How Do You Know If...

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

itssimplyjenny

How Do You Know If...

Post by itssimplyjenny » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:45 am

Hi Ive always been fascinate by Tarot cards and even thought about buying a pack for myself a couple of times.  What I want to know is how do I know if I can read tarot like so many people on here?

George

Re: How Do You Know If...

Post by George » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:49 am

itssimplyjenny wrote:Hi Ive always been fascinate by Tarot cards and even thought about buying a pack for myself a couple of times.  What I want to know is how do I know if I can read tarot like so many people on here?
yes, you can read the tarot like everyone here!    :smt003  don't worry about how others read if you passion is to read you will read and if your passion is strong enough the better you will be.   :)

unless you mean i don't have the ability to see into the future or something along those lines...  :smt017  i wouldn't worry about that either.  your not going to see the future you going to be reading the cards as they fall.  

as you may or may not know Gem offers a free Tarot class and by taking that course all your worries will fall to the waste.  will be shocked how easy it really is!   :smt006

Gem

Post by Gem » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:46 pm

Thanks George :)

Jenny buy your deck and off you go :)  If you want any tips on which deck, George and I are definately Rider Waite fans, so go for one of these decks, The Original Rider Waite, The Universal Waite or perhaps the Golden Waite or Radiant Waite. Have a look at all the decks you can and choose one you like :)

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:31 pm

I second Gem's opinion on your first choice of deck.
Go for the Rider Waite deck. Am a fan of that too myself and it is a good place to start.

Nazrath

Post by Nazrath » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:36 pm

Surely the deck chosen matters little if the meanings art eternally the same? I know people that use normal card decks for Major Arcana, and people that only ever use Dragon decks. I've noticed little difference 'twixt the validity of the two, and it seems to myself at least that 'tis merely a matter of personal perception. I used a deck based around a few varying futharks for a while ere it became saturated in a puddle, but I've found Golden Dawn decks to suit me particularly well, maybe due to my teenage fascination with Thelema...either way, I've found no problems using whatever deck unless the imagery is non-congruent with my aesthetic, and even that is likely to be psychosomatic! :smt002

Antigone

Post by Antigone » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:47 pm

This was my question too, and somebody told me, you don't need to have a gift to read Tarot.  Anybody can do it. :)

singerofpeace

Post by singerofpeace » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:22 am

I absolutely agree, all it takes to get started is allowing yourself to have an open mind and heart, and then practice!  Once you learn to trust your own natural intuition, I think you'll realize that it absolutely is a gift to read... and it's a joy to access that gift.  It's not a gift only given to few, in my opinion.  I always tell people that I read for to consider picking up a deck and trying it themselves... it changed my whole way of living.

And I agree that you could pick any deck that appeals aesthetically to you, but... for a beginner, the Rider-Waite deck (and the Universal Waite, Albano-Waite, etc.) is very good to learn with.  The symbolism is very clear with them, and many decks used that symbolism as the foundation for their own designs.  Once you get the more basic (but still very meaningful) images of the Rider-Waite cards, it's easy to work with other decks that may have embellished or taken a different spin on the symbols.

Best of luck!

Return to “Tarot”