THREE CIGARS

A forum where you can post words which inspire you, or make you smile.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Pravin Kumar

THREE CIGARS

Post by Pravin Kumar » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:18 am

A few years ago, I walked into my dry cleaners. It was the middle of a busy day and I wasn't focused on anything but getting in and out as fast as possible. As I set my clothes on the counter, the dry cleaner said, “Hello, Mr. White, you look busy today.” Dale Carnegie says that a person's name is the sweetest sound to their ear, and it sure did cause me to pause for a moment before I replied, “Yes, yes I am.” It then hit me — I don't know HIS name and I am the memory guy. Just as I was looking around for clues to his name another customer walked in and this customer was also greeted by name. I don't know why I had not noticed this before this day, but Nick (I later asked his name) greets EVERY customer by name!

Nick and his wife are immigrants from Africa and are of Indian decent. They are running a booming business because of Nick's attention to each customer. I always marvel at how he greets every customer by name as they walk in the door and I recently complimented him on this. He smiled and said, “Yes, my customers are very loyal to me because of this. Some have moved 20 miles away, but still drop their clothes off here on their way to work.” Nick and I have become good friends and often talk about our businesses when I drop off my clothes. That friendship all started because he took the time to remember a name. You can know all the fancy sales closes, be able to figure out what personality type your client is and have the most detailed business plan, but you will lose sales every day to the Nicks of the world who just remember people's names. Don't overcomplicate your business or the sales process. It is about relationships.

The $79 investment for my mind-expanding Memory in a Month program is miniscule compared to the impact it will have on your business. Oh, and if you are ever in Euless, Texas, you might drop off your clothes at the cleaners at Mid Cities Drive and Fuller Wiser Rd. You will be impressed. Oh, and be prepared to wait in line to do business with Nick. There is always a line!

Go for more this week!
Ron White

1.Three Cigars by Ron White

It was September 1862 and the fate of a nation was about to turn on three cigars serendipitously stumbled upon by a Union soldier, Sergeant Bloss. The stage was the Civil War, and the scene was that of a recently vacated rebel campfire. Bloss spotted an envelope with three cigars in it and was proud of his treasure. As there was a scamper to find a match to light the cigars, a piece of paper wrapped with the bounty was noticed. It was a find that would alter the course of the war.

The paper contained General Robert E. Lee’s battle plans and they had just fallen into his enemy’s fortunate hands. Lee’s soldiers were just coming off a victory at the second Battle of Bull Run and they needed to do two things. First, they had to keep the Union off balance. Second, they had to resupply their own forces. The scenario called for a daring move—just the kind of courage that made General Robert E. Lee famous more than a century after his death. His plan was to temporarily split his forces in an effort to pick up stragglers around the country as reinforcements and then reconvene for a bold move on the heart of the enemy at Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington.

When the note was carried to General George McClellan, Commander in Chief of the Union Army, it was obvious what he was holding. If the note had not been found, Lee would have had a clear run to resupply and the war would have been over in weeks, if not days. Yet, because of this find, General McClellan also had an opportunity to end the war within days. With the knowledge that Lee had split his forces, McClellan could ambush each wing, divide the enemy and destroy them at his leisure. The war would still be over in days, yet now it would be a Union victory.

So what did McClellan do? As remarkable as it seems, he hesitated and did nothing. He performed no reconnaissance and issued no orders, and not a single one of his commanders dared tell him to do so. The forces did meet in a battle that headed off Lee’s resupply mission, and that battle was known as Antietam. The battle was a draw and the war continued for another four bloody years.

One hundred and forty years after this battle, we can look back and scoff at General McClellan’s inaction. How could someone hold the roadmap to success in his hands and fail to act? How could someone in a leadership position lack the courage to be bold? Knowing success was inevitable, how could nothing be done?

While it is true that General McClellan was ultimately replaced by a leader who was decisive and courageous (General Grant), we can learn a lot from McClellan.

You see, you also have three cigars in your hands with your enemy’s battle plans. The enemy is not foreign forces, instead the enemy is you. These battle plans tell you that you will win the war of success if you:

Educate yourself
   Act decisively
   Abandon the something for nothing mentality and work hard
   Refuse the victim mindset and take responsibility for your life and success

You also hold the battle plans in your hands that will ensure your success. Yet, many, just as General George McClellan, will look at these orders and do nothing. Too many will not act. Too many will lack the courage and decisiveness to take responsibility for their success and instead lead lives of quiet desperation.

Read these battle orders LOUD and CLEAR—your success is GUARANTEED if you will only be determined to educate yourself, work hard, take responsibility and act!

The battle for success in life is in your hands. You have found it rolled with these metaphorical cigars. Success is not the elusive mystery that so many believe. It is the product of decisive actions, a lot of hard work and accepting responsibility for your life.

There you have it. You have the battle plans in front of you to ensure success. Now, what will you do? Will you hesitate and do nothing as General McClellan did? Or will you seize this opportunity to defeat the enemy and guarantee success for yourself?

The enemy is moving. There is no time to waste. You have the battle plans. March forth!

Saying Yes to Children by Zig Ziglar

In this day of two-working-parent families, time constraints make it easier for us to automatically respond with a "no" when our children ask for little things. Solution: In an article published in Better Families, Dr. Kay Kuzma offers some practical approaches we can use. She suggests we can say "yes" on many occasions, and it's more effective because it also teaches valuable lessons.

For example, your child might ask, "Am I going to get to watch my favorite television show tonight?" You have a chance to say, "Yes, as soon as you have dried the dishes and put them away," or "Yes, as soon as you have called Sally and apologized for your behavior this afternoon."

This approach changes you in the child's eyes from being a person who wants to deny him or her a pleasure to a parent who is interested in helping the child perform in a better, more mature way.

Your teenager might ask to use the car to run a few errands. You can say, "Yes, as soon as you wash it and if you will stop by the service station and fill it with gas on your way home." This way you're teaching your child responsibility.

Dr. Kuzma also points out that when a child asks, "May I have dessert?" you can say, "Yes, as soon as you have finished your salad or vegetables." This way you are attaching a small reward to a fulfilled responsibility. The child ends up with the temporary pleasure and some long-term benefits.

Practice Dr. Kuzma's suggestions and you will have taken a giant step toward raising a positive, courteous, responsible child.
For detailed palm reading and spiritual guidance Consult at: pravinjsoni97@hotmail.com

Duchess1964

Post by Duchess1964 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:23 pm

I honestly love that story.  Thank you for posting
Silver Phoenix

symulhaque

Post by symulhaque » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:14 pm

Thank you for the story. Love to read it through.

Return to “Inspirations And Words For Today”