readings for yourself vs. others

For Tarot discussions and general questions.

Moderators: eye_of_tiger, shalimar123, TarotModerator

Songstress

readings for yourself vs. others

Post by Songstress » Wed May 13, 2009 4:14 am

Do you find readings you give yourself to me inaccurate?  When I was reading regularly, my readings were off when doing my own.  When I read for others they tended to be more accurate.  I wasn't sure if this held true for everyone or just some people.

Rook

Post by Rook » Wed May 13, 2009 5:47 am

Songstress

I am definitely not a pro on this.  Have dabbled in tarot a bit but look at the symbols more than divination.  From my understanding though I think it is much the same as dream interpretations where when self-reading there is a tendency to bias the reading.  Often this is because rather than taking the symbols and reading them, we have a specific reading in mind and try to make the symbols fit our pre-concieved reading.  There is a necessary skill involved to clear the mind before undertaking the reading, pretend like you have no idea of the subject at hand.  Easier said than done in my mind.

This could potentially be a cause of the problem.

Cheers,
Rook

Songstress

Post by Songstress » Wed May 13, 2009 5:50 am

yeah, i know what you mean.  i eventually stopped doing readings on myself all together.  now i just let other people do it.  i need someone outside of the situation in order to avoid being biased.

Rook

Post by Rook » Wed May 13, 2009 5:59 am

It is a skill you will probably develop more with your dream interpretation as well, because Jung has stated, and I have experienced, when you don't get the dream right, or you don't take on the advice and it is urgent, it will come back again, similar theme but different symbols.

Perhaps you should unearth the cards or get new ones and start up again.  It will be a valuable skill to have, particularly if you are going to take self-analysis / dream interpretation with you into the future.  You can also help others with your readings.

Songstress

Post by Songstress » Wed May 13, 2009 6:06 am

I've thought about doing that.  I will have to relearn the cards.  I may be working fulltime again real soon, so I'm not sure how much time I will have to focus on it.

irish witch

New To Tarot

Post by irish witch » Wed May 13, 2009 10:17 am

Hi everybody.. i am currently learning reading tarot cards, and am very interested in this x

Payewacker

Post by Payewacker » Wed May 13, 2009 10:48 am

Hi,
When doing your owreadings, i found, it accurate, but you as a person will be biased and bend the meanings to suit yourself! Generally, i don't neccesarily say it's wrong, but at most not to be trusted. Not the cards, but your own oppinions.

So, to relearn the cards, won't fix your problem, but raise a lot more?

Blessed be
Do as you want, Harm none!

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Wed May 13, 2009 12:08 pm

I have had similar experience myself in my own readings... I hardly do them anymore.

I did a long reading for myself - the Celtic Cross - which Payewacker has put a different light on with his recent tutorial, and I found it did answer my question(s) but I did not delve too deep into it. I just looked at the cards......and went... hmmmm..... and put them back. I did not sit and interpret all the different positions and the symbolism of each card..  I may have been scared in case my biased opinion led me into seeing things which were not there..... or vice versa.

Best let others do your readings for you and also ask what cards they got. That way you will see their intuitive approach and the way they see/interpret the cards vs the situation.

It is a learning process......... all the way!!!!!

Songstress

Post by Songstress » Wed May 13, 2009 2:46 pm

Payewacker wrote:Hi,
When doing your owreadings, i found, it accurate, but you as a person will be biased and bend the meanings to suit yourself! Generally, i don't neccesarily say it's wrong, but at most not to be trusted. Not the cards, but your own oppinions.

So, to relearn the cards, won't fix your problem, but raise a lot more?

Blessed be
I was referring to relearn the cards so I can do reading again in general.  It's been years since I've done a reading.

jembie

Post by jembie » Thu May 14, 2009 8:40 am

I do feel the same way about self readings. I know what I want the outcome to be and find I interpret the cards to lead me to that conclusion.

aparajita

Post by aparajita » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:09 am

A disconnect is very important before you get into a reading for yourself or for someone who is very close to you. It is very important to have a clear mind before you get into a reading, where the output matters to you, where you hold a stake.
Meditation has helped me disconnect, I usually spend sometime meditating before I do a reading for myself. After which I focus on the question at hand, ask the cards for guidance on the best course of action and create the spread.
Beginner in Tarot reading

cedars
Tarot reader

Post by cedars » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:34 am

Good point Aparajita!

Kaperuzita

Post by Kaperuzita » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:47 pm

I think that the main problem with self-readings if that you usually use them to "confirm" something you already believe, and so, you interpret the cards in order to suit you. So, I gave up and bought a tarot desk only for myself, "The Tarot of the Spirit". I'm the only one who touches it and I only read it to myself. It has become a tool for meditation and self-knowledge but I don't use it to predict, only for advice.

Return to “Tarot”