Why no cat in Chinese Astrology

Know your Sign according to your year of birth and discuss Chinese Astrology here.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123

Gillian

Post by Gillian » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:12 am

Was the Cat (typically female representative?) ever considered a symbol for the Chinese Astrological table?
I came across a story about how 12 animals were especially chosen because of their particular attributes and were invited to the Jade Heaven. The Rat was jealous that the Cat was to be included and didn't pass on the invitation.
When only 11 animals arrived, a courtier rushed to Earth and grabbed the first animal he came across - the Pig - and by the time the Cat realized what was happening it was too late, the 12 places were filled.

Any information on this matter to pass on?

Gillian

virinchi

Post by virinchi » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:19 am

cat, tiger, lion, leopard all come from same species
so take tiger

Gillian

Post by Gillian » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:26 am

Thank you so much.....this simple explanation has eluded me!

Gillian

Betrayed

Post by Betrayed » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:49 pm

I know about the story... but I forgot about it... The Cat was sort of betrayed by the Rat...

Maybe the tiger ate the cat up.... no that was made up...

Crissangel

Post by Crissangel » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:38 pm

As from what I know... Different country had a bit difference in Chinese astrology signs... There is one I had came to know about it is that there is Cat in the 12 signs... But I think they exclude 1 other signs... I had forgot about which sign is exclude...
(^_^) Wish everyone to be happy...

cleopatraXIII

Post by cleopatraXIII » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:48 am

The Rabbit is the sign that is also considered the Cat.  I love the story about why the cat hates the rat to this day. Because he forget to invite him to Buddha's meeting.

ragun

interesting note

Post by ragun » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:57 am

If you ask me, they should have included the fox.

All the Chinese say about the cat is that it is glutenous. Cats in general are not popular as pets and lots of stories that do include cats don't portray them as the wonderful creatures they are.

In fact, I am more surprised that they didn't include the fox because there are more stories and Chinese sayings & idioms that involve the fox than the cat. Its right up there with the Dragon, Tiger, Monkey, and pig - the more popular when it comes to subjects of a story, saying, or idiom. By far - the most popular, hands down, are the monkey and dragon. I dunno how many lucky charms have a monkey holding a peach or a dragon chasing a pearl.

Being a monkey, it was cool at first to see my sign everywhere -- now I am over it.

What about kangaroos people? Those things are awesome.

MissEm

Post by MissEm » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:57 am

A slightly different take on the story:

zodiac.asia1.com.sg/zodiac.htm

aquasquirrel

Post by aquasquirrel » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:10 pm

I read somewhere that in Chinese astrology it is the rabbit but in Vietnam it is the cat...

Return to “Chinese Zodiac”