Read a book or read your intuition?

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

lenas

Read a book or read your intuition?

Post by lenas » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:33 am

Hi!

Well, im new to tarot... And from reading the posts here it has come to my understanding that you can interpret the cards yourself? I never knew that!

I always thought that you had to learn what each card meant individually, Then on top of that... learn what each card meant when placed next to or across other cards. Because the meaning may change depending on what the surrounding cards were. (whew! still following this?)  :smt017

So I bought a book, and I like the interpretations and meanings in it.
It lists what the cards mean in a reading, what the number associated to it indicates. For example the emerpor is a 4. And 4's mean manifestation of an idea etc.

Each card also has the same 32 categories... unions, romance, finance, work/career, travel, the home , etc.

While doing a reading you think of a question, do a spread, and look under that category for each card. For example if you were asking a question about career you would look under the categories for career, finances, success, etc. you wouldnt look under the category for romance.

Sorry for the confusion!!!!!!!! But does this mean that I am following the interpretations of the author?
Can I make up my own interpretations? What if they colide with other peoples meanings? What if I like the authors meanings? Does this mean that I will have to use her book as a reference all the time?

Please Help
And THANK YOU!

Rev_Vesta

Post by Rev_Vesta » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:48 am

Working with Tarot/Oracle cards... there is no right or wrong way.. you do what you feel is right for you....

You could check out the Tarot study thread here and see whether that helps.....

You could continue to learn from the book you have....... play play play with the cards and the meanings and soon you will understand the meaninggs from the author....

or you could decide to take a different card each day and work with it by meditation, seeing what it means to you........
using your own intuition.....

If you want to include numerolgy..... create a chart that makes it easy reference.....
you may decide to work with colours....... within each card...........

Only you can decide how you will work with a deck...........

Blessed Be!
Vesta
Love and Light,
Namaste
Rev_Vesta........

Rev_Vesta

Post by Rev_Vesta » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:51 am

Added note.....

YOu may find you at first use your intuition at a quick glance for a quick overview,  then you may use the book for further insight........and more information.....

You decide..... it does not matter if you mix the two....... trust yourself....

if you stat reading for others listen to the feedback, do not take it personally but use it to improve your clarity...

Vesta
Love and Light,
Namaste
Rev_Vesta........

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:18 pm

I agree with Vesta...
Books were made or written as guidance... every topic has a book to guide us by way of a textbook. I would like to work both parallel to each other and then you yourslf will discard the book and start using your intuition. Take the book as a stepping stone and then you within yourself will realise you dont need it anymore - not because you have learnt the meanings by heart, but by just being familiar with the cards' messages.
It happens with me that the same card gives me different messages at different situations and readings..... Be open to all.

Xia

Re: Read a book or read your intuition?

Post by Xia » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:38 pm

lenas wrote:
I always thought that you had to learn what each card meant individually, Then on top of that... learn what each card meant when placed next to or across other cards. Because the meaning may change depending on what the surrounding cards were. (whew! still following this?)  :smt017
Yes that is correct, and how to read tarot  traditionally. Each card has several meanings and in different places different dignities, and learning these means that you will be able to read most decks easily and correctly. No extra talent is needed, no pyschic powers or intuition or experience. the cards are interpreted according to the original author which nowadays is usually Arthur Waite.
So I bought a book, and I like the interpretations and meanings in it.
It lists what the cards mean in a reading, what the number associated to it indicates. For example the emerpor is a 4. And 4's mean manifestation of an idea etc.

Each card also has the same 32 categories... unions, romance, finance, work/career, travel, the home , etc.

While doing a reading you think of a question, do a spread, and look under that category for each card. For example if you were asking a question about career you would look under the categories for career, finances, success, etc. you wouldnt look under the category for romance.

Sorry for the confusion!!!!!!!! But does this mean that I am following the interpretations of the author?
Yep and you have picked an author that has written a book about their way of reading. What was the book and the deck?
Can I make up my own interpretations? What if they colide with other peoples meanings? What if I like the authors meanings? Does this mean that I will have to use her book as a reference all the time?

Please Help
And THANK YOU!
Reading intuitively is different and works far better if you do have a working knowledge and understanding of tarot already. Several meanings can be right but sometimes a meaning is wrongly placed and incorrect. People usually give up learning tarot because they see it as too much hard work and boring and unflexible. There are many easier ways to read depending on what your goal is.

Xia :o)
Walk up the steps of life and feel the warmth of the sun, allow the energy to fill your soul and lift your spirit.

mystic67

Post by mystic67 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:44 pm

Well I read with a combination of the two. But I think I favor the intuitive way, I guess it depends on how much you
trust your intutive impressions. I always lean more heavily on the intuitve approach when reading for others. Once you
get used to the cards, what they look like, how each of them makes you feel when you see it, the little symbols you
start to pick up on each of the cards, it seems that you start to I guess fit "your" meaning to them. Its like when you
are wanting to ask a certain question about love or career, there will be certain cards you draw repeatedly and you
start to know what that means for you. Thats kind of how it works for me. I say play with the cards allot, just have
fun with them and get used to them first. When I first started I think I was way to serious with them. That influenced
my readings.
D

FutureVizions

Post by FutureVizions » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:24 am

I read with intuition, but I first learned with a teacher and several books.

Get a handle for the basics, then start developing your own system.  Tarot is a VERY personal, subjective art.

Return to “Tarot”