When you draw a card....

A forum for development and investigation of ideas. Not for short questions...then Use Tarot Forum.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

AeraCrescent

When you draw a card....

Post by AeraCrescent » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:45 am

I have read people use different methods to draw tarot cards. Some just draw from the top of the deck, some fan the cards out and choose, some choose from the 'center pile' depending on what kind of spread they are doing (like if they are just learning and are doing a 'card for the day' or a '3 card spread'.

I go through the cards (face down of course!) and I 'feel' them. I set aside the ones that don't 'feel like anything' Sometimes I "hesitate' on one, and I may choose it for the spread. Sometimes I put it in the 'not now' pile for the card I am trying to draw.

When I 'find' the card I am trying to draw, it 'feels' different. It 'feels' more 'solid' It feels 'right'. Does that make sense? I am just beginning in tarot, but I am not completely new to it as I grew up with it a little bit.

Does anyone else have this experience? How do you choose the card you are drawing?
I experiement with some spreads that are supposed to tell you about your 'day' or 'mood' and they are coming up fairly accurate by this method.
Am I naturally intuitive at picking cards? I feel like I have a hard time interpreting cards and reading complex spreads though. But I feel as though I can pick them. So maybe I would be best at reading for other people... so they would understand what the cards meant for them, because sometimes I don't understand what a card means for me right away... until the event is actually happening... then I am like: "OH! this card mentioned this 2 days ago!"

I will sometimes do repitative/meditative breathing while I am thinking about my query and shuffling/drawing the cards. I feel that helps keep my head from having random songs in it (as is a problem of mine), and I Feel it helps me choose the 'correct' cards for that spread.... Does that make sense? I didn't read any specific techniques on how to go about picking cards or anything persay. Just that some people pick from the center pile or from the top of the deck, or they fan out the cards...
Time Heals All Wounds

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:34 pm

Do what feels like right for you. We all have our unique ways.
As for trying out complex spreads; well, you said it, dont try them as you said you are still learning.
Try simple spreads and them go to the complex ones.

Fanning, blowing, singing and dancing, chanting, Ummmming and whatever you do, is your own thing. There is no right or wrong about it.
I, personally, just pick the cards.

*Happi*Happi*Joi*Joi*

Re: When you draw a card....

Post by *Happi*Happi*Joi*Joi* » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:27 am

[quote="AeraCrescent"]I have read people use different methods to draw tarot cards. Some just draw from the top of the deck, some fan the cards out and choose, some choose from the 'center pile' depending on what kind of spread they are doing (like if they are just learning and are doing a 'card for the day' or a '3 card spread'.

I go through the cards (face down of course!) and I 'feel' them. I set aside the ones that don't 'feel like anything' Sometimes I "hesitate' on one, and I may choose it for the spread. Sometimes I put it in the 'not now' pile for the card I am trying to draw.

When I 'find' the card I am trying to draw, it 'feels' different. It 'feels' more 'solid' It feels 'right'. Does that make sense? I am just beginning in tarot, but I am not completely new to it as I grew up with it a little bit.

Does anyone else have this experience? How do you choose the card you are drawing?
I experiement with some spreads that are supposed to tell you about your 'day' or 'mood' and they are coming up fairly accurate by this method.
Am I naturally intuitive at picking cards? I feel like I have a hard time interpreting cards and reading complex spreads though. But I feel as though I can pick them. So maybe I would be best at reading for other people... so they would understand what the cards meant for them, because sometimes I don't understand what a card means for me right away... until the event is actually happening... then I am like: "OH! this card mentioned this 2 days ago!"

I will sometimes do repitative/meditative breathing while I am thinking about my query and shuffling/drawing the cards. I feel that helps keep my head from having random songs in it (as is a problem of mine), and I Feel it helps me choose the 'correct' cards for that spread.... Does that make sense? I didn't read any specific techniques on how to go about picking cards or anything persay. Just that some people pick from the center pile or from the top of the deck, or they fan out the cards...[/quote]    
 When reading for myself, I decide how to draw spur of the moment. Which ever way feels right. Either straight from the top or fanning out, closing my eyes while repeating the question and running my finger over the cards till I feel the right one. When reading for others I pick from the top (after they shuffle). If they are unsatisfied, i fan them out and have them pick 3.
 I am also new to reading the cards and have trouble with large spreads. But I love the practice.
 And I would deffinatly say you are naturally intuitive, if you pick the cards by how it feels.

*Happi*Happi*Joi*Joi*

Re: When you draw a card....

Post by *Happi*Happi*Joi*Joi* » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:30 am

oops... im new to forums! im trying to keep myself from double posting...

MissB23

Post by MissB23 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:49 am

I go by shuffling and then cutting it into 3 piles when I'm ready. Then I usually always choose the middle left over pile when putting them together so I use those cards.

So far, so good. I'm a newbie :-)

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:57 am

MissB23 wrote:I go by shuffling and then cutting it into 3 piles when I'm ready. Then I usually always choose the middle left over pile when putting them together so I use those cards.

So far, so good. I'm a newbie :-)
Each one has his/her own way of working. Most of the time I do the same as you. However, there is no right or wrong way of doing :)

chipmunk

Drawing cards for spreads

Post by chipmunk » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:51 pm

When i do a reading i shuffle the deck and then take the top card, then the next, then the next till i fill a spread. I do the same when i read for someone else only i let them shuffle the deck.
I agree that everyone has different ways of doing it and you should do what feels and works best for you. Tarot reading is a very personal thing so always do what you feel is right for you no matter how bizarre. :)
Never be normal !

Return to “Tarot Discussion And Ideas”