What is your favorite flower?

Learn more about gardening and get tips on making your garden perfect. Know which plants to grow and flowers to sow based on your zodiac signs.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Blue.Moonstone

What is your favorite flower?

Post by Blue.Moonstone » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:56 am

I realized there aren’t many gardening topics here. We must have at least one type of flower that we like. How can we live without them? They bring smile to us.  So I decided to create this thread and ask what’s your favorite flower? Are you growing them or have you? What makes you like them and any tips on growing them? I love flowers and would love to discuss them with anyone who’s interested. ^^
Check Out Your Zodiac Flower Sign

yanni

Post by yanni » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:04 pm

I love the odour of jasmine :)

rleeq

Roses Roses Roses

Post by rleeq » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:44 pm

Absolutely Roses...In the hierarchy of the plant kingdom if there is an Empress  it would have o be the Rose. (Orchids are just drag queens) I have grown them in the past and It was always a pleasure beyond my ability to express when a new bud would begin opening. Unfortunately I now live in So. Florida and the Roses don't do so well her. The heat you know. Roses require allot of sunlight but down here the sun is like a laser.
Rev. R'

Blue.Moonstone

Post by Blue.Moonstone » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:14 am

Yes I love the smell of Jasmine too. But I never get a chance to grow them and donno will I ever get a chance to. It would be lovely if someone can share their experience with Jasmine. Perhaps I might grow them one day.

And yes, Roses are one of the most pretty flowers. But I never have any luck with it. I'm pretty good with a lot of plants but don't know why I'm so bad with roses. Any tips on growing them?

rleeq

Roses can be tricky

Post by rleeq » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:27 pm

Roses want very specific growing environments. Lots of  Sun. 8 hours a day at least. But...they don't do well in really hot zones. (planting zones 9 and 10 are the hottest) They actually get sunburn. So there is the tricky part. Gotta figure out how to get them lots of sun without burning them.  Give them a good fertilizer, (horse or cow manure works very well) every three months. Water them regularly. To bloom they require lots of water. Of course don't drown them. Make sure your soil drains well. Also water the plants at the base not on the plant itself. Water droplets act like magnifying glass and can cause damage.
Plant them deep but don't cover the first branching. I Use potting soil to grow them in. They like good loamy soil with lots of organic matter in it. (grass clippings, dead leaves and so on)
Roses want to grow for you. They really are a very hardy plant. They might survive a light frost (The buds will die but the plant will recover) but a hard freeze will kill them dead. If you live in northern latitudes you can grow them in containers and bring them indoors in winter.
Roses come in 2 grades. 1 (at least 3 canes minimum 5/8 diameter) and 1 1/2 2 canes minimum 5/8 diameter.)  Starting with grade 1  will give you a better chance of healthy growth.
Roses are particularly susceptible to black-spot disease, rust and powdery mildew. Good air circulation will help with these. Many bugs like roses and are there are too many to discuss them all here but, if you are going to grow Roses you are going to get aphids on them. For my money the best cure fro aphids are Ladybugs. You can buy them through the mail inexpensively and they just love a tasty aphid lunch.
I guess you can tell I've given some thought and study on the subject of Roses. There are many good books on growing roses and I've read more than a few f them. For a quick understanding of how to grow Roses I recommend Ortho's "Complete Guide To Roses."
If I can help in any way let me know.
Rev. R'

misty sur

Post by misty sur » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:47 am

the information you gave on growing roses, is really helpful. i love roses too. they are my favorite flowers.
Have fun, have faith in yourself and always have the best food!

Nova

favourite flower

Post by Nova » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:25 am

Hello friends,
                 I feel happy when I am surrounded with yellow and orange flowers...roses too in these colors. I also like fragrant flowers like jasmine
Regards
Nova

srimathi29

GARDENING

Post by srimathi29 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:34 pm

From my child hood love gardening.Now i have got potted plants with roses.jasmine,and different indoor plant.Spend some time with my plants which makes me happy.

jenniferi

Post by jenniferi » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:25 pm

It seems that both homes I have had ... I have planted lilacs for sure outside. I have had my houseplants for many years, but the lilacs I am very drawn to.
Jennifer
Virtual-Assistant-Advocate

jasuh

flowers

Post by jasuh » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:05 am

fav flower is a carnation   secure and pretty
you are your own

lilmogirl

What is My favorite flower?

Post by lilmogirl » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:21 pm

I love the purple bearded iris. Several of them grow in the grass in my yard. I hate it when the lawn guy comes and mows them down. I don't have control over it though because I rent and the management pays the lawn guy. I told the lawn guy about it one day last year and he said transplant them. So today I am going to prepare the built in planter off of my front porch and I am going to replant them in there.
Love and Peace and Blessings,

Lilmogirl

OBXloco

Zodiac Flower

Post by OBXloco » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:54 pm

[color=indigo]Merry Meet All,

My flower is the Rose & Red Tulip. Fancy that since they are my favorite flowers.  :smt007 I hope to enjoy my moments here in the forum.

Babette[/color]

mathu

Post by mathu » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:56 am

hope it'll be of gr8 use

Vivek Trivedi

Post by Vivek Trivedi » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:36 am

my favorite flower is rose.i like the smell which comes out of it.also i love rose,in ancient times people used to use its leaf as a plate,it has a light smell and it attracts me completely.

Aquo

Post by Aquo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:03 pm

Sunflowers are my number #1. Aren't they cute? Anyone else like sunflowers? You can eat them too (laugh) :D

~aquo
Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration. ~Thomas Alva Edison

Return to “Mystic Gardening”