

About good and bad, negative or positive aspects, please see this post:

http://mysticboard.org/vi ... hp?t=56802

astrologer50

Post by astrologer50 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:30 pm

in MY opinion you shouldnt even be looking at "aspects" until you have learnt what ALL the 10planets mean in the signs and in the houses....

I am trained Adult Educ teacher, trained by my local education department, I have written and taught my own diploma on astrology, plus public speak and lecture onboard cruise ships.

There needs to be methodolgy for complete beginners and teaching them the aspects should be towards the last thing............

Return to “Western Astrology Class Lessons and Tutorials”