Has anyone heard about the 13th zodiac ophiuchus?

Meet people born under Sagittarius here

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

BboydARX

Has anyone heard about the 13th zodiac ophiuchus?

Post by BboydARX » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:33 pm

My birthday lands on the 15th of december. I've always been curious about Ophiuchus. Does anyone know?

enumero123

Post by enumero123 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:21 pm

Definition:  [Sun Signs - Solar Zodiac] Ophiuchus, the sign of the Serpent Bearer, is the 10th sign of the Real Solar Zodiac.

However, although it lies on the Ecliptic it is not one of the signs of either the Tropical Zodiac of standard Western Astrology, or the Sidereal Zodiac of standard Vedic astrology.

This problem is one of the most contentious issues in modern astrology. I know the subject of Ophiuchus causes us lots of grief as astrologers. But it's up there in the heavens. It exists. We can't ignore it.

The Thirteenth Sign? Ophiuchus is often mistakenly called the 'thirteenth sign of the zodiac' because the sign is thought of as an additional sign to the the twelve Tropical or Sidereal signs.

In fact, Ophiuchus is a Sun-sign in the Real Solar Zodiac, i.e. the Sun can be seen against the stars of Ophiuchus between 30th November and 17th December each year. [The dates of the cusps move a little from one year to the next, so sometimes they are quoted as 1st December to 18th December.] Aquarius, the Water Carrier, is the actual 13th, and last, sign of the Real Solar Zodiac.

Ophiuchus in the Planetary Zodiac: As Ophiuchus is a Sun-sign it is also a member of the Planetary Zodiac and the Lunar Zodiac, i.e. as well as the Sun, the planets and the Moon can frequently be seen against the stars of Ophiuchus, from the view point of the Earth.

The planet Pluto could be found in Ophiuchus until the end of 2003, after which it passed into Serpens Cauda, the Serpent's Tail. The Centaur object, the minor planetoid Chiron, was visible against the stars of Ophiuchus until November 2001, after which it passed over the border into Sagittarius. Venus and Mercury can be found in Ophiuchus for a time each year. Shown right is an example of a star chart for Pluto in Ophiuchus in June 1999.

So why isn't Ophiucus in the Commonly-Used Western Zodiac? Ophiuchus is an Ancient Greek constellation. The Serpent Bearer is one of the original Ptolemy constellations, appearing in Al Magest Star Catalogue [c 130 - 170 AD]. He also appears on the Farnese Globe, a Roman copy of a circa 2nd century BC depiction of Atlas holding the Celestial Sphere above his head. So why isn't Ophiuchus a member of the standard astrological zodiac - the Tropical Zodiac?

Good question! Ophiuchus is a Sun-sign. The Moon and planets all are seen against the stars of Ophiuchus. Unfortunately, the answer to the question is that Ophiuchus isn't in the Tropical Zodiac not because there is something wrong with Ophiuchus but because there is something wrong with the Tropical Zodiac.  The Tropical Zodiac  is an inaccurate oversimplification of the heavens dating from a time when we did not have telescopes or computers. Follow the Zodiac Wheels link for a description of the history of the Zodiacs.

enumero123

website explaining

Post by enumero123 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:06 pm

http://the-red-thread.net/ophiuchus2.html

LIST OF KEY WORDS DESCRIBING THE SIGN OF OPHIUCHUS

* interpreter of dreams, vivid premonitions,
   * attracts good luck and fruitful blessings,
   * serpent holder, lofty ideals,
   * a seeker of peace and harmony,
   * doctor of medicine or science, natural-pathic,
   * adds, increases, joins, or gathers together
   * poetical, inventive nature, expanding qualities,
   * seeks higher education and wisdom,
   * overseer, supervisor of work,
   * fame - either grand, or completely misunderstood,
   * longevity, aspirations of healing the ills of man,
   * architect, builder, reaches for the stars, figuratively and literally,
   * tax assessor, or levys taxes,
   * astrological talents, intuitive,
   * large family indicated, but apt to be separated from them when young,
   * the number twelve holds great significance,
   * foresight and good fortune to benefit from hard times,
   * has secret enemies in family or close associations,
   * many jealous of this subject,
   * notable father, apple of father's eye when young,
   * high position in life expected [depending on aspects] highest fame and legend comes after death
   * feelings of granular, wise, genius mentality,
   * likes to wear clothing of vibrant colors, and plaids in particular,
   * receives the favor of those in authority.

ACTUAL TRUE ZODIAC

1. ARIES = APRIL 19 - MAY 13
  2. TAURUS = MAY 14 - JUNE 19
  3. GEMINI = JUNE 20 - JULY 20
  4. CANCER = JULY 21 - AUG 9
  5. LEO = AUGUST 10 - SEPTEMBER 15
  6. VIRGO = SEPTEMBER 16 - OCTOBER  30
  7. LIBRA = OCTOBER 31 - NOVEMBER  22
  8. SCORPIO = NOVEMBER 23 - NOVEMBER  29
  9. OPHIUCHUS = NOVEMBER 30 - DECEMBER 17
 10. SAGITTARIUS = DECEMBER 18 - JANUARY 18
 11. CAPRICORN = JANUARY 19 - FEBRUARY 15
 12. AQUARIUS = FEBRUARY 16 - MARCH 11
 13. PISCES = MARCH 12 - APRIL 18

BboydARX

Post by BboydARX » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:22 pm

Wow thanks! Its just kinda weird how my sun sign of Sagittarius describes me, as well as Ophiuchus, as well as my rising sign of cancer. So multidimensional. Thanks again!

Namaste.
Louis

Lavender-oasis

13th sign

Post by Lavender-oasis » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:09 am

I have heard of a thirteenth sign but always thought it had the symbol of a spider.

b44frl

Ophiuchus

Post by b44frl » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:35 am

I am glad someone brought this up because it is the exact reason for me joining this forum--get get info on Ophiuchus!  My birthday falls on Nov. 29 and I have been told I fall under this sign. When do the shifts in dates change? Is there an ephermeris that shows Ophiuchus' position for a given year?
JLW

Return to “Sagittarius - November 21 - December 20”