Wheel of Fortune

A forum for development and investigation of ideas. Not for short questions...then Use Tarot Forum.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

danamichele

Wheel of Fortune

Post by danamichele » Mon May 09, 2011 2:17 pm

Would like to hear what everyone has to say regarding the symbols that are pictured inside the wheel on the 'Wheel of Fortune' in the Raider Waite deck.
The only one I recognize right off the bat is the symbol for Aquarius, which is on the bottom of the middle circle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Mon May 09, 2011 5:41 pm

Wheel of Fortune – Symbolism.

"The Wheel of Fortune contains probably most of the symbolism in any other tarot Major Arcana card. The angel on the top left corner is Aquarius. The eagle is Scorpio. The lion is Leo. The bull is Taurus.
These are the four fixed signs of the Zodiac, but they all have wings, signifying stability amidst movement and change. The book they are all reading (the Tora), represents wisdom, as does the sphinx resting at the top of the Wheel. These four beasts are the four Apocalyptic Beasts, the Cherubs of the four elements. (Cherubs: baby angels or angels walking with God).

The Hebrew letters IHVH (Yod Heh Vau Heh) are in the outermost ring of the Wheel, interspersed with the letters TORA. IHVH represents the unpronounceable name of God. The snake descending on the left side of the Wheel is the Egyptian god Typhon, the god of evil. The snake also represents the life force descending into the material world. (The same force the Magician is calling down). The Anubis rising on the right side of the Wheel is Hermes, a symbol of intelligence or wisdom ascending. The middle wheel contains the alchemical symbols for mercury, sulphur, water and salt, the building blocks of life, the four elements. The outer circle represents the material world, the middle circle is formative power, the inner circle, representing the Creative Force is blank, unknown.

The eight spokes in the Wheel represent the universal radiant energy, as well as the eight Sabbats of the year. The blue background represents wisdom. The planet of this card is Jupiter, the planet of opportunity, growth, success, and expansion. The number 10 is a higher octave of the number 1, empowering the qualities of the nubmer 1."

Symbolism is good to know but if you want to memorise them all, that is up to you.

Let us now go and give our views on the meaning of this card - right off the top of our head.

Shall we?

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Mon May 09, 2011 5:43 pm

By the way, Christine, thanks for bringing this up. I wish many more would start askign questions.
We can all put our heads together and go over these lessons again.

The taort journey never ends.

:)

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Mon May 09, 2011 5:46 pm

Wheel of Fortune – Symbolism.

Resubmitted with Picture of the Whell of Fortune.

"The Wheel of Fortune contains probably most of the symbolism in any other tarot Major Arcana card. The angel on the top left corner is Aquarius. The eagle is Scorpio. The lion is Leo. The bull is Taurus.
These are the four fixed signs of the Zodiac, but they all have wings, signifying stability amidst movement and change. The book they are all reading (the Tora), represents wisdom, as does the sphinx resting at the top of the Wheel. These four beasts are the four Apocalyptic Beasts, the Cherubs of the four elements. (Cherubs: baby angels or angels walking with God).

The Hebrew letters IHVH (Yod Heh Vau Heh) are in the outermost ring of the Wheel, interspersed with the letters TORA. IHVH represents the unpronounceable name of God. The snake descending on the left side of the Wheel is the Egyptian god Typhon, the god of evil. The snake also represents the life force descending into the material world. (The same force the Magician is calling down). The Anubis rising on the right side of the Wheel is Hermes, a symbol of intelligence or wisdom ascending. The middle wheel contains the alchemical symbols for mercury, sulphur, water and salt, the building blocks of life, the four elements. The outer circle represents the material world, the middle circle is formative power, the inner circle, representing the Creative Force is blank, unknown.

The eight spokes in the Wheel represent the universal radiant energy, as well as the eight Sabbats of the year. The blue background represents wisdom. The planet of this card is Jupiter, the planet of opportunity, growth, success, and expansion. The number 10 is a higher octave of the number 1, empowering the qualities of the nubmer 1."

Symbolism is good to know but if you want to memorise them all, that is up to you.

Let us now go and give our views on the meaning of this card - right off the top of our head.

Shall we?

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Mon May 09, 2011 5:53 pm

cedars wrote:By the way, Christine, thanks for bringing this up. I wish many more would start askign questions.
We can all put our heads together and go over these lessons again.

The taort journey never ends.

:)
Sorry, I mean to say danamichele. :)

TarotModerator

Post by TarotModerator » Mon May 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Any new topics for discussions please post them in the Mystic Academy room under Learn Tarot as part of the Tarot lessons.

We can discuss The Wheel of Fortune here, but any new discussions let us please post them under the Mystic Academy Tarot lessons area.

Thanks.
We run a self study course in Tarot...please sign up..work together with your fellow students...and if further help is needed...ask for help....

danamichele

Post by danamichele » Tue May 10, 2011 11:58 am

sorry for posting the wrong area!

off the top of my head, when i think about the wheel of fortune, i think about chance; you could end up in a good situation, you could end up in a bad situation, you have no control over the outcome, so you might as well enjoy the ride.
the card is kind of a reminder to relax and accept things as they come.

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue May 10, 2011 12:20 pm

Yes, I like the way you look at the Wheel of Fortune. I feel sometimes there are events beyond our control attribute to the Wheel of Fortune.
In its upright state, I would say good things coming ahead and to just sit and take the opportunities.  We need to be willing to take those opportunities.  In the reversed position, am afraid it would mean the opposite, wont you agree?

I dont think you did anything wrong by posting this topic here. Although there is a tarot lesson under Mystic Academy, but I do not see that we have reached the Wheel of Fortune yet.

Unless there are questions about the cards already posted in the Lessons, I think we can continue here.

Return to “Tarot Discussion And Ideas”