Smoking and Atherosclerosis

Know more about mystical therapies to cure illnesses and ailments. Get an insight into alternative healing treatments like Reiki, Aromatherapy, Ayurveda, Crystal Healing. Post comments and initiate discussions here to share your views on health and well being.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

brains mouri

Smoking and Atherosclerosis

Post by brains mouri » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:25 am

One of the effects of smoking is atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis may further lead to a lot of other complications.

Atherosclerosis is the deposit of fat called plaques on the walls of the arteries. Over a long period of time the deposit of cholesterol, fat and smooth muscle cells that line the arteries become thick and get transformed into a calcified mass called atheroma. Atheroma makes the arteries hard and narrow as a result of which there is a reduction in blood flow through the blood vessels.

Atherosclerosis shows no symptoms for a long time while the arteries continue to become harder and narrower. But when the artery is damaged due to excessive deposition of fat there can be a number of complications. The fatty deposits may cause the arteries to rupture which might lead to a clot that can block an artery and stop the blood supply. Depending on the location of the block the smoker might suffer from a stroke, angina or a heart attack. A blood clot in any area of the brain may lead to stoppage of oxygen supply which may further lead to paralysis affecting one side of the body. This is called Ischemic stroke. When a brain artery affected by Atherosclerosis ruptures, there can be considerable brain damage. The other effects are reduced heart function, swelling in some of the arteries, high blood pressure and renal failure in the kidneys.

The main reasons that lead to Atherosclerosis are smoking, high blood pressure, a family history of Atherosclerosis, diabetes, excess weight, high fat diet, high alcohol intake or a sedentary lifestyle. One should try  and get rid of this habit.

lilmogirl

Thank you for this tidbit...

Post by lilmogirl » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:49 pm

I stopped smoking over 7 years ago. Now I wish that my husband would quit. Anyway, my mother has been diagnosed with Atherosclerosis and Angina, but the ironic thing is she never smoked a day in her life. She might have gotten it from being around second hand smoke, which they say is much more toxic. They were able to pretty much deal with the Atherosclerosis but I guess the Angina will be an ongoing thing. The Atherosclerosis was what was causing - what you call T-strokes or Mini-Strokes. I'll never forget the first one she ever had, it scared the you know what out of me, but it didn't last long. She suffered with the strokes for more than two years until they discovered the Atherosclerosis. They didn't discover the Angina until years later, but now when the Angina acts up she has to take Nitro. I just thought that I would add a personal experience to the above statement. And I agree with Brains mouri, if you smoke please find a way to quit, you are only killing yourself and harming those around you that do not smoke. Being an ex-smoker myself, I do know how hard it is to quit. But just remember two things: 1) Where there is a will there is a way; 2) I can do anything I set my mind to.

Love and Peace and Blessings to all,

Lilmogirl

Heathcliff

Post by Heathcliff » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:31 am

Hi brains,
Smoking is bad for health and besides atherosclerosis, smoking effects our lungs and can cause cancer. Smoking effects your heart and can lead to stroke and cardiovascular disease. Smoke effects your stamina also.

Vivek Trivedi

Post by Vivek Trivedi » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:43 am

Atherosclerosis is a disease in which fatty substances such as cholesterol, cellular waste, calcium and other substances are deposited along the lining of artery walls in a person's body. These sticky, yellowish deposits, known as plaque, build up over time, hindering blood flow.

Also known as hardening of the arteries, atherosclerosis often starts early in life and progresses slowly as a person ages. Atherosclerosis typically affects medium and large arteries in the body. Many scientists believe that damage to the endothelium, the innermost layer of the artery, is where atherosclerosis begins.

symulhaque

Post by symulhaque » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:56 pm

Thank you. I have learned a lot reading this forum.

Return to “Mystic Health Care”