DO IT YOURSELF

A forum where you can post words which inspire you, or make you smile.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Pravin Kumar

DO IT YOURSELF

Post by Pravin Kumar » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:45 am

Something I see so often abroad in the mornings is the owner of a business establishment opening his shop himself, cleaning and even sweeping the porch and dusting his furniture. There is a sense of pride as he carefully wipes the door handles and makes the brass shine, as he cleans the glass and polishes the doors.

In India, we have a peon to open the shop, another sweeper to clean the front and other employees to do all the other work we don’t want to do.

The other day a carpenter was busy at my home, making new windows for a bedroom. He worked along with his assistant whose job it was to bring the wood from the terrace, hold the nails patiently while his master hammered them, bring the tea for their frequent tea breaks and other jobs.

The second day he turned up alone, “My helper is sick,” he said.

“I guess you’ll have to do the work alone,” I said.

“No,” said the carpenter, “I’m going home.”

“You can’t,” I said, “there’s so much to do.”

“No helper!”

“But you really don’t need one,” I said.

“Who will carry the wood from the terrace? Who will hold my nails? Do you expect me to get my tea myself?”

“But you’ll lose a day’s wages,” I said looking at him helplessly as he packed his tools.

“That’s okay,” he said, “goodbye!”

Many years ago, a rider came across some soldiers who were trying to move a heavy log without success. Their corporal was standing by as the men struggled. The horse rider asked the corporal why he wasn’t helping.

“I am the corporal; I give orders,” barked the man.

“In that case I’ll help them,” said the rider.

He dismounted from his horse, went up, stood by the soldiers and as they were lifting the log he pushed with them. With his help the heavy log was moved.

The rider quietly mounted his horse, then went to the corporal and said, “The next time your men need help call me.”

“That we will,” said the proud corporal with a sneer, “who are you?”

“Your Commander-in Chief!” said the man as he rode off.

After he left, the corporal and his men found out, it was George Washington!

Do we need a George Washington to change our attitude towards getting things done? I have seen filth and dirt lying in front of somebody’s door and everybody entering having to sidestep the mess, holding their noses and waiting for the man who empties the garbage to do the needful. Or very often it’s the wife! Till then the filth lies untouched.

How long till we take the broom and clean the place ourselves? Are we like that proud corporal or like George Washington, have no qualms of moving the log? How long till we realise its part of our job?

tourbi

Post by tourbi » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:49 am

Well said.  Thank you. Image

karlenespellman

Post by karlenespellman » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:02 am

Very well said.

Return to “Inspirations And Words For Today”