What are your favorite decks?

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Pagancrafter

What are your favorite decks?

Post by Pagancrafter » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:00 pm

My top two favorite decks are the Goddess Tarot, and the Whimsical Tarot.  The Goddess Tarot works well for me because it draws on the Lore of different Goddesses for the imagery throughout.  The Whimsical Tarot I find especially effective, and would recommend it to a beginner.  The reasoning behind this is that the images in the cards are based on fairy tales that are fairly commonly known; if one knows the tales, one can derive especially good readings from this deck.

What are your favorites and why?

--Pagancrafter

PaganPriest

Post by PaganPriest » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:38 am

Rider-Waite, always. Never can seem to get a decent reading from any other deck.

Gem

Post by Gem » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:16 pm

I wonder why that would be so then Pagan Priest? Have you tried any of the Rider Waite clone decks?

I love my Rider Waite deck too, but I also love the Radiant Waite, the Universal Waite, Tarot of the New Vision, Spiral Tarot, and many many more :)

Forest Of Mysteries

Post by Forest Of Mysteries » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:57 pm

I couldn't choose just one, I have so many! I love them all I think I am addicted to buying decks lol.

I like the Goddess Tarot, and use the pocket size version and carry that with me, I also love the Spiral and Animals Divine Tarot :)

Rachel1786

Post by Rachel1786 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:01 pm

My favorite deck is the gilded tarot, but i also have legend the arthurian tarot and the rider waite.
Rachel
Attachments
The high presteiss.jpg
The high presteiss.jpg (25.87 KiB) Viewed 7583 times

Forest Of Mysteries

Post by Forest Of Mysteries » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:12 pm

If you love the Gilded, then the Tarot of Dreams will be next I bet! Both by Ciro Marchetti, but the ToD is a bit larger :) Beautiful decks

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:11 pm

I believe the reason RW is the most widely used is not its being beautiful -although it seemed so to me at the time I first saw it and bought it, my very first, many many years ago-, but its being the easiest to read, through its simple but appealing lines and its primary colors jumping out if each image. And, mainly, because it was one of the first to have illustrated minor arcana -and, boy, does that help my poor memory!-.

As for beautiful, there are many much more beautiful and I have some of them, since I used to collect the ones with the minor arcana illustrated, like Spiral, Chinese, Medieval Scapini, Ancestral Path, Robin Wood's... But I've never been able to focus on them well enough to give a good reading: I tend to get distracted with the beautiful images while missing the obvious connections. I do find them very neat to use when I want to keep some cards in a spread in sight for a few days as a reminder: that way I still have the whole WR pack for other readings if the need should arise.

I haven't bought any new ones for a long time and I admire greatly some of the pictures included in this thread: had never seen them and they look gorgeous. Thanks for sharing them  :smt007

tabi

Post by tabi » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:54 pm

I love most all of my decks for different reasons. I now have 18 (yeah I added a few to the collection)..only one that I really don't like at all. The Mareilles but tis a gift. But the one key factor of me is the artwork draws me into it....

My odd collection:

Black by Luis Royo (Foutier)
Decameron (LS)
DruidCraft
Gilded Tarot (Llewellyn)
Hanson-Roberts
Llewellyn (bit redunant-Llewellyn)
Lunatic
Manara: The Erotic Tarot (LS)
Quest Tarot (Llewellyn)
Russian of St. Petersburg (US Games)
Ship of Fools
Tarot Sutra (Waite-Smith but done with purple hues)
Tarot de Marseille Mini
Tarot ReVISIONed
Tarot of Dreams  
Thoth (US Games)
Universal Fantasy (LS)
Witches (Llewellyn)

They all get equal use with me, there are some I love because of the colors alone (Gilded/ToD), the uniqueness (Quest/Black) and some simply because they make me smile! The one that still has the power to floor me with the amount of detail and sheer impressiveness is the Tarot ReVISIONedImage
Attachments
Hermit_ReVIS.jpg
The Hermit from the Tarot ReVISIONed
Hermit_ReVIS.jpg (993.56 KiB) Viewed 2731 times

Gem

Post by Gem » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:00 pm

WOW! someone else has the Black deck!!!

tabi

Post by tabi » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:33 pm

Yup Royo is an amazing artist, his other deck the Labyrinth never really caught my attention the way the Black does. :D

pirbid

Post by pirbid » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:06 pm

Yep, I used to have it, too. Some artists are amazing. But I think I must have given it away on one of my cleaning sprees...

I think I'll try to get the Guilded, even though I stopped buying decks for a few years. It looks great on your pics.  :smt007

Bandit81101

Post by Bandit81101 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:26 pm

The Rider-Waite always creeps me out.  I get a horrible feeling every time I'm around it, and get sick to my stomach.  I have no idea why that happens, I myself find it very wierd considering I've never used it, or had a reading with it.

Gem

Post by Gem » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:33 am

If you've never used it or had a reading by it, what exactly is it that creeps you out? The name, the title, what? Just reading Rider Waite?

Gem

Post by Gem » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:34 am

What about the Golden Waite or the Rider Haggard? Or the Universal Waite or the Radiant Waite?

tabi

Post by tabi » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:36 am

I simply have never cared for the tradition RW it is amazingly ugly to me. (sorry) but I have found a deck the Tarot Sutra that is moody and darker that I like and I have always been fond of the Radiant one...LOVE color. But I have to agree with Gem...why does it creepy you out?

Return to “Tarot”