I don't believe in inverted cards. Do you?

A forum for development and investigation of ideas. Not for short questions...then Use Tarot Forum.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

marcushaendell

I don't believe in inverted cards. Do you?

Post by marcushaendell » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:05 am

I think that the meaning of the card do not change if it was inverted. Invert a card is just a matter of mixing it the wrong way...

Annaura

Post by Annaura » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:55 pm

I don't use reversal cards in my work, but sometimes it may be interesting and informative. It depends on the questions we ask, I think
Keep your head in cold, and chakras higher

Queenj1737

Post by Queenj1737 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:12 pm

I know someone who reads and she always flip and reversal cards. The only exception is what she calls "the money" card.

TarotModerator

Post by TarotModerator » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:19 pm

Hi,

It depends on how you as a reader will interpret the cards. If you included definite meanings for reversed cards at your initial interpretation it does make a difference. At times a reversed cards doesn't have a negative connotation at all. What a reader is faced with, is having double variations opposed to only the number of the cards.
:smt004
We run a self study course in Tarot...please sign up..work together with your fellow students...and if further help is needed...ask for help....

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:44 am

Hi Marcus,

Some readers (not including myself) who have no interest in or respect for the often modified meanings of reversed cards, deliberately ensure that all of their cards are in the upright (non reversed) orientation, before making their spread.  

I do not do this, but I also rarely get reversed cards to interpret.

I think that Annaura has already identified the most likely reason for this happening so infrequently.
It depends on the questions we ask
In all the years which I have been giving online intuitive readings, with only some of them using Tarot cards purely as a focus tool, I can only remember getting reversals in very few of them (< 10).

Because they are relatively rare in my readings, I probably give even more importance or significance to the intuited meanings of what few reversed cards I do get, when compared to the significance of them to most other readers.

Reversed cards in my readings (as I cannot speak for other readers) usually tend to reduce the impact or direction of what the card would have meant, if it had been upright. A reversed card in my way of interpretation never comes up as having the exact polar opposite meaning of its identical but upright partner.

Regards,

EoT  :smt006

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:37 am

I make sure the cards are all upright before I shuffle them. There are 78 cards and I believe the cards will still convey the meaning of a reversed one with another card. HOWEVER, I hasten to add, despite my conscious effort to avoid reversals, IF and WHEN I do get a reversed card, I respect it and continue my reading WITH the reversed card.
For me this means that despite my efforts to avoid reversals, it was thought that a reversed card was necessary for that reading and no other card would have conveyed that same meaning.

I do not believe cutting the deck into three or four piles and make one of the piles DELIBERATELY upside down and continue with the shuffling.

We all work differently I suppose.
There is no right or wrong. :)

Talia

Post by Talia » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:45 pm

Hi Cedars,

I am with you, I never deliberately make reversed cards, but if one come up then it is important and should be investigated and looked at closely :)

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:13 pm

Talia wrote:Hi Cedars,

I am with you, I never deliberately make reversed cards, but if one come up then it is important and should be investigated and looked at closely :)
My thoughts exactly Talia. Why create reversed cards artificially like some people do during their shuffling of the cards?

silaren

I do

Post by silaren » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:17 am

I guess I'm the only one who reads reversals? I do this because this was how I first learned how to read the tarot, and for a long time I kept to this way because for me it opened the door to new dimension of meanings. I will occasionally read upright if there are no options to read reversals, i.e., on some mobile apps (if I don't have my cards on me somewhere). I still like to think of chance, fate and destiny. For some reason, the reading is meant to be as it is at that point in time.

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Post by eye_of_tiger » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:51 pm

I always read and interpret reversals if they are already there, but I would never create them artificially.

EoT

chongjasmine

Post by chongjasmine » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:06 am

I don't use inverted card as well.
78 cards are already a high drain on my memories.

eye_of_tiger
Site Admin

Use your own card meanings, instead of remembering someone else's

Post by eye_of_tiger » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:30 am

chongjasmine wrote:78 cards are already a high drain on my memories.
My advice would be for you not to try remembering the meanings which are given to each card in the Tarot deck by someone else, but to develop your own.

Early on in your development as a Tarot reader, get comfortable with your chosen deck and write down in your personal journal or notebook the story which each of the cards one at at a time is telling you.

These meanings will consequently be written in the language of your unconscious mind, which could give a very different meaning to the card when compared to the meaning given to it by another reader.

Do not be afraid at first to have your journal or notebook handy beside you, for the purpose of consulting it it when giving your readings (without having your client in the same room, as you regularly consulting your notes during a reading might not inspire their confidence in you as a valid reader).

No need for you to have to rely exclusively on your memory, to be able to do this.

After practising this for a while it should become more automatic. The information will be moved from the short term memory to the longer term memory storage area of your brain.

Then you can then gradually keep your journal or notebook closed during readings, and use your memory for something else more useful than attempting to remember Tarot card meanings (either someone else's or your own).

Use any feedback from your querents or clients to determine whether your card meanings accurately and reliably reflect their experiences or reality. If not, return to your journal or notebook to revisit or re-tune the meaning which you will give to that particular card in future.

EoT &nbsp;:smt023

Payewacker

Re: I don't believe in inverted cards. Do you?

Post by Payewacker » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:31 pm

I absolutely believe in reversed cards. My meanings has a different meaning altogether as was said some reversed cards are in fact favourable. so yes based on my own interpretations my cards will have double the number of meanings.

Talia

Post by Talia » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:07 pm

Nice to pick up on an old discussion. The tile is a bit confusing really, believing or not believing is irrelevant, its whether or not they turn up lol!

Nice to see you PW

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:13 am

Hi Talia

I make a point of shuffling the cards in a way it will be upright or reversed. Calling it, making a huge circle and making a royal mess of them before bringing them together again.

Blessed be

Return to “Tarot Discussion And Ideas”