how to grow orchids?

Learn more about gardening and get tips on making your garden perfect. Know which plants to grow and flowers to sow based on your zodiac signs.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

ConfusedMind

how to grow orchids?

Post by ConfusedMind » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:10 pm

I just wondered if i could grow orchids at home? can anyone give some ideas?
I'm weird

Cascade of Light

Post by Cascade of Light » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:29 pm

I grow orchids, not very well but I do try.  Its easier to start them from cuttings and you need proper orchid compost and food, and some clear pots as they feed through their roots too. Well depends on the kind I think. I have only PHALAENOPSIS, if I spelt that right lol.  try www.orchids.com as they have free advice  :)

Cassie
A cascade of light shone down on me, then the angels spoke, and set me free,
Cas x

nighthawk

Post by nighthawk » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:06 am

YES! you can. Much easier to do than you think. I had a houseful before I was working and in school all the time. Phalenopsis (sp?) are the easiest ones to grow. I used a mix of peat moss and spagnum moss for mine. You need a window with strong indirect light and good humidity levels. They do breathe and get moisture through their roots and some of them need to be exposed all the time. If the roots are fat and green, your plant is healthy. If you start to get crown rot or a broken root, sprinkle cinnamon on it. It's an anti-fungal anti=bacterial and doesnt poison the plant. With good general care they will live for years and years. I used clay pots because they held moisture better. They like to be stuffed rather tighter in their pots than most plants. Repot once a year or every other year after it's done blooming. Go for it! Orchids are the most rewarding flower for the work IMO.

Elgina

Post by Elgina » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:27 am

This was really helpful. I will use the directions of nightawk and hope my wish of growing orchids will get fulfill this time.

misty sur

Post by misty sur » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:40 am

can anybody tell me how i can preserve my bonsai plants? because i seem to have some problem with them. they don't grow in my apartment, they just die after a few of purchasing. please help me with some advice.
Have fun, have faith in yourself and always have the best food!

jenniferi

Post by jenniferi » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:28 pm

I will definetly try to raise an orchid. :)
Jennifer
Virtual-Assistant-Advocate

ConfusedMind

Post by ConfusedMind » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:19 am

thanks Cassie and nighthawk for your suggestions. my revisit to this thread has been late. in the meantime, i had forgot about this.  but now, i feel interested again.
I'm weird

mathu

Post by mathu » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:57 am

hope it'll be of gr8 use

8harshal8

my neighbour has got lots of orchids

Post by 8harshal8 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:48 am

i will ask him for tip and let you know...

Kiki04

Hello there

Post by Kiki04 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:49 pm

misty sur wrote:can anybody tell me how i can preserve my bonsai plants? because i seem to have some problem with them. they don't grow in my apartment, they just die after a few of purchasing. please help me with some advice.
From my understanding they are outdoor plants. Where in your apartment do you keep it? Maybe it might grow best by a window? I wanted to buy one and the man selling them told me that they need a lot of sunlight. Good luck with yours! :)
"All you need is love." The Beatles :)
<3

Return to “Mystic Gardening”