Question about the meaning of the month and day of Chinese Astrology signs

Know your Sign according to your year of birth and discuss Chinese Astrology here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Scorpio_Snake_Is_Awesome

Question about the meaning of the month and day of Chinese Astrology signs

Post by Scorpio_Snake_Is_Awesome » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:38 am

If I may be so confused, I'd like to ask what exactly the "Month" or "Day" sign of Chinese Astrology under which you were born means? As in, the hour of birth represents the "ascendant" of Chinese Astrology, and the year meaning the actual character.

I've searched over many a site and can't find an answer. An answer would be duly appreciated.

Thanks.

whitey

Post by whitey » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:28 pm

the day represents wat u r ..

Scorpio_Snake_Is_Awesome

Post by Scorpio_Snake_Is_Awesome » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:23 am

Though I do appreciate the response in full, I was already of the impression that the Year represents what you are, or at least what you are in character. If the day represents what you are, in what way does it, if I may ask for expansion on the matter (not to be demanding or clamorous)?

It also makes me ponder what the month means, or if it's just the Chinese equivalent of the Western Astrology's Zodiac Sun Sign all-together (though I'm not hoping such).

whitey

Post by whitey » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:51 pm

In Chinese astrology each individual personality is associated with an animal sign that represents it. It is a common misconception that there are only the singular animals assigned by year. Many western descriptions of Chinese astrology descriptions draw solely this system. In fact, there are also animal signs assigned by month and hours of the day.

Each year in the 60 year cycle contains 12 animals, each with five possible elements, which distinctively vary the base animal's personality which equals to 60 possible combinations. These yearly cycles represent what others perceive you as being or how you present yourself. The inner animal is assigned by the month of birth. This dictates your love life and inner persona and is critical to a proper understanding of your compatibility with other signs. It may be considered what the individual wishes to become, or believes to be their true self. The secret animal is assigned by the hour of birth and so it is important to know the exact time of birth to determine it correctly. It is your own true sign which your personality is based on. It is important to compensate for daylight saving time or any clock adjustment performed by your country in determining this sign, as it is mapped according to the sun's location and not the local time.

To sum up, while a person might appear to be a dragon they might actually be a snake internally and an ox secretively. Combined with the five elements, this makes for 8,640 possible combinations (five elements, 12 animals, 12 months, 12 times of day) that a person might be. These are all are critical for the proper use of Chinese astrology. Many Western displays of the Chinese zodiac omit these, as well as the elements, for easier consumption and understanding.

whitey

Post by whitey » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:52 pm

The Chinese zodiac is also used to label times of day, with each sign corresponding to a "large-hour" or shichen (時辰), which is a two-hour period. (24 divided by 12 animals) The large-hour in which a person is born is their secret animal, as stated above.

23:00 - 01:00: rat
01:00 - 03:00: ox
03:00 - 05:00: tiger
05:00 - 07:00: rabbit
07:00 - 09:00: dragon
09:00 - 11:00: snake
11:00 - 13:00: horse
13:00 - 15:00: sheep
15:00 - 17:00: monkey
17:00 - 19:00: rooster
19:00 - 21:00: dog
21:00 - 23:00: pig

whitey

Post by whitey » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:54 pm

I believe .. The day is wat everyone else see u as..

Scorpio_Snake_Is_Awesome

Post by Scorpio_Snake_Is_Awesome » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:15 am

I thought the hour of birth is your 'ascendant' or how others perceive you, though? So if the month of birth is the 'inner persona' or 'love life', then the day of birth equals out the hour of birth, if I may be so bold?

Return to “Chinese Zodiac”