The Mexican Fisherman

A forum where you can post words which inspire you, or make you smile.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

quietness

The Mexican Fisherman

Post by quietness » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:48 am

NOTE: While I was working on a paper on Economics, I happened to read this quote. I forgot the exact source of the story and the eBook just quoted this from another source. It's an interesting read. :)

The Mexican Fisherman

While visiting a small Mexican fishing village, an American saw a fisherman dock his boat and complimented him on the quality of his fish. When the American asked how long he fished every day, the Mexican answered, “Not very long.” He went on to explain that a small catch was sufficient for the needs of his family.

“But what do you do with the rest of your time?” asked the American.

“I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evenings, I go into the village to see my friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs. I have a full life.”

Rather impatiently the American responded, “Look, I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you! You should fish longer every day and sell the extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you can buy a bigger boat. With the extra money the larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet of trawlers. Instead of selling your fish to a middleman, you can negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to Mexico City, Los Angeles, or even New York City! From there you can direct your huge enterprise.”

“How long would that take?” asked the Mexican.

“Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years,” replied the American. “And then when your business gets really big, you can start selling stocks and make millions!”

“Millions? Really? And after that?” asked the fisherman.

“Well,” responded the American, “After that you’ll be able to retire, live in a tiny village near the coast, sleep late, play with your grandchildren, catch a few fish, take a siesta, and spend your evenings drinking and enjoying visiting with your friends.”

- WHO SAYS MONEY CANNOT BUY HAPPINESS?
Last edited by quietness on Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pravin Kumar

Post by Pravin Kumar » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:12 am

Quietness,

Excellent post. Already the fisherman is happy and now he is taught how to become happy again after involving himself in things that bring stress.

Reminds me when I was a student in a hostel. We all went to late night movies in that small city, almost a village, wrapped in woolen clothes and shawls as it was cold in the night. While returning late at about 11 p.m. we found the Dhabba walas (Restaurant cooks and workers) enjoying singing songs late in the night with hardly any warm cover for them. When asked why did they not feel the cold they replied: Oh cold. We eat Bajra Roti with Milk and that makes it hot in side. We enjoy this cold.

Pravin Kumar

Evard

Post by Evard » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:29 am

Happiness was the regard with good citizenry to enjoy life
as it will be your enlitened way with proper faith to not uh
worry about fame or money and be willful about benefit ..

The happiness we regard in life will be accomplished with:
non-profit prevail with some accord ed home life and aum
the Peace with Mindful Enliten begin enjoying common and
proper peaceful concern to not be unadvanced about not :
requiring money as the livelitude and be content with aum
the peace of nature we all regard as old ways before new:
economy was the basis bureaucracy as paying with money.

My basis with comment will be non-profit .. some enjoy not
working for another reason : they don't feel compelled on:
a premise they are enlitened and don't want fortune . . . . .          Evard, non-profit leader .  Manna n Games

quietness

Post by quietness » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:06 am

Thank you for your comments. :)

I know it is kinda like a "be happy with what you have" idea, but actually, the article that I read mentioned that it is only because there are executives and managers who work hard to make sure that there is an efficient production of affordable goods for people in general that the person can enjoy his lifestyle. Without these kinds of people, the fisherman won't be able to enjoy a good drink with his friends because they can't afford them. The aim of these executives is not to help us in these ways, but we benefit from what they do.

We can afford to not worry about money so much and still pursue our interest in Spirituality and other esoteric subjects because of these mundane processes. We benefit from the alcove that all the mundane economics, politics, governance, etc, made for us.

I think we should keep that in mind before we start looking down on the "mundane" from our ivory tower. :)

Peace and blessings.
"Be the masterpiece of your own life."

Return to “Inspirations And Words For Today”