LESSON 12.1 Rulerships

This is a forum just for our teacher to post the learning material. Any post from students will be moved.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Youdah
Astrology Reader

LESSON 12.1 Rulerships

Post by Youdah » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:58 pm

As needed, we can discuss this, and I will add to this post.  Rulerships can be complicated, and confusing.

I am making a separate lesson for rulerships, because it is one of the often misunderstood parts in doing an interpretation.

During each of the lessons, I have grouped the factors covered in that lesson according to the planet that "rules" each Sun Sign and House.  This is called the planet's "rulership."  I have given the modern rulerships.  

Ancient astrology used different planets for rulerships of the Sun Signs and Houses.  One of the big differences is that in ancient times, the outer planets were not known, and so not used at all.  Some astrologers continue to use "traditional" rulerships.  In my opinion, this causes inaccurate and incomplete readings.  If we believe that the planets influence us on some level, which is the basis for astrology, then ignoring new developments in astrology is like ignoring the discovery of penicillin because it was never used before.

There are different kinds of rulerships.  In any chart, the Sun Sign, and so the ruling planet of that Sun Sign, that is on the Ascendant is the Chart Rulership.  If Pisces is the Ascendant in a chart, for example, the Chart Rulerships will be Neptune and Jupiter.  This means that these planets have special importance and casts a "Neptunian" and "Jupiterian" (is that a word?) energy over the entire chart, and not just the 1st House.  In a natal chart, the native's identity and walk through life in all areas will always be relevant, and seen by the native, through the energies of Neptune and Jupiter.  These planets will, in a significant way, "shape" that person's life.  This will be an influence over the native even if there is nothing else in the chart to give much meaning and force to the Chart Rulership planet(s).

Another situation of rulerships is when two planets are in each other's House and/or Sun Sign of rulership.  They are in mutual reception.  In this circumstance, even though the planets are in their "fall," the energies of each other are interpreted as if they were in their exaltation.  The placement will be read as if both planets were each in the other position.  For example, suppose that Venus is in the First House of Aries, and at the same degree there is Mars which is in the 7th House of Libra.  You would interpret the chart as if Mars was in the 1st and the 7th House, and also that Venus is in the 7th House and the 1st House.  Obviously, there aren't two Venuses and two Mars in any chart, but this is how a mutual reception would be interpreted.  In the above example, I used a mutual reception that was an exchange of positions opposite its exaltation.  A mutual reception does not always include planets opposite their natural House and Sign, or in an opposition.  A mutual reception occurs whenever two planets are at the same degree as the other in another Sun Sign.  This can form a trine, sextile, or no aspect at all.  However, there are several rules to determine if the planets actually help or hinder each other in a mutual reception.  This is an advanced topic, so for the sake of brevity, and an introduction class, I'm not going to go into any more about mutual reception for now.  

Another good discussion of rulerships is in the Wikipedia article on Domiciles:  "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domicile_(astrology)"

So far in this class, we have learned that the rulership of the planet of that Sun Sign and House rules the entire Sun Sign and House.  This is essentially correct, since all the energy of the rulership planet is present.  However, every House and every Sun Sign is also divided into segments, usually 5 to 8 degree segments, where an additional planet is in rulership according to the degree (1 through 30) of that Sun Sign.  This is called the terms or bounds.  Again, because this is a beginning astrology class, I'm not going to take this further for now.  However, for any advanced topics of astrology, this is something to learn, or at least be aware that it exists.  This causes the energy of the (1) rulership planet, (2) any planets that are actually located in the House, and another planet's influence according to what (3) degree that planet is in while in that House...to all be part of an interpretation.

Some astrologers, and I agree, assign a "day" and a "night" rulership to each Sun Sign and House.  This can also correspond to a "Yin" and a "Yang" rulership.  Again, this is an advanced topic, but it is mentioned here so you can be aware of it.

Unless there is Aries on the Ascendant in an Equal House system chart, every placement of every planet, and every house, and every Sun Sign will not be purely of its own, but carry some of the ruling SunSign/House/planet with it regardless of what SunSign/House/planet is actually located at that placement.  That's a confusing paragraph, so read it carefully.  There is really no easier way to say this.  :)  

Rulerships become very important when doing certain kinds of charts, particularly horary and electional astrology charts.  A horary chart is a divination method used in astrology so that a chart is made for the exact time, date, and place that a question is asked.  Electional astrology is timing events for the most auspicious times such as planning a marriage on a date and time that will give the most chances for success and happiness in the marriage.  This is based on the belief that whenever something new is started, it carries the energy that is "in force" at that time, and also the planetary influences that are making transits to the native's natal chart.  We will talk about rulerships when doing specialized charts like this if we cover that in class later on.

Finally  -- and this is where the biggest misunderstanding occurs and the most frequent mistake I've seen with Rulerships on Mystic Board -- unless there is a planet in the House, then the rulership is not active.  When I say "Planet" here, I am including all asteroids, minor planets, energy points, etc., even though they may not really be a "planet."  For the rulership to be active, and to be used in any interpretation, there must be a planet in that House.  In other words, "Empty Houses" do not have any rulerships activated until a planet, by transit, enters that House.  So, do not try to give an interpretation, for example, that Mars is in the 12th House by rulership when only Aries is on the cusp and there are no planets in the 12th House.  Continuing the example: but if mercury is in transit through the Aries 12th House, then the rulership of Aries, Mars, will give some Mars energy to the Mercury that is in transit.

As we add new layers of interpretation, any student of astrology will begin to realize the complexity of any placement in the chart which effects any interpretation.  Just considering that there are 12 Sun Signs and 12 Houses, that is 144 possible combinations involved in any interpretation.  If all the aspects are added, then there are over 20,000 different possible combinations.  When adding in rulerships to interpretation, mutual receptions, essential dignities, and many many technical subjects yet to be covered, surely anyone can see why "general" computerized and newspaper horoscopes are doomed to be only general and cannot  possibly give accurate interpretations, or interpretations that are unique to each individual, or each chart that is done!  The human astrologer will always be required to do an accurate interpretation!  :)

astrologer50

Re: LESSON 12.1 Rulerships

Post by astrologer50 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:11 pm

Youdah wrote:As needed, we can discuss this, and I will add to this post.  Rulerships can be complicated, and confusing.

I am making a separate lesson for rulerships, because it is one of the often misunderstood parts in doing an interpretation.

During each of the lessons, I have grouped the factors covered in that lesson according to the planet that "rules" each Sun Sign and House.  This is called the planet's "rulership."  I have given the modern rulerships.  

Ancient astrology used different planets for rulerships of the Sun Signs and Houses.  One of the big differences is that in ancient times, the outer planets were not known, and so not used at all.  Some astrologers continue to use "traditional" rulerships.  In my opinion, this causes inaccurate and incomplete readings.  If we believe that the planets influence us on some level, which is the basis for astrology, then ignoring new developments in astrology is like ignoring the discovery of penicillin because it was never used before.

There are different kinds of rulerships.  In any chart, the Sun Sign, and so the ruling planet of that Sun Sign, that is on the Ascendant is the Chart Rulership.  If Pisces is the Ascendant in a chart, for example, the Chart Rulerships will be Neptune and Jupiter.  This means that these planets have special importance and casts a "Neptunian" and "Jupiterian" (is that a word?) energy over the entire chart, and not just the 1st House.  In a natal chart, the native's identity and walk through life in all areas will always be relevant, and seen by the native, through the energies of Neptune and Jupiter.  These planets will, in a significant way, "shape" that person's life.  This will be an influence over the native even if there is nothing else in the chart to give much meaning and force to the Chart Rulership planet(s).

Another situation of rulerships is when two planets are in each other's House and/or Sun Sign of rulership.  They are in mutual reception.  In this circumstance, even though the planets are in their "fall," the energies of each other are interpreted as if they were in their exaltation.  The placement will be read as if both planets were each in the other position.  For example, suppose that Venus is in the First House of Aries, and at the same degree there is Mars which is in the 7th House of Libra.  You would interpret the chart as if Mars was in the 1st and the 7th House, and also that Venus is in the 7th House and the 1st House.  Obviously, there aren't two Venuses and two Mars in any chart, but this is how a mutual reception would be interpreted.  In the above example, I used a mutual reception that was an exchange of positions opposite its exaltation.  A mutual reception does not always include planets opposite their natural House and Sign, or in an opposition.  A mutual reception occurs whenever two planets are at the same degree as the other in another Sun Sign.  This can form a trine, sextile, or no aspect at all.  However, there are several rules to determine if the planets actually help or hinder each other in a mutual reception.  This is an advanced topic, so for the sake of brevity, and an introduction class, I'm not going to go into any more about mutual reception for now.  

Another good discussion of rulerships is in the Wikipedia article on Domiciles:  "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domicile_(astrology)"

So far in this class, we have learned that the rulership of the planet of that Sun Sign and House rules the entire Sun Sign and House.  This is essentially correct, since all the energy of the rulership planet is present.  However, every House and every Sun Sign is also divided into segments, usually 5 to 8 degree segments, where an additional planet is in rulership according to the degree (1 through 30) of that Sun Sign.  This is called the terms or bounds.  Again, because this is a beginning astrology class, I'm not going to take this further for now.  However, for any advanced topics of astrology, this is something to learn, or at least be aware that it exists.  This causes the energy of the (1) rulership planet, (2) any planets that are actually located in the House, and another planet's influence according to what (3) degree that planet is in while in that House...to all be part of an interpretation.

Some astrologers, and I agree, assign a "day" and a "night" rulership to each Sun Sign and House.  This can also correspond to a "Yin" and a "Yang" rulership.  Again, this is an advanced topic, but it is mentioned here so you can be aware of it. SO WHY KEEP MENTIONING IT??

Unless there is Aries on the Ascendant in an Equal House system chart, every placement of every planet, and every house, and every Sun Sign will not be purely of its own, but carry some of the ruling SunSign/House/planet with it regardless of what SunSign/House/planet is actually located at that placement.  That's a confusing paragraph, so read it carefully.  There is really no easier way to say this.  :)  

Rulerships become very important when doing certain kinds of charts, particularly horary and electional astrology charts.  A horary chart is a divination method used in astrology so that a chart is made for the exact time, date, and place that a question is asked.  Electional astrology is timing events for the most auspicious times such as planning a marriage on a date and time that will give the most chances for success and happiness in the marriage.  This is based on the belief that whenever something new is started, it carries the energy that is "in force" at that time, and also the planetary influences that are making transits to the native's natal chart.  We will talk about rulerships when doing specialized charts like this if we cover that in class later on. BUT YOUR ONLY SUPPOSED TO BE TEACHING BASIC NATAL CHARTS...NOT HORORARY OR ELECTIONAL SO WHY KEEP MENTIONING IT AND COMPLICATING MATTERS FOR BEGINNERS??

Finally  -- and this is where the biggest misunderstanding occurs and the most frequent mistake I've seen with Rulerships on Mystic Board -- unless there is a planet in the House, then the rulership is not active.  When I say "Planet" here, I am including all asteroids, minor planets, energy points, etc., even though they may not really be a "planet."  For the rulership to be active, and to be used in any interpretation, there must be a planet in that House. In other words, "Empty Houses" do not have any rulerships activated until a planet, by transit, enters that House.  So, do not try to give an interpretation, for example, that Mars is in the 12th House by rulership when only Aries is on the cusp and there are no planets in the 12th House.  Continuing the example: but if mercury is in transit through the Aries 12th House, then the rulership of Aries, Mars, will give some Mars energy to the Mercury that is in transit.

As we add new layers of interpretation, any student of astrology will begin to realize the complexity of any placement in the chart which effects any interpretation.  Just considering that there are 12 Sun Signs and 12 Houses, that is 144 possible combinations involved in any interpretation.  If all the aspects are added, then there are over 20,000 different possible combinations.  When adding in rulerships to interpretation, mutual receptions, essential dignities, and many many technical subjects yet to be covered, surely anyone can see why "general" computerized and newspaper horoscopes are doomed to be only general and cannot  possibly give accurate interpretations, or interpretations that are unique to each individual, or each chart that is done!  The human astrologer will always be required to do an accurate interpretation!  :)
Rulerships are important when analaysing a chart cos it WILL BRING in poss a house with no planets in it BUT the ruler of the house will be involved somewhere else in the chart.....

Return to “Western Astrology Class Lessons and Tutorials”