Acquiring a new deck?

A forum for development and investigation of ideas. Not for short questions...then Use Tarot Forum.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

crimsonstars

Acquiring a new deck?

Post by crimsonstars » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:15 am

A friend of mine once told me that you had to get your deck from another person for it to actually be effective in readings. I've read that once you buy one, it has to only be covered in black silk and left in moonlight for a few days and then it will be charged and ready. I've read that a real deck must first call out to you energetically before you can pick it up and have it 'work'. All of these are very goal oriented statements, but in many ways, that seems to be the point of doing tarot readings to begin with. If they don't work, then what's the point? My main question really becomes, how did you pick out your first deck and why did you decide to keep the one you have now? Have you changed decks over the years?

My first deck I used as meditation practice to identify with the symbolism and the meanings behind the cards. I had to organize and itemize them as to how I was feeling and meditate with them and the meaning I thought they all had. I wasn't too far off, after later reading the meanings, but the work itself never fully poked me into learning further. I was given this deck by a friend and I kept it separate from my other tools or energetic stuff, in a velvet lined metal box and wrapped in silk and a personal hair tye to keep them organized. I never managed to make heads or tails of a reading from them, unfortunately, as things seemed very complicated and difficult.

I don't think my experience was unique, but it did give me difficulty in actually understanding and learning it in any more useful forms later on. I've had no luck remembering all the details since then. Has anyone else had this kind of an experience?

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:04 pm

Hi,

To some degree you are right or the "ideals" are OK. However, Tarot has a "theoretical" base as well. You don't mention the deck you have been given, but I have never really strongly felt that a deck should be given by a "friend". My first deck and book didn't match and it was given to me by a friend. Not much later I bought a few other decks.

The best to do is to get the Rider Waite as a starting point. It is clear in it's symbolism and easy to understand. Use the "Pictorial Key to the Tarot" by AE Waite, it's a downloadable PDF. Decide on a spread you want to use, which is publicly used or seems to resonate best with you. From here you can spread your wings with knowledge and confidence.

There are many ways on storing your cards. The best is the "silk", you already use. I use Tibetan silk "pouches", beautiful and inexpensive. To "charge" the cards. No need for a few days in the open. Fan them open and lay them on a table at full moon, face up. Be careful for dew, or clean them in your circle on a crystal cluster. You can also attract the energy of the sun, by leaving them on a windowsill for 30 minutes. Don't go too long with this, they start curling from the heat. You can also smudge them with incense smoke.

Clean them after readings by packing them in order from "The World down to Magician & Fool. King of Swords to Ace, then Cups, Pentacles and last Wands, in one pile.  

It is amazing how many decks are available, in this, as many theories and as many "methods", don't let it confuse you. I view all decks as "artwork", and only use my own interpretations, no matter which deck I use, anyway it's more entertaining to use an elaborate deck.

Blessed be.

Return to “Tarot Discussion And Ideas”